• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help I feel violated by Microsoft

QuumhGy.gif

this arouses me

Exentryk

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Western culture (I'm an expert), but money and ruthlessness are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being honourable. If you try to be honourable to someone over in America, you will get laughed at, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by winning in sales.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any Xbox console, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel 3rd party Xbox consoles or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Nydius

It’s also not like they are abandoning the Xbox. They are just putting stuff on more systems.
Which is functionally the equivalent of “giving up on Xbox”. If you can play everything everywhere, what’s the benefit of buying specific Xbox hardware?

The only reason would be Game Pass and if you have a massive digital library on Xbox. Game Pass is going to end up undergoing a metamorphosis as well as it certainly can’t continue on in its current state.

Trogdor1123

Which is functionally the equivalent of “giving up on Xbox”. If you can play everything everywhere, what’s the benefit of buying specific Xbox hardware?

The only reason would be Game Pass and if you have a massive digital library on Xbox. Game Pass is going to end up undergoing a metamorphosis as well as it certainly can’t continue on in its current state.
It’s a fair point. I really dont have an answer to it. Not sure there even is one.

We will see.

BlackTron

PS5 released Nov 12, 2020. In that span. God of War: Ragnarok is the only exclusive worth playing and it's also on PS4. Still, that was enough to kill Xbox. Absolute masterclass failure by Microsoft.

This is true, Covid shakeup and temporary weakness of Sony (not bad, just a few stress points) set the stage for a competitive, interesting gen. MS just completely failed to take advantage of the situation handed to them.

I disagree but it's all speculation. We'll see. Xbox shouldn't be awarded it's existence purely because there's some unwritten rule that there must be three major players in the console market. You're old enough. We were just fine with sega/Nintendo back in the day. We'll be fine again.
You're assuming Nintendo is any kind of direct competition to PlayStation now. They are very different businesses. SEGA and Nintendo were much more similar in the past compared to Sony and Nintendo now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I loved Sega consoles, including their handheld Nomad system, but the industry did not die when they moved on to third party. People need to stop fearmongering.
Xbox was on the horizon at that point. There is no major competitor on the horizon right now.

RickMasters

Ah... a fellow SEGA fan going through 2001 again. I share your feels.
SHit....me too. crazy to think we backed the wrong horse twice! can about it, among ourselves. jumping on halo with the lads later, to chop it up. Im just wondering what they are gonna do to help us preserve our game libraries in a post xbox world. Ive spent thousands on my digital library since the x360 days. Thats probably the only part of all this that concerns me. MS can go to hell after this.

Stick to PC Gaming OP - playing at 140fps with rgb going nuts will always outrank consoles. You need never feel the pain of exclusives being denied to you again (well - a long as you can wait a few years).

If it makes you feel any better a lot of us felt this way when they announced the used game policy. A lot of people moved on from MS after that including me. I lost all trust in Xbox after that move and I wanted nothing to do with them.

BlackTron

You're assuming Nintendo is any kind of direct competition to PlayStation now. They are very different businesses. SEGA and Nintendo were much more similar in the past compared to Sony and Nintendo now.
Very true but PC is also a more similar and accessible option to consoles than it was back then as well. And if you consider the performance bump we will have in Switch 2, everything will get even more samey.

DJ12

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Western culture (I'm an expert), but money and ruthlessness are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being honourable. If you try to be honourable to someone over in America, you will get laughed at, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by winning in sales.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any Xbox console, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel 3rd party Xbox consoles or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Lol bet you sub to gamepass, and haven't brought an actual MS game this gen

You sir are the problem and they'll be happy to get rid of you and people like you.

RickMasters

The problem is there is less incentive for people to buy an Xbox. That's not good for an already struggling console.

I said it yesterday and Ill say it again...people better get used two nintendo and sony only future. and they wont be competing with eachother so.....sony can set their next gen terms unchallenged (price, specs). Totally bracing for that 6-700 PS6! I got no choice anyway. none of us will. unless you want an unpowered switch 2 that will only play a fraction of what 3rd parties put on PS.

PS will be the high performance, default console you buy. and its not like there is an alternative, so we just gotta go with the flow. and nintendo fans will buy whatever nintendo puts out. the end.

Top Bottom