• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Games Sean Murray will be on the Late Show with Colbert next week demoing NMS

Flandy

I know you think Tidux isn't reliable but eh... maybe?

iQ63H3o.png

https://twitter.com/Tidux/status/650285624361140224
When was the last time he actually got something? Aren't his predictions usually just guesses?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think they're overselling it or unnecessarily repeating content so much as some people have constructed an idea of the game in their head that isn't accurate. It seems pretty similar to Minecraft in that the reason to play has to come from the player's internal drive and inherent interest in experiencing the game world. There's no real objective beyond that (aside from the loose *get to the galactic core*).

"What do you do?", fucking nothing. That's your answer. You wander around, name shit, see shit, upgrade shit, purely in order to see more shit and upgrade more shit. That's the game. It's not Star Citizen and it's not Freelancer 2 and it's not Mass Effect: Dream Version. If it looks and sounds a bit boring to you it probably will be.

I enjoyed that demonstration, bit more variety in the environments although still not as much as I'd like. They might have deliberately not shown planets without life or a harsh environment, but I hope to see those in the game too rather than having everything completely populated as soon as you land.

Slightly offtopic but from what I get no man's sky is basically elite dangerous where players can land on planets and walk around?

Is there any chance they're going to try the "and it's available now!"? Something just feels odd with how much we've been seeing the game.

Slightly offtopic but from what I get no man's sky is basically elite dangerous where players can land on planets and walk around?

That's far too reductive to be accurate. Although we don't necessarily know the full scope of the gameplay, it seems like players will be collecting resources to craft and upgrade ship, gun, and suit components while using said ship to explore the universe.

GRIMREEFZ

WHY?! he doesnt even have an available game on the market nor a release date for one. Maybe I could be a guest next week, also for no reason.

tuxfool

Banned
...which is why they went on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert to promote it?

If I had to guess, I'd actually say the average casual console owner will like this game more than the average gaffer who jumps from AAA blockbuster to AAA blockbuster. It's gonna appeal greatly to the "chill our after work" crowd that turned Skyrim into a behemoth far beyond Bethesda's old RPG nerd base.

Those types will enjoy it for what it is. People around here talking about Elite and Mass Effect as comparison points on the other hand, are gonna have a hard comedown when this releases.

Yeah, Absolutely. A more casual crowd will also be far less critical of mechanic x or system y. They'll enjoy it as a complete experience without comparisons to other games.

Frankly there is nothing wrong with this.

I was just responding to that Tidux tweet. I am just as reliable as he is.

"Del Toro and Kojima have teamed up again to make Shmilent Shmills for iOS/Android."

Frostav

Banned
L
I know lots of people on GAF will eat that demo up, but I'm not sure going around and just tagging animals will appeal to the masses.

They can play their worthless trash then. Those of us with more erudite and sophisticated tastes will enjoy this game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I know lots of people on GAF will eat that demo up, but I'm not sure going around and just tagging animals will appeal to the masses.

Tagging isn't something I'm going to be doing much of to begin with. I'm going to be searching out a planet with a vast underground cave system to see what deadly creatures lurk down there in the darkness.

chefbags

They are really, really overselling it. The same bullshit talk that don't mean much in terms of actual gameplay. None of those planets look interesting to visit more than 5 minutes, no landmarks, just random copy and paste. It's Spore all over again.

200w.gif

L

They can play their worthless trash then. Those of us with more erudite and sophisticated tastes will enjoy this game.

Just because this game might not be to someone's taste doesn't make them less sophisticated. This is an incredibly pretentious and pompous position to take.

fallout

oh you mean the part they already know works and shows diversity possible rather then the truly random parts where you can't be sure it wouldn't be a rocky planet that's barren except mats to get off it
Pet peeve, but the algorithms are procedural, not random. This means that the generation of data and the outcomes of that data generation follow rules that have been set down by Hello Games.

Not to say that there won't be a bunch of rocky, barren stuff ... but that if there is, Hello Games has control over the amount of it.

Agent X

Gold Member
I caught the segment where they demoed the game last night. It's looking great, although it was fairly obvious that the demo sequence was "canned"and not impromptu live gameplay (which makes sense for the way they needed to present it).

I do have one concern about one aspect of the game, which Mr. Murray did reiterate on the show. I'll quote a post earlier in this thread from Icyflamez96:

You CAN come across other players and see them, but it's extremely unlikely because of just how big the game is. There are 18 quintillion planets after all. As you get closer to the center, the chances of running into another player will increase, but it will still be a slim chance. If you do come across another real player, there will be no indication aside from your own observation. If you see a ship that's flying un-AI like, then it could be another player. If you see a person in a suit get out of a ship and walk around, then it's probably another player. Stars on the galactic map will twinkle whenever a discovery is made somewhere, so you will occasionally catch that and see where someone might be in relevance to where you're at. You can also play completely offline.

I must admit that I'm a bit put off by the concept of "extremely unlikely" online player encounters. This surely is related to the enormous size of the game's "universe". While generating 18 quintillion planets is mighty impressive from a "technology" perspective, I don't know if it's the best from a "video game entertainment" perspective. I wonder if maybe they should have reined in the scope, and made a smaller universe with more opportunity to enable your actions and decisions to impact more players.

It's great that players will be able to discover new worlds, and give names to those worlds and any unique lifeforms they encounter on them. However, it seems almost pointless when there's very little chance of anyone ever seeing your discoveries, and even less of a chance of being able to interact directly with other players visiting your worlds.

I suppose if you find a really awesome planet, you could hit the SHARE button and make a short video clip to upload to YouTube.

I think it would be much more meaningful if there was a mechanism to invite a friend to your little corner of the universe, so that you could actually engage in some sort of adventure together. This could take the form of some sort of "hyperspace invite", where your friend temporarily leaves his own section of the universe and warps to yours. At the conclusion of the session, your friend could either warp back to one of his worlds, or remain on one of yours.

I hope this is something that Hello Games has considered, even if it's something they haven't chosen to reveal yet.

Game still sounds unreasonably boring and lonely. Its a shame cause it could have been the perfect coop chill game but it seems they're actively trying to make it not be.

I enjoyed that demonstration, bit more variety in the environments although still not as much as I'd like. They might have deliberately not shown planets without life or a harsh environment, but I hope to see those in the game too rather than having everything completely populated as soon as you land.

I believe Sean has addressed this a few times now-- the build they're showing off is tweaked to have much higher alien encounter rates, for the purpose of having a more enticing presentation as well as to avoid a potentially extensive, difficult, or "uninteresting" experience. As you can imagine, it's probably extremely easy to get a poor impression depending on the player's expectations.

If I'm remembering correctly, the release build will have rudimentary forms of life on 1/10th of planets, while more evolved/sophisticated life forms comprise a 10th of those.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or can add more detail.

Game still sounds unreasonably boring and lonely. Its a shame cause it could have been the perfect coop chill game but it seems they're actively trying to make it not be.
I think coop would spoil the sense of discovery in the game. The last thing I want is to lose out on naming my discoveries because of a trigger happy friend.

I caught the segment where they demoed the game last night. It's looking great, although it was fairly obvious that the demo sequence was "canned"and not impromptu live gameplay (which makes sense for the way they needed to present it).

I do have one concern about one aspect of the game, which Mr. Murray did reiterate on the show. I'll quote a post earlier in this thread from Icyflamez96:

I must admit that I'm a bit put off by the concept of "extremely unlikely" online player encounters. This surely is related to the enormous size of the game's "universe". While generating 18 quintillion planets is mighty impressive from a "technology" perspective, I don't know if it's the best from a "video game entertainment" perspective. I wonder if maybe they should have reined in the scope, and made a smaller universe with more opportunity to enable your actions and decisions to impact more players.

It's great that players will be able to discover new worlds, and give names to those worlds and any unique lifeforms they encounter on them. However, it seems almost pointless when there's very little chance of anyone ever seeing your discoveries, and even less of a chance of being able to interact directly with other players visiting your worlds.

I suppose if you find a really awesome planet, you could hit the SHARE button and make a short video clip to upload to YouTube.

I think it would be much more meaningful if there was a mechanism to invite a friend to your little corner of the universe, so that you could actually engage in some sort of adventure together. This could take the form of some sort of "hyperspace invite", where your friend temporarily leaves his own section of the universe and warps to yours. At the conclusion of the session, your friend could either warp back to one of his worlds, or remain on one of yours.

I hope this is something that Hello Games has considered, even if it's something they haven't chosen to reveal yet.

This was a concern I had to.

If the goal is to move forward, not laterally or backward, then you'll rarely revisit your OWN discoveries, much less anyone else's. Discovery is really just a commodity. You do it for space bucks. You can't build anything on a planet for yourself of for anyone else. (That I know of?)

And without communication, what do you do if you do find someone else? Just stare at each other? Emote? Shoot each other?

The only common goal of the game is to move forward to the center of the universe. And since the only obstacle to that is buying new spaceship parts, what's the point of multiplayer? Can you at least trade stuff with orlther players? If not, then why bother?

Coming across someone by chance isn't the only way to come across people. The game's mechanics naturally can aid you in finding another player. Like whenever a player makes a discovery, the star will twinkle on your galactic map, so you going there would already put you way closer to a player than you'd be if you hadn't. I always imagined handing around a space station in that area would be a decent way to try to run into someone. Uploading and sharing your discoveries can lead other people to an area as well. Also, the likelihood of players running into each other goes up the further you get to the center, just because there is less area. They're are probably other factors i'm missing or that we don't know about too. I'm sure you'd be able to coordinate with your friends to meet up, even thought it might take a long time. Sean Murray said before that you'd want your friends with you when going to the center, which could imply that there is a pretty surefire way of meeting up with people.

Agent X

Gold Member
You are not going to be able to play with your mates, period. That is not this game. We have known this forever. At this point these kind of comments, even thoughtfully crafted ones like yours, come off as concern trolling.

It's definitely not "concern trolling". I'm trying to give some input on how I believe the multiplayer and social aspects of the game (since there is one--as rare as it is) could have more impact.

I know there have been some secrets that the developers have been holding close to their chest. I just hope that this is one of them. It's unlikely they would have gone through the trouble of implementing the chance of a remote online encounter if there wasn't much significance to it other than a fleeting blip in the distance.

This was a concern I had to.

If the goal is to move forward, not laterally or backward, then you'll rarely revisit your OWN discoveries, much less anyone else's. Discovery is really just a commodity. You do it for space bucks. You can't build anything on a planet for yourself of for anyone else. (That I know of?)

And without communication, what do you do if you do find someone else? Just stare at each other? Emote? Shoot each other?

The only common goal of the game is to move forward to the center of the universe. And since the only obstacle to that is buying new spaceship parts, what's the point of multiplayer? Can you at least trade stuff with orlther players? If not, then why bother?

Here's something from 2014 about an in game communication

Can see friends location and stats on galaxy map. In game messaging system has been teased. If you fly past another player, you might never even know it's a real person. (Game Informer January 2015 Edition)

Agreed.

The initial experience of flying to and from a planet seamlessly will wear off pretty fast and then what?

No narrative? No npcs?

All you do is scan new discoveries and buy ship/suit/multi-tool upgrades the whole game?

MonsieurPaul

Neo Member
What should be interesting is the 90 minutes live preview tonight for the New Yorker festival. It's hosted by the New Yorker journalist Raffi Katchadourian who has written possibly the best article about NMS.

Frostav

Banned
Agreed.

The initial experience of flying to and from a planet seamlessly will wear off pretty fast and then what?

No narrative? No npcs?

All you do is scan new discoveries and buy ship/suit/multi-tool upgrades the whole game?

I see the corporate drones are already coming in full force.

Don't you have a rehashed COD to play?

Agreed.

No narrative? No npcs?

The game is about exploration. If you don't think that sounds appealing, this game is probably not for you.

Blue balls: The Game. I'm pretty much not caring till this game comes out at this point. Looks amazing, but it's always looked amazing. We know... the wait is just rubbed in our faces at this point.

I'm sure it absolutely is, only thing that makes sense now because, this is the 2nd time Sean alluded to knowing the release date but not being able to say.

Sony will bundle it with Morpheus, calling it now

You did hear him say they are a 10 person team right?

I think that's probably the biggest reason behind it, and if they are holding it back then look at it as them perfect it and polishing it.

Remember all of those, but what do you do? questions people had when the game was announced, and still asked a year later? I think a lot has been added to the game since then.

Top Bottom