• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
lol what is that.
Just one of the many awesome races you'll find in TERA.
tera_races-jpg.1453
Interesting tidbit: The loli catgirls created the panda race because they needed husbandos.

bzm

This is 100% exactly what you will get out of a PVP server in WoW these days as well. Bored people stomping on characters that have zero chance of ever fighting back, thus wasting both the time of the people trying to level and their own time while at it. People can be real idiots.

Awesome.
Eh, thats just lower level zones. When firelands was first released there was plenty of pvp there
They're adding rated warzones in January at some point according to a recent update from the devs.

To Swag:

I've been playing WoW since the beginning and have played every MMO since and SWTOR is the first MMO that I actually want to invest time into for alts + endgame. The only other MMO I hit max level on was Rift and this game is much much better than Rift. Also it may be worth noting that, according to my brother, end game heroics are really hard and require good coordination + skill. I don't think this is going to be the MMO casualfest at max level that WoW is. I'll let you know how it is when I get back from my cruise if you haven't bought it by then - currently level 49 (out of 50).
Now, I have two reasons to doubt this statement. First its bioware, so dont kid yourself its prolly going to be casualized out the ass and hamburger helper will probably write all the endgame content ggggg. Second, everyone always says shit will be hard when its first out because its new -- then you get a few shiny new pieces of gear, actually learn the instance (or if youre playing later, let everyone else do that part) and it isnt so hard anymore.

Edit: Korea needs to just stop making games and stick to playing starcraft... holy shit that looks awful

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Now, I have two reasons to doubt this statement. First its bioware, so dont kid yourself its prolly going to be casualized out the ass and hamburger helper will probably write all the endgame content ggggg. Second, everyone always says shit will be hard when its first out because its new -- then you get a few shiny new pieces of gear, actually learn the instance (or if youre playing later, let everyone else do that part) and it isnt so hard anymore.

It's not though. It's a texas studio of 100+ MMO veterans that got the bioware tag (probably to attract the KOTOR and SRPG fans). And your second statement... lol? Let's see... you get epic lootz, do the instance a lot, and learn it; it doesn't become hard. Yup, that's pretty logical, I mean who wants to play a game, where you are maxed out on loot, you've run an instance 10 times, and it still destroys you. I mean a chem test gets easier the more you study the material and practice in the field right? Sounds like a badly designed instance based on random unhealable crits and massive AOE damage with RNG up the ass.

Insured

Freakinchair said:
I don't think this is going to be the MMO casualfest at max level that WoW is.
Now, I have two reasons to doubt this statement. First its bioware, so dont kid yourself its prolly going to be casualized out the ass and hamburger helper will probably write all the endgame content ggggg. Second, everyone always says shit will be hard when its first out because its new -- then you get a few shiny new pieces of gear, actually learn the instance (or if youre playing later, let everyone else do that part) and it isnt so hard anymore.l
Also, "casualizing" makes money. Keep more customers happy and their character "progressing", receive more money from monthly fees; it would be foolish of Bioware not to give everyone something at max level.

bzm

Also, "casualizing" makes money. Keep more customers happy and their character "progressing", receive more money from monthly fees; it would be foolish of Bioware not to give everyone something at max level.

I didn't say its a bad idea anywhere, just that its going to happen

Guesong

Oh god it's a monstruosity. =/

Transformed form is pretty cool though.

As I said before, as much as I prefer HoN's pace, I play DoTA2 when I want to play a MOBA now. Why bother supporting $2 by playing their game when they treat their customers so awfully.

I was looking into playing this casually over the next few months before dota2 comes out to try and get back into the mindset, but I was wondering about how many matches it'll take to build up enough silver coins to start unlocking champions? I guess if I get into hon it seems dropping cash for the gold coins looks pretty inevitable, but I'd rather that came later rather than sooner..

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I was looking into playing this casually over the next few months before dota2 comes out to try and get back into the mindset, but I was wondering about how many matches it'll take to build up enough silver coins to start unlocking champions? I guess if I get into hon it seems dropping cash for the gold coins looks pretty inevitable, but I'd rather that came later rather than sooner..

It'll take about 15 games to unlock one of the cheap guys, 30 for the next tier, 50ish for one of the next, and probably 75-90 for the most expensive.

bzm

bokr pretty much answered your question but also the free pool is generally pretty good in the sense that its balanced (always has a couple heroes of each role, etc). So don't worry about it too much

Nome

So, gotta vent a bit about Artesia. Creatively, they took her in a completely different direction than I intended, as I gave very specific instructions for how to handle her art and lore.

I'm a huge Gundam fan (my avatar is the Zeon flag) and my favorite character has always been Char Aznable. His sister's name is Artesia, and both played integral roles in the original '79 Gundam series. So Artesia's name is a homage to that.

What I originally wanted was for her theme to be that of "long-lost lovers"; it's why I had a male version of her made--the EA avatar. She was supposed to be meek and mild-mannered, lonely, forlorn. Her ult would make her clasp her hands together and make a wish, summoning her dead lover back to aid her. Likewise, if you chose the male alt, he'd summon the normal female model for the ult. There was supposed to be a set of animations made for this, along with special death animations involving both models, etc. None of it happened, and instead they took her in a somewhat sinister direction, putting her on Hellbourne and giving her quite the nasty voice. The summoning of the lover was replaced with a staff.

Bah.

Kapura

Banned
So, gotta vent a bit about Artesia. Creatively, they took her in a completely different direction than I intended, as I gave very specific instructions for how to handle her art and lore.

I'm a huge Gundam fan (my avatar is the Zeon flag) and my favorite character has always been Char Aznable. His sister's name is Artesia, and both played integral roles in the original '79 Gundam series. So Artesia's name is a homage to that.

What I originally wanted was for her theme to be that of "long-lost lovers"; it's why I had a male version of her made--the EA avatar. She was supposed to be meek and mild-mannered, lonely, forlorn. Her ult would make her clasp her hands together and make a wish, summoning her dead lover back to aid her. Likewise, if you chose the male alt, he'd summon the normal female model for the ult. There was supposed to be a set of animations made for this, along with special death animations involving both models, etc. None of it happened, and instead they took her in a somewhat sinister direction, putting her on Hellbourne and giving her quite the nasty voice. The summoning of the lover was replaced with a staff.

Bah.

oh shit that sounds way more baller than post that shoots bullets.

Dreavus

Bah.

Dang, that's a shame. I saw someone talking on the HoN forums about the disconnect between her backstory and the way she "behaves". She's just a random sorceress, instead of having a little more character.

bzm

Bah.

haha i love how they do that.
guys
guys
give glacius some purple hands and toss him over to the hellbourne

Phandy

That sounds super shitty. Your idea sounded really good, would have been cool to have a nice spot of subtle story telling going on.

Sanjay

Bah.

It's because HoN is grimdark and your avatar is the Nazi flag :|

Guesong

Tbh when you said you were disappointed in the direction they took her Nome I thought you were talking about her skills or something.

In a game with boxing Kangoroos, Panda Monk, butterfly queens and mechasquirrels, I think the time to think and inject lore is long gone past. Aint much of an issue imho

haha i love how they do that.
guys
guys
give glacius some purple hands and toss him over to the hellbourne

"We're running out of room on the Legion side. Let's make Myrmidon a turncoat and put him on Hellbourne."

I don't mind the lore. Doesn't LoL have an entire section of each character devoted to lore?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
That's largely how I feel about HoN at this point. It's mechanics/gameplay are way more fun for me than DOTA 2, but it's devolved into ALL GOBLIN SHOP, ALL THE TIME. Every update is solely based on the goblin shop, it's their #1 priority. Cool, make some money and have a shop, but improve your game and put priority #1 as balance/gameplay improvement. Instead, we get reskinned creeps thrown out for a big HoN 2.5, and a slew of alt avatars that nobody cares about. I've seen zephyr, ra, monarch (gemini for 1-2) for about 4 months now, and frankly, I'm sick and tired of it. Nerf them to hell and make other heroes OP for all I care; I just want change to shake things up a bit.

Also the last few heroes have been utterly boring and garbage. There was a time (I think) where I looked forward to new hero releases, now I don't even pay attention to them; they're basically an after thought.

Guesong

I don't get all the flak HoNCast gets. I guess Breaky has a particular style that may displease some people, but I find him to be quite, quite entertaining as a caster.

Besides, he says they hold a monopoly, but isn't this partnership recent anyhow? Not like they had any other big site or casters to begin with.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Besides, he says they hold a monopoly, but isn't this partnership recent anyhow? Not like they had any other big site or casters to begin with.
HonCast has had place in the 'ad' spot on the official forums since late 2009.

Swag

I don't get all the flak HoNCast gets. I guess Breaky has a particular style that may displease some people, but I find him to be quite, quite entertaining as a caster.
Their good entertainment, but their ability to analyse matches is often questionable. Lots of occassaions where the insight they provide is just wrong, or stupid, for example that magmus comment Phil made during the NASL finals weekend.
guesong said:
ScoutCast, Gamereplays, Zaku I think were some of the other popular ones, iirc there was that whole HoNcast vs AMXzaku thing.

Phandy

Pretty much what Bokr said.
HoN is still a great game for me, and I think it plays nicer/better/smoother than dota2. And they've made mostly good design decisions in moving the dota formula forward (so much stuff I miss in dota2). But its just getting buried under so much crap. Its all about new shit and not about fixing and perfecting whats there.

I agree that HoN is getting stale. New heroes aren't even that interesting to play anymore; I used to be eager to try out a new hero once it was off EA. I still haven't played Gemini or Lord Salforis and frankly I don't really care about them. Their Christmas promotion was disappointing (LoL gave everyone free RP) though I suppose every hero for $10 wasn't bad.

At this point I don't even know if HoN 3.0 will save it/bring players back.

IceMarker

Maliken acts just like his in-game counter parts, a king with a rich background who slowly became super fucking evil.

Also, even if all 3 top games have their problems, even S2 at their lowest points still have a better engine to play with. DotA 2 is too slow and LoL is LOL.

"We're running out of room on the Legion side. Let's make Myrmidon a turncoat and put him on Hellbourne."

I don't mind the lore. Doesn't LoL have an entire section of each character devoted to lore?
Hover above any hero icon and look at the right column for the heroes lore description.

Card Boy

Banned

Maliken. This man is the poison that has killed HoN and ruined something that really could have been great. Nothing is changed in HoN without Maliken being okay with it and that's probably the worst thing in the world. It's a wonder HoN isn't worse off than it is right now and that's purely because people were able to talk him out of some really horrible ideas. He's a poor decision maker with a temper and he loves to kick down the doors of his employees who are doing their damnedest to create great things and instead have them do something to make him more money. Unfortunately, S2 wouldn't exist without him, since he's the man funding it all from the beginning, and also now pocketing the profits. You'd probably think it a great thing to be working at S2 but Maliken is probably the only one getting anything decent from HoN's success.

gzaYS.jpg

S5SYw.jpg

6SFUV.jpg

Gfh8q.jpg

IceMarker

Hey why can't I join you guys in TMM?

If you're trying to play some "high tier" games why don't you actually invite me and let me prove to you I'm not "low tier"?

No dodging.

Top Bottom