• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help for the new build

GymWolf

The stuff you usually find in reviews sites like gamernexus , j2c , anandteck ; power draw , temperature , oc , chassis material and its headroom for airflow , the psu , cpu cooler , the number of memory sticks and its size and timing , you can't discount all that for just 5 main components , your place also matters, j2c talked about this topic recently.
Well, That's why i'm asking for advices here where people are way more expert than me, i'm trying to do everything perfectly.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Is one of these cooler good enough for a non-overclocked 13600k:

Or do i NEED a noctua nh-d15 that is 30-40 euros pricier? (Or some other model you can advise)
Scythe Fuma 2 Rev b is another good choice. From what I’ve seen it’s the best air cooler that doesn’t overhang the RAM slots. Performance is very similar to Noctua NH-U12A and NH-D15S while costing much less.

I’m using one with a 13700K and it keeps my CPU around 60-70 during gaming while remaining whisper quiet. Haven’t done any overclocking though.

PaintTinJr

Scythe Fuma 2 Rev b is another good choice. From what I’ve seen it’s the best air cooler that doesn’t overhang the RAM slots. Performance is very similar to Noctua NH-U12A and NH-D15S while costing much less.

I’m using one with a 13700K and it keeps my CPU around 60-70 during gaming while remaining whisper quiet. Haven’t done any overclocking though.
I'm guessing you are running the fans slow and very quiet, or in a smaller case with less case fans, as that seems a little hot IMO, but then again it could be excess thermal paste if using the preinstalled paste sticker.

I was able to get 10-15deg IIRC off of my PC temps by making sure there was literally no more paste than absolutely needed between the chip and heatsink - recursively mounting the heatsink on the chip, lifting off and wiping the heatsink clean until there was no excess left on the heatsink.
I only discovered the method when re-pasting my original PS4 which was very fussy compared to Intel chips, any excess on the heatsink and the PS4 chip was noisy or would shutdown completely.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm guessing you are running the fans slow and very quiet, or in a smaller case with less case fans, as that seems a little hot IMO, but then again it could be excess thermal paste if using the preinstalled paste sticker.

I was able to get 10-15deg IIRC off of my PC temps by making sure there was literally no more paste than absolutely needed between the chip and heatsink - recursively mounting the heatsink on the chip, lifting off and wiping the heatsink clean until there was no excess left on the heatsink.
I only discovered the method when re-pasting my original PS4 which was very fussy compared to Intel chips, any excess on the heatsink and the PS4 chip was noisy or would shutdown completely.
Nah 13000 series all run very hot, that’s just how they are. Those temps are typical for gaming workloads

PaintTinJr

Nah 13000 series all run very hot, that’s just how they are. Those temps are typical for gaming workloads

[/URL]
Yeah, that certainly does suggest they typically run hot.

I'm a little surprised the Blender workload gets the chip within a few degrees of the maximum allowed (T-junction value of 100degs https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...3700k-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-40-ghz.html) I wouldn't think those chips have enough margin for error if the ambient environment they were testing in was 10degs higher in a hot country.

GymWolf

I can't find it on amazon italy but on ebay is like 20 euros less compared to the nh-d15.

Let's see if i can find a better price.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I watched some reviews of the best cheap cooler for intel series 13th and it seems like the deepcool ak620 could be the best one, temps are around what you can have with bigger products but at least on amazon italy it is way cheaper, 55 euros vs minimum 85-110 for be quiet pro 4, deepcool assassin 3, noctua ad15 fuma 2 etc.

Now i have to decide what i'm gonna do with the ram\MB, if the differences are negligeable why wasting money on ddr5 ram?

On the other hamd, people insist that ddr5 is gonna show is value in a couple of years...

I watched some ddr4 vs ddr5 test and in 4k the difference are very small (when ddr5 win, not always), is this a thing that is gonna remain the same in 5 years from now no matter how much more they use ddr5? like is it a thing that at higher resolutions ram doesn't count that much?

Top Bottom