• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Everyone's stuff looks so good. I've been so fucking busy packing and getting everything ready for my move that I haven't been able to make any progress on my game. I know for a fact it won't be done by the deadline at this rate.

yeah, I didn't think about entering the contest til it was too late... BUT I think ill be buying the game and learn it anyways. Seeing all this stuff makes me want to try it for sure!

Tommy Gun

Good catch! It's actually there, but it got cut off at the end because of the event script. Do you know of a better way to "clip" the dialogue at the right place? That little arrow is flippin' useless. I've had to go back and fix all kinds of dialogue.

uNDYVb9.jpg

Definitely this:
http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/6964-word-wrapping-message-boxes/

Link1110

Worked a bit more today... Doing balance and some gameplay. Trying to balance the encounters in the first town between "they exist" and "they're annoying." I usually wouldn't, but I want to have some gameplay and story integration, so I want the player to encounter one or two tops in there.

First dungeon is interesting. I've never made a dungeon with this many NPCs before, there are as many as I usually put in a town, but it is a workplace, so if I only put the character you're looking for it would look dumb.

All in all, I'm looking to polish this game to a shine. I'm impressed with the story and music, but I'm stuck with RTP graphics, so I want all the other factors to be perfect enough that the player can overlook that.

I did "add skill" on a piece of equipment, but that skill isn't showing up in the character's skillset.

Been putting this off but spent most of the day getting back in to it. Finally moved on to battle systems and such. I wanted to make it where you can see yourself and the enemies but decided for now to leave it as it. Especially to make it easier on myself since I'm not that great at making animations from the ground up.

I have one question if anyone can answer, is it possible to keep BGM going when switching between areas? Would it play continuously or would it restart once you enter a new map of the same area?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Been putting this off but spent most of the day getting back in to it. Finally moved on to battle systems and such. I wanted to make it where you can see yourself and the enemies but decided for now to leave it as it. Especially to make it easier on myself since I'm not that great at making animations from the ground up.

I have one question if anyone can answer, is it possible to keep BGM going when switching between areas? Would it play continuously or would it restart once you enter a new map of the same area?

It's easier than you think~ It will continue to play automatically between areas until you either have a command that changes the BGM or a command to fade out or stop the BGM.

If you made a command at the start of the game to play a song on loop, and no command to ever stop it, it would play the whole game.

Sectus

I'm making an RPG too! It has features like...

Day/night cycle!
fade3lfju4.gif

Riveting dialogue!
dialogue2oajxz.gif

... and it's not being made using RPG Maker so it wouldn't be eligible for this contest but eh!

SkyOdin

Good catch! It's actually there, but it got cut off at the end because of the event script. Do you know of a better way to "clip" the dialogue at the right place? That little arrow is flippin' useless. I've had to go back and fix all kinds of dialogue.

uNDYVb9.jpg

There isn't a good way by default other than heavily using the preview option. The font is different between the text entry box and the actual in-game text box, so the size of letters will vary between the two. The preview is 100% accurate though.

It's easier than you think~ It will continue to play automatically between areas until you either have a command that changes the BGM or a command to fade out or stop the BGM.

If you made a command at the start of the game to play a song on loop, and no command to ever stop it, it would play the whole game.

Oh awesome. Hadn't messed with music yet but was worried it wouldn't loop between areas. Thanks.

I thought I show some screenshots of some of my locations since I haven't really shown anything substantial yet.

tumblr_n7v4rddxce1s4tygbo1_500.jpg

^There's a weird line in the map that for some reason appeared randomly while editing :l

tumblr_n7v4rwq75X1s4tygbo1_500.png

tumblr_n7v4sfpGxy1s4tygbo1_500.png

Parallax Mapping is a lot of fun once you get it down. :)

ZServ

Next two weeks will be make or break for me. I'll end up releasing either the whole game as I originally envisioned it, or cutting it into "chapters" and polishing the first heavily. Hope to have awesome stuff to share soon. Everyone's stuff looks really good so far.

Especially your pudgy lil guy, timetokill.

BlackJace

The only real problem I see is me not being able to find modern, human battlers to act as enemies. Everything is fantasy monsters, or sorcerers and vampires...

I thought I might ask here since it is semi-on-topic:
Is there an easy way to rip sprite animations from old games? I want to study Marle's run animations in CT, but I can't find the assets anywhere on the web.

Totally missed this thread, but I picked up the RPGM package during the humble bundle, and this sounds like a great time. Even though hitting the deadline seems hard, I will give it a shot anyways, seems like a good summer project.

Anyways, I'm a game designer/ level designer with some experience making indie games, and some various skills (Design, Pixel Art, Music).

If anyone is interested in joining a team, I'd love to work with another artist (character, environment, both), and especially with a writer. Help in any department sounds awesome though.

Given my musical background, I'd also love to work on a heavily music influenced RPG (modern times, or perhaps with a Brutal Legend-style fantasy slant). Any takers?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just a brief prizes bump, but got over 200 games for the winning pool (right now at 206 games), so thought I'd post what I have so far. I guess we'll be closer to 300 than what I estimated, 200 games, but still have some more of the 'big' prizes to buy, and a few I need to rebuy as I gave them off to someone else.

With that said, here's what I currently have collected for the prize pool, will continue to expand all the way into September.

1953 KGB Unleashed
99 Levels to Hell
Abyss The Wraiths of Eden
Adventure Park
Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition
Alien Rage Unlimited
Alien Zombie Megadeath
Alpha Kimori 1
Alpha Protocol
Alter Ego
A New Beginning Final Cut
Anna Extended Edition
Anodyne
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Astro Tripper
Aura Fate of the Ages
Bardbarian
The Basement Collection
Beat Hazzard Complete
Betrayer
Binary Domain + All DLC
Blood Knight:
Bridge Constructor
Bully Scholarship Edition
Canyon Capers
Capsized
Cargo! The Quest for Gravity
The Cat Lady
Chaser
Chernobyl Commando
Chess The Gathering
Chompy Chomp Chomp
Clive Barkers Jericho
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising:
Combat Wings Battle of Britain
Creeper World 3 Arc Eternal
Critical Mass
Croixleur Sigma
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
CT Special Forces
CT Special Forces Fire for Effect
Dark Fall Lost Souls
Dark Shadows Army of Evil
Data Jammers FastForward
Day One Garry's Incident
Dead Bits
Deadly 30
Dead Space Pack (Dead Space 1+2)
Dear Esther
Deathtrap Dungeon
Dementium II HD
Desert Thunder
Disciples III Reincarnation
Doc Clock Sandwich of Time
Dracula Origin
Dreaming Sarah
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project
Edna & Harvey Harvey's New Eyes
Enslaved Odyssey to the West Premium Edition
Ether Vapor Remaster
Face Noir
Fallout New Vegas
Fearless Fantasy
FEZ
Final Slam 2
The First Templar
FootLOL Epic Fail League
Fortix 2
FTL Faster Than Light
Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD
Gateways
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
Gomo
Gone Home
Gray Matter
Grimind
Guardians of Middle-Earth & Smaug's Treasure DLC
Guilty Gear Isuka
Gun Metal
Gun Monkeys
Hacker Evolution Complete (Base, Untold, Duality)
Half Minute Hero
Hard Reset Extended Edition
Harvester
Hotel Collector's Edition:
How to Survive
Humanity Asset
Huntsman The Orphanage
I Am Vegend Zombiegeddon
Infinite Space III Sea of Stars
Inmomentum
Inquisitor Deluxe Edition
Ion Assault
Iron Grip Warlord +DLC
Jack Lumber
Jack Orlando Director's Cut
Jet Set Radio
Jets'n'Guns Gold
The Journey Down Chapter 1
Journey of a Roach
Killer is Dead
LA Noire Complete
Legend of Dungeon
Lightfish
LIMBO
Little Inferno
Little Racers STREET
The Longest Journey
Long Live The Queen
Lords of Football
Lume
LYNE
Magrunner Dark Pulse
Manhunt
Marine Sharpshooter II Jungle Warfare
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
Mata Hari
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3 & Rockstar Season Pass
Metal Planet
Metro 2033, Risen, & Sacred Citadel (One Key)
Miasmata
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion
Midnight Club II
Monaco
Muffin Knight
Nightmares from the Deep The Cursed Heart
Nosferatu Wrath of Malachi
Not The Robots
Obulis
Offspring Fling
Oknytt
Oniken
Overcast Walden and the Werewolf
Party of Sin
Plain Sight
Planets Under Attack
QuestRun
Realms of Arkania 1 Blade of Destiny Classic
Realms of Arkania 2 Star Trail Classic
Realms of Arkania 3 Shadows Over Riva Classic
Realms of the Haunting
Rescue Everday Heroes US Edition
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Revelations
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken
Rock of Ages
Rune Classic
RUSH
Sacraboar
Sanctum 2
Sang-Froid Tales of Werewolves
Serious Sam 3 BFE
Shattered Haven
Sherlock Holmes The Awakened
Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles
Sherlock Holmes Mystery of the Mummy
Sherlock Holmes The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
Sherlock Holmes Nemesis
Sherlock Holmes Secret of the Silver Earring
Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe
Skyward Collapse
Slender The Arrival
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
Soulbringer
Space Trader Merchant Marine
Sparkle 2 Evo
Spec-Ops The Line
Strategic War in Europe
State of Decay
Storm in a Teacup
Street Racing Syndicate
Strike Suit Zero
Subject 9
Super Killer Hornet Resurrection
Survivor Squad
Syberia II
System Shock 2
Thief Gold
Thief II The Metal Age
Thief Deadly Shadows
Time Gentlemen Please Ben There, Dan That
The Tiny Bang Story
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Tower Wars
Trauma
Unearthed Trail of Ibn Battuta Episode 1 Gold Edition
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Velvet Assassin
Vitrum
The Void
VVVVVV
Wanderlust: Rebirth
Weird Worlds Return to Infinite Space
White Noise Online
The Witch's Yarn
Wizardry 6 & 7
Wizardry 8
Woodle Tree Adventures
World War 2 Time of Wrath
X-Blades
Zach Zero
Zeno Clash 2
Zooloretto

.Anema

The RPG Maker games are allowed on platforms like Steam, GOG or something else?

Damn, i didn't notice the bundle and sale, I have a screenplay and RPG Maker seems perfect haha.

Link1110

Writing my level up system tutorial text (which is an NPC in every weapon shop.) Is it easy enough to understand?

Code:
Would you like to know how to build stats?

1. Just the short version
2. Get a little deep, but not too much
3. Gimme the nitty-gritty

Code:
1> Equipment comes in many different varieties. If you fight using different types of equipment, 
different stats will increase. Weapons, armors, and helmets each have three different types, which are
listed in their descriptions and raise different stats at different rates.

Code:
2> Weapons come in 3 types... You can see that blunt objects have a ++ on max HP and attack 
and a + on max MP and defense. That means that max HP and attack will go up quickly using them and
max MP and defense will also go up, but slower. Agility and intelligence will not increase at all from a
blunt object, but maybe you can balance out that flaw with an armor or helmet that builds them.

Code:
3> Weapons and armors build up "Stat EXP." this Stat EXP is what increases after each
battle you have them equipped. A weapon that has ++ on a stat gives you 7 Stat EXP for that stat.
A weapon that has + for a stat gives you 3 Stat EXP for that stat. An armor or helmet with a + on
a stat will give you 5 Stat EXP for that stat. Each random battle has a Stat EXP multiplier from 1-3
which multiplies all your Stat EXP by that multiplier depending on how much stronger or weaker
the enemy is than you. A stat goes up once you reach 100 Stat EXP in that stat.

Also, here's what stats each type builds.

Code:
			Weapons
Blunt Objects 	(1-50)
	MHP++		MMP+
	ATK++		DEF+

Blades 		(51-100)
	ATK+		DEF++
	AGI+		INT++

Staves		(101-150)
	MHP+		MMP++
	DEF+		INT++
----------------------------------
			Armor
Casual Clothes 	(1-50)
	ATK+		AGI+

Formal Clothes	(51-100)
	MMP+		INT+

Armor 		(101-150)
	MHP+		ATK+
----------------------------------
			Helmet
Helmet 		(151-200)
	MHP+		ATK+

Bandana 	(201-250)
	MMP+		AGI+

Hat		(251-300)
	DEF+		INT+

Well, I started out by scribbling different backgrounds, but then I ended up suspending that and using placeholders since I thought the visuals should come after other parts of the game. I'm actually a little nervous now, since we're only a month away.

Copons

Gosh, I'm starting to feel the pressure of both the deadline and the length of the game, so I'm already shaving some contents.

Considering the fact that games should be a couple of hours long, how do you guys are planning your dungeons (assuming your games have any, of course)?

In my original idea, there were going to be a dozen (small and straightforward) dungeons, that would have fairly fit my action-oriented game.
But then I noticed that with that many dungeons I just couldn't express as much plot and dialogues I wanted needed.
As combat in my game is just a pretext for some jokes, I just have to downsize it, but still this is leaving me with the doubt that now my game could be slightly unbalanced, as in "too much reading, too little action".

Agh, I'd totally love if my internet didn't suck so much, allowing me to upload betas more frequently for my testers to try. :(

Link1110

Gosh, I'm starting to feel the pressure of both the deadline and the length of the game, so I'm already shaving some contents.

Considering the fact that games should be a couple of hours long, how do you guys are planning your dungeons (assuming your games have any, of course)?

In my original idea, there were going to be a dozen (small and straightforward) dungeons, that would have fairly fit my action-oriented game.
But then I noticed that with that many dungeons I just couldn't express as much plot and dialogues I wanted needed.
As combat in my game is just a pretext for some jokes, I just have to downsize it, but still this is leaving me with the doubt that now my game could be slightly unbalanced, as in "too much reading, too little action".

Agh, I'd totally love if my internet didn't suck so much, allowing me to upload betas more frequently for my testers to try. :(

I'm not necessarily going for short. My game will have 11, which will probably take a while (I checked my FF7 guide for reference and that has 23, so yeah...) I'm cutting a few things I want, but I want to do a 2.0 of my game which will have original graphics and multiple paths, which I'm not even planning yet so I can get a version done.

Basically there's two factions and in the version I'm making you defeat them both, think the neutral path in a SMT game. The 2.0 will have the ability to side with one of them also, but again I haven't even begun to plan that because I want this version to be polished and amazing. I wanna win this. I even know some game industry people who I hope to show the game to. Who knows...

BlackJace

I have about 4 dungeons, 3 of which aren't necessarily long. Since my game takes place in a city, there aren't really any locales that necessitate a grueling trek through a dungeon.

No real puzzles either, except for a hedge maze in the Park dungeon.

reddmyst

Everyone's stuff looks so good. I've been so fucking busy packing and getting everything ready for my move that I haven't been able to make any progress on my game. I know for a fact it won't be done by the deadline at this rate.

Same here, I'm moving as well.

Copons

I'm not necessarily going for short. My game will have 11, which will probably take a while (I checked my FF7 guide for reference and that has 23, so yeah...) I'm cutting a few things I want, but I want to do a 2.0 of my game which will have original graphics and multiple paths, which I'm not even planning yet so I can get a version done.

Basically there's two factions and in the version I'm making you defeat them both, think the neutral path in a SMT game. The 2.0 will have the ability to side with one of them also, but again I haven't even begun to plan that because I want this version to be polished and amazing. I wanna win this. I even know some game industry people who I hope to show the game to. Who knows...

Yup, I'm probably gonna do a 2.0 too, at least, I'd like to create all art assets from scratch and not just the couple of backgrounds I'm gonna feature for the contest.

Also, holy shit, FF7 had 23 dungeons? It isn't all that surprising then, that I don't want to play it anymore! :D

I have about 4 dungeons, 3 of which aren't necessarily long. Since my game takes place in a city, there aren't really any locales that necessitate a grueling trek through a dungeon.

No real puzzles either, except for a hedge maze in the Park dungeon.

My game is more like an escape (from a great danger) across the world, so it has a somewhat bigger scope than a city (even tho, of course, it doesn't really matter).
Initially I planned to not have a world map, except for a couple of cutscenes, but the player actually had to explore tons of very detailed maps.
Of course the strict deadline (and the world cup, and steam sales, and and and :D ) forced me to change plenty of these things, and now I have a world map and like half or less "exterior maps".

No puzzles here too. Too hard to design them in such short time (for me at least).

Capra

Oh man you guys, enemies!

I feel like you can track my progress as I get better at spriting pretty easily. These guys were obviously pretty early.

Oh man, boss preview!

The environmental/tonal consistency of my game is kinda whack anyway so I'm just doing whatever pops into my mind. A lot of it is side references to things I like or just feel like referencing. And puns. Lots of puns.

I thought I show some screenshots of some of my locations since I haven't really shown anything substantial yet.

tumblr_n7v4rddxce1s4tygbo1_500.jpg

^There's a weird line in the map that for some reason appeared randomly while editing :l

tumblr_n7v4rwq75X1s4tygbo1_500.png

tumblr_n7v4sfpGxy1s4tygbo1_500.png

Parallax Mapping is a lot of fun once you get it down. :)

2nd one looks freaky cool. Is that a location floating out in the middle of space?

Evvvverrryyyybody RUNNNNN

zTGyfFE.gif
Thanks for finding my kids :)

Tommy Gun

I finished my game! I made it for the Indie Game Maker Contest, so I don't know if it can count for *this* contest, but I'd still love it if you guys checked it out. I made it in 30 days and have been recording vlogs every few days to show my progress, which I will compile into a “making of” video at some point soon.

I have a gameplay video so you can see if it's worth your time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jSQtX1lwb70

Story Overview:
On the day of your brother’s kidnapping, a malfunctioning wrist teleporter sends you into a time loop, forcing you to repeat the same day over and over again (in the vein of “Groundhog Day” or “Source Code”). Master skills, gather information, and socially engineer your way to his location. Can you break the cycle and save your brother’s life?

Recurrence-16.jpg

Recurrence-10.jpg

More info, download:
http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/558

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nice to see progress from others. I don't want to say I give up/will likely go over the deadline but if I don't pull my socks up I may have to. Drawing my own graphics wasn't as easy as I thought despite going for a simplistic style. Also swapping OSs to work on it can be a pain.

Still I'd like to at least put something together even if I can't enter it for the contest so I'll try to keep at it.

tensuke

I finished my game! I made it for the Indie Game Maker Contest, so I don't know if it can count for *this* contest, but I'd still love it if you guys checked it out. I made it in 30 days and have been recording vlogs every few days to show my progress, which I will compile into a “making of” video at some point soon.

Very interesting concept! Downloading it now, will give it a playthrough. Thanks muchly for the RTP-less download, too! :D

Pierate

Well, I'm out, I don't really have the time and even if I did I don't really have any sort of plan for the game. I might pick it up again later.

Either way, looking forward to seeing the results and trying out everyones games.

Link1110

Question: I own several rpg makers, I bought xp, vx, vx ace and I even bought 95 and 2000 when I saw them on eBay for collection sake (if I use anything from them I'll upload pictures of the boxes here). My question is this: can I use resources from other rpg makers in this game or am I stuck with only vx ace and it's dlc?

Just an update from me. Things came up which will dramatically cut into my time to work on this over the next few months. I won't be able to submit anything for the competition as a result. I'll still continue to work on it however, and post progress as I go on. I just may be a little late.

Top Bottom