• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Games - "No Man's Sky was a mistake." [Up3: Disgruntled Employee]

Nugg

Kinda feel bad for Sean Murray.

I feel super bad for him. He doesn't strike me as someone who deliberately tried to deceive people. No Man's Sky expectations were just far too high for such a small studio, and poor communication around those expectations was the nail in the coffin. Sean really must be broken by the whole thing, and even if I get the gut reaction of the community, it often feels too harsh and personal. Yeah, it's a mediocre game, but guess what, you can still treat people with respect.

Hackers usually dont tweet something plausible and then make the account protected. Its usually about trolling or visibilty and exposure. This seems like it could be legit or at least venting and then realising its a mistake and making the profile private

MegaMelon

I feel so, so sorry for Sean. He's a dude who tried to do a thing, and the marketing/hype got completely out of control. It's been said a million times, but if this was a $15 game that wasn't the Second Coming in the publicity stuff, this wouldn't have happened. And the hounding has been relentless. I have no idea why people think it's okay to go to a company's offices, to try and find out somebody's home address; why it's okay to constantly scream at them, simply because they didn't like the thing that they purchased; why apparently people are owed updates, or a lack of silence after this. I can't fathom it. It's one of the worst examples I've ever seen of the internet being shit, and I was genuinely worried for a while that there would end up being a tragedy of some sort because of the massive over-reaction to a mediocre game that didn't quite do what it promised. And this tweet, unfortunately, is only going to make things that much worse.

Whilst you certainly raise some good points with regards to the internets reactions to this whole thing, the marketing/hyoe didn't just get out of hand by itself. Sean flat out lying and being misleading was a huge part of that and the fact that he still hasn't said anything about the situation is very telling

Fret

I feel super bad for him. He doesn't strike me as someone who deliberately tried to deceive people. No Man's Sky expectations were just far too high for such a small studio, and poor communication around those expectations was the nail in the coffin. Sean really must be broken by the whole thing, and even if I get the gut reaction of the community, it often feels too harsh and personal. Yeah, it's a mediocre game, but guess what, you can still treat people with respect.

lmao nope, he absolutely brought it all on himself. no remorse from me.

I really don't get how anyone still derives any pleasure from shitting on Sean Murray or Hello Games.

They're a young, ambitious group of developers and yeah, they messed up their PR, no need to remind me.

But goddamn, I think they've had just about enough shit thrown their way now, don't you agree? Starting to feel like a lynching here.

Nheco

giphy.gif

MADGAME

Mistake is one way to describe it. Another way is a complete lie by a deceitful piece of human garbage.

Enjoy being perceived as scum for ever more, Shawn Murray.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I feel so, so sorry for Sean. He's a dude who tried to do a thing, and the marketing/hype got completely out of control. It's been said a million times, but if this was a $15 game that wasn't the Second Coming in the publicity stuff, this wouldn't have happened. And the hounding has been relentless. I have no idea why people think it's okay to go to a company's offices, to try and find out somebody's home address; why it's okay to constantly scream at them, simply because they didn't like the thing that they purchased; why apparently people are owed updates, or a lack of silence after this. I can't fathom it. It's one of the worst examples I've ever seen of the internet being shit, and I was genuinely worried for a while that there would end up being a tragedy of some sort because of the massive over-reaction to a mediocre game that didn't quite do what it promised. And this tweet, unfortunately, is only going to make things that much worse - regardless if it's a hack or not.

I dunno dude. Its almost like people dont like being lied to constantly.

dex3108

I really don't get how anyone still derives any pleasure from shitting on Sean Murray or Hello Games.

They're a young, ambitious group of developers and yeah, they messed up their PR, no need to remind me.

But goddamn, I think they've had just about enough shit thrown their way now, don't you agree? Starting to feel like a lynching here.

Well they should start talking then. Remember AC Unity fiasco? Ubisoft had updates every few days about patches and fixes.

Also tweet was deleted too fast and account got locked/protected too fast to be a hack in my opinion.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Then give the money back.

sonto340

I imagine you'll get attacked for this post but I agree 100%
The man doesn't seem like a malicious person it just seems like they couldn't deliver his vision.

adversarial

Hopefully the dude isn't suicidal.

I'm sure it takes its toll logging on every day and seeing nothing but vitriol thrown at you for months.

that moment when a small indie studio in England gets more outrage from the gaming community than gamergate

EVH

Love that this became now "poor Sean Murray" and "the people was too hyped" or "comunication problems".

They lied, they showed videos that were just a lie saying it was in game, and at the end even not taking that into account, the game was a massive overpriced piece of crap.

Not a single pinch of pitty for this kind of people.

Dmax3901

Obviously not wanting to jump to conclusions, but can you imagine if this was a legit mental breakdown from Sean or any of the staff :(

I hope no-one does anything stupid.

There is "messed up PR" and "literally no sign of life since August". They sold a ton of games, least they can do is keep people decently updated with their plans and what they are working on.

Seiniyta

If anything it's a interesting social experiment to see what happens when you mess up as a developer and then give the silent treatment.
I feel like it's worse then actually just flat-out lying of what happened. People just went berserk.

It doesn't excuse what they've done wrong of course. But I do think the amount of absolute hatred and vileness they've received is out of proportion. There have been people going to the HG office, looking through windows, stalker-like behavior. It's kinda terrifying really.

I dunno dude. Its almost like people dont like being lied to constantly.

Right, and I get that be bent the truth; but I also think a lot of it was, We're going to do this stuff, but then they couldn't. And there aren't many pieces of art or media that don't lie at least a little in their marketing - they don't inspire the ire that this has. I think Fallout 4 was nearly as much of a failure as NMS was, say, but nobody was trying to find out Pete Hines' phone number so they could call him and hold him to account.

marcurius

Love that this became now "poor Sean Murray" and "the people was too hyped" or "comunication problems".

They lied, they showed videos that were just a lie saying it was in game, and at the end even not taking that into account, the game was a massive overpriced piece of crap.

Not a single pinch of pitty for this kind of people.
You are a an absolute baby. Jesus christ is it pathetic.

Arkeband

Banned
Hopefully the dude isn't suicidal.

I'm sure it takes its toll logging on every day and seeing nothing but vitriol thrown at you for months.

They could start a dialogue with their customers like literally any other company in history that fucks up, that would stem the vitriol.

mdubs

Banned
The way people are acting it seems like they won't be happy until he kills himself. It's sad. Get over your $60 and move on.

I would hazard to guess that 99% of people here who are mad would move on quite happily if he and Hello Games showed an ounce of contrition for the entire thing instead of silence

Top Bottom