• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst - "We value PC gamers, and will continue to look at the right times to launch EACH game [on PC]."

GrayChild

Gold Member
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...ats-next-for-playstation-studios/#sf246401757

PSB: [How does] PC fit into the worldview of PlayStation Studios moving forward?

Hermen: We’re still early on in our planning for PC. And Horizon Zero Dawn has been very successful. I think it shows there’s an appetite from gamers outside the PlayStation ecosystem to experience the amazing portfolio of games that PlayStation fans have enjoyed for years.

But I want to emphasize that PlayStation will remain the best place to play our PlayStation Studios titles at launch. But we do value PC gamers, and we’ll continue to look at the right times to launch each game. Bend Studio just released the PC version of Days Gone on May 18. So that’s about two years after the PS4 release.

And I hope that a new set of fans can and will enjoy that title. And that’s the goal — we want to reach new gamers who haven’t yet experienced the great stories, characters, and worlds that we’ve built. Releasing games on PC will not come ever at the expense of building an exciting lineup of great console games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuranghi

Normally I'd be excited to clean up IQ in games I like/love, but who even cares since you can't reasonably buy a GPU until late-2022 probably. Great if you managed to get a current gen card though, I'm still stuck on this stinky (read: fantastic) GTX 1080.

Papacheeks

Banned
Been trying to tell people for ages on here. The writing is on the wall, people just dont want to see it.
I will be super surprised if by the time we reach the end of this gen, PS5 games are not launching day and date on PC.

Not going to happen. And you have to be idiotic to not see the difference in volume they sell on Console compared to PC. Also them bringing over previous gen games does not mean the future of Playstation is going to launch day to date. They are bringing last gen games over to PC for second life which in the end will bring people into Playstation studios ecosystem of software, making them a fan. And those people if they want it badly will buy a PS5.

Launching games day to date is not something they need to do. Microsoft needs to because there games currently dont sell and are in a way cannibolized by Gamepass access.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Bend Studio just released the PC version of Days Gone on May 18. So that’s about two years after the PS4 release.

Bend Studio​

Games by this company: 1
Average userscore: N/A%
Average metascore: N/A%
Average playtime: 23:10
Total copies owned: 286,000
Average price: $49.99

$14 milli ain't bad to port a game that was developed on PC hardware and had little to no marketing.

Sure, but how much did the port cost them? Additionally you need to remove about 30% LGT (Lord Gaben Tax), leaving you with about $9.8 mln (excl. add. costs ).

HZD reached 1.2mln copies in 9 months, avg. $ 49.99

Guerrilla​

Games by this company: 1
Average userscore: N/A%
Average metascore: N/A%
Average playtime: 08:07
Total copies owned: 1,210,000
Average price: $49.99

Last edited:

Senua

We love you too Hermen!!!

B2qRHQe.jpg

Kazza

That's a stretch. Keep dreaming though, bub. Each =/=Every

"we’ll continue to look at the right times to launch each game"

Note that he didn't say "right games", just "right times", suggesting that many, if not all, PS5 "exclusives" will be coming to PC. In other words, it's just a matter of when, not if. He could easily have said "we'll continue to look at which games to launch", but choose not to 👀

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
Not going to happen. And you have to be idiotic to not see the difference in volume they sell on Console compared to PC. Also them bringing over previous gen games does not mean the future of Playstation is going to launch day to date. They are bringing last gen games over to PC for second life which in the end will bring people into Playstation studios ecosystem of software, making them a fan. And those people if they want it badly will buy a PS5.

Launching games day to date is not something they need to do. Microsoft needs to because there games currently dont sell and are in a way cannibolized by Gamepass access.
Yes of course thats it. Ok then, going by that we will never see Horizon 2 on PC then.
We will see what happens he he.

Chukhopops

If it really is a two year average delay (still cannot believe it) then I’m completely fine with waiting to play those on PC. Doesn’t change anything if you play primarily on PS machines of course, but for others it makes you think twice before killing the feng shui of your living room with a console you will only use for timed exclusives.

dcmk7

Banned
Been trying to tell people for ages on here. The writing is on the wall, people just dont want to see it.
I will be super surprised if by the time we reach the end of this gen, PS5 games are not launching day and date on PC.
That doesn't make any sense.

Waiting a period of time before releasing on PC, gives it a new lease of life and encourages people double dipping.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yes of course thats it. Ok then, going by that we will never see Horizon 2 on PC then.
We will see what happens he he.

You wont see it till closer to end of gen. Or at least once they have hit certain sales milestones. Thats how a lot of these decisions are made.

Kazza

I'm most looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima.

I hope they don't ignore the smaller, older games such as Gravity Rush etc, but I fear they'll be focussing on the blockbusters, such as TLOU2, GoW etc.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My steam catalogue will continue to be the best collection of games in existence. With today's news I genuinely regret getting my ps5 at launch. I could have just bought days gone and ghosts of tsushima on PC when they come. I'm only really playing star wars battlefront 2 on my ps5 with people on ps4 still lol.....

....for real, sadge

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You wont see it till closer to end of gen. Or at least once they have hit certain sales milestones. Thats how a lot of these decisions are made.
They saw 250% ROI on horizon. It proved to Sony and its share holders that there is a massive market for Sony games on PC. No way they wait that long to release horizon 2.

Also with today's news, don't expect any game to truly take advantage of sonys universe changing IO and ssd. Every game will be made with pc in mind. Yes you may need an SSD but it won't be to the speed the pa5 could pull off untethered to ps4 and PC. Before anyone says they will never have the minimum requirement as a 7000mbs ssd.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
They saw 250% ROI on horizon. It proved to Sony and its share holders that there is a massive market for Sony games on PC. No way they wait that long to release horizon 2.

They make more money from a sale of the game through PSN then they do through their split with Valve. They will continue to do a tiered release, and more than likely when they hit saturation is when they release it on PC.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not sure he is committing every game to PC, but that would be great news if he were, in my mind. I know other PS gamers don't like it and I kinda get why, but like DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong , I really don't see how this impacts console gamers in any real way. Actually, I think this will have a positive impact on PlayStatin consoles as PC gamers who are not familiar with how awesome Sony first party games really are will get a taste and may decide they would rather not wait for PC ports anymore. Either way, Sony has to stay competitive and this is how they do it.

They make more money from a sale of the game through PSN then they do through their split with Valve.

I would agree with that if they exclusively released it on Steam only, and not on either of their consoles, or vise versa. But they can sell it on ps4, ps5, and steam to get maximum profits. It could potentially sell more units on steam than ps5 in all honesty. If course most sales would be on ps4.

Last edited:

Kazza

They might as well release them sooner and sooner. It's not gonna affect console sales in any meaningful way.

I think they will have looked at how well the PS5 has been selling in spite of the PC port stuff and thought to themselves "well, it doesn't seem to be affecting sales, plus the PC stuff has been bringing in plenty of extra money, let's step this up a gear". I think that process will continue for as long as console sales don't appear to be affected (even if that eventually does mean day and date PC ports). While the PS5 games coming to PC should give people on enthusiast gaming forums like this second thoughts about whether to get a console or jump ship to PC, for regular, casual gamers, I think consoles will always be worth buying.

The Xbox One still sold well despite the PC port policy. I think any drop from the 360 figures were due to the disaster launch, rather than porting exclusives to PC.

I said it before and I'll say it again:

This gen, Xbox and Playstation fanboys will be arguing over which company's exclusives are looking and selling best on PC. It will be a new front in the console wars.

Kazza

There we have it from the horses mouth: Playstation console exclusives are “frankly not very good business”.

iu

How long before not releasing on PC day and date is "frankly not very good business"?

Edit: looking again more carefully, he actually seems to be talking in the context of PS4 cross gen titles here, but the same logic applies to PC I think.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I wouldn't mind Sony rolling out a PlayStation Store/Network on PC and just release these things Day 1. It would be cool to log into PSN on PC and buy and play games from there and keep all your friends, trophies etc...

Topher

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind Sony rolling out a PlayStation Store/Network on PC and just release these things Day 1. It would be cool to log into PSN on PC and buy and play games from there and keep all your friends, trophies etc...

I would love to see that. They could still sell it on Steam but have their own store with trophy integration would be pretty amazing.

Excess

Sony has nothing to lose by selling these games to PC gamers within at least six months of release on console.

I may not speak for every PC gamer, but many of us have the attitude of waiting as long as humanly possible before ever buying a console again, so it's a lost sale for them anyway. They may as well recoup some revenue from PC-only players like me.

martino

They make more money from a sale of the game through PSN then they do through their split with Valve. They will continue to do a tiered release, and more than likely when they hit saturation is when they release it on PC.
this is why the next step for them is to bring their network features and store on pc to also sell third party content and mtx there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom