• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Ruin Screenshots (3DS, Square-Enix/N-Space, Early 2012) [Update: Teaser]

Looks like ass but who cares. It's a a dungeon crawler/loot whoring game. If they pack a lot of content into this thing and make it challenging then they have my attention.

Nocebo

This looks pretty cool. By the way are Japanese versions of games that have multiplayer compatible with us/eu versions?

[Nintex] said:
Due to the low ass resolution most 3DS games remind me of Dreamcast games with added fluff. It's pretty messed up feature wise. Take DOA Dimensions for example, the characters look just below Xbox level, the lighting is more or less Dreamcast like, the DOF and other shader effects elevate it back to Xbox level again while the animations are worse than the PS2 animations.

The best poly performance people are going to crank out of it is somewhere around Gamecube level, with 3D probably somewhere between PSP and GC... but with shaders and effects tacked on games can look way better than Wii games. Which is more than acceptable.

Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)

dead-or-alive-3.724019.jpg

Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS - obviously bullshot resolution + AA, but pretty good account of how it looks)

dead-or-alive-dimensions-gets-new-japanese-date.jpg

I disagree that the animations are worse than on PS2, DOAD has great animation at times. The launch software makes a woeful account of 3DS' capabilities, I expect E3 will have some better looking software.

As a concept Heroes of Ruin sounds quite exciting, especially the prospect of the social stuff... hopefully the execution is as good as it sounds.

Pooya

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Is square-enix london the group that is producing/overseeing this?

looks like it
http://twitter.com/n_Space/statuses/75517777607270400
nspace said:
follow @mycoldman (Mike Oldman, community manager at Square Enix London Studios) for more breaking news on Heroes of Ruin by SELS & @n_Space

About Square Enix London Studios
Square Enix London Studios is part of Square Enix Europe, sitting within Square Enix’ European head office in Wimbledon, South West London. The studio is focussed on bringing to market games from some of the world’s most successful and talented independent development teams. Previous games include award-winning titles such as BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM with Rocksteady Studios and JUST CAUSE 2 with Avalanche Studios.

[Nintex]

radioheadrule83 said:
The best poly performance people are going to crank out of it is somewhere around Gamecube level, with 3D probably somewhere between PSP and GC... but with shaders and effects tacked on games can look way better than Wii games. Which is more than acceptable.

Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)

Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS - obviously bullshot resolution + AA, but pretty good account of how it looks)

I disagree that the animations are worse than on PS2, DOAD has great animation at times. The launch software makes a woeful account of 3DS' capabilities, I expect E3 will have some better looking software.

As a concept Heroes of Ruin sounds quite exciting, especially the prospect of the social stuff... hopefully the execution is as good as it sounds.
This is what DOA:D looks like:
DOAD_R1.jpg

To be fair it obviously looks better in motion and turning on 3D removes some of the jaggies. The game is quite impressiive for a handheld title but overall the texture resolution is quite poor especially Leifang's dress for example or Hitomi's pants. The lighting is quite 'flat' too. It doesn't run that great in 3D either(it runs smooth without 3D).

It doesn't look anything like this:
dead-or-alive-dimensions-gets-new-japanese-date.jpg

The DOF effect isn't visible like that during the action, the hair isn't as detailed and doesn't bend like that and the costume textures are way lower res and to top it off the colors are a bit 'dull' on the 3D screen as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks a bit meh, but its colourful, and if it runs at a solid framerate I'll be stoked.

The spotpass/streetpass features sound awesome, as does online. A proper hack and slash dungeon crawler with randomisation is a brilliant match for portable gaming. I'm down.

Can saying "it looks like a N64 game!" be bannable now? It's just derailing threads with stupidity.

Anyway, it's exactly what I was expecting. 4 player loot whore game. I'm so there!

AceBandage said:
Can saying "it looks like a N64 game!" be bannable now? It's just derailing threads with stupidity.

Isn't backseat modding bannable?

[Nintex] said:
This is what DOA:D looks like:
[img.]http://www.n1ntendo.nl/publicfiles/games/3014-Dead-or-Alive-Dimensions/3DS/DOAD_R1.jpg[/img]

That doesn't look any better than Tekken: DR on the PSP TBH. I remember thinking this game looked really good last year.. I guess I was fooled by the bullshots.

This game looks awesome.

I agree, it's not going to be as zoomed in as these "action shots" during gameplay. The fourth pic is probably most representative of the game.

Truth101

Banned
Looks good, but I always hated the art style WoW uses and this game has the same art style.

Will have to wait till I see it in motion.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The first game with a real online structure in a Nintendo platform, filled with interesting ideas, and this thread is full of 2000s kids who never played a 64 game in their lives and graphic whores judging 3DS games by zoomed-in screenshots in higher resolutions than the handheld can handle.

Come the fuck on, people. Get real.

Luigiv

perfectnight said:
That doesn't look any better than Tekken: DR on the PSP TBH. I remember thinking this game looked really good last year.. I guess I was fooled by the bullshots.
In motion the game looks a ton better then Tekken DR. That's just a really unflattering screenshot.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Definitely a strong Torchlight vibe, which is not a bad thing at all. My eyes are on it.

Is this the start of the actual 3DS support?

Truth101

Banned
linko9 said:
This trailer is taking forever to download... hope this looks good in motion.

There isn't any gameplay in the trailer, just a little tease of black screen and words.

Why do you make a 1080p video that just shows words on a black background.... =C

Clunker

Brazil said:
The first game with a real online structure in a Nintendo platform, filled with interesting ideas, and this thread is full of 2000s kids who never played a 64 game in their lives and graphic whores judging 3DS games by zoomed-in screenshots in higher resolutions than the handheld can handle.

Come the fuck on, people. Get real.
Very stoked for the potential, but I'll wait to hear more about how the game handles friends and in-game invites before really getting excited. If it's as neutered as SSFIV and DoA, this would dampen my interest a bit.

Yoshiya

Yeah, for a game being announced in 2011 this looks pretty bad. I don't know whether to blame the dev or the hardware, but all I can say is the lack of any software by this point has comprehensively unsold me on the 3DS. Hopefully Cafe isn't a similar miss.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yoshiya said:
Yeah, for a game being announced in 2011 this looks pretty bad. I don't know whether to blame the dev or the hardware, but all I can say is the lack of any software by this point has comprehensively unsold me on the 3DS. Hopefully Cafe isn't a similar miss.

If you're going to judge 3DS games relative to the hardware available on other platforms in 2011 then you might as well write off the platform forever.

Yoshiya said:

I assume that this E3 will be a great one for all 3DS users - lots of games to see, the online shop will be up, etc.

Regarding the game, I am mostly encouraged by the online features, 3DS will host online multiplayer games with ease, at least that's smth...

Yoshiya

EatChildren said:
If you're going to judge 3DS games relative to the hardware available on other platforms in 2011 then you might as well write off the platform forever.
I did. Vita and iOS for me, unless something pretty dramatic changes the landscape. The system's more and more outdated with every passing day, already to the point where I find it hard to justify a purchase when it's been on the market for a few months, let alone years until the 3DS lite.

This might be an amazing loot game, and I hope it is given I love the genre, but I'd be disappointed if a PSP new release looked like this (admittedly the art has a lot to do with that).

f@luS

More than a member.
EatChildren said:
i expect 3DS game in 2011 (late) or 2012 to look better than good psp games.. i hope ill have it

ShinNL

Yoshiya said:
EatChildren said:
I did. Vita and iOS for me, unless something pretty dramatic changes the landscape. The system's more and more outdated with every passing day, already to the point where I find it hard to justify a purchase when it's been on the market for a few months, let alone years until the 3DS lite.

This might be an amazing loot game, and I hope it is given I love the genre, but I'd be disappointed if a PSP new release looked like this (admittedly the art has a lot to do with that).
If you have already written off the 3DS platform forever, then why are you in 3DS threads?

M3d10n

Yoshiya said:

If the existence of butt ugly games made the platform outdated, regardless of great looking game actually existing, you should write iOS off as well, since out of dozens of thousands of games, you can count on a single hand the ones that make the hardware specs any justice.

Actually, the vast majority of iOS games that are actually 3D aren't too far away from the screenshots posted here in geometry and texture resolution, mostly because *surprise* most iOS applications cannot use much more RAM than the 3DS actually has. Most games are also less than 300MBs as well. And at least the characters have actual shadows in this game.

WillyFive

The graphics remind me of Korean MMORPG's. Looks nostalgic.

Of course, there will always be someone who has no idea what N64 games looked like.

Maxrunner

Yoshiya said:

iOS lololol

Soneet said:
If you have already written off the 3DS platform forever, then why are you in 3DS threads?

Exactly. I dread a future in which every "screenshots/trailer of X 3DS game" thread degenerates into a discussion of the platform's specs compared to Vita and other handheld devices.

Top Bottom