• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF: How many of Sonic's shitty little friends do you actually recognise?

Gagaman

Mama Robotnik said:
I didn't feel that I needed to.

The Mario games have a fundementally sound design, a secure, controllable, playable and balanced backbone on which to build their game. If new characters are introduced in this development context, then it is not a problem because the essental game mechanics are there.

The character list in the OP is a reminder of the terribly misguided approach, utterly demented priorities SEGA has when it comes to Sonic game design. If they were at Nintendo, Miyamoto would have Chabudai Gaeshi'd their arse long ago.
Again that's true, but when people seem to talk about how bad sonic has become, you all to often hear "shitty friends" more than anything, though that's the least of the series' troubles. I'm not disagreeing with you one bit, understand. making a Sonic game with literally just Sonic and Robotnik in it sadly wouldn't be enough to fix the series.

Koopalings > Baby Bowser though. Glad they're returning for NSMBWii.

Not looking at any of the responses, from top left to bottom right:

Sonic, Eggman, Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic, Knuckles
Charmy, Espio, Mighty, Vector, Fang/Nack, Heavy
Bomb, Mecha Sonic, Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Flicky, Ray
Witch (from Tails Sky Patrol), Commander of the Battle Cuckoo Army, Big, Gamma, Chaos, Tikal
Chao, Rouge, Shadow, Maria, Prof. Gerald, Vanilla
Cream, Omega, Cheese, Emerl, Gemerl, Blaze
Eggman Nega, Omochao, Black Doom (?), Jet, Storm, Wave
Silver, Elise, Mephiles, Marine, Whiskers, Johnny
Chip, Werehog, Prof. Pickle, Genie Lady, Evil Genie Guy, Void
Bean, Bark, Merlina (?), Black Knight (?), Excalibur (?), Froggy
Shade, Ix (?), Some random Tails Adventures enemy, Tiara, Fairy lady from Sonic Shuffle, What the fuck is wrong with that Chao

I guess even I can't name them all.

HUELEN10

Sega1991 said:
Not looking at any of the responses, from top left to bottom right:

Sonic, Eggman, Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic, Knuckles
Charmy, Espio, Mighty, Vector, Fang/Nack, Heavy
Bomb, Mecha Sonic, Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Flicky, Ray
Witch (from Tails Sky Patrol), Commander of the Battle Cuckoo Army, Big, Gamma, Chaos, Tikal
Chao, Rouge, Shadow, Maria, Prof. Gerald, Vanilla
Cream, Omega, Cheese, Emerl, Gemerl, Blaze
Eggman Nega, Omochao, Black Doom (?), Jet, Storm, Wave
Silver, Elise, Mephiles, Marine, Whiskers, Johnny
Chip, Werehog, Prof. Pickle, Genie Lady, Evil Genie Guy, Void
Bean, Bark, Merlina (?), Black Knight (?), Excalibur (?), Froggy
Shade, Ix (?), Some random Tails Adventures enemy, Tiara, Fairy lady from Sonic Shuffle, What the fuck is wrong with that Chao

I guess even I can't name them all.
Don't feel bad, I got stumped on 2 obvious ones.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
It's funny, I don't remember considering the Chaotix as "shitty friends" back in the day. But looking back, I guess they kinda started the trend. Charmy, Vector, Red Soni-- I mean Mighty; all pretty lame.

Espio's design is the only one of that batch that I actually like.

Gagaman said:
Again that's true, but when people seem to talk about how bad sonic has become, you all to often hear "shitty friends" more than anything, though that's the least of the series' troubles. I'm not disagreeing with you one bit, understand. making a Sonic game with literally just Sonic and Robotnik in it sadly wouldn't be enough to fix the series.

Koopalings > Baby Bowser though. Glad they're returning for NSMBWii.

Yes. I am tired of the phrase "sonic's shitty little friends"... it is beyond cliche at this point.
*cringe*

Okay this is seriously bothering me. Which one of those shitty friends is the one from Sonic Rush? Is it the one that looks like a hippy chick Sonic?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
-WindYoshi- said:
Yes. I am tired of the phrase "sonic's shitty little friends"... it is beyond cliche at this point.
*cringe*
One of the most apt phrases in all of game-dom. Deal with it.

HUELEN10

Son of Godzilla said:
Okay this is seriously bothering me. Which one of those shitty friends is the one from Sonic Rush? Is it the one that looks like a hippy chick Sonic?
Blaze is NOT a hippy chick...
23swt9g.jpg

HUELEN10

Ramune said:
Blaze was the best character introduced since Knuckles IMO.
Agreed. She's easily my favorite female character....

Scratch that, she's my Fav, tied with Sonic & Knuckles.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The first six, and then like nine more.

Fuck, this thread makes me want to play Sonic 3+K, and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (Godly games)

Time to go get the Dreamcast from the basement.

Wii Will Rock U said:
WRONG. The only right answer is Rouge.

Not for me.

281sh8y.png

Rouge's entire design screams, "I'm SUPPOSED to be SEXY!"

Which... ahem... orientation issues aside, the idea of a sexy Sonic the Hedgehog character is a little too far on the side of cartoon characters wielding realistic firearms and partaking in super-serious storylines. It represents everything Sonic the Hedgehog, in my opinion, should not be.

I'm a little indifferent about Blaze the Cat, though. I guess she's not really annoying, and she actually has a degree of personality, but I've slowly moved to the camp who would rather see a minimal cast of characters and as little plot as possible.

KevinCow

Banned
Sonic - Robotnik - Tails - Amy - Metal Sonic - Knuckles

Charmy - Espio - Mighty - Vector - Nack, ???

??? - Mecha Sonic - Mecha Knuckles - Mecha Tails - Flicky - ???

??? - ??? - Big - E102 - Chaos - Tikal

Chao - Rouge - Shadow - Maria - ??? - ???

Cream - E108 - Cheese - EMRL - ??? - Blaze

??? - Omochao - ??? - ??? - ??? - ???

Silver - Elise - ??? - ??? - ??? - ???

??? - Werehog - ??? - ??? - The boss from Secret Rings, fuck if I know his name - ???

Beat - ??? - ??? - ??? - ??? - Froggy

??? - ??? - ??? - ??? - ??? - ???

I hate myself, and I can't decide if it's because I know so many or because I missed so many.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Wii Will Rock U said:
WRONG. The only right answer is Rouge.
God no, Amy is the only female character that the series really needs. in fact, the top row is all that Sonic game every have any level of need for in terms of half-developed characters (and yet Sega insists otherwise). you have the Hero (Sonic), the Sidekick (Tails), the Female Interest (Amy), the Foil (Knuckles), the Dragon (Mecha/Metal Sonic), and of course the Big Bad (Eggman). everyone else just brings down the gameplay. if they're low screentime side characters/questgivers, then fine, but seriously, Sonic games need to focus on their design, not who to add. if it adds a new shitty friend, i wouldn't give a shit, so long as it was necessary to the design of the game. more often than not, the new shitty friends are nothing but tacked on or add nothing (at best).

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
How many of you who constantly make fun of Sonic's Shitty Friends could easily do any of the following:

Name more than 100 Pokemon

Name all the characters from more than one or all of the final fantasies

I could think of more, but I don't want to...

I'm defending no one, I think Sonic is as lame as the next manly person, but I just felt like pointing out how hopelessly lame we all are.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Kodiak said:
How many of you who constantly make fun of Sonic's Shitty Friends could easily do any of the following:

Name more than 100 Pokemon

Name all the characters from more than one or all of the final fantasies

I could think of more, but I don't want to...

I'm defending no one, I think Sonic is as lame as the next manly person, but I just felt like pointing out how hopelessly lame we all are.
You'd be surprised of how wrong you are.

shittyshittyshitshits.jpg

Sonic (Sonic 1) - Robotnik/Dr. Eggman (Sonic 1) - Tails (Sonic 2) - Amy (Sonic CD) - Metal Sonic (Sonic CD) - Knuckles (Sonic 3)

Charmy (Chaotix) - Espio (Chaotix) - Mighty (SegaSonic) - Vector (Chaotix) - Nack/Fang (Triple Trouble), Heavy (Chaotix)

Bomb (Chaotix) - Mecha Sonic (Chaotix) - Mecha/Metal Knuckles (Sonic R) - Tails Doll (Sonic R) - Flicky (Sonic 1) - Ray (SegaSonic)

??? - ??? - Big (SA1)- E102 Gamma (SA1) - Chaos 0 (SA1) - Tikal (SA1)

Neutral Chao (SA1) - Rouge (SA2) - Shadow (SA2) - Maria (SA2) - Gerald Robotnik (SA2) - Vanilla (Advance 2)

Cream (Mega Collection in art and the Advance 2 trailer) - E123 Omega (Heroes) - Cheese (Same with Cream) - Emerl (Battle) - Gemerl (Advance 3) - Blaze (Rush)

Eggman Nega/Robotnik Nega? (Rush) - Omochao (SA2) - Black Doom (Shadow) - Jet (Riders) - Storm (Riders) - Wave (Riders)

Silver ('06) - Elise ('06) - Mephiles ('06) - Marine (Rush Adventure) - Captain Whiskers (Rush Adventure) - Johnny (Rush Adventure)

Chip (Unleashed) - Werehog (Unleashed) - Prof. Pickle (Unleashed) - Shahra (Secret Rings) - Erazor Djinn (Secret Rings) - Void (Shuffle)

Bean (Fighters) - Bark (Fighters) - Merlina (Black Knight) - Black Knight (...) - Caliburn (Black Knight) - Froggy (SA1)

Shade (Chronicles) - ??? - ??? - Tiara (X-treme) - Lumina (Shuffle) - Chocola (Heroes)

Rlan

Oh come on, putting Tiara in that list is taking it a little too far. :lol

But realistically, Mario's probably had more characters if you consider all the Mario RPGs. Who could realistically expect people to remember Geno or Mallow? Kooper or Bombette?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
What depresses me is that I know almost all of them. D: The only ones I don't are the guy between WitchCart and Big, the one on the far right beside Captain Whiskers, the three between Bark the Polar Bear and Froggy, and the entire bottom row except for the pink thing from Sonic Shuffle.

I'm going to go weep with sorrow now. ;_;

GDGF

Soothsayer
Out of that huge image I only recognize Tails, Robotnik, Knuckles, and Shadow.

(And Sonic of course, but is he his own shitty friend? I think not.)

Stopped playing Sonic with Sonic Rush/Shadow the Hedgehog. I forget which came last. I can name around 40 of them.

Sega1991 said:
Rouge's entire design screams, "I'm SUPPOSED to be SEXY!"

Which... ahem... orientation issues aside, the idea of a sexy Sonic the Hedgehog character is a little too far on the side of cartoon characters wielding realistic firearms and partaking in super-serious storylines. It represents everything Sonic the Hedgehog, in my opinion, should not be.

That's exactly what I think. Amazing.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
voodoopanda said:

You think that's funny? Her maiden name is Vaginawitz.

I recognize very few, I've seen most of them in other threads, but couldn't place them. Only later character I can name is Blaze, and only cause she's awesome.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I know quite a few of them but there's no point naming them all since everyone else has done that with startling accuracy.

The interesting thing is the rate at which the characters have been introduced - the first 4-5 games started with just the top row of characters, then from that point on there's practically been a new row for every few games, then from that point, it's a new group PER GAME. It's like every single person associated with the Sonic games has had a go at introducing new fanfic-level characters to make their games interesting.

Whatever it is, it's pretty depressing that this is what constitutes the difference between the new games mostly rather than a genuine attempt to push aside new character creations (or alternate forms, in the case of Sonic the Werehog.)

DryEyeRelief said:
That's exactly what I think. Amazing.

If I ever see characters like Shadow the Hedgehog or Rouge the Bat again, it will be too soon.

I was genuinely disappointed to see Shadow make an appearance in Sonic & The Black Knight (as a playable character, no less). At this point, involving a character like that drudges up a lot of bad memories.

This is, I think, something Sonic Unleashed gets "right". People can complain about Chip or the Werehog all they want, but the cast of main/supporting characters is very small and it definitely focuses on Sonic being the star of the show first and foremost.

If the next Sonic game to follow Unleashed starts bringing back the characters that, like Shadow, drudge up bad memories of bad Sonic games, I'm going to be super bummed out.

HUELEN10

Sega1991 said:
If the next Sonic game to follow Unleashed starts bringing back the characters that, like Shadow, drudge up bad memories of bad Sonic games, I'm going to be super bummed out.
Sad to hear. I would love a new game with the entire main cast, as long as it is done right and keeps Sonic the star as you said Earlier.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I recognise far too many for someone who doesn't actually write Sonic fan fiction.

Yeah, Unleashed didn't have that large of a cast. Sonic, Tails, Amy, Robotnik were the only returning characters, with Chip and Professor Pickle being new characters. Pickle is a fairly inconsequential character, and regardless of how you feel about Chip, he probably won't be in another main game (outside of a cameo here and there).

Plus Knuckles and Shadow were going to be in it, but were cut.

The biggest step Unleashed took is that Sonic was the only playable character. Yeah, there was the Werehog, but that was only a form of Sonic. I think Sega is over the idea of having a bunch of new shitty characters steal the hero's spotlight, now if they could just get over having alternate gameplay modes, too.

Oh, and have Tails be Sonic's sidekick again. Where there was Sonic and Chip, it should have been Sonic and Tails. He's just a furrified Jimmy Neutron now.

I recognise far too many for someone who doesn't actually write Sonic fan fiction.
eh... I don't read/write any fanfiction, I knew almost all of them.

But that was mostly recognizing them. If you asked me how many characters I knew off the top of my head, I'd only come up with a dozen or so.

Top Bottom