• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help I feel violated by Microsoft

FunkMiller

Gold Member
LEAKS.

AND MS IS VIOLATING ME.

ALL THAT I SEE.

ABSOLUTE HORROR.

james hetfield love GIF

Lillie

I would have purchased more of my console games on the PS4-5 to keep a more complete profile with trophies/game-saves/game-time vs segregating it between the two on Xbox if I knew MS was going to tank the system (plus I could have saved a lot more money on xbl every year if I did not have to pay for that and instead only PSN)

Kumomeme

So many people bought into their promise of a grand future of exclusives especially after the Bethesda buy out etc.

to be fair, what actually happened is so many people purposely ignored what obviously could happen with their promise and end up evangelize everything they said even if could be a false promise or bad practice. especially it is goes against their competitor for sake to win a short internet moment. ofcourse, not everyone.

you reap what you sow.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I wonder if satya got pissed off an thinks its dumb xbox isn't making profit hand over fist, so microsoft it's self is taking over.

Or Satya just invested $70 billion dollars into Microsoft Gaming and doesn't want return on that investment to be bottlenecked by a struggling console. I don't think he wants to kill the device, but I think he doesn't want to be held back by it either. Just speculation, obviously, and no idea how any of it, if remotely accurate, translates into real world events next week.

Fredrik

Realistically, how many dreamcast games have you played last year?
Let's not pretend the problem exists; most of those crying just want the others not to be able to play the xbox exclusives.
None. Because the console is in the attic. 🤷‍♂️
And I don’t agree at all. I think people want exclusives because without exclusives they realize there is no reason to own the console and the platform will likely die and then comes the lost investments in the attic scenario.
No reason to go back and forth more on this.

BlackTron

I wonder if satya got pissed off an thinks its dumb xbox isn't making profit hand over fist, so microsoft it's self is taking over.
My take is that Phil wanted ABK to support Xbox and Gamepass, which would have taken more time and investment to hit critical mass of game output, but Satya got impatient and said we want money now. Phil took too long dicking around with conflicting, failing strategies to be given the chance to do it, and let's face it, probably would have kept failing anyway.

laynelane

Or Satya just invested $70 billion dollars into Microsoft Gaming and doesn't want return on that investment to be bottlenecked by a struggling console. I don't think he wants to kill the device, but I think he doesn't want to be held back by it either. Just speculation, obviously, and no idea how any of it, if remotely accurate, translates into real world events next week.

I'm wondering what will happen with ABK titles and Game Pass, as well. The initial timeline was simply "2024", but we've not heard anything more concrete at all. Perhaps next week will shed more light on this too.

Ar¢tos

The absolute opposite is true. A unique USP for a product drives competition. Competition always results in better prices and products for the consumer.
MS can still compete without hardware.
They'll compete with other 3rd parties and Sony 1st party.
I'm sure Sony is not happy with the prospect of having Forza competing with GT or Halo/Gears competing with Bungie's games directly on their console.

Mephisto40

I'm sure Sony is not happy with the prospect of having Forza competing with GT or Halo/Gears competing with Bungie's games directly on their console.
I think it's cute this idea people have that Microsoft are just going to be able to somehow demand their games are put on PlayStation, Sony aren't just going to let them post anything they like on their platform

Ar¢tos

I think it's cute this idea people have that Microsoft are just going to be able to somehow demand their games are put on PlayStation, Sony aren't just going to let them post anything they like on their platform
When has Sony ever blocked a game from releasing on Playstation for fear of competition?
AFAIK they only block based on content (ex: AO games).

Forth

I sold my Series X before Christmas and purchased a PS5 and it's been the best gaming decision I've ever made.
The reason why is not because of dwindling hardware sales but because MS are totally incapable of managing their studios, Forza, Halo, Gears of War have all missed the mark. Starfield was absolutely awful and don't get me started on Redfall.
All these games were from studios id consider to be day one purchases in the past.
So the idea of first party games coming to PS5 does nothing for me because Xbox and everything that comes with itas a gaming brand is dead for me.

Toots

Gold Member
I feel bad for Xbox only gamer. Has to suck for him.
corrected that for you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

More seriously you should never give value to things in respect to their availability for others.
I had a friend in highschool who would stop listening to bands he liked when he felt they got too mainstream... He understood how dumbly elitist his stance was a few years into adulthood.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Oh, they can certainly compete as a third party publisher. In fact, they'd probably dominate.

But if we're talking about hardware, they'll kill it by doing this.

Ar¢tos

Oh, they can certainly compete as a third party publisher. In fact, they'd probably dominate.

But if we're talking about hardware, they'll kill it by doing this.
Realistically, do they even have a chance of reviving it?
It's on life support at the moment, hardware sales are lower and lower each month.

They tried "free" games and heavy discounts and nothing.
Releasing a new console in a short time won't do much because they already have the most powerful one and it did nothing.

The only thing that could save Xbox hardware would be 4 or 5 90+ MC first party/excluded from Playstation games this year , preferably not included in GP, and we know games take a really long time to make, so this isn't happening, and papa MS seem to be breathing on Xbox neck demanding instant results after buying their little girl 2 ponies worth 80bn.

It will take a miracle (a Switch like miracle) to save Xbox hardware from irrelevance (but it doesn't mean they will stop making it or even a new gen).

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Third party MS will be a giant with their money though. I hope they fire back up their sports games and buy the NFL license away from EA.
Why would you want MS of all people to buy anything else? They are an utterly incompetent organization as a whole in the Xbox division that can’t manage to produce /publish great games.

What would make them capable all of a sudden to produce a competent sports game, Football/The other Football/Basketball or whatever?

Mind you, I would love to see non exclusive license being granted by various sports leagues to multiple businesses and they can certainly include MS, but to wish MS to acquire more exclusivity rights of any sorts is a tad strange.

StereoVsn

I wonder if satya got pissed off a thinks its dumb xbox isn't making profit hand over fist, so microsoft it's self is taking over.
Most likely CFO office took a realistic look at the fiscal shenanigans of past 10 years or so and put their foot down after discussion with Satya.

I mean competent financial analysis could easily show absolute foolhardiness and incompetence of Xbox management. And the recent $80 bil spend between Bethesda and Activision would be the trigger.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Just makes sense though, right. I don't think it is bad to speculate this. MS needs to see an ROI and Xbox console is not going to cut it. That is as clear as day.

None. Because the console is in the attic. 🤷‍♂️
And I don’t agree at all. I think people want exclusives because without exclusives they realize there is no reason to own the console and the platform will likely die and then comes the lost investments in the attic scenario.
No reason to go back and forth more on this.
If you actually wanted to play these games, you would have them connected. But you don't want to, that's why your argument about "preservation" is in bad faith.

Raven117

I sold my Series X before Christmas and purchased a PS5 and it's been the best gaming decision I've ever made.
The reason why is not because of dwindling hardware sales but because MS are totally incapable of managing their studios, Forza, Halo, Gears of War have all missed the mark. Starfield was absolutely awful and don't get me started on Redfall.
All these games were from studios id consider to be day one purchases in the past.
So the idea of first party games coming to PS5 does nothing for me because Xbox and everything that comes with itas a gaming brand is dead for me.
This really is part of the issue…. All the big studio acquisitions they made…. Each one… EACH ONE… failed to make a “system seller.” They made some “okay” games (at best) but not enough for the market to justify buying an Xbox. (That coupled with them completely screwing up the Xbox 1 announcement which had them behind in arguably the most important generation since the jump to 3d… the jump to digital)

Fredrik

If you actually wanted to play these games, you would have them connected. But you don't want to, that's why your argument about "preservation" is in bad faith.
No bad faith here, you should see my retro collection, it’s just not realistic to think everyone can keep everything old connected. Even for me as a retro nerd, once I unplug something it essentially goes extinct unless there is a BC or emulation solution. The outlier is the Commodore stuff, still have Amiga and C64 connected on my PC desk even though emulation is easy.

And in the case of Xbox I really don’t understand why this is somehow minimized as a nothing burger and just about console war. People literally have physical and digital games and gamerscore and accounts and friends list etc still in use on XSX over 20 years later, and that might very well end within a couple years now. For reference, Xbox hardware has been around longer than Sega hardware was when they pulled the plug on Dreamcast, and for fun you could try asking any Sega fan how awesome things are now compared to how it used to be.

Crayon

No bad faith here, you should see my retro collection, it’s just not realistic to think everyone can keep everything old connected. Even for me as a retro nerd, once I unplug something it essentially goes extinct unless there is a BC or emulation solution. The outlier is the Commodore stuff, still have Amiga and C64 connected on my PC desk even though emulation is easy.

And in the case of Xbox I really don’t understand why this is somehow minimized as a nothing burger and just about console war. People literally have physical and digital games and gamerscore and accounts and friends list etc still in use on XSX over 20 years later, and that might very well end within a couple years now. For reference, Xbox hardware has been around longer than Sega hardware was when they pulled the plug on Dreamcast, and for fun you could try asking any Sega fan how awesome things are now compared to how it used to be.

I think that is the only good reason for them to do another gen. There are enough people out there who have a lot of time and money invested, and knowing you'll still have a console option that works with that for the next 10 years is an ample run off before it's all over. It would be crazy to do as a play to beat Nintendo and Sony, but a smart thing to do right by the customers.

Then consider yourself and outlier. These console warriors on twitter raging about the recent rumors are not "retro collectors".

Fredrik

Then consider yourself and outlier. These console warriors on twitter raging about the recent rumors are not "retro collectors".
Again, it’s about a concern that it will kill or at the least negatively impact the platform longterm.

Do you think the same way about PS fans being concerned about PS exclusives coming to PC and why they don’t want day 1 PC versions? Just standard console warriors who don’t want others to be able to play the same games?

Papa_Wisdom

Sure. Same would happen if they bought the next gen console. No-one keeps all consoles connected on TV forever. They can still reconnect their series whenever they want to play the old games.
If series x is their last console I’ll buy another one for £100 when there getting rid of them and keep it boxed up u til the one I have eventually dies. I’ll keep it plugged into my tv for my Xbox library and then switch to pc.

If Series X is going to be their last console then worth buying a few and keeping them sealed in their packaging for the next 20 years.

That’ll make a nice ROI.

Top Bottom