• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mortisfacio

Banned
Here we go again with that persecution and victim complex.

Let's make one thing clear here : The ONLY reason people are "hating" on the game is due to the absurd, bloated and biased 10/10 reviews from (xbox-affiliated) sites/"journalists".
This is in no way, shape or form a 10/10 game, shit, it's not either a 9/10 or a 8/10 but hey, you have to blame someone...

That, and the 7-ish years it took for it being a super-short, one and done type of game.

I wish you'll show the same enthusiasm come Death stranding 2 release (wink*wink)

There's no victim complex. Demigod, Ass of Can and James Sawyer all have a history of being pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft. Feel free to check their post history and confirm that.

They also happen to be the most outspoken in this thread. That's not a victim complex. That's connecting the dots.

S0ULZB0URNE

Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

Uh? As someone who played The Order for the second time less than 6 month ago, I strongly disagree. I couldn't even finish the game even if I LOVE the period, the art style and Werewolves. It was just too boring.
I'm not saying Hellblade II is a masterpiece, but so far I'm much more interested/invested in it than anything coming from The Order.

And I don't see what gameplay The Order has that is better than HBII.
You do more and doing more is important in games that don't offer enough "gameplay"

Topher

Gold Member
Fanboy metacritic reaction
Ghost of Tsushima 83 score : Masterpiece
Stellar Blade score 81 score: excellent
HellDivers 2 score 81 score : exceptional

Same Fanboy metacritic score reaction
Starfield 83 score : Trash
Hell Blade 2 81 score: Garbage
Forza Motorsport 8 84 score: ass

God of War has had two games with metacritic scores in the 90s and yet they get all kinds of hate with the "Dad of War" references. Spider-man 2 got tons of hate for all the "woke" side content. Stellar Blade got tons of hate for censorship. Ghost of Tsushima got hate for being a Ubisoft clone.

So yeah.....dissenting opinions are always there. You really going to pretend it only applies to Xbox?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This works both ways. Are the same people who criticized Sony games as "movie games" now suddenly in love with this "movie game"? As a fan of Sony's "movie games" I can say quite confidently that those games are not nearly as lacking in the gameplay department as Hellblade 2. Not even remotely. So I think the criticisms here don't really match up at all. If I were playing God of War predominately with my left thumb then that would absolutely be something worth criticizing, but that just isn't the case. Here....it absolutely is, at least for the first half of the game.

Don't "get wild on the internet" trying to get people to like a game they don't like. Also works both ways.
I genuinely don't understand how people can make this argument James has been making for several years nonstop. Do the Sony movie game fans also love Hellblade 2equally to Sony 1st party content? No they don't. They're different games. I don't even like God of War 1 identically to God of War Ragnarok, and they have tons of almost identical elements. Hellblade plays nothing like a Sony game, and every Sony fan on here agrees with that. Why would anyone make this argument? It would be a bad argument in general, but it's literally intolerable if it's coming from someone who doesn't even pass their own standard and feels differently about these products as well. It's like you guys are saying that you liked a movie, so you have to like all movies. I can't believe anyone actually believes this is a fair argument worth repeating 100s of times.

I don't care how anyone else feels about Hellblade 2. I could put myself in someone else's shoes and see how it can be hated; the unusual mo-cap heavy combat, the psychosis storyline and audio, the slow pacing with limited gameplay. I could see someone giving it a 5/10, even if they loved every single Sony game. It doesn't affect me at all, and I don't try to talk any of those people out of their opinion. I just say what I think, just my personal take. That's literally all I ever say. I don't follow people around and tell them they need to like certain games they don't like.

Last edited:
There's no victim complex. Demigod, Ass of Can and James Sawyer all have a history of being pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft. Feel free to check their post history and confirm that.

They also happen to be the most outspoken in this thread. That's not a victim complex. That's connecting the dots.

I could say the same thing about the "other side's" fanboys Mortis, so what ?
Unless you mean to tell me that only the pro Sony dudes are the ones being assholes in this forum.

Shit bro, we literally have MS shills (and no, it's not Punished Miku nor Dench Deckard and neither Adam's Throat) which continue to astroturf unbothered in here and every time someone calls them out they start the typical crying and ban-baiting.

Now what ? what's their excuse ?

Also : something something Death stranding review thread, it was a shitshow.
So no, it's not about the Xbox tax® or hate

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
I could say the same thing about the "other side's" fanboys Mortis, so what ?
Unless you mean to tell me that only the pro Sony dudes are the ones being assholes in this forum.

Shit bro, we literally have MS shills (and no, it's not Punished Miku nor Dench Deckard and neither Adam's Throat) which continue to astroturf unbothered in here and every time someone calls them out they start the typical crying and ban-baiting.

No what ? what's their excuse ?

You're now turning this into an overall across the forum and through time. Yes, there's biases. I 100% get that. I'm a PC player since the 90s. I'm biased towards Steam over other platforms. That's fine, but that's not part of this discussion.

All I said was in regards to this particular game, in this particular topic, the most outspoken negatively are posters with a history of being anti-Microsoft and pro-Sony. That's it. I even went on to say some genuinely don't like the game, biases aside, and that's OK, but you then got offended and are trying to play the both sides argument.

Last edited:

XXL

If you notice the trend of hate for this game in this thread alone, majority of the negativity comes from primarily PS5 players. There's a pretty clear console warring aspect to the hate. Some people genuinely aren't a fan of the style, and that's fine, but the most outspoken are all pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft posters (ass of can, demigod, james sawyer, etc.).
A bunch of us own Xbox's and PCs (like myself).

Lets be real here, the game didn't even break 4000 players on Steam and is already being discounted on key sites.

It's not just "PS5 players hating on it".

You also need to understand everywhere you go Xbox fanboys will be outnumbered by PlayStation fanboys....Playstation outsells the Xbox by a wide margin consistently.

Stop with the persecution, it gets old.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I genuinely don't understand how people can make this argument James has been making for several years nonstop. Do the Sony movie game fans also love Hellblade 2equally to Sony 1st party content? No they don't. They're different games. I don't even like God of War 1 identically to God of War Ragnarok, and they have tons of almost identical elements. Hellblade plays nothing like a Sony game, and every Sony fan on here agrees with that. Why would anyone make this argument? It would be a bad argument in general, but it's literally intolerable if it's coming from someone who doesn't even pass their own standard and feels differently about these products as well. It's like you guys are saying that you liked a movie, so you have to like all movies. I can't believe anyone actually believes this is a fair argument worth repeating 100s of times.

Then reply to the post I was replying to and point out that the Sony game comparison isn't valid.

You're now turning this into an overall across the forum and through time. Yes, there's biases. I 100% get that. I'm a PC player since the 90s. I'm biased towards Steam over other platforms. That's fine, but that's not part of this discussion.

All I said was in regards to this particular game, in this particular topic, the most outspoken negatively are posters with a history of being anti-Microsoft and pro-Sony. That's it. I even went on to say some genuinely don't like the game, biases aside, and that's OK, but you then got offended and are trying to play the both sides argument.

I didn't got offended, i'm just expressing my opinion like you did with yours - unless that's something that's not allowed anymore in here.

Also : when I see bullshit I'm gonna call it out.

Agree to disagree, we won't be able to see eye to eye on this one and that's perfectly OK.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just played what felt like a 2 hour cave level that made me want to kill myself. the level is basically walking in a cave lighting up the path and then walking some more. maybe 3 combat scenarios and they all play the same so not like it matters. Not to mention the constant fucking talking in your ear through out those 2 hours. and i mean constant. literally every second there is someone talking. every single mother fucking second.

And all of that inner dialogue is trash. its extremely poorly written. it basically boils down to this.
Voice 1: She's brave.
Voice 2: She's not.

Voice 1: Go back.
voice 2: Keep going.

Voice 1: Sky is blue.
voice 2: fuck you.

voice 1: its dark.
voice 2: its bright you cunt.

It's like this ALL the time. Literally every second. Not every other second, on every single second these two cunts are talking over each other.

I dont care if this is what schizophrenia is like. It is not fun. It is bad writing. Whoever thought this was good writing needs to be fired and then sent to epstein's island. The writing deserves an fucking razzie. Level designer of that level deserves to be laid off or forced to go work on elder scrolls online levels just so he sees what basic level design 101 from the 50s looks like.

Seriously, fuck the constant whining and constant walking. I hope phil shuts this studio down because this isnt video games. this is torture.

Mortisfacio

Banned
A bunch of us own Xbox's and PCs (like myself).

Lets be real here, the game didn't even break 4000 players on Steam and is already being discounted on key sites.

It's not just "PS5 players hating on it".

You also need to understand everywhere you go Xbox fanboys will be outnumbered by PlayStation fanboys....Playstation outsells the Xbox by a wide margin consistently.

Stop with the persecution, it gets old.

I swear there's some reading comprehension issue here with you and Giallo.

Player count has nothing to do with views on the game. There's plenty of "good" or "bad" games with low player count. That's not the topic of discussion at all.

Maybe put my prior post into ChatGPT and ask it to explain it to you?

Gudji

Hellblade 2 and Starfield shouldn't be in the 80s.

Forza got trashed on because it lowered its quality.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Then reply to the post I was replying to and point out that the Sony game comparison isn't valid.
Weak response dude. This is the final sentence in that post you had such a huge issue with.

"you don't like it don't get wild on internet trying others not to like it."

I totally agree with that. That's what I was just saying. I don't care if you want to give Hellblade a 4/10 like James does. I've never once quoted him to try and talk him out of that score. That's the difference. I don't expect him to like everything identically. I don't do that to anyone.

Last edited:

Bitch I love xbox. See reciepts below

Of course I love xbox

Of course I love Xbox

of course I love xbox

of course i love xbox

of course I love xbox

Topher

Gold Member
Weak response dude. This is the final sentence in that post you had such a huge issue with.

"you don't like it don't get wild on internet trying others not to like it."

I totally agree with that. That's what I was just saying. I don't care if you want to give Hellblade a 4/10 like James does. I've never once quoted him to try and talk him out of that score. That's the difference. I don't expect him to like everything identically. I don't do that to anyone.

That's all fine, but i wasn't talking about you at all.

Tomeru

Just played what felt like a 2 hour cave level that made me want to kill myself. the level is basically walking in a cave lighting up the path and then walking some more. maybe 3 combat scenarios and they all play the same so not like it matters. Not to mention the constant fucking talking in your ear through out those 2 hours. and i mean constant. literally every second there is someone talking. every single mother fucking second.

And all of that inner dialogue is trash. its extremely poorly written. it basically boils down to this.
Voice 1: She's brave.
Voice 2: She's not.

Voice 1: Go back.
voice 2: Keep going.

Voice 1: Sky is blue.
voice 2: fuck you.

voice 1: its dark.
voice 2: its bright you cunt.

It's like this ALL the time. Literally every second. Not every other second, on every single second these two cunts are talking over each other.

I dont care if this is what schizophrenia is like. It is not fun. It is bad writing. Whoever thought this was good writing needs to be fired and then sent to epstein's island. The writing deserves an fucking razzie. Level designer of that level deserves to be laid off or forced to go work on elder scrolls online levels just so he sees what basic level design 101 from the 50s looks like.

Seriously, fuck the constant whining and constant walking. I hope phil shuts this studio down because this isnt video games. this is torture.

Last edited:

I told you he was a massive cunt :messenger_tears_of_joy:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The weird hate this game have is absurd, there's definitely some console warring factor into it.

The funny/cringy part of it is that most of the arguments used to criticize this game are things that many of us that are mostly into other types of games (RPGs, Nintendo and mostly japanese stuff for me) use to criticize most Sony and western games, but those are praised somehow lol.

Get your mind together people, you don't like it don't get wild on internet trying others not to like it, the ones that like this game are pretty happy and even amazed by it, including myself.
This same thing can be spun back in the other direction. That’s why this goal keeping is pointless.

Yep but need to equate for the Sony tax

Subtract 20-30 points from those overrated Starfield and HB2 scores reviewed by the shill media and pity party “don’t close me bro” triggered press that hang out on ERA’s Microsoft sponsored discord

Last edited:

LordCBH

Subtract 20-30 points from those overrated Starfield and HB2 scores reviewed by the shill media and pity party “don’t close me bro” triggered press that hang out on ERA’s Microsoft sponsored discord

Ghost of Tsushima aligned much closer to my view of a 90 than an 80. Played through it twice and felt it was underrated.

Demigod, Ass of Can and James Sawyer all have a history of being pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft.

I own an XSX

I am not anti Microsoft

I’m anti- shitty, overrated games like HB2 that the “pro garbage” posters (like yourself) continue to overrate and excuse which allows MS to continue on their path of terrible first party games, especially when they closed down one of the few bright spots they had

Rockman33

Demigod, Ass of Can and James Sawyer all have a history of being pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft. Feel free to check their post history and confirm that.

They also happen to be the most outspoken in this thread.
Absolutely true. I go into a thread about Xbox to see peoples opinions reactions to the topic. And 90% of the shit talking is from these 3 assholes. I don’t get it. If you hate Xbox then just stay out of the threads about Xbox.

King Dazzar

I tried playing on my XSX but can't handle the frame rate, Game is clearly GPU bound so don't see why 60fps isn't an option
Yeah I just watched the DF take on it. Looks like they could easily add a 40fps mode plus unlocked VRR ones too for XSX. Hopefully/maybe it gets some more options added.

Black bars is going to help performance, but really, they shouldn't be forced, especially if there's headroom with its current 30fps mode. Unless, they're planning for a cinema release of course... lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone walk me through why this has forced black bars?

wider FoV by default

Sony tax? pity party? holy shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom