• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help! I don't know how to find Spyro: Reignited Trilogy 2019 edition.

KiteGr

For those who would say "just get/login on a store and get it you lazy oaf!" let me make things clear:

The Spyro remakes launched with a controversy. Namely, only the first of the 3 games was playable by loading the disk. The other 2 had to be downloaded in a patch.
Everyone knows this!
It sucked! Especially for me who value a physical collection and game preservation.

And then Aktivision tried to fix that problem... In the most horrible way.

That's why I have a hard time getting this game. The only way to tell if it's the bad or the good edition is by buying the disk and checking a tiny detail on the fine print.

I can't find it used anywhere. I can't check the new games without opening them. I can't find any on Ebay.

Does anyone know any relyable way to get one?
Have anyone found any relyable method to tell them appart?

Last edited:
There's a UK re-release that has Spyro and CTR together in one package and I think that release has all the Spyro games on disc.

Edit: I just looked and I can't find it anywhere on amazon uk, did they stop making this?

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
There's a UK re-release that has Spyro and CTR together in one package and I think that release has all the Spyro games on disc.

Edit: I just looked and I can't find it anywhere on amazon uk, did they stop making this?
Yes, there's this bundle with the full Spyro game on disc, but unsure which countries it's available in:

Yes, there's this bundle with the full Spyro game on disc, but unsure which countries it's available in:
That's the one, I was gonna wait for a third party seller to sell it on amazon.ca or for the price to go down since I'd be paying out the ass for shipping/customs, but neither has happened yet...

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It sucked! Especially for me who value a physical collection and game preservation.

Just a personal question (and you don't have to answer this at all btw) but do you think you will engage with the next gen consoles? How do you personally deal with digital only games? I have a large physical collection as well but, for me, I have accepted that I will not be able to buy physical games (and for the past 2 years have only bought physical collectors editions) for all of the games I want to buy.

What are you plans for games that will not be releasing physical media?

Last edited:
Just a personal question (and you don't have to answer this at all btw) but do you think you will engage with the next gen consoles? How do you personally deal with digital only games? I have a large physical collection as well but, for me, I have accepted that I will not be able to buy physical games (and for the past 2 years have only bought physical collectors editions) for all of the games I want to buy.

With the rise of limited release stores there's way less quality indie games that don't release on physical media now. From Golf Story, Bastion, Transistor, Gungeon, Grim Fandango, Celeste, Blazing Chrome, Furi, Ys Origin, River City Girls, Psychonauts, Nex Machina, Metal Wolf XD, Risk of Rain, Hotline Miami Collection, My Friend Pedro, Snake Pass, Thumper, Windjammers, and like a dozen Star Wars games, I can't even keep up with all the indie physical releases they have now.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
With the rise of limited release stores there's way less quality indie games that don't release on physical media now.
Some of those games have had non-limited releases in physical format as well. I have a cart for windjammers from back in the MVS days and I think I still have my original Grim Fandango PC release.

I guess the assumption from most folks is that AAA games are going to continue to be released physically as well? PC made the transition a few years ago to digital distribution. You can still find physical game boxes for PC but it has been a while since I was able to buy a physical PC game that also came with discs.

I can see the appeal of consoles being the easiest way to experience a game, you buy the console, then the game, insert and have fun.
I wonder how long the big players will print physical products for their consoles. The physical games must still make enough to offset the cost of all that is required with physical release.

In a previous life I watched the retail shift of game publishers PAYING retail vendors for retail space (better planogram feature/spots in the stores) to publishers requiring retail folks to buy a certain number of releases before they would even consider shipping titles to them to sell. The spyro game mentioned above is going for $180 used on amazon right now but from what I can find...I didn't check ebay and thought it would be an easy pick up.

KiteGr

My preferable way would be somewhere inside the EU so I wouldn't pay 20 additional Euros in import taxes. As for the bundle with the CTR, I already have Ctr and I would prefer if it had an independent box. I still keep it in mind as a last resort.

I was thinking of rerhaps some retailer who went through the trouble of labelling them, or some used game site where they bother to mention these things, or even some user-run online store with used games other than Ebay where I can check the disk art.

I tend to react when companies force decisions on me. I go through the trouble of denying advertising cookies in every site I visit and I skip Dlc heavy games until they release a complete edition.

Now if in the next gen they they force digital releases so much that I'm left with no other option, then I'll consider getting my games digital. But if I'm going to get my games only digitally from now on, I might as well abandon the consoles, jump to PC and start pirating.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
But if I'm going to get my games only digitally from now on, I might as well abandon the consoles, jump to PC and start pirating.

Do you watch TV shows or movies, or listen to music? I realize those are not analogous to playing digital games (they are considered streaming content) and was just curious if video games were the medium that you prefer to be physical for collection/use purposes.

KiteGr

Do you watch TV shows or movies, or listen to music? I realize those are not analogous to playing digital games (they are considered streaming content) and was just curious if video games were the medium that you prefer to be physical for collection/use purposes.
I do watch movies and some series, mostly on cinema and Netflix. Those that i like and I don't consider just timewasters, I buy the dvd or blue ray.

I do also pirate though. In my early years before having a steady income I used to pirate a lot, until the ps2 came along and showed me the joy of having a physical collection. Since then I avoided moding my consoles, but I was very tempted when I discovered how many games and anime I couldn't legally play because of region coding.
Now my principle is to only pirate the bullshit. By that, i mean the region locked, the retro (though I do buy good remasters of those) and the horribly priced. And I also consider bullshit the idea of buying a license...

Despite that, i do buy many stuff on steam, mostly thanks to the good prices, organized store and my will to support smaller releases.

So, if you take the retail and collection factor out of it, I will have little reason to stay on consoles and their expensive, badly functioning stores. And since I'll be left in the end with nothing but data, in terms of value, buying will have no other benefit beyond the moral one, that I would already be hating them because (as I said above) it's a choice forced on me.

But, we've got a little off-topic. We are still in the current gen, and I'm willing to buy a "real" retail edition of the Spyro Trilogy.

Last edited:
I know you prefaced your post saying this and i hate to be that guy but go digital and stop stressing yourself out. The collection thing is something i did for years and i just gave up on the romanticizing of owning the physical copy which i guess is nice if you just must run your fingers along a row of cases and say “ouu i choose you” or you still collect music on vinyl because the sound quality is “just different” but honestly its just over man let it go brother its 2020 the damn worlds gonna end for all of us non elites once elon finds a way for the %1 to migrate to mars 😅

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
For those who would say "just get/login on a store and get it you lazy oaf!" let me make things clear:

The Spyro remakes launched with a controversy. Namely, only the first of the 3 games was playable by loading the disk. The other 2 had to be downloaded in a patch.
Everyone knows this!

And then Aktivision tried to fix that problem... In the most horrible way.

That's why I have a hard time getting this game. The only way to tell if it's the bad or the good edition is by buying the disk and checking a tiny detail on the fine print.

I can't find it used anywhere. I can't check the new games without opening them. I can't find any on Ebay.

Does anyone know any relyable way to get one?
Have anyone found any relyable method to tell them appart?

Slightly OT, but why do you think that any government project regarding preservation digitalizes the data they want to preserve?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Now if in the next gen they they force digital releases so much that I'm left with no other option, then I'll consider getting my games digital. But if I'm going to get my games only digitally from now on, I might as well abandon the consoles, jump to PC and start pirating.

Okay, okay hold on. Why do you want to be a stereotypically thief? Why do you think you deserve to steal a game someone's spent hours and sweat making?

You sound like a special snowflake that when he can't get it his way with physicals then you just steal the game.

Why don't just steal the game at Walmart, there you can get it for free. Oh yeah, that's right, because its almost impossible to get caught downloading in safety behind your computer.

Pathetic. Sorry but I disgust pirates.

And since I'll be left in the end with nothing but data, in terms of value, buying will have no other benefit beyond the moral one, that I would already be hating them because (as I said above) it's a choice forced on me.

No one's forcing you to anything. You aren't force to pirate. You choose to break the law because you are a snowflake and can't get it your way.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Does anyone know by now whether such a version also exists for Xbox One?

Yoshi

I do know the answer to my question now: A reprint for Xbox One exists, I have it now. To verify it, I have installed my disc with the Xbox One offline and it is version 1.2.0, which is the most recent version of the game. Turning on the internet afterwards did not prompt an update either.

Now how to identify the new version? There are the following differentiators:
- on the backside, it says (C) 2019
- also on the backside, it does NOT say you need to download content for Spyro 2 & 3
- on the disc, it says (C) 2019
- most importantly: On the frontside there is this gem with the text "3 games". On the old version it says "3 games*", on the new one "3 games" without an asterisk. You can see this on eBay photos!

KiteGr

I do know the answer to my question now: A reprint for Xbox One exists, I have it now. To verify it, I have installed my disc with the Xbox One offline and it is version 1.2.0, which is the most recent version of the game. Turning on the internet afterwards did not prompt an update either.

Now how to identify the new version? There are the following differentiators:
- on the backside, it says (C) 2019
- also on the backside, it does NOT say you need to download content for Spyro 2 & 3
- on the disc, it says (C) 2019
- most importantly: On the frontside there is this gem with the text "3 games". On the old version it says "3 games*", on the new one "3 games" without an asterisk. You can see this on eBay photos!
So you found a version that isn't bundled with CTR?
The videos above lead me to believe that there is no visible difference on the box.
How you found it?

sublimit

Banned
The videos above lead me to believe that there is no visible difference on the box.
How you found it?
I had made a thread about this some months (or maybe it was a year) ago. The difference unfortunatelly is only visible on the disc.
So you either go to a used games shop and ask to see the disc or ask the manager of the shop if the copies they have are from a 2019/2020 shipment.
What you don't want is a copy from a 2018 shipment.

It's incredible how much Activision fucked this up.

Last edited:

Yoshi

I had made a thread about this some months (or maybe it was a year) ago. The difference unfortunatelly is only visible on the disc.
So you either go to a used games shop and ask to see the disc or ask the manager of the shop if the copies they have are from a 2019/2020 shipment.
What you don't want is a copy from a 2018 shipment.

It's incredible how much Activision fucked this up.
Please read my above post, it is not true that the difference is only discernible via the disc, in fact you can detect it just by looking at the front of the box. At least in PAL region, at least on Xbox. The best indicator is the whether there is a star after "3 games". I will show you examples from eBay:

Do not get this:

Get this instead:

Take a good look at the red gem. No asterisk: All on disc. Asterisk: Not on disc. Why Activision is so subtle about this, I have no idea. But they did make it so you can identify from the outside which version is good.

How you found it?
I compared boxes at a shop to get a 2019 version and then thoroughly compared a 2018 and a 2019 box.

sublimit

Banned
Please read my above post, it is not true that the difference is only discernible via the disc, in fact you can detect it just by looking at the front of the box. At least in PAL region, at least on Xbox. The best indicator is the whether there is a star after "3 games". I will show you examples from eBay:

Do not get this:

Get this instead:

Take a good look at the red gem. No asterisk: All on disc. Asterisk: Not on disc. Why Activision is so subtle about this, I have no idea. But they did make it so you can identify from the outside which version is good.

I compared boxes at a shop to get a 2019 version and then thoroughly compared a 2018 and a 2019 box.

Thanks i will check tomorrow at my local shop to see which version they have.

KiteGr

Do not get this:

Get this instead:

That looks like the german version, and it appears that it does have a difference in the box. Now take a look to this apparently 2019 edition I found on some auction on Ebay.

BsEEeSs.jpg

SXKL2MK.jpg

Both of the pictures come supposedly from the same auction.
The disk says 2019 but the box shows no sign of a new edition.

Yoshi

That looks like the german version, and it appears that it does have a difference in the box. Now take a look to this apparently 2019 edition I found on some auction on Ebay.

BsEEeSs.jpg

SXKL2MK.jpg

Both of the pictures come supposedly from the same auction.
The disk says 2019 but the box shows no sign of a new edition.
It is only a sufficient condition, not a necessary one. The removal of the asterisk coincides with the removal of the text clarifying you need to download stuff for games 2 & 3, which they probably put there in the first place for legal reasons, so whenever the asterisk is not there, the full game is on disc. When it is there, the full game may be on disc but it also may not. But yeah, I only compared German Xbox versions, I do not know precisely if they did the same change on PS4.

sublimit

Banned
Man this is such a hassle. Why on earth Activision couldn't clearly state on the cover of the reprinted version that it includes all 3 games??

I checked at my local game shop today but unfortunately they didn't have any copies left for the time being.

Yoshi

Man this is such a hassle. Why on earth Activision couldn't clearly state on the cover of the reprinted version that it includes all 3 games??

I checked at my local game shop today but unfortunately they didn't have any copies left for the time being.
It's a mystery for me as well, there are a few people who care about this, and they can easily make extra money by just communicting it clearly. In fact, I asked the Activision consumer service a few weeks ago, whether a complete disc on Xbox One exists and how to detect it and they had no clue...

sublimit

Banned
It's a mystery for me as well, there are a few people who care about this, and they can easily make extra money by just communicting it clearly. In fact, I asked the Activision consumer service a few weeks ago, whether a complete disc on Xbox One exists and how to detect it and they had no clue...
Exactly.Especially since they went through all the trouble to reprint the game with all games on disc when they could have easily not bothered at all. I don't get it either.

Top Bottom