• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mortisfacio

Banned
See, you're doing it again man, you're defending the undefendable, you're taking sides ('cause you're not impartial as you might think), you're calling people idiots and fanboys, but, when people call you out you pull out the chatGTP and the "hey, i'm just making an observation" schtick.

This doesn't work they way you think it should work, you're allowed to your "unbiased" opinion but when people need to retort, you should allow them, this is how a discussion should go, otherwise, it's just a monologue.

The problem is this all starts from a reading comprehension issue on your end.
Here we go again with that persecution and victim complex.

Let's make one thing clear here : The ONLY reason people are "hating" on the game is due to the absurd, bloated and biased 10/10 reviews from (xbox-affiliated) sites/"journalists".
This is in no way, shape or form a 10/10 game, shit, it's not either a 9/10 or a 8/10 but hey, you have to blame someone...

That, and the 7-ish years it took for it ending as a super-short, one and done type of game.

I wish you'll show the same enthusiasm come Death stranding 2 release.

God damn, absolutely zero self-awareness, fanboys calling other people fanboys...

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't...etc etc 😉
This was your long winded reply to this:

Some people genuinely aren't a fan of the style, and that's fine, but the most outspoken are all pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft posters (ass of can, demigod, james sawyer, etc.).

You addressed nothing of what I said (that the most outspoken in this thread, these 3 in particular, have a long history of console warring as pro-Sony). You then went on to address why people like yourself don't like the game, which is fine as I already stated, but you seem to have missed or were unable to comprehend. You then go on to compare it to death stranding, which I didn't enjoy as I'm on record multiple times saying that it overstayed its welcome (Hellblade asks you to walk for 5 hours and be done, Death Stranding asks you to walk for 20+ hours - i got bored and uninstalled).

You addressed nothing I said. You had an argument about nothing I mentioned. This is why I say reading comprehension/use ChatGPT to assist you. I'm not sure how you could misunderstand a simple observation SO much, but yet here we are. Not sure which public school you dropped out of, but I suggest you go back.

I'm not talking about a review tax. I'm talking about hypocrites on NeoGaf.

If we could see tomorrow, what are your plans?
No one can live in sorrow, ask all your friends
Times that you took in stride they're back in demand
I was the one who's washing blood off your hands
Don't you cry tonight
I still love you, baby
Don't you cry tonight
Don't you cry tonight
There's a heaven above you, baby
And don't you cry tonight
I know the things you wanted, they're not what you have
With all the people talkin', it's drivin' you mad
If I was standin' by you, how would you feel?
Knowing your love's decided and all love is real, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
Don't you cry tonight
Don't you cry tonight
There's a heaven above you baby
I thought I could live in your world as years all went by
With all the voices I've heard something has died
And when you're in need of someone, my heart won't deny you
So many seem so lonely with no one left to cry to, baby
And don't you cry
Don't you ever cry
Don't you cry, tonight
Baby, baby, someday
Don't you cry
Don't you ever cry
Don't you cry tonight

FlyyGOD

If we could see tomorrow, what are your plans?
No one can live in sorrow, ask all your friends
Times that you took in stride they're back in demand
I was the one who's washing blood off your hands
Don't you cry tonight
I still love you, baby
Don't you cry tonight
Don't you cry tonight
There's a heaven above you, baby
I know the things you wanted, they're not what you have
With all the people talkin', it's drivin' you mad
If I was standin' by you, how would you feel?
Knowing your love's decided and all love is real, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
Don't you cry tonight
Don't you cry tonight
I thought I could live in your world as years all went by
With all the voices I've heard something has died
And when you're in need of someone, my heart won't deny you
So many seem so lonely with no one left to cry to, baby
And don't you cry
Don't you ever cry
Don't you cry, tonight
Baby, baby, someday
Don't you cry
Don't you ever cry
Don't you cry tonight
Nobody comes to NeoGaf to read your C plus graded poetry class semester project.Bet you thought I got him with this burn huh?

Last edited:
The problem is this all starts from a reading comprehension issue on your end.

This was your long winded reply to this:

You addressed nothing of what I said (that the most outspoken in this thread, these 3 in particular, have a long history of console warring as pro-Sony). You then went on to address why people like yourself don't like the game, which is fine as I already stated, but you seem to have missed or were unable to comprehend. You then go on to compare it to death stranding, which I didn't enjoy as I'm on record multiple times saying that it overstayed its welcome (Hellblade asks you to walk for 5 hours and be done, Death Stranding asks you to walk for 20+ hours - i got bored and uninstalled).

You addressed nothing I said. You had an argument about nothing I mentioned. This is why I say reading comprehension/use ChatGPT to assist you. I'm not sure how you could misunderstand a simple observation SO much, but yet here we are. Not sure which public school you dropped out of, but I suggest you go back.

Now you're playing coy.
Let me spell it out for you clearly, so that you don't need to use chatGTP :

You think you're unbiased but you're not.
You keep calling others fanboys but G'damn if your 1st post that started it all didn't reek of fanboyism.
You think you're not taking sides but you clearly are.
You keep calling others names but when they retort you reply with the "making an observation" and the chatGTP shtick...repeatedly.

Playing coy and going circles around a Convo does not a good retort make - nor replying with a holier than thou attitude.

Hope I was clear enough this time man.

PS : Just making an observation myself

yep. correction:
images

Bernardougf

Gold Member

The irony of your comment is that you actually literally proved that the only likely legitimate review 'tax' around is a 'PlayStation Tax'.

First, remove Stellar Blade from this because it's not a Sony owned game. I would personally add Days Gone there instead (Metascore: 71).

Second, you said fanboys... but in reality all those three Sony games (GOT, DG, and HDII) have sold around 10 million units each, which means the general (read: non-console war centric) gaming audience have in large number found those lower-rated Sony games to be worthy of purchasing, whereas in contrast, Starfield performed extremely underwhelming compared to other mainline Bethesda games, and both HBII and Forza bombed in a catastrophic manner.

A good illustration for this is Days Gone (Metascore: 71) versus Hellblade II (Metascore: 81). DG was released 3 years ago on PC (and that's 2 years after the initial PS4 launch), and it currently has a slightly higher player count on Steam versus the 2-days old Hellblade II which had a day-and-date PC release (and an 81 Metascore).

dg.jpg

hbii.jpg

So either critics are biased against those very popular PlaySation games (read: PlayStation Tax), or somehow the better user reception and higher player count on Steam is... because of PlayStation fanboys? (it sounds dumb to even write / hypothesize this last bit).

P.S. check out that user review score of Days Gone on Steam (91.4%) versus its Metascore (71), and that should tell you all you need to know about this so called 'tax' allegation.
Days Gone was a heterosexual male centric game with a female asking to be "rode like a bike" ... the chance of good reviews by the purple media was close to zero... 71 is still high for such a transgression in gaming narrative in their eyes. No Bigot sandwich line.. no good scores for you.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
See, you're doing it again man, you're defending the undefendable, you're taking sides ('cause you're not impartial as you might think), you're calling people idiots and fanboys, but, when people call you out you pull out the chatGTP and the "hey, i'm just making an observation" schtick.

This doesn't work they way you think it should work, you're allowed to your "unbiased" opinion but when people need to retort, you should allow them, this is how a discussion should go, otherwise, it's just a monologue.
People giving unbiased opinions in other threads generally are in xbox threads loosing their minds to defend something from xbox ... pay attention and see the pattern, most of our "neutral gaffers" astroturf xbox threads... it is an amazing coincidence to say the least.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The difference is that Hellblade 2 is a 5-6 hour game while the others are 15-40 hours long. Those walking and talking are somewhat forgivable because there's a lot of gameplay left in the game.
It's rather have them as short experiences, they're great for what they want to achieve, if I want gameplay in not going after your typical western AAA anyway, to me almost all of them lack interesting non-copypasted gameplay inn the end 🤷

Kataploom

Gold Member
It is silly comparing HB2 to Sony narrative focused games. In HB2, the combat is the exact same the first hour as it is in the last hour. It doesn't change or progress in any meaningful way. You mention the Last of Us, it has deep gameplay/stealth mechanics, especially on "Grounded" mode. To this day, it has a really strong "Speed running" community that play it on a daily basis because of the gameplay. And the TLOU2 has possibly the best 3rd person combat in any game ever. I love challenging games like Sekiro, and TLOU franchise scratches that itch better than 99% of video games. It is a terrible example

And every premiere 1st party release by Sony over the last 7-8 years offers at least a good gameplay experience that progresses throughout the game. Yes, they are all heavily narratively driven, but they all have a good foundational gameplay loop. No, they don't usually cater to the "Dark Souls" crowd but then again, only a handful of studios emphasize combat to the hardcore gamers similarly. It is a silly comparison
Idk about most Sony games but TLOU would be the last example I'd give of complex gameplay, let alone the constant walky talky sections, for me what others say about HB2 is what I perceive about those game and that's why I think they look kinda hypocrite.

Hell I'm impressed there's people that actually play TLOU for the gameplay, like honestly.

Last edited:

Crayon

The sony games I've played all had good gameplay by 10+Mil mass-market standards. Horizon is probably the sloppiest I've tried and that shits on asscreed, for instance. I've heard lou2 compared to mgs5 which makes me really want to play it. Looks 2scary4me though. I don't like seeing people get their heads bashed in and stuff. Graphics are too real for that kind of thing these days.

Mortisfacio

Banned
Idk about most Sony games but TLOU would be the last example I'd give of complex gameplay, let alone the constant walky talky sections, for me what others say about HB2 is what I perceive about those game and that's why I think they look kinda hypocrite.

Hell I'm impressed there's people that actually play TLOU for the gameplay, like honestly.

I think it's important to differentiate TloU 1 vs 2. 1 had some pretty awful gameplay. 2 wasn't amazing, but significantly improved from the 1st.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think it's important to differentiate TloU 1 vs 2. 1 had some pretty awful gameplay. 2 wasn't amazing, but significantly improved from the 1st.
Yeah I meant 1, haven't played 2, I'm waiting for it on PC, it's not that I hated the first one, just didn't see why it's so praised and it bugs my brain how many of these people complaining here and on X are clearly Sony fans when they have a game that isn't much better in that regard and I don't eat the higher difficulty narrative since I'm referring to actual mechanics, not that you have you your second brain and 4 hands to master them in order to have fun because that's not a game I'd be so invested.

Hellblade 2 has a style that is great for those moments where you just want to seat and relax braindead between heavy hitters, we seriously need more of those games these days.

BTW I'm thinking Hellblade 3 might come even sooner since they probably got their pipeline used to UE5, which is why not many studios have transitioned to current gen imo.

What a shit show is this thread guys.

Anyway, even if you could not like it, Microsoft has shown everyone, for the very first time, what these console are capable of.

But this game is limited in scope. Very linear and hardly much of a game world to explore. Not taking away how impressive it looks because it is probably the best looking title out today but would like to see the current consoles pushed to their limits in open world or wide linear games.

I guess for that we can count on Rockstar, Kojima Productions & The Coalition.

Really looking forward to seeing what the next Gears game looks like.

GooseMan69

2 is literally best in class. There’s only a small handful of games in that genre that can compete with it.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's rather have them as short experiences, they're great for what they want to achieve, if I want gameplay in not going after your typical western AAA anyway, to me almost all of them lack interesting non-copypasted gameplay inn the end 🤷

It's not about what your personal preference is. You tried to compare long walking and talking seconds in Hellblade 2 to Sony and RPG games. I'm telling you its different because people are going to be less critical of those sections when the game is much longer.

Topher

Gold Member

TLOU gameplay is light years better than HB2. It isn't even close and frankly, your opinion shouldn't be take seriously at this point. Ridiculous.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Hellblade 2 has a style that is great for those moments where you just want to seat and relax braindead between heavy hitters, we seriously need more of those games these days.

DForce DForce Above tells you why he loves it so much, I don't think you can convince him otherwise. He just wants to relax to braindead games and he wants more of the same and it's perfectly fine. At least he admits he loves snoozefest games and let's give him that for his honesty.

Video Games GIF by South Park

It's not about what your personal preference is. You tried to compare long walking and talking seconds in Hellblade 2 to Sony and RPG games. I'm telling you its different because people are going to be less critical of those sections when the game is much longer.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
2 is literally best in class. There’s only a small handful of games in that genre that can compete with it.

For it's genre, it's definitely upper tier. My complaint with 2 was that it went on too long. I actually would have preferred more gameplay and less cutscenes the last 5 or so hours. I felt like Druckmann got too pretentious with his storytelling and cinematics and it just wouldn't end. Hellblade (both) also suffers from this arguably too pretentious or artsy in its presentation, but I have less issue with it in Hellblade because the game ends after 5-7 hours. It doesn't overstay its welcome.

Feel free to disagree, but I beat the 1st almost entirely melee on grounded difficulty because of how poor the AI was. There was no challenge. Were there options for more ways to play? Sure, but the enemies weren't smart enough to need to do anything else. This was fixed in 2, which is a large reason why I said it's significantly better.

Last edited:

demigod

Now you're playing coy.
Let me spell it out for you clearly, so that you don't need to use chatGTP :

You think you're unbiased but you're not.
You keep calling others fanboys but G'damn if your 1st post that started it all didn't reek of fanboyism.
You think you're not taking sides but you clearly are.
You keep calling others names but when they retort you reply with the "making an observation" and the chatGTP shtick...repeatedly.

Playing coy and going circles around a Convo does not a good retort make - nor replying with a holier than thou attitude.

Hope I was clear enough this time man.

PS : Just making an observation myself
There’s a reason why I said “fake neutral”, now you know.

Topher

Gold Member
EmktABL.gif

*insert JAWS theme*

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping can come at me all he wants but my love for Starfield will not be denied!

Feel free to disagree, but I beat the 1st almost entirely melee on grounded difficulty because of how poor the AI was. There was no challenge. Were there options for more ways to play? Sure, but the enemies weren't smart enough to need to do anything else. This was fixed in 2, which is why I said it's significantly better.

Whatever......it shits all over HB2's ridiculous "gameplay". Shouldn't even be in the discussion. Challenge? Come on.

This is getting absurd.

Last edited:

demigod

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping can come at me all he wants but my love for Starfield will not be denied!

Whatever......it shits all over HB2's ridiculous "gameplay". Shouldn't even be in the discussion. Challenge? Come on.

This is getting absurd.
See, you should’ve been on his list along with ass and james, yet he put me on there. YOU TOO GHG GHG

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned

This is getting absurd.

My comment was simply that TLOU1 had awful gameplay, whereas 2 didn't. In a direct reply to someone stating TLOU is a poor example of complex gameplay, so I commented to differentiate between the 2. I made no comparison to Hellblade. Not sure what's absurd about that.

Topher

Gold Member
My comment was simply that TLOU1 had awful gameplay, whereas 2 didn't. In a direct reply to someone stating TLOU is a poor example of complex gameplay, so I commented to differentiate between the 2. I made no comparison to Hellblade. Not sure what's absurd about that.

TLOU didn't have awful gameplay at all. Why is TLOU even being discussed except for trying to deflect from HB2's horrible gameplay? That is exactly what is absurd.

Mortisfacio

Banned
TLOU didn't have awful gameplay at all. Why is TLOU even being discussed except for trying to deflect from HB2's horrible gameplay? That is exactly what is absurd.

I'm not sure why TLOU is being brought up. I didn't bring it up or read far enough up the chain to know why it was brought up. Just provided input on differentiating. TLOU1 had awful gameplay. Feel free to disagree with that, that's fine, but I felt it sucked. It was my GOTY because of story, character development and presentation. The gameplay was poor.

I'm not sure why TLOU is being brought up. I didn't bring it up or read far enough up the chain to know why it was brought up. Just provided input on differentiating. TLOU1 had awful gameplay. Feel free to disagree with that, that's fine, but I felt it sucked. It was my GOTY because of story, character development and presentation. The gameplay was poor.
someone brought TLOU up as an example of a cinematic game that Sony does or something that’s very cutscene heavy - but they were comparing it HB2, which I think anyone can see both TLOU1 and 2 were leagues beyond HB2 in the gameplay department

Topher

Gold Member

Do you honestly believe Hellblade 2 has better gameplay than either TLOU 1 or 2? Yes/No

Mortisfacio

Banned
Do you honestly believe Hellblade 2 has better gameplay than either TLOU 1 or 2? Yes/No

No. I never said it did. My comment was in direct response to someone saying TLOU is the last example of complex gameplay. I commented that there should be a distinction between 1 and 2, because 2 was significantly better for gameplay. I never mentioned Hellblade nor compared TLOU to it. That's why I'm confused.

Topher

Gold Member
No. I never said it did. My comment was in direct response to someone saying TLOU is the last example of complex gameplay. I commented that there should be a distinction between 1 and 2, because 2 was significantly better for gameplay. I never mentioned Hellblade nor compared TLOU to it. That's why I'm confused.

Fair enough. Think the TLOU discussion needs to end here. Sorry if I misread you.

Vroadstar

Gold Member

TLOU is brought up by the poster who likes to relax to braindead games to deflect HB2's horrible gameplay (or barely any). So yes, let's end it there.

Blocking Wonder Woman GIF

Top Bottom