• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

what kinda monitors does NEO-GAF use on their setups?

PVM-2530 here. Actually I have 5 of them lol, though on one the picture is barely hanging on. I've been putting this off for forever but I really want to figure out the dual monitor thing. My friends and I love to get down on some KoF and for the longest time I've wanted to play it H2H. I know for most arcade boards the raw video signal can be split clean without being amplified. I'm guessing the same can be done out of the Omega RGB?

PVMs typically have RGB out, don't they? Though I haven't tried it on mine yet, I imagine you just connect the RGB OUT from one to the RGB IN on the other to have a duplicate image.

I need to take another look, but yeah they do. IIRC it was just a single BNC connection, so it seemed a little weird to me. I'm not sure what that implies about the picture quality (CRT scrub, here). The manual I read showed a setup that had like 4 or 5 connected that way. I guess I'll have to try that out. Still, I would like to get it figured out from the PCB end because that way it creates the option of being able to have H2H even on composite setups or whatever else. One cool possibility is being able to output one to your monitor and then the other to an upscaler. That would be so sick.

Peltz

PVMs typically have RGB out, don't they? Though I haven't tried it on mine yet, I imagine you just connect the RGB OUT from one to the RGB IN on the other to have a duplicate image.

That's exactly correct. There's no signal degradation or lag either. It's pretty nifty, especially if you want to compare monitors.

P.S. I didn't answer the question. I'm sporting a PVM 20M2U for my CMVS. I also have 2 14" monitors, but I'm not sure what to do with them. I may turn the 14" PVM into a tate-shmup monitor.

I'm not really certain as to what I should do with the 14" Panasonic though. It's such a cool item, and produces the highest quality image I've ever seen, but the geometry is off :'(

If only it could be fixed.

baphomet

I don't think the 2530 takes rgb over BNC though. I know my 2030 doesn't, it uses the cmptr connection.

Edit - 2530 doesn't have rgb out.

Peltz

I don't think the 2530 takes rgb over BNC though. I know my 2030 doesn't, it uses the cmptr connection. If that's the case you would need to build/have built a BNC to cmptr cable. Its not the same as the cmptr to BNC cable.

What's a cmptr cable? Pics?

baphomet

What's a cmptr cable? Pics?

_7974449.jpg

Its the only way the 2030 and 2530 accept rgb.

Leonsito

How much would you pay for a 2-slot CMVS ? With Unibios, 5v mod, stereo mod, etc... A guy from my city is selling one for 229€ but I think it may be a bit too much...

baphomet

How much would you pay for a 2-slot CMVS ? With Unibios, 5v mod, stereo mod, etc... A guy from my city is selling one for 229€ but I think it may be a bit too much...

Well he's selling it for about 400euro going by that ebay listing. It'll probably sell for that.

Leonsito

Well he's selling it for about 400euro going by that ebay listing. It'll probably sell for that.

It was relisted a couple of times, not even bids for 229€ each time.

The only problem with that board is that it's too big, I was looking for a consolized mvs to replace my MV1FZ + Supergun, but no luck so far, and I'm not brave enough to mod mine.

Btw, what's the point of the 5v mod?

Samuray

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Strikers 1945 Plus from someone. I've been wanting that one forever and now, after lucking out on an eBay sale which netted me an unexpected amount of money, I could finally afford it.

I am a complete sucker for shmups in that graphical style (Battle Garegga comes to mind as well) so I'm hoping I'm gonna love this. It's been my most wanted game for the AES for a long time now, and I can't wait for it to arrive. :)

Yeah, sure, it's not as brilliant as Pulstar/ Blazing Star and whatnot. But are people at least a little bit fond of it around here?

Mercutio

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Strikers 1945 Plus from someone. I've been wanting that one forever and now, after lucking out on an eBay sale which netted me an unexpected amount of money, I could finally afford it.

I am a complete sucker for shmups in that graphical style (Battle Garegga comes to mind as well) so I'm hoping I'm gonna love this. It's been my most wanted game for the AES for a long time now, and I can't wait for it to arrive. :)

Yeah, sure, it's not as brilliant as Pulstar/ Blazing Star and whatnot. But are people at least a little bit fond of it around here?

Oh totally. I really like that game, and I'd absolutely jump at the chance to have a copy. I actually like most shooters on the Neo Geo; it might not have quantity, but the quality is there.

Nice gets!

I picked up my AES KOF collection over a number of years. It was great buying one and seeing all the differences to them all.

Hey guys! I'm looking to get into the Neo Geo scene and know absolutely nothing about any of it. Of course, I've seen how expensive AES stuff is and will go with MVS, but I was wondering this: are there any graphical/sound differences between the two? I know that AES games are far more rare, but it'd suck if they were the superior version of the game, as well.

Hey guys! I'm looking to get into the Neo Geo scene and know absolutely nothing about any of it. Of course, I've seen how expensive AES stuff is and will go with MVS, but I was wondering this: are there any graphical/sound differences between the two? I know that AES games are far more rare, but it'd suck if they were the superior version of the game, as well.

hello! And the answer is they are identical. The hardware is the same, in fact using the Universe Bios you can choose between MVS and AES modes where applicable. The differences between versions are pretty minor. In the fighting games for example, AES lets you choose different fighting modes, practice, gives you access to options, etc. MVS is strictly and literally the "arcade experience". Chances are if you buy a consolized MVS it'll have the Universe Bios so you'll be all set.

hello! And the answer is they are identical. The hardware is the same, in fact using the Universe Bios you can choose between MVS and AES modes where applicable. The differences between versions are pretty minor. In the fighting games for example, AES lets you choose different fighting modes, practice, gives you access to options, etc. MVS is strictly and literally the "arcade experience". Chances are if you buy a consolized MVS it'll have the Universe Bios so you'll be all set.

So if I buy a consolized MVS that has that BIOS, I can choose between the home and arcade versions of a game?

Also, where can I find a consolized MVS? Didn't really find anything on eBay and my membership for the Neo-Geo.com forum hasn't gone through yet.

Ban Puncher

So if I buy a consolized MVS that has that BIOS, I can choose between the home and arcade versions of a game?

Also, where can I find a consolized MVS? Didn't really find anything on eBay and my membership for the Neo-Geo.com forum hasn't gone through yet.

Yes, if you have an MVS setup with the Uni-BIOS you can change between MVS and AES mode at will.

To get you started on a console MVS setup, check out the Omega from Arcade Works;

http://www.arcadeworks.net/hardware/omega-vmc.html

Haven't heard anyone say anything negative about them myself but I am more of an AES person.

There is also Analogue Interactive's offering but they are style over substance, expensive and are currently embroiled in a dispute with customers regarding their RGB NES product.

Yes, if you have an MVS setup with the Uni-BIOS you can change between MVS and AES mode at will.

To get you started on a console MVS setup, check out the Omega from Arcade Works;

http://www.arcadeworks.net/hardware/omega-vmc.html

Haven't heard anyone say anything negative about them myself but I am more of an AES person.

There is also Analogue Interactive's offering but they are style over substance, expensive and are currently embroiled in a dispute with customers regarding their RGB NES product.

Wow, that's pretty nice! Expensive, but still less than half the cost of a US AES. I'll have to save up for a decent CRT monitor or something to make it look extra sharp. It's cool that it outputs RGB as well!

Yeah, the only thing you'll lose out on with a MVS is that AES games come in those nice Shockbox cases, while MVS games don't. MVS games just came in cardboard boxes with the name printed on the side. However, you'll have spent a LOT less money, for exactly the same games inside the cartridges. Also some people make/sell homemade shockboxes for MVS games.

Yeah, the only thing you'll lose out on with a MVS is that AES games come in those nice Shockbox cases, while MVS games don't. MVS games just came in cardboard boxes with the name printed on the side. However, you'll have spent a LOT less money, for exactly the same games inside the cartridges. Also some people make/sell homemade shockboxes for MVS games.

Yeah, those boxes are pretty sexy, but I think I'd prefer to save myself the money. I will check out the homemade ones for sure, though.

Bar81

They're not shockboxes. The home carts have nice snaplock cases for the most part (although earlier games came in cardboard cases and/or vinyl cases). The shockboxes are okay but they're pretty basic, take up a lot of shelf real estate and to me, make it seem like you're trying too hard to pretend like you have a home cart. I much prefer neominiboxes for MVS storage.

Mercutio

Anyone here familar with consolizing arcade units? Specifically, the Hyper Neo Geo 64 system?

I think at that point you'd really just want to get a Supergun... it probably isn't worth the effort to consolize something with so little software.

I'm incredulously ill informed on the hardware of neo geo MVS arcade cabinets but theres a guy offering to sell me an MVS 4 slot system that apparently crashes frequently and needs "board repairs" but aside from that one slot supposedly functions and the monitor/caddy is fine.

This is probably an incredulously illogical question with no technical background: Does anyone know if I could simply buy a new board/slot (say a one slot or two slot) and simply attach it or replace the faulty 4 slot board? Anyone know if thats even a possibility or how to go about it? Realize this is a longshot but outside the neo geo home forums I cant imagine a more knowledgeable group :)

P.S. Yes. I got bored of the NGCD. Still like the loady lunk. Also don't care to make a super gun nor consolized, really want that true mvs cab.

Mercutio

I'm incredulously ill informed on the hardware of neo geo MVS arcade cabinets but theres a guy offering to sell me an MVS 4 slot system that apparently crashes frequently and needs "board repairs" but aside from that one slot supposedly functions and the monitor/caddy is fine.

This is probably an incredulously illogical question with no technical background: Does anyone know if I could simply buy a new board/slot (say a one slot or two slot) and simply attach it or replace the faulty 4 slot board? Anyone know if thats even a possibility or how to go about it? Realize this is a longshot but outside the neo geo home forums I cant imagine a more knowledgeable group :)

P.S. Yes. I got bored of the NGCD. Still like the loady lunk. Also don't care to make a super gun nor consolized, really want that true mvs cab.

The board has a common connector called JAMMA, and you should be able to connect another MVS board (of any type) without too much trouble. I think the only difference would be that the latest MVS boards don't have memory card reader support out of the box.

I actually have a spare MV-1C with I believe a Uni-BIOS 2.3, socket install for easy replacement. I got it a year or so before I got my Omega from JNX. Still working great. If anyone is interested, PM.

grendelrt

4 slot and 2 Slot use the MVS style edge. You can convert to jamma and vice versa easily with an adapter if you get a 1 slot board.

Board comparison:
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm

You can probably repair the 4 slot or you can pick up a 2 slot for around 120 or another 4 slot for prob 160-200. 2 slot has memory card connectors directly on the board and 4 slot I think uses a connector to an external board. If the cabinet is already set up with the 4 slot and has a 4 slot marquee I would say fix or replace the 4 slot inside.

jerry1594

I thought this was a new OT. It's still awesome though. I love SNK's work (mostly from an artistic standpoint... I can't be bothered to play anything but Metal Slug and Puzzle Bobble) and it's sad to see what they are now. Disagree NeoGeo was the pinnacle of sprite animation though. To me it's late CPS-2 and CPS-3 games. And Breath of Fire 4 has probably the most fluid animation I've ever seen (even though the sprites are super tiny)

grendelrt

I thought this was a new OT. It's still awesome though. I love SNK's work (mostly from an artistic standpoint... I can't be bothered to play anything but Metal Slug and Puzzle Bobble) and it's sad to see what they are now. Disagree NeoGeo was the pinnacle of sprite animation though. To me it's late CPS-2 and CPS-3 games. And Breath of Fire 4 has probably the most fluid animation I've ever seen (even though the sprites are super tiny)

Yeah but you are talking about a system that was released in 1990 vs a system released in 1993 (cps2) and 1996 (cps3). Its pretty impressive the sprite work is running on hardware that had been around that long, the Metal Slug series and Garou:MOTW are still some of the best sprite work ever. The NG:DEV games look spectacular to this day on the hardware even though a lot of their stuff is pre rendered.

jerry1594

Yeah but you are talking about a system that was released in 1990 vs a system released in 1993 (cps2) and 1996 (cps3). Its pretty impressive the sprite work is running on hardware that had been around that long, the Metal Slug series and Garou:MOTW are still some of the best sprite work ever. The NG:DEV games look spectacular to this day on the hardware even though a lot of their stuff is pre rendered.

Good point. But to me a big reason why Capcom's work was better was because they followed the 12 principles of animation in their work a lot. SNK's sprites were more rigid and human like in their fighting games (though the application of the principles in Metal Slug is nothing short of incredible).

Samuray

Oh boy....

Together with that "Strikers 1945+" I picked up "Operation Ragnarok" and "The Legend of Success Joe"....

Yeah, I know it's supposed to be really horrible, but I dig the concept of the boxer's story, plus I want everything remotely resembling a fighting game on the Neo Geo....so I'm hoping I will see something decent in that game. It's also relatively cheap for an AES game so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

(by that reasoning, "Strikers 1945+" should be indeed fantastic....fuck, that was expensive)

@Sparrowhawk: Welcome to the Neo community :) Always good to see new blood.
Although I'm purely an AES guy myself I can understand opting for MVS just too well. Doesn't matter in the end, the games remain awesome!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I have a love/hate relationship with Neo Geo.

I am an AES owner, and I got it way back when the older games were actually really cheap, so I thought that it was going to be easy to collect for. How silly I was.

I don't regret selling anything - I have plenty of games to play - but I got rid of games like Pulstar, Metal Slug, and King of Fighters 98. Friends give me crap for that, but meh. I still have games like Blazing Star, Metal Slug X and Last Blade 2, so I think I'm doing just fine.

I wish I was able to get Neo Turf Masters, Twinklestar Sprites, and Sengoku 3. But those are simply unattainable on home cart, now. They'll either be a bootleg, or insultingly expensive.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Oh boy....

Together with that "Strikers 1945+" I picked up "Operation Ragnarok" and "The Legend of Success Joe"....

Yeah, I know it's supposed to be really horrible, but I dig the concept of the boxer's story, plus I want everything remotely resembling a fighting game on the Neo Geo....so I'm hoping I will see something decent in that game. It's also relatively cheap for an AES game so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

(by that reasoning, "Strikers 1945+" should be indeed fantastic....fuck, that was expensive)

@Sparrowhawk: Welcome to the Neo community :) Always good to see new blood.
Although I'm purely an AES guy myself I can understand opting for MVS just too well. Doesn't matter in the end, the games remain awesome!

It really is. I sold mine to a guy who's trying to get a complete US collection. I told him it was crap. He didn't care. Such is life.

galvatron

I keep my MVS carts loose on a shelf, don't see the point of putting them in cases, they're already massive enough as it is.

Not only that, but they're durable as hell. No need for extra protection of the PCB.

Besides, I could easily blow $1000+ on shock boxes if I were trying to display them all.

grendelrt

I keep my MVS carts loose on a shelf, don't see the point of putting them in cases, they're already massive enough as it is.

I use Windy Sleeves, they are just cardboard sleeves that add basically no size to the cart and then you can print up side art for them.

^great taste.

so this is the MV-1C I'm selling. Turns out it's a 3.0 Uni-BIOS. It's currently being held for a NeoGAF member.

I made this little video to show that it works. It's a small KoF '98 combo video. Nothing too fancy but the first two in particular are fun to do. Done using an HRAP2.

'98 Calm Bows

Ban Puncher

^great taste.

so this is the MV-1C I'm selling. Turns out it's a 3.0 Uni-BIOS. It's currently being held for a NeoGAF member.

I made this little video to show that it works. It's a small KoF '98 combo video. Nothing too fancy but the first two in particular are fun to do. Done using an HRAP2.

'98 Calm Bows

Are you pressing joystick buttons or slapping your inner thighs in that video?

Leonsito

I found a guy that can consolize my MV-1FZ board, and he told me that if I wanted he has a MV-1B, which is more compact.

I don't know which one choose, I see a few of you have that white consolized MV-1C from JNX, but I don't know how to buy one from their site :(

Mercutio

I found a guy that can consolize my MV-1FZ board, and he told me that if I wanted he has a MV-1B, which is more compact.

I don't know which one choose, I see a few of you have that white consolized MV-1C from JNX, but I don't know how to buy one from their site :(

The 1C has a vertical cart installation, which is generally preferred by consolizers. More like other consoles.

Top Bottom