• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Games Sean Murray will be on the Late Show with Colbert next week demoing NMS

It's definitely not "concern trolling". I'm trying to give some input on how I believe the multiplayer and social aspects of the game (since there is one--as rare as it is) could have more impact.

I know there have been some secrets that the developers have been holding close to their chest. I just hope that this is one of them. It's unlikely they would have gone through the trouble of implementing the chance of a remote online encounter if there wasn't much significance to it other than a fleeting blip in the distance.

If the odd rare encounter, late in the game towards the galaxy center, with a human player is anything more than the drop-in/drop-out, asynchronous experience we have in things like Journey, I'll eat a plate of crow and wear an avatar of your choosing for 6 months. They've been over the multiplayer thing again and again and again. And again. So yeah, knowing what they have stated countless times and responding with something along the lines of 'if that's true, I'm worried the experience will be such and such..." and "I hope they change their minds because etc... " comes off as concern trolling. To be clear, I really like your ideas. I just fail to see the point in investing energy hoping for something that likely isn't happening. I'm approaching NMS as HG is presenting it, not letting my desires run amok and create expectations that can't be met.

I always see that "the game is about exploration" comment said in response to people saying there's little to do in the game. That undersells it to be honest, I know some people try to keep their hype low and everything, but it does. There's a lot more to the game that we know of than just walking around and scanning things.

It was never meant for the masses. They are aware it is a very niche game.

They thought it would be niche until they revealed it. They were surprised at all of the attention it got afterwards. Saying this a game that will be "very niche" is just lolworthy at this point.

RiverKwai

Even after all the demos, appearances, magazine articles, IGN First, tweets, presentations, shows, podcasts and etc...

People are still just now learning basic facts about this game. Its kind of amazing to me.

Grewitch

I still believe that it's going to come out this year. Call me a mad fool, but this TV interview just cemented that assumption.

Pet peeve, but the algorithms are procedural, not random. This means that the generation of data and the outcomes of that data generation follow rules that have been set down by Hello Games.

Not to say that there won't be a bunch of rocky, barren stuff ... but that if there is, Hello Games has control over the amount of it.

i meant random as in picking a place at random not that they are made at random

...which is why they went on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert to promote it?

If I had to guess, I'd actually say the average casual console owner will like this game more than the average gaffer who jumps from AAA blockbuster to AAA blockbuster. It's gonna appeal greatly to the "chill out after work" crowd that turned Skyrim into a behemoth far beyond Bethesda's old RPG nerd base.

Those types will enjoy it for what it is. People around here talking about Elite and Mass Effect as comparison points on the other hand, are gonna have a hard comedown when this releases.

the masses buy consoles

They thought it would be niche until they revealed it. They were surprised at all of the attention it got afterwards. Saying this a game that will be "very niche" is just lolworthy at this point.

Of course they hope it isn't niche but unless game mechanics have changed massively between what has been spoken of and release, then NMS isn't your typical mass market game.

Skux

This is reaching anti-hype oversaturstion levels now. It feels like I hear more about this game than AC Syndicate or SW Battlefront.

And come on, no way he was going to announce the release date on a late night TV show.

fallout

i meant random as in picking a place at random not that they are made at random
Oh! Sorry about that, then. I think I've just gotten so used to people not understanding the difference that I just jump to conclusions.

Yeah, demos of any kind are going to be scripted, which are probably not really going to be representative of a game like this. I try to think of what demoing Minecraft would look like if you were starting from scratch and I'm sure it would just look tedious and boring.

Jobbs

Banned
This is reaching anti-hype oversaturstion levels now. It feels like I hear more about this game than AC Syndicate or SW Battlefront.

And come on, no way he was going to announce the release date on a late night TV show.

Why would that be a bad idea? What single platform do they have with more exposure than Colbert?

kyser73

Do you know anything about Elite? This is nothing like that. Every feature we've seen shows a very simplistic experience. You can shoot at shit but that isn't space sim dogfighting. You can make and spend money but it isn't a space trading sim economy. You can explore and grind materials but it isn't Minecraft terraforming and mining. It's close to Spore except without players designing aliens from the ground up.à

This game is not in the same genre as any space sim people in these threads compare it to. See EatChildren's post above. It's a space trader like Freelancer or Elite or X in the same way Minecraft is a platformers because it has jumping and floating blocks.

It's an exploration game with basic flying, shooting and an ingenus faux elements crafting system. Hello Games has never put it in the category of Elite or other games, only people in threads like these have.

It's a complete and fully formed successor to the original Elite and Frontier. Also Sean has frequently referenced the BBC B version of Elite as an inspiration for NMS.

Both of which had trading systems that work in exactly the way NMS' has been indicated will.

TimFL

Is this the most hyped indie game ever? I mean..it got on a late night show...

I'm afraid that it can't live up to the hype. It looks really ambitious (whereas in reality it could be really repetitive and get boring after a while, especially when there is no way to play it with your friends).

DrBo42

Yo, Colbert knows his shit. Asking if the ship has an ablative quality during re-entry like the ablative heat shields our space craft have.

amnesiac

The only way it "can't live up to the hype" is if you're expecting things that aren't in the game, if Hello Games is flat out lying about things, or if the game ends up broken somehow.

They aren't promising anything that hasn't been done in a game before. They have made it clear that this is an exploration-centric game, and it's obvious there's not going to be a super deep combat system or anything.

If you keep your expectations in line with all the info that Hello Games has given, I don't see how this game would be too good to be true. They're not promising anything outlandish.

Every time I see a clip where he zooms out to show the scale of the game, my jaw drops.

I still have my small, optimized gif.

nomansky7iupl.gif

I care, thats why I make a post about it.

Why do you care when there would be practically an impossible likelihood of anyone coming across that system ever.

Unless you just irrationally hate Colbert or something.

Even it it were, it wouldn't even have to have an effect on you. The game has 18000000000000000000 planets. It wouldn't effect your experience in the slightest if you didn't want it to. Just seems like and odd thing to even worry about.

I only hope that Colbert planet, Galaxy... etc. aren't in the game.

Chances of you going to it are extremely low it it were in the game.

Lack of release date again. Should be expected. Coverage has been pretty frequent for a game still lost in its own development.

labx

Banned
Why do you care when there would be practically an impossible likelihood of anyone coming across that system ever.

Unless you just irrationally hate Colbert or something.

Even it it were, it wouldn't even have to have an effect on you. The game has 18000000000000000000 planets. It wouldn't effect your experience in the slightest if you didn't want it to. Just seems like and odd thing to even worry about.

Yeah.. I don't like him that much.

You know that's gonna be your starting planet now, right?

Yes, Karma it's a bitch

It's not even a PS exclusive. The devs trying to get a same day/date for PS4 and PC would be a more sensible reason for no announcement.

PSVR isn't the only VR Platform who is to say they ain't holding back the launch to support both VR platforms?

Also anybody know if there is PS4/PC Crossplay or will it be 2 different universes?

Edit: Bonus Question

Would a No Man's Sky LE Bundle make sense/sell like Star Wars LE?

farmerboy

This game could be anything and frankly thats the most enticing thing about it.

I love daydreaming about the possibilities.

What if you could leave a short chat log on one of your planets? What if a player picked up on your trail and found you? What if you saw a character that you thought might be a real person, you initiate verbal contact on your headset and a voice came back?

Though i feel that the game might be too big for these things to happen. Although that would make the encounters all the more mind blowing.

kyser73

Does anyone know where the NMS session st the New Yorker festival is being streamed? Reddit page says it's no longer on periscope.

higemaru

I hope I have a PS4 by the time the game drops. It really looks incredible. Even if they removed all of the resource-gathering, economy stuff, I'd still be incredibly hyped for the game. I really just want a game where all you do is explore for a while without worrying about much of anything.

I'm expecting this to come out in April with Morpheus support, which is when I expect the Morpheus to release as well. This being bundled with the Morpheus makes it pretty the ultimate pull as a game to be used for that system.

Uthred

Thats exactly where I am now, its (ridiculously) long PR cycle has reached the point where I dont want to hear anything more about it other than "Its coming out XX/XX/15"

Top Bottom