• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Ninja Theory) is the Game Informer cover story for May

FelipeMGM

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fOwL0RiTF4

2017_2D00_05_2D00_cover_2D00_spread_2D00_800h.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

After the development of DMC, Ninja Theory began dreaming about a spiritual sequel to Heavenly Sword. Unfortunately, the barrier to entry for big-budget development is continually on the rise, and the studio began to wonder if it still wanted to compete in the cutthroat market of triple-A game development. Hellblade is Ninja Theory's response to the "Go big, or go home" mentality of traditional publishers. Over the past several years, the Hellblade team has remained lean and mean, constantly seeking shortcuts to traditional game-development problems in the hopes of delivering a game with a strong artistic vision that doesn't sacrifice on high production values.

It'll be interesting to see what they've learned from developing DmC. Without Hideaki Itsuno guiding their hand this time, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a side note, did we ever figure out what the bulk of their staff actually does these days?

They don't seem to have a financial backer for this in particular, so I assume something is keeping them afloat.

jennetics

Thought this was interesting. From Wikipedia:
Senuna was a Celtic goddess worshipped in Roman Britain, whose name was at first read incorrectly as Senua.
Had to look up the name because it just sounded like NT was being artsy with their naming for the sake of being artsy.

Also,
Over the past several years, the Hellblade team has remained lean and mean, constantly seeking shortcuts to traditional game-development problems in the hopes of delivering a game with a strong artistic vision that doesn't sacrifice on high production values.

I wonder what the heck that bit means.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm glad NT exist and are making games like these. Hellblade looks fantastic tech wise and the real time capture performance they are doing will probably set the bar for the industry. Quite a unique and interesting premise for a game as well. Take those risks!

NeoRaider

Character doesn't even look like this in-game. This is edited to look even more like Senua's actress.
Hopefully we hear something about the release date.

FelipeMGM

As a side note, did we ever figure out what the bulk of their staff actually does these days?

They don't seem to have a financial backer for this in particular, so I assume something is keeping them afloat.

their last project after the Disney Infinity cancellation was a in house VR game called DEX, but I doubt that has been able to support them fully

Phamit

Isn't Hellblade an independent project by Ninja Theory?

I don't think there are a lot of indie project with a GI Cover, congrats NT

Endo Punk

I wonder if this will finally break their curse of games that review well but under perform in sales. My only explanation why this happens with Nt despite having huge publisher's that backed them is that they do their own PR and most of the time it comes off obnoxious thus putting them in a bad light. It's always other devs are doing it wrong, here's how it's done; ND over animate, play Enslaved please. DMC is uncool, play our cool game please. Gamers always see through this.

Neonep

I wonder if this will finally break their curse of games that review well but under perform in sales. My only explanation why this happens with Nt despite having huge publisher's that backed them is that they do their own PR and most of the time it comes off obnoxious thus putting them in a bad light. It's always other devs are doing it wrong, here's how it's done; ND over animate, play Enslaved please. DMC is uncool, play our cool game please. Gamers always see through this.
Did they really say that?

Thought this was interesting. From Wikipedia:

Had to look up the name because it just sounded like NT was being artsy with their naming for the sake of being artsy.

Also,

I think that bit means outsourcing and re-using assets

Whompa02

It's such a shame that seeing a game being worked on so hard is almost certainly going to bomb miserably.

Might even be a great game. I'm personally into it, but I just don't have much faith in it making any of its investment back.

Still, looks cool.

Harlequin

They've shown a lot of that in their various dev diaries on YouTube. For example, they've built their own improvised mo-cap studio inside their offices, worked with other companies to speed up the process from mo-cap data to finished cutscene, developed tools to help a small number of designers quickly build detailed levels, etc.

It's such a shame that seeing a game being worked on so hard is almost certainly going to bomb miserably.

Might even be a great game. I'm personally into it, but I just don't have much faith in it making any of its investment back.

Still, looks cool.

The great thing about their approach is that, with the budget being considerably lower than it would be for a AAA title, they probably don't need to sell all that many copies to break even.

Aikidoka

Is that just plot wise, or does her mental health manifest itself in the game mechanics as well?

From what I recall of the dev diaries, the monsters aren't actually monsters and they were planning/wanting to do interesting things with perspective in an EchoChrome kind of way. They are sponsored by a mental health organization so they are at least serious about it.

Top Bottom