• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Topher

Gold Member
You know......if you look at the score prediction poll a certain way.....

lAVgslQ.png
Finger Shut Up GIF by Cody Simpson

DavidGzz

This thread is peak neogaf. It has everything. Holy shit.

The fanboy shit is so toxic lol. Sad af. If this was multiplatform this would be so different. The BS was even affecting me. I was down on the game until I played it. It's great, in line with ACG and Yongyea's reviews(only ones I watched). Should have just listened to them and ignored the haters. This is one game I cannot play at work, need my full focus and headphones.

Btw, the combat is really fun. The dynamic difficulty does a great job of keeping it engaging. People mentioned TLOU2. That's what the combat reminds me of(when one on one with Abby). Visceral with a very satisfying perfect parry. Or like the Kratos vs. Thor fight.

Last edited:
The fanboy shit is so toxic lol. Sad af. If this was multiplatform this would be so different. The BS was even affecting me. I was down on the game until I played it. It's great, in line with ACG and Yongyea's reviews(only ones I watched). Should have just listened to them and ignored the haters. This is one game I cannot play at work, need my full focus and headphones.

Btw, the combat is really fun. The dynamic difficulty does a great job of keeping it engaging. People mentioned TLOU2. That's what the combat reminds me of(when one on one with Abby). Visceral with a very satisfying perfect parry. Or like the Kratos vs. Thor fight.
damn. the reverse toxicity is also very annoying.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I get home later tonight and can't wait to get back on it. Got a 48 inch lg oled hooked upto my pc to play on.

The laptop was fine for the first hour to check it out but I gotta see this thing maxed out.

Hell I'm impressed there's people that actually play TLOU for the gameplay, like honestly

I understand this is a HB2 thread (btw this thread is just peak gaf, keep it up fellas) but responding to this as I was just roaming gaf I saw this same take in the Neil thread. People actually don't think TLoU has good gameplay?

I wouldn't say part 1 reinvented the wheel or anything like that, but I feel like the lowest I would be able to call the gameplay in that is average at worst. Part 2 had some of the best gameplay loop I can remember from a third person shooter. I also understand that people have different tastes. These devs aren't gonna be able to please everyone but look at the outrage there was was the last of us online was cancelled. Even fractions on the first game has a big following for a good bit. I guess I would just ask, if those games arent good gameplay what third person shooter would these people recommend because I need to try them out asap.

Sacred

Agree 100%, there has been at least half a dozen jaw dropping moments so far. I'm happy they are varying the puzzles and added more enemy combat. Also, mastering the parrying system has been really entertaining with the dynamic difficulty.

DavidGzz

I get home later tonight and can't wait to get back on it. Got a 48 inch lg oled hooked upto my pc to play on.

The laptop was fine for the first hour to check it out but I gotta see this thing maxed out.

I have a 55" LG OLED CX for my cpu monitor and it looks insane! I was using TSR but I wonder if DLSS+DLAA would look even better? Anyone try both?

I understand this is a HB2 thread (btw this thread is just peak gaf, keep it up fellas) but responding to this as I was just roaming gaf I saw this same take in the Neil thread. People actually don't think TLoU has good gameplay?

I wouldn't say part 1 reinvented the wheel or anything like that, but I feel like the lowest I would be able to call the gameplay in that is average at worst. Part 2 had some of the best gameplay loop I can remember from a third person shooter. I also understand that people have different tastes. These devs aren't gonna be able to please everyone but look at the outrage there was was the last of us online was cancelled. Even fractions on the first game has a big following for a good bit. I guess I would just ask, if those games arent good gameplay what third person shooter would these people recommend because I need to try them out asap.

People are on crack TLOU2 had amazing gameplay and I cannot fucking wait for the next entry. Imagine if it looks like HB2 or better. Jesus. Goddamn, I'm glad I'm not a tribal fanboy that can't enjoy games from all platforms.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

People are on crack TLOU2 had amazing gameplay and I cannot fucking wait for the next entry. Imagine if it looks like HB2 or better. Jesus. Goddamn, I'm glad I'm not a tribal fanboy that can't enjoy games from all platforms.
In my defense, Xbox doesn't have anything worthwhile to play, except for Hellblade 2, which will come to PS5 eventually anyway.

Imo.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

In my defense, Xbox doesn't have anything worthwhile to play, except for Hellblade 2, which will come to PS5 eventually anyway.

Imo.

I get that if you're only into consoles. I'm playing on PC. My comment was just to people who are ragging on the game just because it's on a platform they don't have without even playing it.

Killjoy-NL

I get that if you're only into consoles. I'm playing on PC. My comment was just to people who are ragging on the game just because it's on a platform they don't have without even playing it.
Lol yeah, as a PS gamer, I'm used to it. I'll just read between the line.

I think it's just a case of what comes around, goes around. Lol

The same happened with Heavenly Sword, The Order and Hellblade 1.
(3 of my all-time favorite games, btw)

Not sure what people were expecting from NT, tbh.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
God of War has had two games with metacritic scores in the 90s and yet they get all kinds of hate with the "Dad of War" references. Spider-man 2 got tons of hate for all the "woke" side content. Stellar Blade got tons of hate for censorship. Ghost of Tsushima got hate for being a Ubisoft clone.

So yeah.....dissenting opinions are always there. You really going to pretend it only applies to Xbox?
You forgot both horizon that are considered trash here on gaf.

Last edited:

Kerotan

It is multiplatform. Although poor Xbox and Switch bros.

Killjoy-NL

I really wish Guerilla would move to a new IP. Maybe the new Horizon GAAS game will actually have actually good combat? That is the main issue I have
Is GG developing the Horizon MMO?

I would love it if the rumored Killzone BF-like multiplayer game is real.
It was name dropped a few years back, Killzone: Breach iirc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hellblade 2 will likely get pushed out to coincide with PS5 Pro launch.

If MS are out of the platform war trenches (as they say) its a no-brainer to target such a visual heavy title at a new platform launch targetted at console users interested in max fidelity gaming.

NikuNashi

If MS are out of the platform war trenches (as they say) its a no-brainer to target such a visual heavy title at a new platform launch targetted at console users interested in max fidelity gaming.

What will be the retail on this though, I doubt anyone on PS5 will pay more than 20 ~ 30usd for this now the cat is out of the bag about how short and how much it lacks gameplay.

King Dazzar

The games platform, isnt the issue for me. A forced letterboxed presentation, with very limited gameplay and a primary focus on walking and cut scenes is. That said, to each their own.

If you take issue with the combat then it's highly unlikely it being in the GAAS format will solve anything for you.
I'm quite confident the Horizon GAAS will dramatically change the gameplay loop of the first two games. Hopefully GG add actually good melee combat and they fix the ultra-confusing material system. I'm expecting more survival elements as well

Zheph

I'm quite confident the Horizon GAAS will dramatically change the gameplay loop of the first two games. Hopefully GG add actually good melee combat and they fix the ultra-confusing material system. I'm expecting more survival elements as well
I am not a big horizon fan but what's so confusing?

Just finished it today. Took me 5 hours and 46 minutes and I found most collectables. Overall its a fun experience, I wasnt bored at any point. For what it offers I think the game length is fine because it barely evolves after the first chapter. It doesnt do much different than the first game and you have to take into consideration that this is a gamepass game. I think id be singing a different tune if I had to pay $50 for a 5 hour game with no replayability. Its a one and done game, had my fun for "free", uninstalled and wont ever need to play it again.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It's a very slow (like they intentionally slow you down type of slow) kind of game, even when using the run button. Sound is good, graphics are mostly good, enemies are copy and pasted with the same move set and with only 1v1 there's not a great deal of action. The story (so far) is OK.
Am I near the end? :messenger_weary:

f02Hellblade2WinGDKShip.jpg

Top Bottom