• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

Wozman23

nI9A9E9.png

oPw4NSQ.png

j7iMB6Q.png

YlwOinT.png

4J93vzt.png

fzsJy0y.png

9v5zeWL.png

7BjIMe4.png

oPw4NSQ.png

83yZUDm.png

j7iMB6Q.png

j7iMB6Q.png

oPw4NSQ.png

Wozman23

Tips:
- Check out the development diaries. They give terrific insight into the last few years of development and show how Ninja Theory went about tackling typically pricey
parts of the development process, like performance capture, by creating cheaper alternatives.
- Especially don't skip the binaural audio one, as that sound design seems to really nail the metal illness aspects.
- Play with headphones to experience the full effect. I never play with headphones, but I'll have them on the whole time for this one.

Also, as I do with many of my |OT|s, there's a subtle secret hidden somewhere.

And here's a higher contrast version for people having readability issues:

DDOJmaw.png

Do8X5Y8.png

ITzDUy8.png

uzCTHMh.png

uV3Yqje.png

8mz0VXS.png

4wFltxM.png

IBwDant.png

QnnYzE5.png

Do8X5Y8.png

IBwDant.png

Do8X5Y8.png

pakkit

Banned
wow great design on the OT! super excited, but also super nervous. this is a game where, if the tone is off or if the design feels insincere, it won't matter how many scientists helped during the development process. that said, the cinematic look has me pumped.

I don't know much about this one. It's looks really interesting. Why is it not a $60 game? Short length? It sure does not look low budget.

Wozman23

I don't know much about this one. It's looks really interesting. Why is it not a $60 game? Short length? It sure does not look low budget.

From the mouth of Ninja Theory:

Hellblade is an independently developed, AAA quality game created by a team of 20 developers. Our aim is to bring back the mid-size game, so Hellblade is about half the size of a regular AAA game and sold at half the price.... we expect a playthrough of Hellblade to take 7-9hrs.

I feel like if this is truly an honest and non-exaggerated depiction of psychosis, be it stimulant induced or bipolar/schizophrenia disorders it'll be really important for something so poorly understood by the general population given I assume the presentation and action based nature will draw a lot of people in. Fingers crossed!

At the same time fighting demons and other such things......

Edit: Or are they just tribes with masks?

Rooster

Looking forward to this one. Also hoping this and Uncharted Lost Legacy might spark a trend in smaller mid price AAA quality games.

Pity my Gold headset disintegrated, I'll need to use headphones plugged into my controller for this.

Strike

This is the first game that they've made that has grabbed my interest since Heavenly Sword. Hope it reviews well.

KillLaCam

Banned
Still have no idea what type of game this will be. But I preordered, seems really interesting. Kinda cool to not know what im in for

Wozman23

I feel like this is truly an honest and non-exaggerated depiction of psychosis, be it stimulant induced or bipolar/schizophrenia disorders it'll be truly important for something so poorly understood by the general population given I assume the presentation and action based nature will draw a lot of people in. Fingers crossed!

At the same time fighting demons and other such things......

To me the mental illness focus of the game is most interesting. Thankfully, I can't relate to serious psychosis, or bipolar, schizophrenic, or depressive disorders, but I fought through a few years of severe and chronic anxiety. I'm curious to see if those years of mental strife parallel Senua's journey.

Lateralus1993

Neo Member
Does the embargo go up tomorrow night? Have it pre-ordered and can't wait. The way people who have played it are acting (seeing as they can't talk about it yet) gets me very excited. It sounds like something special and it just seems so original.

THAT, is one slick looking OT. Really rooting for this game.

wow great design on the OT! super excited, but also super nervous. this is a game where, if the tone is off or if the design feels insincere, it won't matter how many scientists helped during the development process. that said, the cinematic look has me pumped.

Hmmm.

I was gonna say that I found it hard to read and confusing, haha.

Game looks cool as hell though.

dreamfall

What a stunning OT! I definitely can't wait to read up on this and give it a go. The art direction is truly stunning and the character art is something to marvel at. Wonder if this independent mid-tier level will work wonders.

I'm a casual fan of Ninja theory, but I must admit the gameplay videos haven't grabbed me so far. Looking forward to the reviews though.

Heavenly sword & Hellblade, I'm curious about the connection between the two.

Wozman23

Hmmm.

I was gonna say that I found it hard to read and confusing, haha.

It was a conscious choice to make it somewhat dark, difficult, and ominous to look at. I tried to find a balance between readability, a Norse rune look, and the game's dark tone. (Sometimes I still read C's as open parentheses though.)

Zambayoshi

Really interested to see what effect the small team-size has had on the 'quality' of the experience. I know they said the game is about 'half the size' of a AAA game but I would have assumed that certain things like game mechanics would present the same kind of challenges to a small team as to a large one.

Shock32

Good OT design. Game is preloading for me now. I'm pretty psyched for this game it seems perfect with headphones and playing at night.

Had no idea it came out so early in the month. But I'm gonna wait it out (subscribed) a bit to see how it handles its themes.

But yeah, at thirty bucks, that's the only thing holding me back from getting it right now.

graywolf323

Gold Member
the review embargo doesn't lift until release day right?

I'm on the fence honestly, what's been shown hasn't really caught my attention and with so much else coming out this month I might wait for a sale on this one

Another GAFer said Midnight PST on the 8th in another thread, so basically at launch.

For US PSN, it's playable at Midnight EST, and it can be pre-loaded.

Dang, I wanted to pre-oder it to get the digital comic but I'm not doing that without confirmation that the game is at least decent. Guess I'll be picking this up way later then.

Wozman23

Can I play this with my 5.1 surround sound speakers and still get the same effect?

I get the feeling the effect won't be quite as intimate. The binaural test dev diary really makes it feel like the voices are coming from in your head.

Chester Bennington?

Tom Morello?

If there's a hidden Morello reference, I'll Testify that it wasn't implanted by me.

This is probably one of the best OT's I've ever seen . Great job man.

Thanks. I always try to find interesting ways to put a lot of the game's heart and style into them. I like each one I do more and more.

I have some weird ghost faith in this game that I can't explain.

DmC was a good game. Not my Devil May Cry, but I would love NT with a new IP. Looks like this is it, and for $30 I'm game to try it and hope it kicks ass.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A reminder that Steam's countdown timer is still off by an hour, so the PC version is actually unlocking in 22 hours, not 21.

t1502164800z0.png

Scoops312

Banned
Been cautiously optimistic about this one. The art style, music, and use of audio all look incredible. Really hoping NT bounce back in the story department from DmC.

Any word on a retail release?

Ditaloi

Neo Member
I can't wait for the reviews. No games to play since a few weeks and this game seems super interesting.

Do we know how big the download size will be (PS4)?

Top Bottom