• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Meeru

Banned
Right now I'm just reading over the Dota heroes that I haven't seen just to get ready for Dota 2..Ancient Apparition for one.

Dreavus

I don't really understand why he has so many skills. It's starting to feel like Ra all over again where everything is so versatile.

Flux had the push/pull mechanic that he could swap between for "double" the skills, but they were basically the same skills with variable properties. This guy just has everything; his "swap" button gives him completely new abilities and even a new auto attack. Stun, crazy IAS bonus for stuff like savage mace, long attack range, a nice AoE for pushing, a GLOBAL shield, among even MORE abilities. It's hard to judge without playing him in game but is he bad at ANYTHING other than maybe having low HP?

EDIT: Oh wait he can lower armor and slow as well... and one of his skills scales with %, right? "Master of arms" indeed!

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Dreavus said:
I don't really understand why he has so many skills. It's starting to feel like Ra all over again where everything is so versatile.

Flux had the push/pull mechanic that he could swap between for "double" the skills, but they were basically the same skills with variable properties. This guy just has everything; his "swap" button gives him completely new abilities and even a new auto attack. Stun, crazy IAS bonus for stuff like savage mace, long attack range, a nice AoE for pushing, a GLOBAL shield, among even MORE abilities. It's hard to judge without playing him in game but is he bad at ANYTHING other than maybe having low HP?

1. Make crazy OP hero
2. Make him early access
3. ????
4. profit

Swag

Dreavus said:

EDIT: Oh wait he can lower armor and slow as well... and one of his skills scales with %, right? "Master of arms" indeed!
No reason to pick any other carry incoming, 100% ban etc etc. Is there any other agility carry with as much utility? Can't think of any off the top of my head, maybe Chronos, but his comes with a heavy price.

Meeru

Banned
NukeDukem said:
Chronos, 1# botched port.

where can i find info on the new heroes being implemented in dota2?
Well we don't know which heroes will be moving over to Dota 2 (we do know a couple based from the leaked patch notes), but just go to playdota.com and click on heroes.

dommynick

i'm back. should be playing more regularly like i used to. honstats.org is back up, i dig the expanded stats they're tracking. 87.5% wins on zeus, too stronk.

just started HoN for the first time tonight, i like the look of this game a lot better than league of legends, but i get confused on what im attacking since they seem the same to me.

also i dont know who to pick! but for some reason i like using ranged heroes here compared to LoL.

NukeDukem

Banned
honstats.org

mfw i check my apm stats

1272746206140.jpg

Phandy

I can see it now - insanely OP hero gets paid early access and then gets INSANE nerf after 30 days.

If this happens, there is no way its coincidence. I know s2 love to make new OP carry heroes, but they should have learned by now.

kagete

That new hero just feels so over-engineered. The push back stun and frenzied attackspeed would have been enough to define the hero in my opinion. Having an either/or global ultimate and the weapon toggle that's already skilled from level 1 just pushes him over the top.

The hero has a great voice over, but a generic space marine look :| This hero will be fun to play because it will be OP. Any generic agi-carry build will still apply to him and I don't seem to feel how he can be be realistically balanced. And no, just giving him low HP doesn't "balance" a hero. Panda, chipper, and myrmidon feel balanced and are rewarding because they're skill based and have good risk/reward. This and emerald warden don't.

Meeru

Banned
kagete said:
That new hero just feels so over-engineered. The push back stun and frenzied attackspeed would have been enough to define the hero in my opinion. Having an either/or global ultimate and the weapon toggle that's already skilled from level 1 just pushes him over the top.

The hero has a great voice over, but a generic space marine look :| This hero will be fun to play because it will be OP. Any generic agi-carry build will still apply to him and I don't seem to feel how he can be be realistically balanced. And no, just giving him low HP doesn't "balance" a hero. Panda, chipper, and myrmidon feel balanced and are rewarding because they're skill based and have good risk/reward. This and emerald warden don't.
I'm just gonna see how fast he can attack

Sanjay

Sanjay

Meeru said:
Well loki is no slouch either, I would say he's best of gaf.

By far the best player on gaf yeah but with Glacius against SS mid? lol. I think MrMister would have done better.

kagete

Sanjay said:
By far the best player on gaf yeah but with Glacius against SS mid? lol. I think MrMister would have done better.

The way lokidemi explained it to me is that SS is one of the best because the game is played 5v5. In a controlled 1v1 environment, that single skill point in glacius' 2 second stun is killer though.

Meeru

Banned
kagete said:
The way lokidemi explained it to me is that SS is one of the best because the game is played 5v5. In a controlled 1v1 environment, that single skill point in glacius' 2 second stun is killer though.
Well if that is true, shouldn't we ve seeeing more glacius mid against ss in competitive games?

kagete

You do have to admit, he did tryhard the hell out of that mid matchup. Level 1 ledge ward, rune checking. He gave PuppetYuber the full package. Everyone on mumble was saying streetball rules apply : "no rules, as long as you style on your opponent".

Props to them both though, they put on a good show for that 10 minute game. Of course
puppetpubes had to DC in the middle of the next IH right after that game...

kagete

Meeru said:
Well if that is true, shouldn't we ve seeeing more glacius mid against ss in competitive games?

In a 5v5? A farmed SS has more impact than a farmed glacius. In dota it actually does happen, because the focus on supporting is much less emphasized. Mid crystalmaiden farming an early dagger for blink ults is not uncommon at the pubstomp level. Competitively? I highly doubt it

Nome

Dreavus said:

Ra is... versatile? He's one of the worst heroes in the game right now.

And yes, MoA is bad at plenty of things. For one, his test game win percentage is probably amongst the lowest. Second, "jack of all trades, master of none".

And honestly, I don't see why so many people would want an Invoker port but still make complaints like how some of our heroes have "everything" (when they don't). He's also not a complicated hero to play at all. He's Flint Beastwood easy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sanjay said:
LOL, That SS was Trash losing mid to a Glacius. Even my SS, aka the worst on gaf would not do as badly.
Quoted for posterity.

Sanjay as SS vs Loki as Glace. Tonight. Loser plays 10 games of League.

bzm

Halycon said:
Loser plays 10 games of League.
harsh
edit: I'm surprised at how many of you are all omgsslosttocm??? Glacius' second skill does a lot of damage early, and is a good disable. They slow aint half bad either. With a little overplay from ss or some runes to help, glacius has all the early kill power he needs on a squishy hero like ss, whereas ss cant do jack shit till he gets some points in hands

Sanjay

Halycon said:
Quoted for posterity.

Sanjay as SS vs Loki as Glace. Tonight. Loser plays 10 games of League.

But I would just build with the purpose of not to die, and late game win :( and my SS build always takes skill 3 as I'm noob and need my -armor to last hit help. I would then man up and hit for hit with Glacius, man up unlike puppet.

bzm

Sanjay said:
But I would just build with the purpose of not to die, and late game win :( and my SS build always takes skill 3 as I'm noob and need my -armor to last hit help. I would then man up and hit for hit with Glacius, man up unlike puppet.
You do realize the +dmg from soulsteal and the, uh, huge nuke that is demon hands are much better for last hitting than the armor aura?
Also if you "man up" without having a decent chunk of +dmg from soulsteal or points in raze you're just going to make an ass of yourself

Sanjay

Damn I just got bodied by glass-man mid against puppet.

TWICE... :( man I thought SS had 600 range. Can't harass at all.

Keyouta

Here's a noob question: is there versus AI in HoN, and how easy/simple is it to get used to the game coming from LoL?

bzm

Keyouta said:
Here's a noob question: is there versus AI in HoN, and how easy/simple is it to get used to the game coming from LoL?
no vs ai
shouldnt be too bad but youre gonna have to accept youre going to eat shit your first couple of games

Keyouta

bzm said:
no vs ai
shouldnt be too bad but youre gonna have to accept youre going to eat shit your first couple of games

Alright, thanks. I was searching around and it didn't seem like there was an option, so I thought I should ask.

And, yeah, have played a few games with some friends and it takes a little getting used to the items and different characters and abilities. Along with other options LoL doesn't have.

Kapura

Banned
Nome dropping hints of another hero release this friday in general hon forums. Shit, by the time I'll be able to play again there will be as many heroes I don't know as in dota.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Nome said:
Ra is... versatile? He's one of the worst heroes in the game right now.

Wait.... what??? I can't even begin to count the games I've lost to a Ra that got shutdown early game but came out at the 25 minute mark and 1v5d our entire team. I know I've done that several times in tmm as well.

bzm

Anbokr said:
Wait.... what??? I can't even begin to count the games I've lost to a Ra that got shutdown early game but came out at the 25 minute mark and 1v5d our entire team. I know I've done that several times in tmm as well.
yeah ra def isnt balph/engi tier of bad

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm perfectly okay with Glace winning over SS. But the SS was losing in CK even before Glace started q-w'ing SS to oblivion.

bzm

Halycon said:
I'm perfectly okay with Glace winning over SS. But the SS was losing in CK even before Glace started q-w'ing SS to oblivion.
It's soulstealer, he hits for basically nothing early. If youre playing against a competent player youre not going to have any ck till you get some pts in raze

Sanjay

Halycon said:

You should have seen my SS, I died to ancients creeps.

I will up some videos, the Puppet vs Meeru SS mirror match was epic.

delirium

Guesong said:
Balphegore really that bad? =/

Dammit he's my favorite hero so far lol

Shows what I know
At the level where most of GAF plays at, hero tiers really don't matter. A good player will still dominate someone who's not on his level with a hero considered shit.

bzm

delirium said:
At the level where most of GAF plays at, hero tiers really don't matter. A good player will still dominate someone who's not on his level with a hero considered shit.
come @ me 1v1 balph bro

Top Bottom