• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Meteorain said:
UI is only bad when you don't know what you're looking for.

Stuff is fairly clearly labeled out.
I still don't really know where things are in categories, so I love that I can just type "mana regeneration" in the shop panel and things will show up.

Valygar

I've tried, several smurfs accounts. I hate that kind of people, they love screwing up someone else's fun.

The first game there were 2 smurfs in the opposite team, we lost very fast. In the 2nd one, there were 2 in our team and one in the enemy team, so I could try more things. But I don't really like the game, the fog of war is very close to the char, you can't zoom out properly, and so on.

And I don't want to play with smurfs for who knows how much time, so bye bye :(.

kagete

That's unfortunate to hear. If you don't have DOTA background, you're going to need a really passionate friend or group of buddies to keep you going for a hardcore game like this.

kagete said:
Haha don't let HON get to you. I have fun even playing heroes out of my comfort zone and getting piled on in IHs, it's no biggie. Save your rage for when someone cuts you in traffic or kicks your dog.

PK on every hero. Even Hag and Magebane.

delirium

Valygar said:
I've tried, several smurfs accounts. I hate that kind of people, they love screwing up someone else's fun.

The first game there were 2 smurfs in the opposite team, we lost very fast. In the 2nd one, there were 2 in our team and one in the enemy team, so I could try more things. But I don't really like the game, the fog of war is very close to the char, you can't zoom out properly, and so on.

And I don't want to play with smurfs for who knows how much time, so bye bye :(.
I don't understand this, when I tried playing LoL there were much more smurfs and leavers than my games in HoN.

Meeru

Banned
Valygar said:

how sad cuz dota fog is even worse

Valygar

delirium said:
I don't understand this, when I tried playing LoL there were much more smurfs and leavers than my games in HoN.

I don't know why, but when I started playing LoL I played only with my friends, and we only encountered a smurf in the enemy team like 1 out of 10 games. That was back in march, or something like that. But I guess now it should be worse than in HoN, and the worst was when the European server was crashing almost daily and a lot of people were playing on the US server with a smurf account.

I'll try a few more games, two is not enough to have a fair opinion about the game. Any recomendations for newbie-friendly champions?

Meeru

Banned
Valygar said:
I don't know why, but when I started playing LoL I played only with my friends, and we only encountered a smurf in the enemy team like 1 out of 10 games. That was back in march, or something like that. But I guess now it should be worse than in HoN, and the worst was when the European server was crashing almost daily and a lot of people were playing on the US server with a smurf account.

I'll try a few more games, two is not enough to have a fair opinion about the game. Any recomendations for newbie-friendly champions?
Play with gaffers. Don't play solo. Newbie friendly include plague rider

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh hey, sweet, I just got 500 gold coins for a referal. Any idea if there will be a half off gold sale on the future? 33% is nice, but that 50$ off one a month back net me something like 7 skins. Felt good.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Valygar said:

Join the "Clan NeoGAF" channel and play with some of us, or jump in our in house games at night (8pm+ EST) to play or just hang out and get some laughs in, we always have a good time.

Good heroes to start with are Plague Rider, Kraken, Witch Slayer, Armadon, and maybe Slither. In-game hero guides are a good place to start, but not the end-all guide to the hero. Don't be afraid to ask for advice. The biggest thing with new HoN players is to not judge the game too soon, because starting out the game is brutally hard without extensive dota experience. LoL only helps so much.

Sanja-claw

Guesong

No kidding, I bought the game last month and I still suck.

Just got called the shittiest player ever by a dude in my TMM.

Sat idle in the foutain for 30 minutes. Some people just don't concede. props to them

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hm, I'm going to assume it's some of the newer heroes, since they've had less balance work and quirkier mechanics.
Please for crying out loud have templar assassin by release
Lol meeru on suicide watch.

Sanjay

Meteorain said:
I wonder who's going to be the first to be irked by that word.....

You think that's bad, when I play Street fighter AE I get caught saying hero instead of character/player all the time. It's a curse.

Procarbine said:
Sanja-claw

Man I was so looking forward to go up against Maliken with my build that game.

Guesong said:
Just got called the shittiest player ever by a dude in my TMM.

People call my SS the shittiest they ever seen, but don't listen to them, keep picking SS!

delirium

Teknopathetic said:
As a noob, I think Thunderbringer is a pretty noob friendly champion.
He's easy to learn but very hard to do well with since he's very positional. If you don't position him right every team fight, you will die before anything happens.

Macattk15

Procarbine said:
Join the "Clan NeoGAF" channel and play with some of us, or jump in our in house games at night (8pm+ EST) to play or just hang out and get some laughs in, we always have a good time.

Lol. I don't know about that. I've seen quite a few ragers in the in-house games where they take it too seriously. Then again I haven't been in one in quite some time ... but still.

Guesong said:
Training?

More like harsh boot camp under the direction of a sadistic, psychopath officer.
:(

Come on the Mumble server a bit more. I will personally watch over you and coach everything you do. And I'm sure others will pitch in as well.

And try to not let the things people say get to you. People will say things, and even people who are worse than you will call you a noob and stuff. It's just the unfortunate side of HoN. If you can avoid it, don't play solo queue TMM, but instead join one of the GAF groups. I'm sure you'd learn a lot more and have a lot more fun if you did so.

FromTheFuture said:
:(

Come on the Mumble server a bit more. I will personally watch over you and coach everything you do. And I'm sure others will pitch in as well.

And try to not let the things people say get to you. People will say things, and even people who are worse than you will call you a noob and stuff. It's just the unfortunate side of HoN. If you can avoid it, don't play solo queue TMM, but instead join one of the GAF groups. I'm sure you'd learn a lot more and have a lot more fun if you did so.

Yeah, the GAF community is very nice and helpful for the most part :)

Just dont ask Alumnus (fromthefuture) how to counter Monkey King because he's bad at that.

Freakinchair said:

Just dont ask Alumnus (fromthefuture) how to counter Monkey King because he's bad at that.
Oh, I'm over that broken ass hero now. I can deal with him easy. If he's in my game and he's on the other team, I just quit. Problem solved!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Freakinchair said:

1Z6eO.jpg

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Jungling might be worth a shot if you're new, don't need to bother with last hitting and at lower levels people won't come and gank you.

I don't get the UI comments, especially when people have played the game twice and say it sucks, but don't say what is wrong with it.

I don't think Kraken is a noob-friendly hero. Placement of his ult takes some practice.

Jungling can be hard unless you're Tempest, Keeper, or Wildsoul. I've seen plenty of bad Legos and Preds die to neutrals. Also, don't ever pick a jungler when the other team has Blood Hunter.

Guesong

Lone_Prodigy said:
I don't think Kraken is a noob-friendly hero. Placement of his ult takes some practice.

Jungling can be hard unless you're Tempest, Keeper, or Wildsoul. I've seen plenty of bad Legos and Preds die to neutrals. Also, don't ever pick a jungler when the other team has Blood Hunter.

In my noobie opinion, jungle is easy but not simple. Also stressful.

Was having alot of trouble timing when to take on a creep stack, to stack properly and so earlier with Tempest ; fights themselves were easy but the whole process...like you KNOW you can be more efficient but that requires technique.

And stressful because dammit a gank on you is so easily done, especially when you buy wards and they get destroyed because enemy has eye or something and some dude keep telling you to buy wards and you're like DAMMIT I DID AND THERE'S NO POINT IN IT and you get railed and then you are fearful and jungle less and as such are not efficient and as such you get railed on even more.

Yeah I think I'll try to TMM with you guys alot more lol

bzm

Macattk15 said:
Lol. I don't know about that. I've seen quite a few ragers in the in-house games where they take it too seriously. Then again I haven't been in one in quite some time ... but still.
shoutouts to bzm

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dreavus said:
All I remember about him is that his ultimate was awkward as hell. Wasn't it more effective if their level was a factor of 6 or something like that?
That was just his nuke. It did 100/150/200/250 damage and 250 bonus damage if the other person's level was a factor of 6/5/4/3. Which lead to some pretty funny scenarios, where they'd level up and it just happened to be a factor of my LVL? Death and I blew them up, or if I leveled up and then put a point into LVL? Death and blew them up.

The best part, however, was Doom, which basically said "no, fuck your bullshit," to any one hero.

IceMarker

The MrMister HoN IH Curse: I win a game, I lose 3. In addition, I get to play horrible in those games.

The problem is that I hold myself to a high standard, yet I can never meet that standard, even if I do well and my team wins there's a good chance my brain is going "That was bad.", fuck my skills. I should be 1600 at least if I were to get back into TMM.

Valygar

Ikuu said:
Jungling might be worth a shot if you're new, don't need to bother with last hitting and at lower levels people won't come and gank you.

I don't get the UI comments, especially when people have played the game twice and say it sucks, but don't say what is wrong with it.

It's not intuitive, that's all. My main concern is the shop, the first time I tried to buy something I could not, because single click didnt work, double click didnt, and when I managed to do secondary click I didn't have enough money. I tried to look what were the secondary items to do the big one, and once again I couldn't.

Also I don't like the general UI because it's a bit done in baroque style. I like UI's to be very simple, not "beautiful" or something like that. But well, all these are concerns that once you get used to it you just don't care.

About the game, I'm going to give it a shot. Done 2 games with witch slayer, it was very bad but at least I knew more or less what was happening on screen. That you lose money if you die is not newbie-friendly at all, so I can't buy anything and I suck even more as the game goes on.

Styles

MrMister said:
The MrMister HoN IH Curse: I win a game, I lose 3. In addition, I get to play horrible in those games.

The problem is that I hold myself to a high standard, yet I can never meet that standard, even if I do well and my team wins there's a good chance my brain is going "That was bad.", fuck my skills. I should be 1600 at least if I were to get back into TMM.

I have been fortunate enough to have won 2 out of the 2 IH games I participated in. :D

Hojaho

Valygar said:
It's not intuitive, that's all. My main concern is the shop, the first time I tried to buy something I could not, because single click didnt work, double click didnt, and when I managed to do secondary click I didn't have enough money. I tried to look what were the secondary items to do the big one, and once again I couldn't.

Also I don't like the general UI because it's a bit done in baroque style. I like UI's to be very simple, not "beautiful" or something like that. But well, all these are concerns that once you get used to it you just don't care.

About the game, I'm going to give it a shot. Done 2 games with witch slayer, it was very bad but at least I knew more or less what was happening on screen. That you lose money if you die is not newbie-friendly at all, so I can't buy anything and I suck even more as the game goes on.

You could try Casual Mode if you don't want to lose money when dying. However I think CM gives bad habits. XD

IceMarker

I hate being bi-polar and raging like this on HoN, because I know you guys have to suffer my incessant rambling.

I'm lightening up more and more though...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I like the 'change' the early access. Now nets you the hero, plus a limited edition skin that is no longer available after EA. Much better than just a free early purchase. 250 coins also also cheaper than some alt avatars on their own.

Smart move.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Not much:

Version 2.1.2
-----------
- The current Free Heroes have changed. The current available list is:
* Wildsoul
* Emerald Warden
* Aluna
* Nomad
* Pandamonium
* Electrican
* Moraxus
* Tempest
* Myrmidon
* Dampeer
* Torturer
* Succubus
* Accursed
* Flux
* Hellbringer

- Purchasing Early Access to a hero now unlocks a Limited Edition Alt Avatar for that hero for free
* This Limited Edition Alt Avatar is only available while the hero is Early Access
* You can see what the Alt Avatar looks like in the Early Access part of the Hon Store
* All prior purchases of Monkey King will be given the new Alt Avatar automatically

- Hero picking screen expanded
* OMG HOW DID WE DO THAT? MAGIC!

- UI fixes to the HoN Store and game lobby
- Fixed some spec UI cornercase bugs
- New option that lets you switch between OpenGL and DirectX in options

== Items ==

- Abyssal Skull, Nome's Wisdom, and Refreshing Ornament can now be toggled between all and only heroes

== Heroes ==

- New Intelligence Hero: Rhapsody
- New Early Access Agility Hero: Master of Arms

- Added a new Premium Alt Avatar: Overseer Hellbringer
- Added a new Limited Edition Early Access Alt Avatar: Commander of Arms
- Added a new Limited Edition Early Access Alt Avatar: Jade Warrior

Drunken Master
- Fixes him playing animations while dead

Martyr
- Can now cast Hand in Hand on Magic Immune units

Monkey King
- Fixes to him hitting people who are Physical Immune

Parasite
- Tweak to Infest so it checks better for when he dies
- Fixed Infest giving gold and exp from allied units in cornercase situations

Tempest
- Tweak pets visuals

Guesong

So I can play Rhapsody RIGHT NOW?

AWWWW YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH I know who I'm picking in inhouses tonight. screw MoA.

Also, Tim Buckley's tweets confirms that Ctulhuphant is indeed the hero chosen by S2Games and is under development right now. Tanky initiator, he says.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Guesong said:
So I can play Rhapsody RIGHT NOW?

AWWWW YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH I know who I'm picking in inhouses tonight. screw MoA.

Also, Tim Buckley's tweets confirms that Ctulhuphant is indeed the hero chosen by S2Games and is under development right now. Tanky initiator, he says.

Cool, thats the one I was kind of hoping for.

As for Rhap and MoA: Tempted to buy MoA, not really sure why. Rhap seems neat, just gave her a try in a practice game. Minor complaint, but her hair looks really bad.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Guesong said:
In my noobie opinion, jungle is easy but not simple. Also stressful.
It's pretty easy with Wildsoul and I always forget to stack, and at lower levels people don't try all that much to come in and mess with you, just throw up some wards just to be safe. The only problem is with the person soloing, but aslong as they don't mess up that badly it's fine.

Most games with WS I end up with stupid farm compared to the rest, and then proceed to shit all over the other team.

Top Bottom