• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes Of Might And Magic 6 Screens + Artwork Leaks.

Please be like 3. Please be like 3. Please be like 3. Please be like 3. Please be like 3. Please be like 3. Please be like 3......

Wait, square tiles?

peakish

MoxManiac said:
Looks like Heroes V with dumbed down resources. Not sure if want.
Yeah, still the same resources visible. Very curious about what they're doing with that.

Otherwise, nice screen!

Edit:

Okay so I have no idea what's going on, just a stupid member shooting the shit :p

I really wish they would go back to 2D graphics, from what I played of 5 the 3D didn't add to the strategy at all and only made the maps more of a chore to navigate. Also they need to go back to a hex-based battle screen, the square based system in 5 was crap. And WTF is up with only 3 types of resources? Not liking the look of this at all :(

Wiktor

Bossman said:
Black Hole did that pretty mediocre Warhammer: Mark of Chaos game. Doesn't sound good.
They're good at taking old formula and just putting new paint on it. Mark of Chaos was bassicaly a graphical refresh of Dark Omen, the problem was that little subgenre has moved a lot since then. Still...I enjoyed it and love the way HoMM VI looks, a lot more gritty and realistic than no.5, quite similiar to Mark of Chaos actualy, only with more detail.

Wiktor

Minsc said:
Well that's encouraging... they're literally the first good words I've read anywhere about the game.
Most complains can be summed up as "bu..bu...it's Heroes-like" and the fact that the hardcore fans played the russian release, which was a complete mess techicaly. The english version is a lot better, not just technicaly, but they also added local multi and map maker for example.

And the art style owns, hardcore fans might complain, but they just whine.. They bash the changes in designs, but plent of them are for the better. For example Bethrezen actually looks like tortured creature and fallen angel now, while in previous games he looked like Diablo on steroids (typical huge muscled devil)

MoxManiac

AdrianWerner said:
Most complains can be summed up as "bu..bu...it's Heroes-like" and the fact that the hardcore fans played the russian release, which was a complete mess techicaly. The english version is a lot better, not just technicaly, but they also added local multi and map maker for example.

And the art style owns, hardcore fans might complain, but they just whine.. They bash the changes in designs, but plent of them are for the better. For example Bethrezen actually looks like tortured creature and fallen angel now, while in previous games he looked like Diablo on steroids (typical huge muscled devil)

Doesn't bother me that it's HoMM like. Hell I didn't realize the US version of D3 was even out!!

Minsc

Gold Member
AdrianWerner said:
It must have been a really long time since you've last played HoMMV

Yea, it looks a lot better than V. There's more height variation to objects, there's more colors (hard to believe, V did not lack color), and the units look to have about 4x the polygon count. The screens are sorely missing AA, add that in, and you have a great looking TBS.

Resource removal has me a little worried, but perhaps it will streamline it a bit more. We'll see.

I guarantee that aside from HoMM II, HoMM V will forever be the game closest to III, so if you want to write V off, then you're going to hate any future releases as well, they'll be even less like III than V is (though I guess you might be able to make an argument that I is more like III than V, but I'm not sure).

notsol337

marked forever
The last Heroes of Might and Magic I remember playing is 2, and this is exciting me! Needs more necromancer screens.

Decado

V_Ben said:
I'm pretty sure Ubi owns the ip now, so they're probably publishing. As for developer, i have no idea. Ubi DID buy massive entertainment (ground control, world in conflict) a while back, and this could be the fruits of their labour.
While that would be interesting/promising...I'm pretty sure they're working on the next hopeless MMO.

Shit, Black Hole Entertainment. Not much of a step up from the HoMM5 developer. :\ Combat looks basic as ever.

I doubt Ubisoft will ever give this to a top-tier developer :(

Minsc said:
I guarantee that aside from HoMM II, HoMM V will forever be the game closest to III, so if you want to write V off, then you're going to hate any future releases as well, they'll be even less like III than V is (though I guess you might be able to make an argument that I is more like III than V, but I'm not sure).
I really need to give V more of a chance, honestly. If not, maybe VI can beat the jaded cynic that hates change out of me. I don't know. I dabbled in Tribes of the East around the same time I was getting into the King's Bounty games. Plus, I still play Heroes 3 regularly to this day. Given that, I've never given V the proper opportunity to win over my heart.

nincompoop said:
I really wish they would go back to 2D graphics, from what I played of 5 the 3D didn't add to the strategy at all and only made the maps more of a chore to navigate. Also they need to go back to a hex-based battle screen, the square based system in 5 was crap.

This a million times.

The right art style is there, the atmosphere.. looks like it may well be there, although we'd have to see some evil terrain to really know, but this could be a winner if it's balanced well. I want to be terribly excited about this, because it looks like a return to the HOMM 2/3 form. Where it will make or break itself will be in the details; it needs lots of factions, hopefully six at the least, diverse terrain, diverse units which are not broken, and excellent sound/music.

Hope they bring back the necromancers of Deyja.

Oh! and also, I really hope they bring back developing huge towns with different structures, if I recall correctly in 5 you just added little bits to your towers, which wasn't particularly compelling.

Wiktor

Decado said:
While that would be interesting/promising...I'm pretty sure they're working on the next hopeless MMO.

Shit, Black Hole Entertainment. Not much of a step up from the HoMM5 developer. :\ Combat looks basic as ever.

I doubt Ubisoft will ever give this to a top-tier developer :(

Nival was a top tier developer

From that IGN article butsomuch posted:
As you continue to move across map and reap resources you'll also be able to take over towns to add to your forces, which in Heroes VI includes the ability to convert towns entirely to your faction.
I don't know if I follow this. I mean, are these generic template towns with no structures that can be built into anything, or do they mean that if I encounter a Castle (or Haven or whatever they call it now) town as my Necromancer, I can say "I have no need for these troops in my army" and convert it into a Necromancer town?

Jarlaxle

This is awesome news! I love HoMM. II and III were some of my favorite games of all time. IV was pretty dissappointing and V was better. Can't wait to get my necromancer on. Sandro ftw.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome!

I loved HoMM2 and 3, and I've been playing a lot of King's Bounty the last couple of months. I also picked up HoMM5 during a Steam sale, but have yet to play it much.

Wehrwolf

Saw this listed as being up for release at the end of May on Steam (under the title Might & Magic Heroes 6)... Any more info out there yet? Edit: Apparently its coming out in June...

Another edit: Watched the trailer (at mmh6.com).. with no gameplay shots at all... That's not how to sell me on a game, guys :p... some of the other stuff on the site is a little better though.

Official site

MoxManiac

I was fairly down on this game before (see my previous posts in this thread from last year) but all the new info the game is looking really promising now. Definitely one of the games that is making me want a new PC.

Minsc

Gold Member
MoxManiac said:
I was fairly down on this game before (see my previous posts in this thread from last year) but all the new info the game is looking really promising now. Definitely one of the games that is making me want a new PC.

Aside from the 1GB of video memory for the recommended settings, the rest sounds pretty standard:

System Requirements:

Minimum:
OS: Windows® XP (with Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista® (with Service Pack 2) or Windows® 7
Processor: Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.0 Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 5000+ @ 2.6 Ghz
Memory: 1 GB for Windows XP and 1.5GB for Vista / Windows 7
Graphics: 512MB DirectX 9.0c
Direct X®: DirectX 9.0c
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
Hard Dis: 8 GB
Internet: 128 kBit/s upstream

Recommended:
OS: Windows® XP (with Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista® (with Service Pack 2) or Windows® 7
Processor: Intel Pentium Core 2 @ Duo E6400 @ 2.00 Ghz, AMD Athlon II X2 240 @ 2.8 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB (XP / Vista / Win7)
Graphics: 1 GB DirectX 9.0c
DIRECT X®: DirectX 9.0c

It's kinda funny they don't even list a GPU requirement other than RAM, probably scale down pretty well? Heroes V ran very well on older hardware imo.

This reminds me I still have to play Disciples 3 too.

Minsc

Gold Member
Barrel Cannon said:
Words can't describe how excited I am about this. HofM&M3 was seriously my favorite single-player strategy game of all time. The demo by itself gave me hours of enjoyment and then I plunked down the cash to buy the full game and lost countless 100's of hours of my childhood to it.

Going to be a Day 1 Buy for me

Gameplay video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RL7YqcpDm4&feature=related

Looks pretty nice if a little slow paced though. The link that video takes you to shows a few more fights, and an interesting battle against a boss spider thing. The game looks better than I thought visually too.

lordy88

I absolutely LOVED Hereos III, but never could get into Hereos V due to the incredibly slowed down gameplay + some pretty negative UI and gameplay choices that I disagree with (poor artifact system, less charm to the towns, horrible UI, atrocious cutscenes, etc.). However, after catching some videos on VI, there's a glimmer of hope that it might make me forget V altogether. Does anyone have some concrete info on this game? I couldn't seem to come across anywhere that lists the gameplay features.

Heroes of Might and Magic for life!

Top Bottom