• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Ruin Screenshots (3DS, Square-Enix/N-Space, Early 2012) [Update: Teaser]

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshiya said:
Of course, though plenty of iOS games certainly do look better than this and the CPU and GPU are both a significant step up. The difference is I already own an iOS device, and it accompanies me wherever I go. Games are also dirt cheap, for better or worse. For the cutting edge I do plan to buy a Vita.
GPU? No, unless you are talking about an iPad 2. And you can count with 1 finger the iOS games that look significantly better than SSFiV.

GeekyDad

Ratrat said:
Graphically it looks like ass. :(

And there it is...

I'm thinkin' for 3DS, no, it doesn't so much look like ass. It looks decent. Sized down for 3DS, it will likely look very nice. But yeah, we needed the obligatory first post about how bad the game looks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm interested in this primarily because its a loot based duneo crawler (it seems) and we don't usually get those on handhelds. It doesn't look utterly terrible, so I probsbly won't care about graphics.

Infuriating how people insist on comparing the best games on one platform to an effort by a mid-tier studio on a platform no-one has learned yet though.

UncleSporky said:
I think the hero's quite visible, even without having seen the art in the OP. I see his hands/fingers, his head, his animal style legs. I'd assume he's a catman or wolfman.

His sword looks oddly offset from his hands though.
UNSEE

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
How can anyone be excited for that when they could be playing this technical marvel instead?

2z3ovhw.png

oa8c5j.jpg

Blob shadow are the best shadow.

Sounds interesting and looks good enough, will be watching. Though dungeon crawlers seem to sound more interesting to me in theory than in reality.

FoneBone said:
Anyway, looks alright. And anybody inclined to use the words "looks like an n64 game" for whatever reason should REALLY look at some actual N64 screens first.
That and actually play an N64 game on an actual N64, can't quite fully experience sub 15 FPS in screenshots after all.

Honestly it looks OK, kind of like early Dreamcast, or the PSX games that got DC ports with graphic upgrades (Rayman 2/Legacy of Kain) which is just fine for now. I just hope the system has more tricks up its sleeve then what the devs have been showing.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
That and actually play an N64 game on an actual N64, can't quite fully experience sub 15 FPS in screenshots after all.

I hear you on that.

It's good to read 'Unlikely heroes' getting together rather than likely heroes getting together. It's a trope to many modern games fall back on.

It looks fine except for those blurry ground and vine textures. I'm really getting sick of every 3DS thread turning into a graphics whore QQ thread though. Cave Story, Shinobi, this game. It's getting old.

The magic N64s are on isle 3 right next to the Dreamcasts that still play the best looking version of Soul Calibur.

NateDrake

Has a World of Warcraft vibe to it for me. Looks solid enough visually but the gameplay will be the key thing to see. Hope to see a lot more of it next week during E3.

batbeg

I'm hoping the graphics look as they do because n-space just came from the brink of death, but it may also be worth considering the scope of the game, especially with all the proposed DLC and whatnot.

I'm excited, anyway

Oni Link 666 said:
It looks fine except for those blurry ground and vine textures. I'm really getting sick of every 3DS thread turning into a graphics whore QQ thread though. Cave Story, Shinobi, this game. It's getting old.

The magic N64s are on isle 3 right next to the Dreamcasts that still play the best looking version of Soul Calibur.
...but Cave Story 3DS does look like shit, it's not the 3DS's fault, it's just awful.

I like how this game is looking, especially if it is zoomed out further than a lot of these screens. Can't wait to see some gameplay!

I'm really starting to wonder if Nintendo's in house developers (yes I know this is not one don't jump down my throat!) and third party partners can even pull off the CAFE.

They seem to be so used to producing simplistic content for the Wii and DS (and yes shovelware), that I have a hard time believing they can make the jump conpetitively to the CAFE with graphics that are even on par much less better than the games studios have been laboring over on the 360 PS3 and PC

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I am convinced most people here never owned an N64 or played an N64 game or even looked a N64 in their lives. Ever.

Foxix Von

As someone who isn't a magical N64 wielding elitist, I think that looks pretty cool. Has sort of a warcrafty look without going overboard on the cartoonyness. I rather like it, and I'm super starved for some dungeon crawling so I'm really looking forward to it.

teeny

Johnny2Bags said:
I'm really starting to wonder if Nintendo's in house developers (yes I know this is not one don't jump down my throat!) and third party partners can even pull off the CAFE.

They seem to be so used to producing simplistic content for the Wii and DS (and yes shovelware), that I have a hard time believing they can make the jump conpetitively to the CAFE with graphics that are even on par much less better than the games studios have been laboring over on the 360 PS3 and PC

Except those third parties are the same third parties. If the Cafe is as capable as they say, and easy to port to, expect third parties to put everything on it that would be multiplatform anyway. After all, what is there to gain from not doing that?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Johnny2Bags said:
I'm really starting to wonder if Nintendo's in house developers .. can even pull off the CAFE.

They seem to be so used to producing simplistic content for the Wii and DS (and yes shovelware)
Which Nintendo in-house developers have been creating "shovelware" for either system?

Instro

Hm not sure I get all the graphics complaints, other than some weak textures everything else looks fine considering what the game is.

The n64 comments are beyond stupid, I can only assume those people never actually owned a console during that gen?

gerg said:
I always want these magical N64s that people seem to have owned.

This isn't a joke post, right?

Pretty sure he's talking about the super fuzzy/bland/garbled looking textures.

This game looks like ass, what's with the color scheme?
I really don't care if it's technically above n64 or psx games, aestethically it looks like shit, while plenty of psx/n64 games don't.

Teknoman

If it plays at a nice framerate, has a cool soundtrack, is fun with good/stable online play, I could see myself playing this. Reminds me of Torchlight.

madara

Ouch, I know today everyone is too lazy for time consuming sprites but is Cell Shading also that bad? Must be otherwise ya have to ponder the art direction so often lately.

Princess Skittles said:
Which Nintendo in-house developers have been creating "shovelware" for either system?

that was meant for their third party devs... Sorry If i worded that awkwardly. No offense intended... It's just a whole new game they will all be playing perfecting various graphics engines to a T while still delivering fun games... I'm hoping they pull it off with no flaws... but their partners seemed to have developed for them in the past as an easy excuse to grab some money from an undiscerning crowd..

TEJ

Princess Skittles said:
Sega/Grasshopper should make Shining Soul III, on that note.

i've been wanting this for seven years. in that time i've learned to be more like the srpg shining fanbase and expect it to not happen.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
TEJ said:
i've been wanting this for seven years. in that time i've learned to be more like the srpg shining fanbase and expect it to not happen.
Basically. Any time the word Sega is attached to something, I've just learned to deal with the despair.

Eradicate

They posted up a new picture. I apologize that I didn't post up the picture itself, but I'm not sure how to do that in these forums. Also, I'm not sure if the site it comes from allows it.

http://yfrog.com/h0gkrmsj

I wonder if the characters are customizable and their armor/weapon changes visible? The character here looks different than in other shots (meaning the artwork and the one available with the character in it).

Eradicate said:
gkrms.jpg

I wonder if the characters are customizable and their armor/weapon changes visible? The character here looks different than in other shots (meaning the artwork and the one available with the character in it).

There are two shots of that character in the OP already, which look slightly different, so it's pretty safe to say that there is some form of character/armor customization.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
They should incorporate random loot into StreetPass somehow.. I'm not exactly coming up with any great ideas on my own at the moment, but they should definitely do something.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Princess Skittles said:
They should incorporate random loot into StreetPass somehow.. I'm not exactly coming up with any great ideas on my own at the moment, but they should definitely do something.

That's what they're doing with spotpass.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So essentially the gunner = human, female rogue/thief = elf, swordsman = beastman (pic is lion, screenshot is hyena), tank class/berserker = giant, I take it?

grumpy

I literally went from "lol n-space" to "... go on..." and then to "can't wait for the E3 reveal" in the space of 20 seconds after reading the OP.

Eradicate

Ookami-kun said:
So essentially the gunner = human, female rogue/thief = elf, swordsman = beastman (pic is lion, screenshot is hyena), tank class/berserker = giant, I take it?

That's basically the way that I imagine it to go. I think you're spot on!

And thank you HiddenWings for putting the picture up with your response!

Gamestop has their page up for the game now with tentative box art:

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/heroes-of-ruin/91217

I'm curious as to what n-Space's other games are going to be?

Synless

radioheadrule83 said:
The best poly performance people are going to crank out of it is somewhere around Gamecube level, with 3D probably somewhere between PSP and GC... but with shaders and effects tacked on games can look way better than Wii games. Which is more than acceptable.

Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)

Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS - obviously bullshot resolution + AA, but pretty good account of how it looks)

I disagree that the animations are worse than on PS2, DOAD has great animation at times. The launch software makes a woeful account of 3DS' capabilities, I expect E3 will have some better looking software.

As a concept Heroes of Ruin sounds quite exciting, especially the prospect of the social stuff... hopefully the execution is as good as it sounds.
The animations in DoA:D are absolutely worse than the PS2 DoA. The clothing, the hair, everything.

This new SE game looks terrible for the record.

Top Bottom