• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me fill in my RPG collection

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
robor said:
Well for start as you might wanna get the Shining Force series (including the extra scenarios for III) and IF you can get past the pessimistic haze, then I highly recommend Chrono Cross. Apart from that you seem to have a ridiculous collection of RPGs.
I was just reading up on Radical Dreamers and noticed my Chrono Cross copy has also disappeared!
I got Xenogears on PSN, so I am not worried about my old US copy, but I really wonder wtf happened to Chrono Cross. Shit! Damn moving really screwed me up in some cases.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
So I found a copy of Homeland for ¥980 yesterday. Hot shit!
I also picked up Phantasy Star Portable due to pier pressure but that hardly counts, I think.

Cartman86

Banned
Chrono Cross is my favorite JRPG of all time, so I would recommend getting it. It's a pretty decisive game. Some hate it some swear by it. Just to give you an idea of my tastes (or lack thereof)...

Top 5 JRPG's

1. Chrono Cross
2. Final Fantasy VIII
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Skies of Arcadia

RevenantKioku

snaildog said:
How about sell all that crap and get some decent PC RPGs?
I've never met a PC RPG that I liked. Vampire: Bloodlines was almost not crap but it would never run properly on any computer I tried it on. Plus, it took me forever to find Baldur's Gate 2 in Japanese, and that was not even worth the effort.

I did get a copy of Chrono Cross the other day on the cheap. Like not even ¥500? Was a good deal.

snaildog

RevenantKioku said:
I've never met a PC RPG that I liked. Vampire: Bloodlines was almost not crap but it would never run properly on any computer I tried it on. Plus, it took me forever to find Baldur's Gate 2 in Japanese, and that was not even worth the effort.
You responded to my trolling with civil rationality... good show.

RevenantKioku

snaildog said:
You responded to my trolling with civil rationality... good show.
Well, people like to think I am a Japanophile because I want to love everything Japanese, but it turns out I just coincidentally love everything Japanese. At least in regards to RPGs, I should say.
If you are clever, though, you can look in that Fallout 3 thread just posted about perspectives and see something humorous in my post.

RevenantKioku

Xmas08.JPG

Got a sweet haul over the Xmas holiday. Got Live A Live for ¥333! (Well, I won a ¥1000 lottery like thing at a game store. Got to pick three games from a case so I got Live A Live, Kirby Super Delux and Seiken Densetsu 3 which I gave to a friend for Xmas. Still have my copy sitting in the States, though...)
Anyway, I am excited that the Shining Force 3 in completion only set me back maybe ¥2500 or so. I got 2 and 3 a while back but just wanted to put them in with 1 which I picked up a few days ago.

0 HP

xenogears
alundra
lunar 1 & 2
dragon force
magic knight rayearth (saturn)

off the top of my head

also since you can read japanese id get the ys remakes if thats your thing, especially oath of felghania or w/e its called.

RevenantKioku

I keep forgetting to add Xenogears to the list because I only have it as a PSN purchase.

And Alundra I used to own but lost. No interest in rebuying it. What I played was pure shit. About 20 hours of pure shit.

0 HP

albert odyssey for saturn is good too. the working designs/NA version fixed a lot of shit from what i hear so i'd get that version if you were interested.

scratch magic knight rayearth though, it was kind of lame in retrospect.

Ashour

Brave Story: The New traveler for the PSP, it was released last year and I think it’s one of the best and most entertaining RPGs I’ve played in years.

You can find it new on Amazon.com for $20 which is a great value for a great game.

51bY1v4uESL._SS500_.jpg

Don't mind the artwork, the graphics in this game is one of the best on the PSP.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
RevenantKioku said:
Xmas08.JPG

Got a sweet haul over the Xmas holiday. Got Live A Live for ¥333! (Well, I won a ¥1000 lottery like thing at a game store. Got to pick three games from a case so I got Live A Live, Kirby Super Delux and Seiken Densetsu 3 which I gave to a friend for Xmas. Still have my copy sitting in the States, though...)
Anyway, I am excited that the Shining Force 3 in completion only set me back maybe ¥2500 or so. I got 2 and 3 a while back but just wanted to put them in with 1 which I picked up a few days ago.

That's a SWEET haul. Live A Live is one of my favorite games ever, Tom Sawyer is great for the lulz, Elfaria 2 was sick not sure how #1 is (game is made by RED too). Also let me know how Linda^3 is, I've been looking for that one for a while but it's pretty pricey, at least on US Ebay.

And get Tengai Makyo the Apocalypse IV next...

jarrod

Banned
Quick aside, but Shining Wisdom, Alundra 2, Okami and Slime Morimori aren't "action RPGs".. They're all straight up "heart container" collecting Zelda clones.

Kevtones

Two things about this thread break my heart.

1) I had nearly forgotten about Captain Rainbow and Nintendo's business decision to never localize it. Fuck it saddens me. Poor Skip.

2) Where is any Monster Lab for Wii? It's like Robotrek with monster parts! It's one of the best/most polished Wii efforts around. I think one of the devs posts here too.

Grimmy

Banned
How can you not have FAR EAST OF EDEN: THE FOURTH APOCALYPSE????

And if you ever get a PC-Engine DUO, here's my recommendations:

Emerald Dragon
Tenshi no Uta I & II
Xak I & II
Xak III
The Legend of Xanadu I & II
Gulliver Boy (also on Saturn)
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys

RevenantKioku

Kevtones said:
Two things about this thread break my heart.

1) I had nearly forgotten about Captain Rainbow and Nintendo's business decision to never localize it. Fuck it saddens me. Poor Skip.

2) Where is any Monster Lab for Wii? It's like Robotrek with monster parts! It's one of the best/most polished Wii efforts around. I think one of the devs posts here too.
No Japanese release means I've never heard of it and probably won't get it.

I should really get to Captain Rainbow someday. Working towards it!

Grimmy said:
How can you not have FAR EAST OF EDEN: THE FOURTH APOCALYPSE???
Really don't know much about that series.

Grimmy

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Really don't know much about that series.

Well, you now have the Far East of Eden collection on the PSP... a good start. But by far the most impressive (and insane) is THE FOURTH APOCALYPSE. You should be able to find the PSP version for pretty cheap.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Grimmy said:
Well, you now have the Far East of Eden collection on the PSP... a good start. But by far the most impressive (and insane) is THE FOURTH APOCALYPSE. You should be able to find the PSP version for pretty cheap.

For real, get this game Revenant, you will like it I'm pretty sure...

RevenantKioku

Noted. I guess I can slide that into the queue for once Dissidia is cleared. Working on so much right now, haha.

Tabris

XENO FUCKING GEARS.

Even if you have a digital copy, buy it for your collection because it should be the focus point of anyone's RPG collection! ...right next to SUI FUCKING KODEN 2!

...I'm passionate about those two games and if you say you don't love them, then you're dead to me.

I don't see a single Tengai Makyou game on there I guarantee you'd enjoy them though or at least as far as Hardcore Gaming 101 has led me to believe..

EDIT: Far East of Eden Collection for psp, I missed that part, that's pretty much all of them... but you're missing, Tengai Makyou Zero for SNES and Tengai Makyou 3: Namida for playstation 2 though. How much did you enjoy that series?

EDIT 2: Rezel Cross for PSP, how did this become so obscure? Is there something wrong with it? I played it for a short while and it seemed fine. Give this one a shot, it might be severely underrated.

EDIT # i'm tried of editing: Nostalgio no Kaze for the DS, made by the same good folks that remake FF games for the DS.

Grimmy

Banned
octopusman said:
EDIT: Far East of Eden Collection for psp, I missed that part, that's pretty much all of them... but you're missing, Tengai Makyou Zero for SNES and Tengai Makyou 3: Namida for playstation 2 though. How much did you enjoy that series?

NAMIDA is like the ugly bastard son of Tengai Makyou. The cartoony charm and madcap humour is replaced with sterile 3D graphics that are hardly adequate at expressing the zaniness of the series. I *really* wished the game came out on the PC-FX or even the PC-Engine like it was supposed to. Then it wouldn't have tried to go 3-D.

RevenantKioku

Tabris said:
XENO FUCKING GEARS.

Even if you have a digital copy, buy it for your collection because it should be the focus point of anyone's RPG collection! ...right next to SUI FUCKING KODEN 2!

...I'm passionate about those two games and if you say you don't love them, then you're dead to me.
I have attempted to play Xeno-fucking-gears about ten times and every time I give up a while in. The farthest I ever got was some tournament. Nothing has ever kept me motivated to finish the game. Maybe one day.
Rocksteady33 said:
Not sure if it was mentioned, but where the hell is Phantasy Star Online I & II for GameCube?
Not putting that shit anywhere near my collection!
PSO Episode 3 is a mistake in itself, which I am more than willing to sell at a loss! (Which, considering what I paid for it is nearly impossible!)

You really need Lufia/Estopolis 1 and 2.

other rpgs i own that i don't see. not necessarily good,

PS1, though many SRPG:

Azure Dreams
Battle Hunter
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire III
Elemental Gearbolt - Lightgun/RPG
Granstream Saga
Saiyuki: journey West
Vandal Hearts 1/2
Vanguard Bandits/Epica Stella

DC

Evolution 1/2
Grandia II
Time Stalkers
Elemental Gimmick Gear

Saturn

Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
Legend of Oasis

Sega CD

Dark Wizard
Popful Mail (think there is a SFAM version too)
Vay

Tabris

OH MY GOD. You also don''t have LUFIA?! Lufia 2 is the pinnacle of 16-bit RPGaming.

I'm severly disappointed in you.

Jaded Alyx said:
Well right away I see you're missing Opoona.

You quick to notice that one.

DS:
Since you've been playing Sigma Harmonics and ASH, I'll recommend Ibunroku Devil Summoner, Suikoden Tierkreis, Valkyrie Profile Covenant of Plume, and Tales games.

jarrod

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
Popful Mail (think there is a SFAM version too)
There's also a PCECD version. Mega CD is definitely the best, even though Falcom actually developed the SFC version inhouse.

RevenantKioku

Just updated the list and have been going through this thread again adding things to my Wish List but I am confused on a few.

Anearth Fantasy Stories - Which version? I am sooo close to getting a TGCD but they are so expensive.
Samurai Spirits RPG for Saturn/PS1/Neo Geo CD - NGCD is probably never coming into my collection (unless you can show me 3 good RPGs unavailable anywhere else.) So is the Saturn the better version like most things?

Also, let's supposed I want to get a Megadrive and with it a MegaCD. What do I need to look for as far as setting that up, and what do I have to avoid? I know there were about 800 revisions of the Megadrive in the States at least. (Sony is the new Sega!)

Viperbah

Try Tales of Vesperia and Odin Sphere-I just finished both and they were awesome.

Also consider valkyria chronicles if you have a ps3

RevenantKioku

Dreweyes said:
You do have Mother 1 + 2 but you really should have Earthbound too.
There's really no reason to. Well, I do have a copy back in the states, but only if I come across a cheap copy of Mother 2 will I have the Super Fami version. The Mother 1+2 does me just fine.
bah321 said:
Try Tales of Vesperia and Odin Sphere-I just finished both and they were awesome.
Also consider valkyria chronicles if you have a ps3
Vesperia and Valkyria are pickups when they drop a little more. Odin Sphere I wouldn't count as an RPG really, and even then it's a terrible game. I have a US copy floating around somewhere.

BluWacky

Obviously missing from the list, apologies if some have already been mentioned -

Tales of Rebirth for PS2 or PSP. Never seems to get discounted, unfortunately. Plus Symphonia - Ratatosk no Kishi for Wii, but I KNOW someone's going to have mentioned that and I'll have missed it.
Seven - Momorth no Kiheitai for PS2 (spiritual prequel to Venus and Braves). There's a Best Collection rerelease of this one I think.
Tenkuu no Escaflowne for Playstation. Anime license, but expands on the TV show plot a bit and wasn't bad from what very little I've played.
Juuni Kokuki - Kakukakutaru Oudou, Kouroku no Uka (well, I think that's how it transliterates) for PS2. Another anime license. This is a sequel, the first game is an ADV with turn-based battles but this is a proper RPG.
Popolocrois ~ Hajimari no Bouken and Popolocrois ~ Tsuki ni Okite no Bouken for PS2, as well as PopoRogue for Playstation - I believe the best Popolocrois game is Monogatari 2 which is included in the PSP release, and personally I'm not a huge fan of these, but there you go. Something in my head is warning me that PopoRogue may be an SRPG so you may want to avoid that, although I'm probably wrong.
Already mentioned, but Trusty Bell ~Chopin no Yume~ is on PS3 now (with an added "Reprise" in the title) so having a broken Xbox is no excuse. Unless you have no PS3 either. I'd add Shirokishi Monogatari as well if you do. Beyond that I don't have a PS3 so I don't know if there's anything else missing.
I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but if you're collecting then Magna Carta has both a PS2 and a PSP release.
Oooooh, a nice relatively obscure one - Tomato Adventure for GBA! I loved this game to bits, it's by the Mario & Luigi RPG developers.

I know nothing about pre-SNES RPGs I'm afraid and you've got all the SNES ones I can think of anyway. Out of the above I can only vouch for the quality of Tales of Rebirth and Tomato Adventure, the others are just ones I've thought of.

RevenantKioku

3224344397_3c8aa695d4.jpg

Very happy with this haul, since I had been seeing Robotrek and Lufia 2 for a ¥2000 or so apiece and got the three of these (and Dragonball for Famicom) for just ¥2000. A steal, really.

RevenantKioku

3266704500_d2fb81afc3.jpg

3265879107_b6dcf1a607.jpg

Been getting some nice deals. Also been making good progress this year on my backlog as I have finished 6 games already. My buying rate doesn't help, though. :lol

RevenantKioku said:
PSO Episode 3 is a mistake in itself, which I am more than willing to sell at a loss! (Which, considering what I paid for it is nearly impossible!)
You didn't like PSO3? it's different, but I liked it a lot.

RevenantKioku

octopusman said:
You didn't like PSO3? it's different, but I liked it a lot.
Never played it. But the presence of PSO3 which is mostly an accident shouldn't imply I'd want the other games in my collection.

RevenantKioku

Sadly, no. My days of popping in a game and playing it a bit when I get it are over. I am currently trying to clear out the lot of games that I have with saves going on right now and after that I hope to keep it to 3 or maybe 4 games going on at once. My backlog is atrocious, but it seems that I can make solid progress if I keep it up and keep my GAF time limited, haha.

RevenantKioku

Drkirby said:
Why don't you have Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn? (On a side note, is widescreen only in the NA version?)
Quite possibly my fervent dislike for strategy RPGs.

Top Bottom