• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

IceMarker

bzm said:
Yo we can play whatever game we fucking want. We're not going to sit around in hon IH's listening to you bitch nonstop just because you set your night aside to play and are feeding.
Oh snap, reinforcing the 'treating me like shit' part from last page, just telling you guys we didn't have enough after you left

EDIT:
34NkW.jpg

Lyphen said:
MrMister is HoNGaf's Yoshichan, apparently.

You gotta listen to some reggae and relax, man.
At least I don't snap keyboards in half while jacking to MarineKing. ;o

Besides a few snaps I haven't gone off the deep end like last night, Mike & Ikes keep you calm as a mother fucker, and turn rage into depression.

Sanjay

MrMister said:
Oh snap, reinforcing the 'treating me like shit' part from last page, just telling you guys we didn't have enough after you left.

It almost feels that you like being told off or something, never there goes a game where I don't here from you spouting "I'm playing bad" "guys I keep dying, I'm so mad" "I'm going to sit in fountain" "lets CC" and everyone best tries to ignores it as no matter what we say it goes through deaf ears. But you keep harping on about it and then get a off the hand response this time from BMW, and your now like "Stop treating me like shit"

All the quotes above relates to this game.
2cwlf7k.png

Like MrMister you did your job. Highest assist kills check and fat carry Predator check. The soap drama you made sucked the living daylight out of Hon Gaf. We do IH to have fun and you sucked all the fun out with your melodrama for no reason and then you QQ and wonder why people called it a day for Hon.

But for guys, its cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

Sanjay said:
It almost feels that you like being told off or something, never there goes a game where I don't here from you spouting "I'm playing bad" "guys I keep dying, I'm so mad" "I'm going to sit in fountain" "lets CC" and everyone best tries to ignores it as no matter what we say it goes through deaf ears. But you keep harping on about it and then get a off the hand response this time from BMW, and your now like "Stop treating me like shit"

All the quotes above relates to this game.
2cwlf7k.png

Like MrMister you did your job. Highest assist kills check and fat carry Predator check. The soap drama you made sucked the living daylight out of Hon Gaf. We do IH to have fun and you sucked all the fun out with your melodrama for no reason and then you QQ and wonder why people called it a day for Hon.

But for guys, its cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A
Wait...173 apm? That's what happens when you watch chu's stream. His super speed/spamming is infectious.

Conceptor

C'mon guys, don't muck up the place like that. Talk it out on mumble or someshit when everyone's around so we can move past it as a group.

As far as the whole IH gaming stuff goes, I have to agree with FromTheFuture.. I enjoy them and I learn a lot from playing against all you higher skilled guys. If not from playing then from spectating. My only gripes with the IH games we do are when games get severely stacked/imba or when someone decides to throw/troll without so much as telling/indicating to his teammates that he intends to.

That being said, I hope I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind seeing stats turned on for IH games.. Would introduce a fairer way of balancing games out and would help normalize/quantify everyone's skill and/or skill gap. I remember everyone discussing it at some point and I'm just throwing it out there again.
it's not like we've got much longer and who even plays other games aside from TMM and IH?

Anyway blabbing aside, gotta say thanks to a bunch of you for the advice/tips you've given me thus far. Shoutouts to Haly, PK, Kag, Del, Alum, bzm, Pro, Anbokr, etc specifically. Hope when DOTA2 is out we still revisit this game every now and then for some laughs. I think HoN's too polished of a game to just throw away like that tbh, janky servers and heroes and all

IceMarker

Well, Sanjay, it doesn't help when about 3 of you in Mumble, after I say I'm making a conscious effort to not get mad last night, say your goal for the night is to make me 'salty'. And no matter what I do or say, being that this is the internet and can't see my body language and such, you will assume, even if I say I'm not 'salty', that I am 'salty'. It's becoming a vicious circle, and I'm ready to put it to a halt.

YypUU.gif

Conceptor said:
C'mon guys, don't muck up the place like that. Talk it out on mumble or someshit when everyone's around so we can move past it as a group.

As far as the whole IH gaming stuff goes, I have to agree with FromTheFuture.. I enjoy them and I learn a lot from playing against all you higher skilled guys. If not from playing then from spectating. My only gripes with the IH games we do are when games get severely stacked/imba or when someone decides to throw/troll without so much as telling/indicating to his teammates that he intends to.

That being said, I hope I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind seeing stats turned on for IH games.. Would introduce a fairer way of balancing games out and would help normalize/quantify everyone's skill and/or skill gap. I remember everyone discussing it at some point and I'm just throwing it out there again.
it's not like we've got much longer and who even plays other games aside from TMM and IH?

Anyway blabbing aside, gotta say thanks to a bunch of you for the advice/tips you've given me thus far. Shoutouts to Haly, PK, Kag, Del, Alum, bzm, Pro, Anbokr, etc specifically. Hope when DOTA2 is out we still revisit this game every now and then for some laughs. I think HoN's too polished of a game to just throw away like that tbh, janky servers and heroes and all
Yep, that'd be a good idea. Meeru might be inclined to try-hard non stop, but I think he already does that.

Meeru

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Yep, that'd be a good idea. Meeru might be inclined to try-hard non stop, but I think he already does that.
Always. but what does salty mean tbh o_o according to the internetz it means down to earth >_>

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Meeru said:
Always. but what does salty mean tbh o_o according to the internetz it means down to earth >_>

Salty means mad.

As for the stats, I don't mind, but getting bombarded by try-hards as a new player kind of sucks.

MrKnives

Is there actually a way to play against bots? I mean just me and my closest 3-4 bots against the evil bots.

I never played HoN or LoL but played a lot of Dota so thinking about getting Dota 2 and just want to remind myself how the game works.
And people said HoN > LoL in familiarity with Dota.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
MrKnives said:
Is there actually a way to play against bots? I mean just me and my closest 3-4 bots against the evil bots.

I never played HoN or LoL but played a lot of Dota so thinking about getting Dota 2 and just want to remind myself how the game works.
And people said HoN > LoL in familiarity with Dota.

Truth. There are mechanics present in HoN that are not in LoL.

Sadly no bot play though. You can fire up a Practice game once you have a verified account and play around.

Meteorain

Conceptor said:

Stop trying to fix the situation.

YOU SUCK, DON'T PLAY THE GAME!

Sanjay

Conceptor said:
My only gripes with the IH games we do are when games get severely stacked/imba

Your only gripe is with Anbokr's? go 1v1 mid against him then, Glacius vs Soulstealer round 3.

Conceptor said:
or when someone decides to throw/troll without so much as telling/indicating to his teammates that he intends to.

Sometwo you mean, Swift and Puppet.

Con Real talk
Conceptor said:
That being said, I hope I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind seeing stats turned on for IH games.. Would introduce a fairer way of balancing games out and would help normalize/quantify everyone's skill and/or skill gap.

Stats on as of now then, we will call this Act the American Stats Con Act. Anyone against the This American Stats Con Act? speak now or forever hold your peace.

Conceptor said:
Anyway blabbing aside, gotta say thanks to a bunch of you for the advice/tips you've given me thus far. Shoutouts to Haly, PK, Kag, Del, Alum, bmw, Pro, Anbokr, etc specifically.

Where am I! I'm going to pillow Rampage your ass come next IN.

MrMister said:
Well, Sanjay, it doesn't help when about 3 of you in Mumble, after I say I'm making a conscious effort to not get mad last night, say your goal for the night is to make me 'salty'.

What the hell else are we going to say? were on the other team, killing an enemy is a goal and it was not for the night it was for that game. Whats funny is it was a joke, as you would not stop going on and on about how mad you were getting or about to get.

MrMister said:
It's becoming a vicious circle, and I'm ready to put it to a halt.

What you really need to do is halt your constant emoting towards others about yourself when it comes to anything negative, the negativity you put on your self does not help your team and your self. Were not even the ones saying negative things about you, you rally your self up to the point.

What do we do? ignore your negative emotions? which is rude? say yes to everything which is also rude. I think if you stop this overall you will see more enjoyment out of the game.

I'm going to try to hold this to you and see how it plans out. I'm going to cut you off Mumble faster then Kanye who by the way also happens to look like our very own Swag might I say.

Swag

Sanjay said:
I'm going to try to hold this to you and see how it plans out. I'm going to cut you off Mumble faster then Kanye who by the way also happens to look like our very own Swag might I say.
17541_1273144628493_1226220160_30814186_2335441_n.jpg
vs

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
dommynick said:
YO. dota 2 invitational starts at 1 AM pacific. everyone pile onto mumble so we can all ape the stream! except meeru. traitor.

Hype approaching critical levels. NOT SLEEPING FOR 5 DAYS FUCK YEAH.

kagete

I'll be up from 2 to 4 AM to work on servers. Then up again at 630 AM for tech support.

The DOTA2 stream will be perfect for staying up!

Meeru

Banned
dommynick said:
YO. dota 2 invitational starts at 1 AM pacific. everyone pile onto mumble so we can all ape the stream! except meeru. traitor.
I quit hon for my wife :p Dont mention dota 2 to me, I'll figure something out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Meeru said:
On a positive note, me being with her more often is making her happier.
But it's making you less happy. So it's zero-sum at the moment.

I have about the same APM as Sanjay. And I don't use the arrow keys to move the camera.

Let's play Magicka sometime. I lag on 800x600, but it's all good.

Guesong

Feel kind of silly asking this in the HoN thread...but it's about a HoN feature in DotA2. Crucial for me and Puppet apparantly.

Does anyone know if DotA2 will support the rejoining of games after a disconnection? Someone tell me yes.

Though I suppose all that will be revealed starting tommorow. But still.

Haly

Guesong said:
Feel kind of silly asking this in the HoN thread...but it's about a HoN feature in DotA2. Crucial for me and Puppet apparantly.

Does anyone know if DotA2 will support the rejoining of games after a disconnection? Someone tell me yes.

Rejoining was mentioned by Icefrog as one of the top priority features.

Since the game is more or less "finished", the biggest change from DOTA to DOTA2 will be all these extra features like replays, livecasting support, streaming, reconnection, clan support, etc. That's what they're focusing their development time on, and there is no way in hell they'll ship it without reconnection.

kagete

Guesong said:

I'm 99% sure it will have one. Exactly how it will be implemented, we don't know.

kagete

Meeru said:
Dota 2 will have everything hon has, except better. Icefrog helped s2games after all

That would be ideal, but probably not at the start. Icefrog isn't some magical coder that created some fancy network load balancing, or designed server infrastructure. He is the intimate owner of the DOTA map and knows all its intricacies. S2 is a tech company with decent infrastructure and engineers but their scope is so much smaller. HON has 50k concurrent players at maximum (a year or so after initial beta) while Valve will probably be aiming for 5 million concurrent players in the same time frame. The stress and limitations on the databases will not be just 1000 times bigger, wherein scaling hardware 1000x times will solve the problem. The actual increase in complexity will be several orders of magnitude higher.

Do you honestly think Valve will open its DB for public queries on a player stats and match repository containing 5 million plus players and billion plus games? A lot of HON is capable of is possible only because of the smaller pool. I trust Valve will throw their best minds at it but don't expect magic and rainbows.

Kapura

Banned
I see what you're saying, kag, but it's not unprecedented for a large game to have robust statistics and access APIs. Specifically, Bungie.net supported some incredible online stats for Halos 2, 3, ODST, and Reach. If valve dedicated the resources to creating parity with the HoN stats servers, they could.

Neki

kagete said:
That would be ideal, but probably not at the start. Icefrog isn't some magical coder that created some fancy network load balancing, or designed server infrastructure. He is the intimate owner of the DOTA map and knows all its intricacies. S2 is a tech company with decent infrastructure and engineers but their scope is so much smaller. HON has 50k concurrent players at maximum (a year or so after initial beta) while Valve will probably be aiming for 5 million concurrent players in the same time frame. The stress and limitations on the databases will not be just 1000 times bigger, wherein scaling hardware 1000x times will solve the problem. The actual increase in complexity will be several orders of magnitude higher.

Do you honestly think Valve will open its DB for public queries on a player stats and match repository containing 5 million plus players and billion plus games? A lot of HON is capable of is possible only because of the smaller pool. I trust Valve will throw their best minds at it but don't expect magic and rainbows.

too much computer mumbo jumbo throw around kagete. we're just simple hon players. D:

Haly

Too many levelheaded expectations for me, let me fix it.

ALL 104 HEROES ORIGINAL HEROES WITH 25 NEW ONES.
5 MAPS
30 GAME MODES
HATS AWARDED FOR LADDER MATCHES
FULL MAP EDITOR AND SDK
ANTI-CHEATING/RAGING SOFTWARE
MAGIC
RAINBOWS

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Steam as a whole craps out when a theme TF2 update launches (back when peak concurrency was 20K). Imagine what'll happen with a game that has triple or more the amount of players online.

And replays. And stats tracking for millions of users.

Yikes.

Blackface

Banned
sorry for the huge screenshot but

5l8Df.jpg

anyone know wtf is happening? I can't move, I can't use my keyboard. Once every two minutes it allows me to click to move, then it doesn't work again. It is also stuck on this loading players shit.

This has happened to me every game I have tried to play so far.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Blackface said:
sorry for the huge screenshot but

http://i.imgur.com/5l8Df.jpg[IMG]

anyone know wtf is happening? I can't move, I can't use my keyboard. Once every two minutes it allows me to click to move, then it doesn't work again. It is also stuck on this loading players shit.

This has happened to me every game I have tried to play so far.[/QUOTE]
Reinstall? I've got no idea.

kagete said:

5 million concurrent users is an impossibility. I'm expecting more along the lines of maximum 200k concurrent users at any point in the day. As a comparison TF2 has an average of about 40-60k concurrent users daily. But you are right - they'll need some bomb ass servers to handle the load.

NukeDukem

Banned
Blackface said:
http://i.imgur.com/5l8Df.jpg[IMG]

This has happened to me every game I have tried to play so far.[/QUOTE]

Take a screenshot of the console when it pops up. try getting in touch with s2's helpdesk, they'll help you figure out what to fix.
Console Key is [U][ctrl] + f8[/U]

Top Bottom