• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF: How many of Sonic's shitty little friends do you actually recognise?

Kyoufu

I threw up in my mouth. Poor Sonic :(

Knuckles was the last awesome character they created, who turned out to be in the last awesome Sonic game. After that it was all a mess. :(

brlito said:
Post more Sonic hot bitches.
mamar.jpg

Gagaman

Can you really count characters like that witch enemy from tails Sky patrol? There's also a character in the bottom row from a canceled game. :lol
Not sure how three chaos count either. The funny part is this doesn't even count characters from the comics and cartoons, that would probably double it again. :lol

If you were to get together every Mario character from every spin off etc, you might get even more than that.

Including characters who only appaered once like that Sonic image: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Mario_characters

First Row: 6
Sonic, Robotnik, Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic, Knuckles

Second Row: 3
Charmy, Espio, ???, Vector, ???, ???

Third Row: 1
???, ???, Metal Knuckles, ???, ???, ???

Fourth Row: 4
???, ???, Big, Sonic Adventure 1 Robot, Chaos Zero, Tikal

Fifth Row: 5
Chao, Rouge, Shadow, Maria, The Dude Who Gets Shot in SA2, ???

Sixth Row: 5
Cream, Omega, Cheese, Emerl, ???, Blaze

Seventh Row: 2
???, Robochao (From SA2?), ???, Jet, ???, ???

Eighth Row: 2
Silver, Princess from Sonic 360 that Lacey Chabert voiced, ???, ???, ???, ???

Ninth Row: 2
The Thing That Likes Ice Cream from Unleashed, Werehog, ???, ???, ???, ???

Tenth Row: 1
???, ???, ???, ???, ???, Froggy

Eleventh Row: 0

So, all in all, I knew 31 of them. I am scared...Well thankfully, some of them I recognized but didn't fully know their names so I put my closest guess. Still, some of those are very WTH-worthy.

Gagaman said:
Can you really count characters like that witch enemy from tails Sky patrol? There's also a character in the bottom row from a canceled game. :lol
Not sure how three chaos count either. The funny part is this doesn't even count characters from the comics and cartoons, that would probably double it again. :lol

If you were to get together every Mario character from every spin off etc, you might get even more than that.
Fortunately Mario games are actually good.

Gagaman

evilromero said:
Fortunately Mario games are actually good.
Well duh, but that's not what I was saying. The characters aren't the real problem, even if there is a lot of them. The games themselves need fixing. Mario games are fine even though they have even more shitty friends than Sonic. I mean, baby Mario and Mario in the same game wouldn't be accepted if they were like Sonic games (lack of) quality wise.

See: Sonic Rush Adventure. Has about 4 new characters, but is a good game. It all depends on how you use them really.

Ramune

PepsimanVsJoe said:
One thing I never considered is that Cream's friend Sugar(the chao with the bow-tie).

Not one of them got the idea to pass that bow-tie among each other to mess with Cream's head?

I hate this thread btw. It's making me hate myself for being such a fucknut.

Don't you mean "Cheese". Oh god, I look at the list, and haven't really played a Sonic game past Sonic Heroes and the Rush games, but I can look at the list and pinpoint exactly which game the character likely came from. *Rolls up his sleeve*

First Row:
1) Sonic the Hedgehog
2) Dr. Ivo Robotnik aka. Dr. Eggman
3) Miles "Tails" Prower
4) Amy Rose aka. Rosy the Rascal
5) Metal Sonic
6) Knuckles

Second Row:
7) Charmy Bee
8) Espio the Chameleon
9) Mighty the Armadillo
10) Vector the Crocodile
11) Nack the Weasel aka. Fang the Sniper
12) Heavy

Third Row:
13) Bomb
14) Mecha Sonic
15) Metal Knuckles
16) Tails Doll
17) Flicky
18) Ray the Squirrel

Forth Row:
19) Wendy Witchcart
20) Grand Battle Kukku 15th
21) Big the Cat
22) E-102 "Gamma"
23) Chaos
24) Tikal

Fifth Row:
25) A chao
26) Rouge the Bat
27) Shadow the Hedeghog aka. Ultimate lifeform
28) Maria Robotnik (render must be from Shadow the Hedgehog; never played)
29) Gerald Robotnik
30) Vanilla the Rabbit

Sixth Row:
31) Cream the Rabbit & Cheese the Chao (he's cheating)
32) E-123 "Omega"
34) Cheese the Chao
35) Emerl
36) Gemerl
37) Blaze the Cat

Seventh Row:
38) Eggman Nega
39) Omachao
40) Black op (?)
41) Jet the Hawk
42) Storm the Albatross
43) Wave the Swallow

Eighth Row:
44) Silver the Hedgehog
45) Princess Elise
46) Mephiles (the hedgehog?)
47) Marine
48) Captain Whisker (awesome if it was really Big the Cat)
49) Johnny

Ninth Row:
50) Chip
51) (I actually don't know *gasp*)
52) Shahra
53) Erazor Djinn
54) Void (Nights is that you?)

Tenth Row:
55) Bean the Duck
56) Bark the Bear
57) The girl that summons Sonic in Sonic & The Black Knight ?
58) The Black Knight ?
59) Caliburn
60) Froggy

Eleventh Row:
61) Some character from Sonic Chronicles?
62) Another Sonic chronicles character?
63) Battle Kukku Army minion
64) Tiara Boobowski (or Tiara B.)
65) Lumina Flowlight
66) Chocola Chao (that the only pic of him? o_O)

*dies*

HUELEN10 said:
So 2, I don't know 2 shitty friends. This is kinda conflicting lol.

Seriously :lol

Edit: Forgot to add Caliburn. Yes, forgot to add the sword. -_-;

HUELEN10

Sonic, Eggman, Miles Prower, Amy, Metal Sonic, Knuckles, Charmy, Espio, Mighty, Vector, Nack, Heavy, Bomb, No idea, but either called mecha or metal sonic?, Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Flicky, Ray, Wendy, Great Battle Kukku 15th, Big, Gamma, Chaos 0, Tikal, Chao, Rouge, Shadow, Maria, Gerald, Vanilla, Cream, Omega, Cheese, Emerl, G-mel or Gemerl, Blaze, Eggman Nega, Omochao, Black Doom, Jet, Storm, Wave, Silver, Elise, Mephiles,Marine, Captain Whisker, Johnny, Chip, Sonic (Yeah, his name is still Sonic), Professor Pickle, Shaara, Erazor, Void, Bean, Bark, Merlina, The Black Knight, Caliburn, Forggy, Shade, Ix, No fucking idea, Tiara Bobowski, Lumina, Chocola.

So 2, I don't know 2 shitty friends. This is kinda conflicting lol.

Gagaman

I think that blue thing in the bottom row is a bad guy from Tails Adventure, whatever he was called. That's sort of like including a badnik though, of which there were loads of them (for obvious reasons).

So I recognize quite a lot of them, but wouldn't be able to name most if I tried. Most were only in one game to be fair.

Sonic, Dr. Robotnik/Eggman, Tails, Amy Rose, Metal Sonic, Knuckles, Charmy, Espio, Mighty, Vector, ?, ?, ?, Mecha Sonic, Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, ?, ?, ?, ?, Big, E-102 Gamma, Chaos, Tikal, Chao, Rouge, Shadow, Maria Robotnik, Gerald Robotnik, Vanilla, Cream, ?, Cheese, Emerl, ?, Blaze, Eggman Nega, Omochao, ?, Jet, Storm, Wave, Silver, Princess Elise, Mephiles, Marine, Captain Whisker, Johnny, Chip, Werehog Sonic, ?, Sharah, Erazor Djinn, ?, ?, ?, Merlina, King Arthur/Black Knight, Caliburn, Froggy, Shade, ?, ?, ?, ?

There that's all I know =d

Gagaman

Here's the image with only the characters that have appeared in more than one game.

168ar7q.jpg

Original filename slightlylessshit.jpg

They seem to create about 3 new characters on average per game, but rarely do many stick around for more than that one game, so whatever.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
The ones I knew? *Not in order, just naming the ones I remember from looking at them.

Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, Amy, Knuckles, Big The Cat, Rouge, Chaos, Tikal, Shadow, Chao, Cream & Cheese.

That's it, hardly any of them, and still that is far too many, damn Sega.

Syril

What the crap is that dark blue thing with the red eyes on the 4th to last row? Is that supposed to be their attempt at a hedgehog villain?

Doodlebug

I could only name Sonic and Tails. I recognised Dr. Robotnik, but couldn't recall his name without reading the replies.

HUELEN10

Gagaman said:
Here's the image with only the characters that have appeared in more than one game.

168ar7q.jpg
You forgot Gamma. She appeared in Sonic Shuffle, and later as Chaos Gamma. BTW, why is Gemerl on the list? He appeared after Sadv3? When and where?!?!?!?!

You also forgot Vanilla!

You forgot Eggman Nega too!

Gagaman

HUELEN10 said:
You forgot Gamma. She appeared in Sonic Shuffle, and later as Chaos Gamma. BTW, why is Gemerl on the list? He appeared after Sadv3? When and where?!?!?!?!
Ah sorry, I haven't played every game that much (a few I haven't at all), I thought Gemerl may of also been in Sonic Battle as an enemy. Also I forgot all about Gamma in Shuffle, never played more than a couple hours of that rubbish. :lol

But yeah: if the games were still great people wouldn't give a toss about new characters. That's all I'm sayin' (with the exception of Unleashed, which may have been more popular if the Werehog was instead Knuckles or something).

HUELEN10

Gagaman said:
Ah sorry, I haven't played every game that much, I thought Gemerl may of also been in Sonic Battle as an enemy. Also I forgot all about Gamma in Shuffle, never played more than a couple hours of that rubbish. :lol

But yeah: if the games were still great people wouldn't give a toss about new characters.
You also forgot Vanilla and Nega. But yeah, no Gemerl in SOnic Battle, as he debuted in the game that came AFTER that. :D

Gagaman

HUELEN10 said:
You also forgot Vanilla and Nega. But yeah, no Gemerl in SOnic Battle, as he debuted in the game that came AFTER that. :D
I honestly only remember seeing Vanilla briefly in Advance 1, but I never beat Advance 2 or 3 so that'll be why. What was Nega also in? I recall him in Rush but was he in Rush Adventure too?

Ovid

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Robotnik (the only characters that matter).
Never really played the next gen Sonic games.

HUELEN10

Gagaman said:
I honestly only remember seeing Vanilla briefly in Advance 1, but I never beat Advance 2 or 3 so that'll be why. What was Nega also in? I recall him in Rush but was he in Rush Adventure too?
First, vanilla debuted in Advance 2. Second, she has a part in Sonic Rush. Eggman Nega has been in both Rush games, and both Rivals games.

Gagaman

HUELEN10 said:
First, vanilla debuted in Advance 2. Second, she has a part in Sonic Rush. Eggman Nega has been in both Rush games, and both Rivals games.
Fair enough. I'm pretty behind on the hand held games, only just got a DS recently and have both Rush games on the way. Not touching Chronicles though, couldn't give a shite about that one. Maybe I'm thinking of Sonic X where I saw Vanilla, I don't know. :lol

tarius1210 said:
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Robotnik (the only characters that matter).
Never really played the next gen Sonic games.

You haven't missed much. If you're gonna go for any, just play the Rush games on the DS. Otherwise even the ones considered pretty good won't have aged well enough to play them for the first time now.

HUELEN10

Gagaman said:
Fair enough. I'm pretty behind on the hand held games, only just got a DS recently and have both Rush games on the way. Not touching Chronicles though, couldn't give a shite about that one. Maybe I'm thinking of Sonic X where I saw Vanilla, I don't know. :lol
Lol, but yeah have fun with the games. Also, Chronicles is SHIT.

Enjoy The Sonic Rush games! Use some good headphones!

Grayman

sonic
robotnick
tails
metal sonic
knuckles
basic after this point it turns into a big joke
other metal sonic
retard polygon knuckles
retard polygon tails
anime tails?
the riddler
stupid sonic with a gun
real life looking robotnick
"beat it' robotnick
green sonic
white sonic
another metal sonic
girl tails
wolf sonic
an old man

Gagaman

2413530165_e8f7d54deb_o.jpg

Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Bowser

:lol

Oh and Baby Donkey Kong and Baby Wario in Yoshi Island DS 2. So wait there's Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and baby Donkey Kong? *brain explodes*

DrPirate

Banned
Yixian said:
What's the deal with the "Eggman" name anyway? I always thought it was Dr Robotnik..

This...I've always wanted to know why he had this random sudden name change?

Edit: Nvm, beaten and answered.

Gagaman

DrPirate said:
This...I've always wanted to know why he had this random sudden name change?
They tried to fix the canon so it matched what it always was in Japan. By then it was too late though. Kind of like the whole King Koopa/Bowser thing, I guess.

DrPirate

Banned
Gagaman said:
They tried to fix the canon so it matched what it always was in Japan. By then it was too late though. Kind of like the whole King Koopa/Bowser thing, I guess.

HUELEN10 said:
It's ALWAYS been Eggman. Now it is reflected internationally.

Thanks alot guys, I've wondered this for years actually.....

Finally some resolution lol

Gagaman said:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2298/2413530165_e8f7d54deb_o.jpg

Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Bowser

:lol

Its not about the number of characters that are introduced, that isn't the problem.

Its about the fact that each shit Sonic after each shit Sonic, Sega's approach is NEXT GIMMICK/NEW CHARACTER. Each game comes out with fundemental flaws, and there is no stop time, no rethink, no reimagining of their guiding concepts and gameplay backbone.

If you are driving a train of made out of shit, you get off and build a better train. You don't keep adding new crewmembers and gimmicky seats to distract the passengers from the smell.

Gagaman

Mama Robotnik said:
Its not about the number of characters that are introduced, that isn't the problem.

Its about the fact that each shit Sonic after each shit Sonic, Sega's approach is NEXT GIMMICK/NEW CHARACTER. Each game comes out with fundemental flaws, and there is no stop time, no rethink, no reimagining of their guiding concepts and gameplay backbone.

If you are driving a train of made out of shit, you get off and build a better train. You don't keep adding new crewmembers and gimmicky seats to distract the passengers from the smell.
You're right, but you didn't really state that in the OT, only that there were loads of characters you didn't recognize. I was just pointing out that Mario is hardly not guilty of it's pointless cast members too. :D

Wizpig

Well, to answer the OP, about 56 characters, but i know the names of about 20-25 of those...
WTF is that thing in the fourth row from top, the spot after the witch?

HUELEN10

Wizpig said:
Well, to answer the OP, about 56 characters, but i know the names of about 20-25 of those...
WTF is that thing in the fourth row from top, the spot after the witch?
Great Battle Kukku the 15th

Gagaman said:
You're right, but you didn't really state that in the OP, only that there were loads of characters you didn't recognize. I was just pointing out that Mario is hardly not guilty of it's pointless cast members too. :D

I didn't feel that I needed to.

The Mario games have a fundementally sound design, a secure, controllable, playable and balanced backbone on which to build their game. If new characters are introduced in this development context, then it is not a problem because the essental game mechanics are there.

The character list in the OP is a reminder of the terribly misguided approach, utterly demented priorities SEGA has when it comes to Sonic game design. If they were at Nintendo, Miyamoto would have Chabudai Gaeshi'd their arse long ago.

Narcosis

I only know Sonic, Robotnik, Knuckles and Tails. My ignorance of all post-Genesis Sonic is I feel indicative of how Sega shit all over the franchise.

sonic
Dr.Robotnik
Tails
Amy
Metal Sonic
Knuckles
Charmee
Espio
Mighty
Vector
Fang
?