• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help I feel violated by Microsoft

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just disconnect your console from the internet and the kill code cant reach it.

soulbait

I'm furious with MS.

I feel like I've been screwed.

This isn't console warring. I'm just upset because I REALLY do think MS make great consoles.

But this move has been really unfair to their player base. So many people bought into their promise of a grand future of exclusives especially after the Bethesda buy out etc.

This is total BS.

I'm NOT having a meltdown.

OK.

I'm having a meltdown.

F YOU MS AND YOUR DOUCHE MOVES!
Panicking before anything official announced. For shame.

Ribi

i mean as a consumer... nothing really changes?? You still get the same games on your console of choice, same ecosystem, same everything, its just a fanboy war now.

only thing you have is buyers remorse... and mid ass starfield

Reactions: Isa
PC is the platform, XBOX is the service, controllers are the hardware.

Microsoft consoles were just a 20 year trojan horse, the game begins now.
the MS from back then isnt the same one from before so this wouldn't make sense. MS is even losing marketshare with windows with things like steam deck,etc

Havoc2049

I'm furious with MS.

I feel like I've been screwed.

This isn't console warring. I'm just upset because I REALLY do think MS make great consoles.

But this move has been really unfair to their player base. So many people bought into their promise of a grand future of exclusives especially after the Bethesda buy out etc.

This is total BS.

I'm NOT having a meltdown.

OK.

I'm having a meltdown.

F YOU MS AND YOUR DOUCHE MOVES!
A bunch of MS games have always been on PC. Going in, even on the OG Xbox you should have known that at the very least, a bunch, if not all XB games, would be on PC. The XB platform was always a low cost extension of the PC platform.

None of this is that big of a deal to me. More people to play Halo, Sea of Thieves, etc.

nemiroff

Gold Member
They been the ones violating gamers for years.
Still gonna push digital on us for a lack of ownership, cause we are sheep.
For what it's worth a possible hardware exit from MS now would only accelerate digital, not slow it down.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
the MS from back then isnt the same one from before so this wouldn't make sense. MS is even losing marketshare with windows with things like steam deck,etc

There are more windows pcs with internet connections than steam decks and that will never change, also you can stream gamepass to steam deck / mac os / linux, etc.

I was being facetious about the consoles being intentionally a trojan horse, this is just the new reality.

Last edited:
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF
It's a prediction. I'm excited to revisit it. We already saw evidence of Spider-man 3 being split up as a soft price increase. Why make it a soft increase when the competition is gone?

KXVXII9X

Man, to each their own, but at this point in my life I really don't understand how or why people get in distress about more video games reaching more people. I understand exclusives are cool and all, but I think multiplatform and cross platform stuff is much cooler as it allows people to have options and preferences.
I think sometimes it is less about console warring or wanting to lock games to certain systems and more about how exclusive titles used to push the limits and create games you didn't get with third parties. Slimysnake kind of mentioned this. I think it is compounded by a lot of exclusive games we do get aren't really doing anything new or pushing new grounds. There is a fear that incentive to push those boundaries are decreasing. It also doesn't help when Sony or Microsoft use their exclusives and acquisitions in their marketing to drive sales. I never bought into it, but I see a lot of people did.

I've been more impressed by some third-party games this generation though. I think there is a kind of magic to having a system offering unique experiences you can't find anywhere else like with the Switch. I miss when each console was somewhat unique and wasn't essentially another PC.

At this point I just care if the game is great or not. I'm fortunate to not be tied to only one platform.

Presumably you are a grown arse adult, so just deal with it and move on. Why does it matter so much to you where these games end up on?

Also, your Xbox Series consoles don't suddenly stop working because of this move.

Fanboyism behavior is so odd to me.

Reactions: Isa

Topher

Gold Member
It's a prediction. I'm excited to revisit it. We already saw evidence of Spider-man 3 being split up as a soft price increase. Why make it a soft increase when the competition is gone?
The competition is with consoles. So perhaps PS5 could increase in price without competition from Xbox, but game prices are not going to be affected. Publishers set prices based on what the market will bear, not how many consoles are in the market.

The irony is thick as hell. I certainly didn't see all this coming, but seems clear to me that the ABK acquisition was the catalyst to advance all this forward.
It absolutely was. Jim Ryan pushing back so hard against the ABK deal also heavily helped to set this all into motion. Sony should be begging him to come back.

I don't get why anyone would cry or cheer over this development. Gaming is going to go where it's going to go. Some of us don't like this or that direction, but someone obviously does.

These times in gaming are unlike any other we've ever seen. So many new directions and as they say, "when one door closes, two more open up" and while I admit I am interested in where it's going, I'm not exactly optimistic in any of the directions leading forward.

Personally speaking I've always been a Nintendo and Sony guy from the start. Was never much interested in Sega until Dreamcast came along, but then they pooped out. In MS's arena, I started out with the 360, got a retro og Xbox, later on got a One X, and now have both Series X and S. I've always liked the build quality of Xbox systems, and when Game Pass came out, and along with their once-rich Rewards systems in place, it really felt like they were building a very strong ecosystem for console gamers. Not having true exclusives, not having their own in-house developers, giving away games on GP in order to try and generate interest just backfired in their faces when it comes to console sales. They just went about it the wrong way, much like what Nintendo did with their low-powered hardware console systems. Also like Nintendo, MS will have to find their own niche outside of traditional console hardware imo, and can easily do that with software and subscription services.

What concerns me is the future of traditional console systems. Will it be needed? Will we see a new challenger step in to the ring? Will there even be an arena for console gaming? Weird times man...

This is the ultimate truth, if MS was putting games out with the quality they had from 2005-2011 then Xbox would still be doing well for itself. The complete mediocrity of their library since then is what is leading to now, who the fuck cares about the Xbox library save for Forza Horizon at this point.
Almost every acquisition was mistimed or was butchered by MS management. Rare went to shit after Kinect, Obsidian lost most of their prime talent to begin with (which is why Avowed looks so bleh), Bethesda's main team hasn't had a good game since Fallout 4 (which was already divisive), and they are basically giving up shortly after acquiring Activision and bleeding most of its talent out with layoffs already.

Microsoft can genuinely go fuck themselves at this point, my guess is that they last till the end of the gen with Xbox and then once PS6 is the main focus they formally announce going full third-party. My only hope is someone steps up to compete with Sony, and I don't think it's going to be Nintendo. I could see Apple or maybe even Valve (like a Steam Deck but as a full console) step in, but who else?
I literally have only spent $20 to own MCC and Fable 2. Then I also have Gears 4 since I bought it on PC forever ago.
I have 3 titles on my $150 series s and not really interested in any of their current content. Hellblade 2 was the one game I thought I may buy and even that one I'm not completely sold on it.
I don't even like Bethesda's "good" games, let alone what Starfield ended up being.

I've never had as much disposable income as I do now and could easily buy all kinds of stuff form them. Hell I'm buying Helldivers 2 just cause FF7 Rebirth isn't out yet.
Xbox has just sucked at life since 2016 imo.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You're still going to have guys like that sanjitsu sage or whatever that stupid name he has, who wants to ardently defend the brand and will practically split their buttocks open and take a giant cucumber in the keister for the cause. And it's better for the cucumber because the cucumber doesn't have the kernels and those could probably hurt the rectum like an Oklahoma corn on the cob.

On the other hand as well the topic creator has one of them late 1990s videogames.com usernames. We're talking about ICQ up in this mother

Last edited:
The competition is with consoles. So perhaps PS5 could increase in price without competition from Xbox, but game prices are not going to be affected. Publishers set prices based on what the market will bear, not how many consoles are in the market.
If the only place to get these games is on one console, why wouldn't you push the price up? It's easy to test the waters and reverse if the pushback is enough to hurt sales.

Interfectum

PC is the platform, XBOX is the service, controllers are the hardware.

Microsoft consoles were just a 20 year trojan horse, the game begins now.
They can't beat Sony and Nintendo after 20 years and billions of dollars. You think they have a fucking prayer of even touching Steam?

Donald Trump Lol GIF by Election 2020

F3112006

Neo Member
As a person who has invested in my digital library on Xbox this gen, people who are saying it doesn’t make much difference it does, why would I main Xbox when I can get all their games PLUS PlayStation exclusives on a different console? I regret buying so many games.

Topher

Gold Member
If the only place to get these games is on one console, why wouldn't you push the price up? It's easy to test the waters and reverse if the pushback is enough to hurt sales.

It doesn't matter. PS5 is the only place you can get Spider-man 2 and yet it is the same $70 base price as other games. And even if systems were a factor, PC is still an option.

I REALLY do think MS make great consoles
Based on what?

The shocking thing about this news is just how little the PS5 lineup is getting bolstered by the likes of Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush, etc. They have all those studios, IPs, etc. And I feel like the PS5 lineup is marginally improved at best getting everything Microsoft has to offer.

Compare that to if Xbox was suddenly getting all PlayStation exclusives. That would be a tenfold improvement to the software on the console immediately.

It doesn't matter. PS5 is the only place you can get Spider-man 2 and yet it is the same $70 base price as other games. And even if systems were a factor, PC is still an option.
$70 is the expectation. They can set a new expectation with a new console and no competition to keep them honest. Also, PC is not an option for many people to play high-end games. It's very expensive to break into now.

Montauk

In all seriousness, Xbox either bringing exclusives to PlayStation or exiting the hardware business will genuinely be bad for competition and the medium.

Sony is already too dominant, leading to some complacency and arrogance on their part. For their own good, and gamers own good, we need Sony to have a strong competitor.

This is all so frustrating. The way Microsoft have botched Xbox since the Xbox One reveal is just maddening.

Top Bottom