• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still don't see any discussion to be had. As someone who played both and liked both, considering they're both story heavy games I'd definitely give HB2 the upperhand, at least it feels like a complete game. The Order can fuck off with that bullshit cliffhanger ending that will never get closure.
But what do they say? Opinions are like assholes?

I played both and agree with Dustin.

What’s better about HB2?

The QTE combat?

The non stop voices?

The boring story and characters?

I can’t see anything other than graphics

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
4.5 stars on Xbox

Weird, seems the community likes it.

Good luck on your crusade though, friend.

"The community" is a small group of fans who like THIS TYPE of game. It's not the mainstream audience, and should not be the overall media, either.

I don't have any problem with people loving the game, I also like some walking sims, the truly good ones (I don't think this is the case, but that's debatable). The problem here is the double standards. No professional outlet can score this the same as Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone or Stellar Blade. That's fucking insane. I add Ryse son of Rome or Quantum Break to that list. They are cinematic, with more content, and FUN gameplay. Definitely, better games than this one.

The Order was a half-assed game that got fairly roasted for false advertising, which is very similar to what XBOX execs have been doing with Hellblade II.

GudOlRub

I played both and agree with Dustin.

What’s better about HB2?

The QTE combat?
The Order has better combat for me since I prefer shooters, but I honestly had a blast with it in HB2, although simple, it's immersive af.
The non stop voices?
Have you played the first game? Should anyone who played the first game be annoyed or surprised with this? What am I even supposed to answer to this question? A surprised pikachu face?
The boring story and characters?
I personally loved the story and really enjoyed the characters, especially Thorgestr

So, again, opinions.

The Order has better combat for me since I prefer shooters, but I honestly had a blast with it in HB2, although simple, it's immersive af.

Have you played the first game? Should anyone who played the first game be annoyed or surprised with this? What am I even supposed to answer to this question? A surprised pikachu face?

I personally loved the story and really enjoyed the characters, especially Thorgestr

So, again, opinions.

Im not seeing anything here justifying a near 20 point gap in meta

GudOlRub

Im not seeing anything here justifying a near 20 point gap in meta
I am, the bullshit ending from The Order alone takes those points away.
And then there's the price, even though 50$ is still quite expensive, The Order back in the day was a full-priced tech demo, people were obviously quite angry about that, but since in this case not only the game is not full-priced but you also have gamepass, seems like people don't really see a reason to complain and probably give the game some leeway because of that.

I am, the bullshit ending from The Order alone takes those points away.
And then there's the price, even though 50$ is still quite expensive, The Order back in the day was a full-priced tech demo, people were obviously quite angry about that, but since in this case not only the game is not full-priced but you also have gamepass, seems like people don't really see a reason to complain and probably give the game some leeway because of that.

gamepass is a tax efficient wrapper confirmed

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

That is mostly down to the types of games they are. Hellblade doesn’t pretend to be something else or isn’t in a genre where there are loads of games doing it better. The Order tried to be a cinematic “experience” type game but wrapped that around a third person cover shooter but it was extremely average at best at everything in that regard.

If I am playing a “walking sim” where it emphasizes story and presentation, why would I want that bogged down with below average shooter gameplay?

It doesn’t help that Hellblade has growth in characters and an interesting story, but The Order has absolutely nothing going for it there besides setting.

That is mostly down to the types of games they are. Hellblade doesn’t pretend to be something else or isn’t in a genre where there are loads of games doing it better. The Order tried to be a cinematic “experience” type game but wrapped that around a third person cover shooter but it was extremely average at best at everything in that regard.

If I am playing a “walking sim” where it emphasizes story and presentation, why would I want that bogged down with below average shooter gameplay?

It doesn’t help that Hellblade has growth in characters and an interesting story, but The Order has absolutely nothing going for it there besides setting.

3SS6RGZ.gif

GudOlRub

gamepass is a tax efficient wrapper confirmed
Honestly, this but unironically.
For people who enjoy these types of games, 10$ to play them at launch is a sweet deal. Then one day if I feel like replaying them, I can buy them for 5$ later down the line just like I did with The Order.
Whether this is good financially speaking is not my problem, it's up to the developers and Microsoft to deal with that.

So The Order should have had a disclaimer on the box saying “does not play like Uncharted or Gears of War”

Just like Hellblade had a warning saying “Do not expect this to play like God of War”?

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

LordCBH

I've had the order 1886 for about 5 years digitally. I'm deffo playing it after this to compare.

There’s like two levels that Chuck a bunch of enemies at you with a bunch of different guns to use. Those levels were nice. There’s also a shit ton of custscenes. I think one chapter was like a 40 minute cutscene if I remember right. I have like two trophies left to get the plat on it but they’re collectibles and I don’t know if I wanna

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
So The Order should have had a disclaimer on the box saying “does not play like Uncharted or Gears of War”

Just like Hellblade had a warning saying “Do not expect this to play like God of War”?

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

But it did play like Uncharted and Gears. Just watered down generic versions (speaking solely of gunplay/combat).

And that’s ignoring the fact that meh gameplay in a walking sim can be ok, if the narrative makes up for it and The Order was trash there as well.

You’re making a fool of yourself with all this Order shit. I mean hey, I love it, but at some point, have a shred of dignity.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I've had the order 1886 for about 5 years digitally. I'm deffo playing it after this to compare.
I haven't played it yet. I got it on a deep sale and its in my backlog. I'm sure it's pretty good. Most people seem to enjoy the setting. Like I said when people were grilling me about daring to change my mind when I tried Hellblade 1 on launch day in 2017 and was put off, to then giving it a 2nd chance in 2024 and really enjoying it, most people have been exposed to a much broader range of indie games and art games in those 9 years between The Order and present day. People's perspectives have generally grown a little bit to become more accepting of indie style narrative focused games. This is also mentioned in the Digital Foundry video. I think in 2015 most reviewers didn't really have the range to try and judge The Order for what it is, and instead compared it to the standard TPS retail model template and graded it very harshly. I seriously doubt it's truly deserving of a 60 or whatever it is, but sometimes shit happens, like The Ascent and tons of other games I've liked that get unfairly rated. It didn't help launching The Order at full price though. I think both Sony and MS failed marketing both of these games and didn't adequately prepare people for the style of game it is; probably on purpose because it's a niche gameplay style that is always going to be divisive.

most people have been exposed to a much broader range of indie games and art games in those 9 years between The Order and present day. People's perspectives have generally grown a little bit to become more accepting of indie style narrative focused games.

I’m not sure if this is true. We’ve had lots of games like this dating back many generations from flower and journey where they came more into prominence for being artsy non-games.

I honestly think there’s less tolerance for these experiences today than back then just because it’s kind of played out at this point.

My problem with HB2 is that it was pitched as a more traditional game and an expanded sequel…what we got turned the series more into an artsy non-game than the original

And what’s worse is how much of a slog it is to progress. Journey actually has a nice soothing rhythm to it

HB2 is slow walk sections with constant voice interruptions or character movement interruptions. It’s maddeningly annoying to play.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I’m not sure if this is true. We’ve had lots of games like this dating back many generations from flower and journey where they came more into prominence for being artsy non-games.
Sure, and point and click games decades ago. I just know that this is definitely the case for me, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's the case for most reviewers. I've played a broader variety of indie games on Switch and Xbox Series than I ever did prior to that. I would have never in a million years played a game like Harold Halibut, Indika, Immortality, or countless other bizarre games in 2015. It was a huge, huge jump in indie game quantity and experimentation just this generation. I think a lot of people get thrown off by the retail packaging as well, as it carries certain expectations that Journey never did. The whole debate is really a question of expectations. I think it was probably smart to price Hellblade at a lesser price, and also skip a retail physical release for both of those reasons. Probably also why it wasn't marketed heavily. All 3 things change people's expectations. I don't really remember what talk of the Order was like prior to release and if people were caught off guard. I also heard people say there's a cliffhanger, which could rub people the wrong way if it's a short game. It was also out closer to launch so The Order had the weight of a system on its shoulders when PS4 had a long drought if you remember; with only a handful of titles like inFamous and Ground Zeroes for a while. I mostly played Wii U for the first 3 years of PS4 because it was really light. I just think shit happens and most people are fine acknowledging that Ready at Dawn got a raw deal and they're a skilled team.

Last edited:

Tomeru

This comparion with The Order™️ seems to confuse many here.

One is objectively "more game" based solely on the fact that it has more actions to perform. I don't see how anyone can refute this.

Also because of that fact, the order is more open to comparisons, but that doesn't excuse HB2 from any comparisons because "cant be compared" becsuse of how you "feel" about the game. That's rediculous.

You liked HB2? Good for you. Since its marketed as a game, compare it to any other game you played.

But it did play like Uncharted and Gears. Just watered down generic versions (speaking solely of gunplay/combat).

And that’s ignoring the fact that meh gameplay in a walking sim can be ok, if the narrative makes up for it and The Order was trash there as well.

You’re making a fool of yourself with all this Order shit. I mean hey, I love it, but at some point, have a shred of dignity.

And HB2 plays like a watered down QTE action game

What is your point exactly? The order is a more competent shooter than HB2 is an action game

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
And HB2 plays like a watered down QTE action game

What is your point exactly? The order is a more competent shooter than HB2 is an action game

QTE with no QTE’s.

Thread continues to deliver

Also no, Order was not a competent shooter at all. You can at least say the combat animations and parries in Hellblade are great.

But you’re going to argue in bad faith regardless, Mr what is good about The Order story? “uh the vibes are good!!”

😆🤡

QTE with no QTE’s.

Thread continues to deliver

Also no, Order was not a competent shooter at all. You can at least say the combat animations and parries in Hellblade are great.

But you’re going to argue in bad faith regardless, Mr what is good about The Order story? “uh the vibes are good!!”

😆🤡

Bro do you even play action games?

HB2 isn’t even competent, it’s literally as basic as you can get (QTE)

This Ellie and Abby fight? Nah, they are identical. TLOU2 even has quick time events. Maybe that's the deep mechanic they stripped in HB2 lol. I wasn't talking about the sneaking around, seeing through walls, using traps, etc. Come on.

These were the worst parts of the game for me lol. So I’ll probably hate Hellblade 2

Bernardougf

Gold Member
First off I was just giving my impressions, not reviewing it.

I made that clear.

I didn't say anyone was crazy except me. I said giving it 10 is insane (as a game that is) and 81 seems like crazy town, meaning too high (to me). You just took offense to that and got triggered by it.

You want my honest opinion about the reviews.

Sure.

First the numbers are so low right now, it's hard to get a solid impression.

But, I do understand there are some people that like these types of games.

I also know there is a serious fear of Xbox hardware being eliminated right now and I think that is partially playing into the favorable looks on this particular title. Not to mention it checks alot of boxes the media likes.

For me as a piece of interactive art it's ok (it's definitely beautiful) but it has some seriously annoying shit about it though.

As a game, it's trash. Its barely a game.

So overall I think Ninja Theory is a talented studio that is digging their own grave making walking simulators.

And I think fanboys (like yourself) have killed your own brand by ignoring issues with Xbox games (like this one) and doing this persecution routine every fucking time instead of acknowledging different opinions, all while whoring for Game Pass (which I'm sure you can relate to).

All fanboys are bad, but I'll give you an example of the difference between Xbox fanboys and Playstation fanboys that you can see in this very thread.

No one is trying to say the Order 1886 is a 10/10 or even an 8/10. They acknowledge the downfalls, while highlighting the good parts. They even agree with the 63/100 score.

People (like you) are in here are trying to dismiss every single criticism of Hellblade 2 as people just hating on it and then try to gaslight you if you don't think it's a high as it reviewed or you think it is and won't acknowledge all of its numerous flaws, ever. You guys did the same thing with Starfield.

This is all part of why your favorite ecosystem is going down in flames right now.

Look in the fucking mirror.
GMNb8Qr.gif

Kssio_Aug

I see you didn't mention something that might be important in a game... gameplay. So, it's basically a movie?
I mentioned the action is fantastic, but since you didn't bother to read even one line, I won't waste my time writing a full review for you. Also, you can read or watch a review already if you want, but it's clear your mind is already made up, even though you likely haven't even tried the game.

Your loss though, not mine.

Btw, I'm gonna go back to the game rn!

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Gudji

First off I was just giving my impressions, not reviewing it.

I made that clear.

I didn't say anyone was crazy except me. I said giving it 10 is insane (as a game that is) and 81 seems like crazy town, meaning too high (to me). You just took offense to that and got triggered by it.

You want my honest opinion about the reviews.

Sure.

First the numbers are so low right now, it's hard to get a solid impression.

But, I do understand there are some people that like these types of games.

I also know there is a serious fear of Xbox hardware being eliminated right now and I think that is partially playing into the favorable looks on this particular title. Not to mention it checks alot of boxes the media likes.

For me as a piece of interactive art it's ok (it's definitely beautiful) but it has some seriously annoying shit about it though.

As a game, it's trash. Its barely a game.

So overall I think Ninja Theory is a talented studio that is digging their own grave making walking simulators.

And I think fanboys (like yourself) have killed your own brand by ignoring issues with Xbox games (like this one) and doing this persecution routine every fucking time instead of acknowledging different opinions, all while whoring for Game Pass (which I'm sure you can relate to).

All fanboys are bad, but I'll give you an example of the difference between Xbox fanboys and Playstation fanboys that you can see in this very thread.

No one is trying to say the Order 1886 is a 10/10 or even an 8/10. They acknowledge the downfalls, while highlighting the good parts. They even agree with the 63/100 score.

People (like you) are in here are trying to dismiss every single criticism of Hellblade 2 as people just hating on it and then try to gaslight you if you don't think it's a high as it reviewed or you think it is and won't acknowledge all of its numerous flaws, ever. You guys did the same thing with Starfield.

This is all part of why your favorite ecosystem is going down in flames right now.

Look in the fucking mirror.
Check This Out Cookie Monster GIF by Sesame Street

Reactions: XXL
Top Bottom