• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Meeru said:
:D

Being very pessimistic here, but I'm strongly doubting Dota 2 will be this week, looking at Luminous's casting of his Dota 2 beta, there's still a bunch of stuff that needs to be fixed. Names all messed up, moonwalking Furion. But at least there's some new things like water ripples and splash on water, buildings destroying correctly.

Whenever it does come out though, I'm only going to play whenever my wife goes to school or her clinical. Which means Thursday 6am to 6pm and Wednesday 12pm to 3pm.

Beta was supposed to start next week anyway.

Also, it is a beta so there is going to be wonky stuff like that. :p

jasonng

bzm said:
you know sc2gaf is bad when mrmr wont even come back to it
spidermansingletear.gif

Meeru

Banned
Archie said:
Beta was supposed to start next week anyway.

Also, it is a beta so there is going to be wonky stuff like that. :p
Nooo don't say next week:((( We have to include the third week!!

IceMarker

So out of the five IH games I played so far tonight, 3 were off Mumble and 2 were on. In the off games, I won 2 of them with a decent score for myself, the third ended in the disaster. When Mumble was turned on, not only did my team lose, but I also had a sub-decent to horrible score for myself. Of course, this means nothing until I get more games under the belt on and off Mumble. Then again, Mumble should be considered one big distraction anyways from a gameplay perspective.

IceMarker

jasonng said:
Just come back to sc2gaf. At least we troll intelligently.
I would, but I have yet to make the super giant post in the SCII thread about why I left. Still needs a month or so to boil.

Both HoN-GAF and SCII-GAF have their shit sides. The only reason I stick to HoN-GAF is because I think HoN is a more fun game for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mmmm.

I feel like I've plateaued. I'm not getting any better, at least not noticeably. I ward more, but it's kind of a mindless ward spam instead of the intricate mind games kage plays. My last hitting skills have actually gone down and my overall judgement is often as good as it is bad. Plus I'm just not paying enough attention. I've noticed that there were at least 5-6 times tonight I could've saved someone/killed someone if I was more on the ball. Luckily no one noticed, so no one chewed me out. I still can't carry, nor can I juke. I feel like I throw a little bit every game, not the kind that warrants someone yelling "BIG THROWS", but sort of drawn out over time and it's really detrimental to my team.

Maybe I'm just not playing enough these days. Dota 2 needs to come out faster.

Kapura

Banned
any learning cuve has diminishing returns. If you want to continue to improve, watch replays streams and casts of pros. see what they do and figure out why they do it. Once you learn the game, you have to learn the metagame which gets super subtle super fast.

NukeDukem

Banned
Haly, you need a training montage. YOu can do some jump rope, run up stairs, eat eggs, and train your last hitting day in and day out till you become World Champ Of HoN !

bzm

NukeDukem said:
Haly, you need a training montage. YOu can do some jump rope, run up stairs, eat eggs, and train your last hitting day in and day out till you become World Champ Of HoN !
Final boss: Loki_Demi?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Halycon said:
Mmmm.

I feel like I've plateaued. I'm not getting any better, at least not noticeably. I ward more, but it's kind of a mindless ward spam instead of the intricate mind games kage plays. My last hitting skills have actually gone down and my overall judgement is often as good as it is bad. Plus I'm just not paying enough attention. I've noticed that there were at least 5-6 times tonight I could've saved someone/killed someone if I was more on the ball. Luckily no one noticed, so no one chewed me out. I still can't carry, nor can I juke. I feel like I throw a little bit every game, not the kind that warrants someone yelling "BIG THROWS", but sort of drawn out over time and it's really detrimental to my team.

Most of us are 1700 players (we got a few 1800s now), but even then, everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure every single person could have made a better decision 5-10 times a game. Last hitting is straight up practice (especially with specific heroes). But, like any competitive sport, all of us have a skill cap (I think HoN is more of what I'd call a "soft cap"--there's still room to improve, but eventually you'll settle into your bracket). Most of the 1900+ players were probably noobs for two weeks, but then skyrocketed--some people just have that gaming sense (or in any sport/competitive event, that "intuition"). Look at loki/thor, both twin brothers, both 1900. Coincidence?

bzm

Anbokr said:
Most of us are 1700 players (we got a few 1800s now), but even then, everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure every single person could have made a better decision 5-10 times a game. Last hitting is straight up practice (especially with specific heroes). But, like any competitive sport, all of us have a skill cap (I think HoN is more of what I'd call a "soft cap"--there's still room to improve, but eventually you'll settle into your bracket). Most of the 1900+ players were probably noobs for two weeks, but then skyrocketed--some people just have that gaming sense (or in any sport/competitive event, that "intuition"). Look at loki/thor, both twin brothers, both 1900. Coincidence?
no love for kag?

Haly

NukeDukem said:
ib272K7Kpkz3mO.png

Look at loki/thor, both twin brothers, both 1900. Coincidence?
Kage has four bros. They learned the game together. So it's not a coincidence actually, it's more like DESTINY.

Halycon said:
Mmmm.

It's normal to plateau, this will happen to you in any skill based game. In my experience though, every plateau is normally followed by a sharp improvement in skill, but getting past it is really painful.

Most of the 1900+ players were probably noobs for two weeks, but then skyrocketed--some people just have that gaming sense (or in any sport/competitive event, that "intuition"). Look at loki/thor, both twin brothers, both 1900. Coincidence?
REALLY doubt this is true; I recall back in the beta, the vast majority of pro players had 3000+ games played on their regular accounts.

Meeru said:
:D

Being very pessimistic here, but I'm strongly doubting Dota 2 will be this week, looking at Luminous's casting of his Dota 2 beta, there's still a bunch of stuff that needs to be fixed. Names all messed up, moonwalking Furion. But at least there's some new things like water ripples and splash on water, buildings destroying correctly.

Whenever it does come out though, I'm only going to play whenever my wife goes to school or her clinical. Which means Thursday 6am to 6pm and Wednesday 12pm to 3pm.

Moonwalking furion is no big deal, animation bugs like that happen randomly in games all the time even released, seen sliding units in tf2 and SC2 recently.

Sanjay

Halycon said:
Kage has four bros. They learned the game together. So it's not a coincidence actually, it's more like DESTINY.

5 Brothers? thought they had a team of brothers. Pub stomping Bro's making people mad.

Haly

Kage is the fifth bro so yes, bro team.

IceMarker

NukeDukem

Banned
MrMister said:
After a bit of work and experimenting I made my own dance floor sound mod, I present to you a GAF exclusive made by me: Metal Dance Floor!
Just download and drag and drop into the C:/Program Files (x86)/Heroes of Newerth/game/ folder. Should work as soon as you load up and play in a game with Rhapsody!

awesomebird.jpg

Now I finally have a reason to play rhapsody.

Dreavus

You know I thought disables were king in 3v3, but we just did a ridiculous push strat with Torturer, Balphagore, and Keeper of the Forest. We double raxed them in about 10 minutes. They couldn't even concede to the mega creeps trashing their base.

kagete

Halycon said:
Mmmm.

Haly, i think you played great. From a spectator's perspective, I can see that when you keep at least one ward up at all times it's of great benefit to your team, even more when you have 2-3 up at key points. I haven't ward-spammed an IH game for almost 2 months now, and I think people on either team have more fun that way too. There's no pressure on you to play as a warder, even if you are playing rhapsody. Heck, you can play a carry like silhouette and still ward if you want to when we IH.

If anything, when DOTA2 comes out I think GAF players will be more casual as a whole, since we'll be seeing a lot of new players join in.

Regarding playing with my brothers, we have only ever played as a complete team of 5 only 3 or 4 times in our entire lives, which are some of my fondest memories. I was introduced to DOTA by friends in college after drinking and we'd play in a LAN cafe until 3 AM just seeing how high we could get Pudge's strength to go up (I think it was 255). I didn't take it seriously until I started working in IT in 2005 where everyone seemed to have some knowledge of DOTA or Angel Arena or Mauls or TDs. I never even thought that my brothers played videogames that weren't MMOs because we all lived in separate places and they were sharing a single gaming PC. It turns out that we all fell into playing DOTA separately and got sucked into it in varying degrees. Our oldest brother discovered DOTA in lawschool, which is why he hasn't graduated to this day. He would obsess over playing one hero over and over again. Playing CM/glacius for 1 week straight (going midas first) or playing Broodmother for 6 months straight. Our 3rd oldest brother (I'm 2nd) only played DOTA/HON casually but he surprised me by not being a baddie and being capable of actually farming well with lycan/treant. The twins really surprised me because I always thought that they were just little brats (they're 8 years younger than me after all) and couldn't possibly be better than me because I was already playing DOTA for years before my first game with them. The very first game I played with the twins, I think Thor went SS and it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

For a while I was really challenged and wanted to get on the same level as loki/thor but I've since stopped trying. Some people are natural FPS players, and some people are natural DOTA players like those two. I even had a phase were I was scared to play any game without one of them to carry me :| Playing with them really spoiled me and artificially inflated my PSR/MMR to unrealistic levels relative to my actual skills. In the past few months I think im actualyl getting better but I've long since given up the tryhard MMR ratrace.

Sanjay

kagete said:
If anything, when DOTA2 comes out I think GAF players will be more casual as a whole, since we'll be seeing a lot of new players join in.

LOL. So wrong. The support and carry going to have clashes of rage against each other, no gold for assist is going to be a rage inducing saga.

kagete said:
Playing glacius for 1 week straight (going midas first).

Hm....interesting.

bzm

kagete said:
I haven't ward-spammed an IH game for almost 2 months now, and I think people on either team have more fun that way too.
tbh i liked ultrasupport kag way more. I learned a lot about support from you, sad that you dont like playing it anymore =\
kagete said:
For a while I was really challenged and wanted to get on the same level as loki/thor but I've since stopped trying. Some people are natural FPS players, and some people are natural DOTA players like those two. I even had a phase were I was scared to play any game without one of them to carry me :| Playing with them really spoiled me and artificially inflated my PSR/MMR to unrealistic levels relative to my actual skills. In the past few months I think im actualyl getting better but I've long since given up the tryhard MMR ratrace.
stop it

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Pretty sure starGAF is just a ghost town where people worship ponies and panda. AND people watching tournaments.

More IH salt? Srs? You guys need 5 Star Midwars General Procarbine leading the troops to victory.

Actually kag, that explains why IH have been so much fun lately. Your wards are wonderful and all but...they turn games into a turtle fest.

TUSR

Banned
Procarbine said:
Pretty sure starGAF is just a ghost town where people worship ponies and panda. AND people watching tournaments.

More IH salt? Srs? You guys need 5 Star Midwars General Procarbine leading the troops to victory.
i havent played IH games since last weeks salt mine explosion.

Dahbomb

I really doubt these 1900+ players who started playing HON 2 weeks prior and got that good without A) experience in similar games like DOTA B) using a previous account with 3000+ games aka "smurfs" C) Playing in a party of 5 together all the time with open communication among them all or D) got extremely lucky with their teammates/opponents for 20+ games.

Today I played a No Stats Pub game No PSR limit and I went against someone with 700 PSR (probably the lowest I have seen). I expected a feeder but the dude played the best on his team.

kagete

bzm said:
tbh i liked ultrasupport kag way more. I learned a lot about support from you, sad that you dont like playing it anymore =\

I still do it every once in a while when in a tryhard TMM, but I definitely won't do it in an IH again anytime soon (unless Sanjay insists on jungling again, in which case I will ward our own jungle to force him to stay in the damn lane).

Yesterday I succesfully went mid Slither (vs. a TB) in a tryhard game with astro and Thor, felt so good :D.

procarbine said:

I really haven't seen you go mid in ages. Besides, everyone knows kagete4 is the new middle lane master

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Dahbomb said:
I really doubt these 1900+ players who started playing HON 2 weeks prior and got that good without A) experience in similar games like DOTA B) using a previous account with 3000+ games aka "smurfs" C) Playing in a party of 5 together all the time with open communication among them all or D) got extremely lucky with their teammates/opponents for 20+ games.

Yeah, you need practice; it was more of an exaggeration (Of course a football player needs to practice hundreds of hours a week, but his natural talent got him to that point). My point was like kag said--some guys are just natural RTS players, natural FPS players, and natural DOTA players. The "instinct" is built in.

jasonng

Procarbine said:

Panda unfortunately isn't our best zerg. I wouldn't say sc2gaf is dying, more like we're getting a rotation of new members to our community. While I get why you're green about us having tournaments to watch and spectate
because you guys don't :)
, we're a pretty tight knitted group of folks who are coaching each other and helping one another get better. Who knows, maybe we'll have a legitimate Team Gaf eventually.

kagete

jasonng said:
Panda unfortunately isn't our best zerg. I wouldn't say sc2gaf is dying, more like we're getting a rotation of new members to our community. While I get why you're green about us having tournaments to watch and spectate
because you guys don't :)
, we're a pretty tight knitted group of folks who are coaching each other and helping one another get better. Who knows, maybe we'll have a legitimate Team Gaf eventually.

Hmm I seriously doubt HoNGAF is jelly of any other GAF community. There is some pseudo-elitism (suede-oh?) with regards to LOL but in reality half of us also play that game and enjoy it. Even if you don't actually play HON (like Tomat) you can jump in and hang out with us, whether we're watching a silly $500 HON tourney or Catherine stream, or talking about music or yoyos.

We're already big enough to have our own league with 3 teams of 8-10 players each and we've only grown in size since then. For a pretty hardcore game I think we've meshed pretty well for the most part.

Kapura

Banned
yeah, you don't even have to like hon to like hongaf. We play isketch and just talk about random shit. Honestly, the only two tenets of hongaf are 1: Mad and 2: Wendy's. Everything else is ancillary.

jasonng

kagete said:
Hmm I seriously doubt HoNGAF is jelly of any other GAF community. There is some pseudo-elitism (suede-oh?) with regards to LOL but in reality half of us also play that game and enjoy it. Even if you don't actually play HON (like Tomat) you can jump in and hang out with us, whether we're watching a silly $500 HON tourney or Catherine stream, or talking about music or yoyos.

We're already big enough to have our own league with 3 teams of 8-10 players each and we've only grown in size since then. For a pretty hardcore game I think we've meshed pretty well for the most part.
Stop trying to rationalize things and let our communities have beef, goddammit. It's bad enough you guys clog the mumble server whenever you guys have your IH tournaments. Personally I'm still bitter about losing our best terran to you guys (or perhaps we already lost him when his wife set a curfew on his game time?). Oddly enough though, we may see our communities merge when DOTA2 comes out. Hell maybe even Diablo 3.

You can keep MrMr by the way.

Meeru

Banned
jasonng said:
Stop trying to rationalize things and let our communities have beef, goddammit. It's bad enough you guys clog the mumble server whenever you guys have your IH tournaments. Personally I'm still bitter about losing our best terran to you guys (or perhaps we already lost him when his wife set a curfew on his game time?).
You are referring to me? I'm touched.

Conceptor

kagete said:
'The Bro Destiny'

That was pretty cool Kag, I've always wondered about that. I can understand why you don't ward in IH games anymore, but like bzm said, I do learn a lot from watching you play pro-support.

kagete

jasonng said:
Stop trying to rationalize things and let our communities have beef, goddammit. It's bad enough you guys clog the mumble server whenever you guys have your IH tournaments. Personally I'm still bitter about losing our best terran to you guys (or perhaps we already lost him when his wife set a curfew on his game time?). Oddly enough though, we may see our communities merge when DOTA2 comes out. Hell maybe even Diablo 3.

You can keep MrMr by the way.

Just curious but would SC2 players actually have fun playing 2v2 or 3v3 with both teams in the same Mumble channel? HON is very competitive but the greatest moments usually unfold when everyone is talking trash to each other and the unexpected happens ingame.

MrMr is certainly different. He's HoNGAF's prodigal son, passionate but not pliant. I have zero complaints from playing TMM games with him but somehow the banter in IHs really gets under his skin.

Haly

I can't be bothered to learn how to script IRC bots.

Also we have a ton of CS nerds.

kagete

Delirium could probably do it. Of course, most people in IT value their free-time so much that doing extra coding work on the side might not be their definition of relaxing.

Top Bottom