• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
HoNGAF backing out before the date of the grudge match is even decided?

Artanisix

Just got home from making peanut butter cup cheesecake. Really glad you guys came out and played Dota2 tonight! Was fucking awesome from what I saw, the games were definitely a step up from the usual inhouse levels. I hope you guys had fun, I'm really looking forward to more games with everyone. Heard Dragon Knight ended up stomping everyone -- confirm/deny?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
HoNGAF backing out before the date of the grudge match is even decided?

Why don't they come play HoN ;)? But let's be real--the only players probably at their HoN level right now are swag and loki (swag because he played a lot of dota, loki because he is loki, maybe pro and bzm to a lesser extent).

Just got home from making peanut butter cup cheesecake. Really glad you guys came out and played Dota2 tonight! Was fucking awesome from what I saw, the games were definitely a step up from the usual inhouse levels. I hope you guys had fun, I'm really looking forward to more games with everyone. Heard Dragon Knight ended up stomping everyone -- confirm/deny?

Not really. Specced the whole thing; pro had a team that just fed the entire game, and pillowknight completely carried hellbourne with 24/7 map control, ganks, wards, counter-wards, 20+ assists and overall big witch plays. DK just dragged an already won game out by underfarming and going vanguard/maelstrom -_-.

bzm

Why don't they come play HoN ;)? But let's be real--the only players probably at their HoN level right now are swag and loki (swag because he played a lot of dota, loki because he is loki, maybe pro and bzm to a lesser extent).

wot? i still dont know wtf half the heroes do. im garb at dota bro

Insured

Either way, I notice when HONgaf DOES play Dota 2, they isolate themselves from the rest of GAF, and for the most part, they never participate in inhouses. Why is this? I don't understand. If you guys want to all be in the same party, do it. Hell, I encourage premade teams in inhouses (much to the dismay of low/mid-tier gaf). Neki, bzm, Procarbine, Kagete, Anbokr, Kapura, Tomat, whatever, feel free to all stay on the same team in an inhouse. Stick together. Make it HONgaf versus the rest of gaf, I don't care. I don't buy the complaint that there are too many new players, you're a part of the problem by being a vet and actively avoiding inhouses. We have enough decent players to get some seriously good games going. Swag vs Milk captain's mode inhouse games were an alright start, but we can do much, much better.
Somehow I couldn't manage to catch an inhouse live a few days ago, I tried to wait around and tab back into the game for two-ish hours after an announcement in the steam group, and all I saw on mumble were hongaf people playing separately from the inhouse. This was WHILE an inhouse was supposedly going on. People don't use mumble for dota2 inhouses? How am I supposed to know when exactly to log on and be ready?

Oh well. I hope I can catch people better once I get home, on my good computer and can play some proper HoN (and now Dota 2) again, it's been a while. Seems like this thread gave it a good start, let's hope "the isolated HoN people" show up again, I will be contributing starting sometime next week.

kagete

Insured playing Dota2 will be 30 minutes of jungle hooligans. He's going to come out of the jungle with a 15 minute sheepstick and buyback money. Creep pulling and stacking in dota2 is sooooo easy. Corpses don't even block respawns so you don't even really need to stack early game.

olbligatory: Insured intro music

Also, thor/loki are still jokes in dota2. When loki logged in thor's account on his shit laptop connected to my TV he couldn't hide that pro-tier 50% win rate in dota2. I have 40 more wins than him with less losses to boot. Maybe I should charge them for rent and dota2 lessons whenever they come over. Meanwhile they're slumming it in WOW begging GAFfers for 5k gold and calling me up begging me to tank Deathwing for them. Real Talk

Insured

Insured playing Dota2 will be 30 minutes of jungle hooligans. He's going to come out of the jungle with a 15 minute sheepstick and buyback money. Creep pulling and stacking in dota2 is sooooo easy. Corpses don't even block respawns so you don't even really need to stack early game.
If you mean 30 minute games, or under 30 minute stomps then yes, for sure! Chen is infinitely superior in dota and doesn't have 30 hard counters to watch out for like in HoN, and then there's enchantress which is just as amazing as I remember it :3

P.S. I do a lot more than just jungle, seriously. Sometimes :(

IceMarker

Also, thor/loki are still jokes in dota2. When loki logged in thor's account on his shit laptop connected to my TV he couldn't hide that pro-tier 50% win rate in dota2. I have 40 more wins than him with less losses to boot. Maybe I should charge them for rent and dota2 lessons whenever they come over. Meanwhile they're slumming it in WOW begging GAFfers for 5k gold and calling me up begging me to tank Deathwing for them. Real Talk
Kagete carrying his brothers IRL

If you mean 30 minute games, or under 30 minute stomps then yes, for sure! Chen is infinitely superior in dota and doesn't have 30 hard counters to watch out for like in HoN, and then there's enchantress which is just as amazing as I remember it :3

P.S. I do a lot more than just jungle, seriously. Sometimes :(

I like it when you play Tremble.

Card Boy

Banned
I got my first 3 day suspension for rage spamming wards in base. After my team fed 20-0

What do you expect when the team picked all Melee carries after i first picked 1.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Pro, as much as he hates DOTA 2, is as good at it as he is at HoN.

His "I'm going to take my frustration out on GAFers" pudge is fucking terrifying.

mrbagdt

its still impossible to get a dota2 key unless you know somebody right(or you win it from some website)? ive been on that wishlist thing with steam ever since it was announced and ive never seen anything in my email, pretty much lost hope.

Artanisix

I already admit defeat to any games of HoN :p The pace of the game is fine, I just couldn't get into the aesthetics at all. Everything is too serious-looking for my tastes. Flux is badass though.

And all the more reason to play more Dota 2! That way when HoN-gaf versus Milk-gaf goes down, there'll be no excuses to fall back on!

Kapura

Banned
I already admit defeat to any games of HoN :p The pace of the game is fine, I just couldn't get into the aesthetics at all. Everything is too serious-looking for my tastes. Flux is badass though.

And all the more reason to play more Dota 2! That way when HoN-gaf versus Milk-gaf goes down, there'll be no excuses to fall back on!

are you still spouting "hon to srs looking" line? Jesus christ, dota2 is like 40 times more grimdark than hon. If you don't like the aesthetic, (you know, colour and flash) that's fine. But don't lie and say it's serious looking

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Milk-GAF? The fuck is that?

Also lone, 6 people who play HoN != GAF, son.

Artanisix

I guess serious isn't the right word, it's more of a dark humour-looking sort of game. I don't like that aesthetic at all.

And milk-gaf = all my friends who browse gaf and play dota but don't have an account or don't post, because dota2-gaf would be instant loss for the most part (outside of players like ksan, kazabi, xanthe, and a few others).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I guess serious isn't the right word, it's more of a dark humour-looking sort of game. I don't like that aesthetic at all.

And milk-gaf = all my friends who browse gaf and play dota but don't have an account or don't post, because dota2-gaf would be instant loss for the most part (outside of players like ksan, kazabi, xanthe, and a few others).

HoN's art style is very muddy in general, and not all that aesthetically pleasing. It's not a terrible looking game, but it's not a very good looking on either.

delirium

its still impossible to get a dota2 key unless you know somebody right(or you win it from some website)? ive been on that wishlist thing with steam ever since it was announced and ive never seen anything in my email, pretty much lost hope.
Should have said something earlier. I got my keys months ago (Dota 2 still not installed), but I traded away my keys a week ago.

Swag

Delirium I presented the HoN-GAF thing you made for a class I had, I was too lazy to make something, but I got a A-, thanks for hooking it up.

Neki

Delirium I presented the HoN-GAF thing you made for a class I had, I was too lazy to make something, but I got a A-, thanks for hooking it up.

I really doubt that swag.

even you don't swindle that hard, and people would imagine you as too geeky, hurting your party swagging reputation.

IceMarker

Version 2.5.6
------------
- The current Free Heroes were changed. The current available list is as follows:
* Corrupted Disciple
* Moon Queen
* Hammerstorm
* Predator
* Night Hound
* Kraken
* Balphagore
* Behemoth
* Witch Slayer
* Chipper
* Slither
* Bombardier
* Demented Shaman
* Empath
* Voodoo Jester

- Groups with less than 1150 MMR should have an easier time finding a match now
- If a matchmaking game ends prematurely (whether due to an early remake or a player fails to connect) any groups who were in the match should now be able to re-queue and leave off at their previous wait time
* A message will be broadcast notifying the group when they have been re-placed into the queue
- Made a few changes to how point gain/losses are adjusted for team mates if there is a leaver on the team, it's now a bit more lenient in terms of what conditions must be true in order for the team with the disconnected player(s) to receive an adjustment
- Made some adjustments to match fidelity slider, selecting "Fairer Matches" should now do a bit better job at finding other groups close to the skill range of the group that selected this option
- The UI should now remember the match fidelity slider setting selected when creating a group and entering the queue
- Greatly improved how the game client re-connects to game servers
* Players should no longer have to type "Reconnect" on the console or re-login manually as the client will automatically try to reconnect to the game server. Players can still reconnect by re-logging or typing reconnect, but they will no longer have to do this, they can simply wait for the reconnect dialogue to display

- Gold gained from creeps and neutrals now normalizes over time
* An example: Two heroes farm a lane for 20 minutes getting equal creep kills. Before, their gold values would have differed greatly. Now, they will have nearly equal amounts of gold.

- Added a new Amun-Ra Alt Avatar: Phoenix Ra
:p

mrbagdt

Should have said something earlier. I got my keys months ago (Dota 2 still not installed), but I traded away my keys a week ago.

its no problem, id be more interested in playing just to appease my curiousity about how different it is than some huge urge to play the game. i dont mind waiting to play the game at the normal release time, but i have not heard anything about a date and its just annoying to keep checking with no updates.

IceMarker

6PECQ.png

kagete

Yeah that alt is some pre-teen level pandering shit.

BTW Meteorain, what space marine novels are good? Space Wolves is garbage but are Ultramarines good? Only looking for omnibuses if possible!

Guesong

- Gold gained from creeps and neutrals now normalizes over time
* An example: Two heroes farm a lane for 20 minutes getting equal creep kills. Before, their gold values would have differed greatly. Now, they will have nearly equal amounts of gold.

To be honest...I don't understand.

Was there a gold difference before? In the given exemple...WHY was there a difference? I never saw it to be honest...so....can someone illuminate me?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Guys you threw so fucking hard.

Honestly though, what did you expect? I rarely play DOTA 2 (let alone void/chronos, hate that hero), bzm dodged, haven't played with astro/haly/neki in months, we can't talk to haly on mumble, and we picked random heroes that we felt like playing. We definitely should've done better, but I mean we gave 3 guys that have played DOTA for years with prob. 1000+ games a run for their money in a abrupt pick up game was pretty exciting. I probably spent more time that game trying to find items/work the courier and reading my skills than I did farming.

Dahbomb

How do you deal with Gemini? And please don't say "put him in constant disable/stun" because that applies for every hero. I think I have lost 90% games playing against a competent Gemini.

And how does his ulti work? It seems like item effects aren't applied but I see people make Abyssal Skull for him.

IceMarker

And how does his ulti work? It seems like item effects aren't applied but I see people make Abyssal Skull for him.

Any items with auras (Abyssal Skull, Demonic Breastplate, etc.) only apply when they are near Fire and not Ice, but both Ice and Fire gain gold and experience for Gemini.

Sanjay

Honestly though, what did you expect? I rarely play DOTA 2 (let alone void/chronos, hate that hero), bzm dodged, haven't played with astro/haly/neki in months, we can't talk to haly on mumble, and we picked random heroes that we felt like playing. We definitely should've done better, but I mean we gave 3 guys that have played DOTA for years with prob. 1000+ games a run for their money in a abrupt pick up game was pretty exciting. I probably spent more time that game trying to find items/work the courier and reading my skills than I did farming.

I was like ok they got this game at round 15/20ish mark, Void free farming and its bokr. But then you stopped and started pushing as a team and lost most of the teamfights which stopped your farm. This is Dota 2! not HoN. Farm farm farm. Void is so way better in this compared to HoN his bash being percentage based and all. Get the Norse gods next time.

I'll stick to HoN kthxbai
but I'll be playing Diablo 3 Beta now since I'm in it for a while

WHAT, should have sold the key for megabucks! think about all dat gold coins you could have got with it.

bzm

How do you deal with Gemini? And please don't say "put him in constant disable/stun" because that applies for every hero. I think I have lost 90% games playing against a competent Gemini.

raw stats and auras go to the ulti. So people will stack bracers, dancing blades, grave locket, whatever. Anything with just stats on it benefits the ulti form (so does +hp,mp which is why a lot of lategame geminis go for 6skadi)

Phandy

I was like ok they got this game at round 15/20ish mark, Void free farming and its bokr. But then you stopped and started pushing as a team and lost most of the teamfights which stopped your farm. This is Dota 2! not HoN. Farm farm farm. Void is so way better in this compared to HoN his bash being percentage based and all. Get the Norse gods next time.

Side discussion;
I always thought that having percentage based skills was worse than a countdown system a la HoN. Your submitting yourself to chance, which obv can go either way, you can't game the system to make sure you have a stun ready within a few attacks.

Its the same reason Axe fucking sucks in Jungle compared to legionnaire. You cant stack big groups of mobs and get loads of guaranteed procs on whirling blade. You might get unlucky and just get raped with no procs, it happened last time I played Axe.

Top Bottom