• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me fill in my RPG collection

rykomatsu

For PS2....one of them is an SRPG though

Ar Tonelico 1
Ar Tonelico 2

If you fall into the niche that these games target, it's a difficult IP to NOT buy the media mix out there (ie. Vocal CDs, collectors books, drama CDs, etc). The vocals are hauntingly beautiful and amazing. Some of Shikata Akiko and Shimotsuki Haruka's best works imho. Story takes place in the same world, but different areas. Quite a few fans are eagerly awaiting official announcement of AT3 and it's an IP that GUST is pushing pretty heavily even a year after AT2's release.

Venus & Braves
A little long and tedious at times, but this is considered by a lot of people to be one of the best RPG's (and arguably in all genres) to have hit the PS2. The music score is amazing and the story can bring tears to gamers. Gameplay is somewhat unique in that you're required to raise and maintain your party and also determine when to retire them for the new guard to take their place. Party development has some strategy involved as you're aiming to halt a bunch of prophecies. So in an ideal situation, your party will be at its peak right around the time the prophecies come to fruition. Really great ending as well. The battle system is a cyclic system where you rotate through a few rows of characters.
Characters can join the party by hiring them from the local tavern or as offspring of characters that get married etc. Easily ranks in the top5 games that I've played since the early 80's

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RevenantKioku said:
You do know they series gets better (Then on par, Then worse, then slightly better but still bad, then fairly good at the end) after 1, right? Eh. To each there own.

Drkirby said:
You do know they series gets better (Then on par, Then worse, then slightly better but still bad, then fairly good at the end) after 1, right? Eh. To each there own.

I recommend Battle Network 3. But whatever you do, DO NOT GET 4.

Hiltz

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur

Diablo 2: LOD

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (coming for Wii)

Kizuna (coming for Wii)

Arc Rise Fantasia - (coming for Wii)

MoogPaul

I don't know why, but I've always been a sucker for Robotrek by Enix. Apparently it's called Slapstick for the SF.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Attack You said:
Looks like BUSINESS IS ABOUT TO PICK UP! Also, how do you own Alundra 2, but not the original? It's like you want to have a hit put out on you.
Lost my copy but hated the damn thing so no desire to replace it.
And I do have Earthbound. Look closer. :p

JayDubya

Banned
Well, it looks like you have every jRPG known to man. :lol Even some bad ones.

There are some really, really great wRPGs, duderino.

That may not matter though, since you seem to be playing catch 'em all.

Red Scarlet

I know one game you don't have...
l_p1004880320.jpg

;)

Also, the other day I found a bigger version of the picture your av is from, if you want to try to resize it or anything, but probably not due to a die being in the way:
rk.png

Splatt

I'd reccommend you something, but holy shit, your JRPG list is sooo big that whatever I could think of to mention is probably on it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Red Scarlet said:
I know one game you don't have...
l_p1004880320.jpg

;)

Also, the other day I found a bigger version of the picture your av is from, if you want to try to resize it or anything, but probably not due to a die being in the way:
rk.png
That image is being blocked on my iPhone. What is it?
Got a good haul today. Will post a pic when I get home.
Wait, let me guess. FFXIIi.

RevenantKioku

2911258091_bd7ca83f43_b.jpg

Ze haul of today.
Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon
Captain Rainbow
Opoona
Tengai Makyou Collection
Shining Wisdom (fifty fucking yen!)
White Lion Densetsu
Battle of Olympus
Actraiser
Ronde

I particularly like the ¥50 copy of Shining Wisdom. I kinda splurged on it, since all the other copies had anywhere from 5% to 35% discount for case or CD damages. But I figured I could spoil myself a little.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicle in Japan) are not listed here. They're not perfect games, but they're good. They're by Level-5 and basically they're sort of dungeony action RPGs where you get items that you then use to help rebuild the world. It's more involved than Terranigma or the build-the-ice-town line of quests in Morrowind. I'd really recommend DC2; they're both pretty long games so committing to both might be overkill.

Also by Level-5, you might enjoy Jeanne D'Arc. I know, I know, no SRPGs. You took the Vandal Hearts suggestion well, though, and both of the games sort of fall into the relatively shallow SRPG designation. Jeanne D'Arc is a very solid game and if you find some of the tedium associated with many SRPGs to be annoying, it's not really here. Battles are very quick.

I know you're bigger on JRPGs, but you might consider checking out the three BioWare console RPGs. Mass Effect for the 360, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for the Xbox (it's BC-enabled on Western systems, don't know about NTSC-J), and Jade Empire. Unfortunately, of these only Jade Empire came out in Japan and it's easily the weakest of the three. I think all three are worth playing though.

On the DS, you're missing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, Izuna 2, Shiren the Wanderer in the Dungeon Crawler category. From the Abyss is a dungeon crawling ARPG that you should be able to get for cheap if you can find it. You're also missing the Front Mission port as well as Front Mission 2089, but since you have other installments in the series I figured I'd suggest them. You're also missing Glory of Heracles which should be dirt cheap by now, although Aeana does not recommend it.

On a Front Mission related note, you're missing 1, 3, and 5. The DS port of 1 is my recommended route. I've never played 5 but it's pretty widely considered to be one of the best in the series.

• Rudora no Hihou is an extremely pretty, late-period Square SFAM RPG with a totally weird word-based magic system. It doesn't have a deep system besides that, and it's kind of grindy, but it's got a neat multi-character intertwining story thing.
  • Treasure Hunter G is similarly another late-period Square RPG that never made it out in the US, although I didn't make it far into this one and it's kind of goofy (and a licensed property, oddly enough.)
  • You don't have a Megadrive, but if you did, you could invest in classics like Light Crusader (Treasure's venture into Western-styled action RPGs!), Sword of Vermillion (the first console-exclusive game designed by Yu Suzuki!), and Warriors of the Eternal Sun (using sweet, delicious reused assets from Eye of the Beholder!)
  • I see someone got to Live-a-Live already (and holy shit, still ¥5000?)

RevenantKioku

Splatt said:
i don't know how i forgot about this one

http://cdn1.gamepro.com/article_img/gamepro/176750-10-1.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Don't worry, I will forget about it.

I know my list, like many other things about me, is very long but please read it. I already own a lot of the recommended titles. It's touching to get a nice long write up about Venus & Braves, but it is sitting right next to me as we speak.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just glancing at the list (I'm actually leaving in a few min), I can see a few omissions. I could probably get more later, but here goes:

Great Greed (not sure about the Japanese name) for Game Boy. Sorry Link1110 I beat ya to it ;)

Maka Maka for SFC

Shining the Holy Ark, Lunar Eternal Blue, Anearth Fantasy Stories, Linkle Liver Story, Dark Wizard, Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey, Tengai Makyo: The Apocalypse IV for Saturn

Samurai Spirits RPG for Saturn/PS1/Neo Geo CD

You also need some Langrisser in that collection!!!

Doctor_No

You got a great collection! You get extra respect, from me at least, for having all the Romancing Saga-series and Majin-tensei (which isn't a good game, but part of the megaten universe).

Some suggestion, since you are looking for some esoteric stuff. . .

Linda^3 (cubed):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5494469&postcount=83
Its a hardcore classic, with an incredible story. You can even see the archetype of Pokemon in this game; truly adult, mature, and great fun. Available on the PS, Saturn. PC-engine CD-rom. Get Linda³ Again on the Playstation, however the Saturn version is the best.

the adventures of Puppet Princess(マール王国の人形姫):
Very early Nippon Ichi game, and their first RPG, its also available for the PSN in Japan, its a mediocre game but great item in a RPG collection.

Other obscure SFC titles that may not be the best games but have a place in a JRPG collection:
Live a Live -early Square RPG
Tresure Hunter G - last SFC Square game, not as bad as many make it out to be, and also available on the Wii VC
MakaMaka -Japan's best and most famous kuso-ge
Lady Stalker - another kuso-ge, crappier then MakaMaka, less funny but more perverted
Daikaiju-monogatari (大貝獣物語) - a Hudson RPG classic, and a very decent game
Aqutallion (アクタリオン) - incredibly rare, low production run
Lenas 2 (レナス2) - have a soft spot for this one due to the art direction, nothing exciting in terms of gameplay, but a beautiful game.
Silva Saga 2- better then one, great character and incredible enemy design.
WIZAP! - innovative game, western concepts, its a free/multi-scenario, sword-world-esque overworld system- very under-rated game

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RevenantKioku said:
2911258091_bd7ca83f43_b.jpg

Ze haul of today.
Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon
Captain Rainbow
Opoona
Tengai Makyou Collection
Shining Wisdom (fifty fucking yen!)
White Lion Densetsu
Battle of Olympus
Actraiser
Ronde

I particularly like the ¥50 copy of Shining Wisdom. I kinda splurged on it, since all the other copies had anywhere from 5% to 35% discount for case or CD damages. But I figured I could spoil myself a little.
What magical place do you goto that has ¥50 games. Its one of those awesome Japanese game stores that still has NES games and a second story, isn't it :('

Oh, and Treasure Hunter G is a fairly good game too.

RevenantKioku

Xenogears is another great example of I OWN THIS GAME but where is my copy? I did buy it on PSN, though.

I always see Linda^3 at Super Potato Osaka and I have never checked the price, but it is such a unique cover that I can't help but notice it.

Drkirby said:
What magical place do you goto that has ¥50 games. Its one of those awesome Japanese game stores that still has NES games and a second story, isn't it :('

Oh, and Treasure Hunter G is a fairly good game too.
Every store I went to today has Famicom games. I still laugh how the Saturn games tend to be more towards the front in some of the stores than 360 or PS3 games.

The interesting thing about the ¥50 game is that the discounts still applied. See, a lot of stores will take off a percent if there are scratches, or damage to the manual or case. So, I could have gotten 35% off a ¥50 copy of the game but had to deal with some scratches and a big crack in the CD case.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, I just remebered one. There was a good Medabots RPG on the GBA, Think the Japanese version is called Medarot G.

580616_20219_front.jpg

gfs_19884_2_1.jpg

gfs_19884_2_4.jpg

The only thing I have to say is if you do try and track it down, there is also a Metabots fighter game, with the carts (At least in the US) a bit hard to tell apart. (Plus, the fighter wasn't that much fun :p)

RevenantKioku

Doctor_No said:
You got a great collection! You get extra respect, from me at least, for having all the Romancing Saga-series and Majin-tensei (which isn't a good game, but part of the megaten universe).
I need to get Spiral Nemesis. I didn't realize Ronde was technically a successor to those games. Interesting.

MakaMaka -Japan's best and most famous kuso-ge
Lady Stalker - another kuso-ge, crappier then MakaMaka, less funny but more perverted
Daikaiju-monogatari (大貝獣物語) - a Hudson RPG classic, and a very decent game
Gonna look for these cause they seem interesting. How are is the sequel to Daikaiju monogatari?

Aqutallion (アクタリオン) - incredibly rare, low production run
Tecmo Secret of the Stars? Shit game, isn't it?

Doctor_No

I would recommend Linda^3 if they have it in Super Potato for cheap. For the PS version it shouldn't go over 3,000-5,000yen (unopened). The Saturn version goes for a little more. I have all three version and I would say the Saturn version is the best, but the PS version may be more attractive since you can play it on your PS2 or PS3. Regardless, its a very good game, the multiple mind-fuck story lines are what really make this game special. It was rated 18-kin when the game was first released, but its not that type of game, so don't let that deter you.

RevenantKioku said:
Gonna look for these cause they seem interesting. How are is the sequel to Daikaiju monogatari?

The sequel is very good. It uses the same system as Tengai Makyo Zero; (the PLS system I think its called). Time runs real-time even when you're not playing the game (common feature now in game like Pokemon but innovative back then). I'm not sure if Hiroi Ooji had any hand in Daikaiju Monogatari but both games are from Hudson.

RevenantKioku said:
Tecmo Secret of the Stars? Shit game, isn't it?

I forgot to put the kuso-ge tag on it as well. And its not as funny as Maka-Maka or stupid-perverted as Lady Stalker. The problem with the game is that its so damn slow by modern standards (the movement of the characters etc), you basically beat the game at around level 20-30. The game was also very hard, probably hard enough that most people stopped playing the game too early to find out how shitty it was. I think only 13,000 copies of the Japanese version were ever made, and I doubt that many copies are still left due to its overall unloved shitiness (even with its rarity I think the game sells for only around 1,000yen). Perhaps I put it in my list because I have an affinity towards kuso-ge RPGs that can be hard to find.

speaking of kuso-games, I have a previous post on Makamaka:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5503004&postcount=176

Quixzlizx

rykomatsu said:
For PS2....one of them is an SRPG though

Ar Tonelico 1
Ar Tonelico 2

If you fall into the niche that these games target, it's a difficult IP to NOT buy the media mix out there (ie. Vocal CDs, collectors books, drama CDs, etc). The vocals are hauntingly beautiful and amazing. Some of Shikata Akiko and Shimotsuki Haruka's best works imho. Story takes place in the same world, but different areas. Quite a few fans are eagerly awaiting official announcement of AT3 and it's an IP that GUST is pushing pretty heavily even a year after AT2's release.

He does have one Atelier Iris game on his list, but none of the other Gust ps2 games. I don't know whether that means he broke his AI disc in half, or just forgot about it. I think AT is much better than AI myself.

Doctor_No

Just thought of some other obscure titles for a growing jrpg collection. . .

Moon (PS1)- this one is easy to find, it was re-released in the Playstion Books series and is a unique title. The game isn't for everyone, but its one of my favorites. It was originally labeled a "Remix RPG adventure", the game starts off with the main character playing a game "Fake Moon" on a SFC - kinda like the play within a play in Hamlet. He controls a hero (Yusha) in the game he's playing. There are two parallel chracter/worlds which the interacts with each other and with you- its a game within a game.

Its an utterly different RPG experience with a well written and refreshing story. The music is insanely good (its part of the gameplay, you gather your own BGM as you play this 'rpg'). The game is made by LOVEdeLIC; the guys behind odd-artsy titles like L.O.L (lack of love) for the Dreamcast, and UFO- A day in the life. The company has morphed into Skip, Vanpool, Punchline: known for titles like Chu♥lip, Rule of Roses, Chibi-Robo, Captain Rainbow, Bit-generations, etc.

Moon Videos:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=4hyyiZZ9-Ew
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=d261iscuzho&feature=related
L.O.L. video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pARffij0KaA

moonbest.jpg

Magicoal (マジクール) - Action RPG for the PC Engine. I remember this game only vaguely, but its well regarded. Its an action RPG where 2 players can play, if you're alone the second player is on AI. The strategy with magic plays a crucial role especially with bosses. The game came out around the same time as Seiken Desetsu 2, and on a less popular system, hence the game has been somewhat forgotten.

magicool.jpg

Momotaro-densetsu- (PC engine, others) not the popular den"tetsu" series (which is a spin-off), but the original RPG. I think in retrospect its probably better in my memory, but at the time it was a good looking game and only available for the PC-engine. I'm not sure how much collector's significance it has, but it was a solid traditional JRPG.

Link1110

djtiesto said:
Great Greed (not sure about the Japanese name) for Game Boy. Sorry Link1110 I beat ya to it ;)
gg.png

ビタミーナ王国物語

Apart from that, you seem to be missing the entire Tales series.

RevenantKioku

Aselith said:
Shadow Hearts all of them
You can't possibly be reading the OP if you suggest this.

Regarding moon, I have been looking for it, but have yet to actually run into it.

RevenantKioku said:
I should slap you for posting this. You already gave me like 4 reasons why this is an SRPG that was designed to make me hate life.

But then you'll have an incomplete collection of the Dept Heaven games?

RevenantKioku

kiruyama said:
But then you'll have an incomplete collection of the Dept Heaven games?
Wait, you're not who I think you are.
Anyway, the game is ¥7000+, and SRPG, permadeath, missable characters and loot, and something else too that I hate. It's just a game designed not to be one I want to play.
So, I'm okay without having all the Dept Heaven games.

Aselith

RevenantKioku said:
You can't possibly be reading the OP if you suggest this.

Regarding moon, I have been looking for it, but have yet to actually run into it.

I scanned down your list and I only saw Shadow Hearts: From the New World. :/ Metal Saga though METAL SAGA!

kiryogi

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Wait, you're not who I think you are.
Anyway, the game is ¥7000+, and SRPG, permadeath, missable characters and loot, and something else too that I hate. It's just a game designed not to be one I want to play.
So, I'm okay without having all the Dept Heaven games.

BTW. I'm not Kiruyama.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Some others:

Spectral Odyssey I and II for PC Engine
XAK III for PC Engine
Tenshi no Uta for PC Engine
Miracle Warriors for SMS
Golden Axe Warrior for SMS
Faria for NES
Story of Mars for PSX
Guardian's Crusade/Knight and Baby for PSX
Radia no Senki for Famicom

robor

Well for start as you might wanna get the Shining Force series (including the extra scenarios for III) and IF you can get past the pessimistic haze, then I highly recommend Chrono Cross. Apart from that you seem to have a ridiculous collection of RPGs.

I don't know if you're willing to grab an old Wonderswan Color, but there's a few on there worth getting, if anything just to sate that obscurity appetite. Squaresoft's Wild Card, to mention one.

2722025710_92187d1fe5.jpg

Also, what about the NeoGeo Pocket Color? I assume you've already picked up something like that (I picked up a NGPC from Geo for ¥500, still in the box), so that's another avenue for something like Bio Motor Unitron.

bio_screen004.jpg

Hope that helps. I'm not too big on JRPGs in general, though.

Top Bottom