• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

Copons

I'm going to play and stream these on hitbox!

Woah that would be great
even if you're not playing mine :p
!

I don't really know anything about streaming services, but as I'm on vacation and with an extremely crappy and unstable connection, does Hitbox have some kind of archive where I could watch your videos some days (like, a week) after your actual stream?

Woah that would be great
even if you're not playing mine :p
!

I don't really know anything about streaming services, but as I'm on vacation and with an extremely crappy and unstable connection, does Hitbox have some kind of archive where I could watch your videos some days (like, a week) after your actual stream?

Yes, and they won't be deleted after 14 days (Kappa)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Allowed an extra hour for those who might need it, not much but hope it helps some.

A little over 12 hours to go until submissions will be no longer accepted. I suggest even if you have only a partially complete game to release it, you can make mention you didn't complete it and submit what you have, sure people will be understanding.

I suggest those working hard think about wrapping up soon as well.

t1407484800z4.png

Copons

Yes, and they won't be deleted after 14 days (Kappa)

Great then! Can't wait to watch your vids! :)

Also, speaking of my game, I released a day-one-minus-12-hours patch! :D
I already edited the original post, but just for clarity in case someone already downloaded it, this is what happened and how to fix the bug:

Brodzilla

Download link
68MB, RTP not be required.
I've left the original project file inside, so make sure you run the .exe file to play the game, not the .rvproj2 one.

WARNING: here is the CORRECT Game.ini file. Just copy and paste it in the Brodzilla folder, replacing the old one. It basically removes the line with a reference to the RTP, which I forgot to delete, making the game not working without RTP; if you have RTP installed it should work fine with the old .ini file.
I'd upload the entire game again, but at the moment I've the worst internet ever and it would take me years to do, but I promise, as soon as I get back home, next week, I'll fix everything for real.

ZenaxPure

Also, speaking of my game, I released a day-one-minus-12-hours patch! :D
I already edited the original post, but just for clarity in case someone already downloaded it, this is what happened and how to fix the bug:

I forgot to do the exact same thing I believe. Will fix mine here in a bit.

Copons

I forgot to do the exact same thing I believe. Will fix mine here in a bit.

I actually didn't forget... :D

I removed the RTP line from the .ini in my working folder, then I created the compressed folder, I tried it and everything seemed to work fine (I renamed the RTP folder for this test, and no error was given).

Then a friend told me the game didn't work because it asked for the RTP, I went to check the ini, and here it was the RTP line again, appended at the end of the file.
So I guess when RPG Maker create the exe, it checks if the RTP line is missing from the ini and in that case it adds it again.

So, I don't really know how to create an exe with the correct ini, but I assume the exe is nothing more than an autoextracing zip, so I guess I could just zip my working folder, upload that and call it a day? :D

tensuke

Well, I hope I can finish in time! I kept putting it off because it needed a lot of scripting and I kept getting busy, so I decided to scrap what I had (which wasn't much) and started over with a new idea this morning. I suspect I'll be needing every minute of the time that's left! :p

sld

ZoDLzz1.png
0J2cqh3.png

Download links (size: 200 MB)

Dropbox

Mediafire

MY MISERABLE ISLAND VACATION

Made by Sebastian Lind / SLD (credited in-game as Super Seabass)

WHAT'S IT ABOUT?!

My Miserable Island Vacation is a story about James. He's just your average guy (although kinda geeky) that one day gets shipwrecked and washes ashore on a mysterious island. James quickly discovers that the island is threatened by a vulcano that could erupt at any minute, showering the entire place with lava. For some reason, everyone he meets thinks he should do something about it even though he basically just wants to go home. During the journey, James will meet two other characters that will assist him on his adventure.

9leVjli.png
Hd9Vgb3.png

OKAY... SO WHAT GENRE?

This is a very traditional game in classic J-RPG fashion. It's old school and unforgiving so you should probably save often. Although you're likely to see the Game Over screen a couple of times, progress and leveling is fairly rapid and as long as you stay alive you'll gain better stats and new skills at a fast pace. The battles are fast-paced, just like the early Dragon Quest games. Either you win quick or you lose quick.

SOMETHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW?

Well, if you've ever played any JRPG before then I think you'll be well acquainted with the basics. If not, then it could be a bit tricky. Just remember to closely examine all things and you will be rewarded. This game does not tell you everything flat out and it's not going to hold your hand.
The game contains up to 4 chapters and 2 endings, one normal ending and a true ending. It's up to you to decide if you want to continue exploring the island to find all its secrets.

PLAYTIME (rough estimate): Normal Ending ~120 minutes / True Ending ~180 minutes

sr1zzG1.png
ECAoVHO.png

KEEP IN MIND

–This is my first ever attempt at making a game. It's not a masterpiece, but if you find it at least a little bit entertaining then that's enough to make me super happy. :)
–The game is hard as balls if you don't spend some time leveling up. Make sure you explore the first village for gold, and always try to have your characters equipped with the best possible gear. There are several stores, but you have to look around to find them.
–Even though it's playable from start to finish, it's still rough around the edges. There are a lot of things I would like to add, tweak and improve if I continute to work on the game after the competition is over.

HOW TO PLAY

–Buttons used: Z/X + arrow keys
–Press ALT+ENTER for fullscreen
–Hold down SHIFT to run

4a8FhzY.png

CREDITS (in-game credits also contains special thanks, etc)

Game made by me. Engine: RPG Maker VX Ace. Some map layouts are the same as those found in the official RPGMVXA tutorial since I learned the basic stuff by following that excellent guide.

Additional Resource Packs: Zombie Survival, Futuristic Tiles, Arabian Nights

Pictures used (and modified with the help of superpixeltime.com): The Wreck (SS Vina) from Scolt Head Island, The wreckage of the American Star (SS America), Rough seas, Moelfre, Anglesey, Volcanoes of Colima

Additional Audio: Joel Steudler -- Town - Creepy Place (SH), D. C. Kairi Sawler – Night on the Sand, Cyrano – Never Surrender

Scripts used: Yanfly Ace Core Engine, Yanfly Ace Battle Engine, Yanfly Enemy HP bars, Yanfly Victory Aftermath, Yanfly Command Window Icons, Yanfly System Options, Playtime Window

PsionBolt

Welp, here goes nothing. I regrettably had to set aside my original project; it was just so far out of scope, I couldn't possibly finish in time. As it turns out, my second attempt, started about a week ago, was also too great in scale to completely finish - but, well, here's what I got. It is a complete game - just not nearly as good, or as content-ful, as it was in my head. But them's the breaks when your schedule is a week!

FedZHpF.jpg
OaEtpmU.jpg

The Very Best

Type of game: Plays itself. Think Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge, but with even less control.
Resources used: Enterbrain art + music; scripts and snippets from DiamondandPlatinum3, Galv, Woratana, PK8, Gambit, Yanfly, Brandon, modern algebra, Claimh, TheoAllen, PsionBolt

Synopsis:
The TVB Project. In short, it was a plan by the House of Commons to establish a new rulership for Talvenbu.
But the TVB system was not one of democracy. The TVB would play out as a contest.
All citizens who thought themselves worthy were free to enter, and the winner would become the new supreme ruler of Talvenbu.
TVB Participants were to do battle with one another. No conditions were set, with one exception: The loser of each battle must swear their loyalty to the winner.

Everyone in town is your enemy, but also your potential ally. Gather an army of 40 characters, and aim to be the very best.

Download:
With RTP (~200 MB)
Without RTP (~7 MB)

kn1ves24

Here is our submission....

The Last Willie

bhWa2hv.png

IJ6d8su.png

Created by Bl4ckSunsh1n3 and kn1ves24
What type of game: RPG with a dose of humor
Resources used:
Scripts from Yanfly, Jet, Rycochet Hyme, and some scripting of our own.
Music and assets mainly from RPGMaker and RPGMaker DLC. Some music is our own creation as well.

"An evil sorceress with a never ending hunger starts to devour the people of Earth. Our 'hero' stands up to her and is taken to task for it. He must face her wrath to have any chance of survival from this horrible event."

The game is focused on story and combat, with some exploration. It is a bit linear but, you have to figure out the line to take to finish.
It's designed to be accessible to everyone and doesn't require anything other than a little bit of thought to finish. Hint: Nothing is arbitrarily placed in the world.

Download: http://www.qbitgames.com

Also, just in case...qbit games is not an actual studio. It's just a domain the two of us have had for an indie game idea (that is unfinished) we've had for about 5 years now. The site is unused so we figured it'd be a good place to host this.

Just a little update. I managed to put together a package without the RTP data included.

You can grab the game from the link in the submission post or here are 3 direct links.

Direct link with RTP

Direct link without RTP

Dropbox link (RTP included)

Dusk Golem

Just a last minute reminder, if anyone wants to submit a last minute entry, do so within the next couple hours.

Unfortunately won't be submitting mine, since I have been out all day and couldn't even finish up. Only have the bad ending in and not even the most important part of the game in. I think I will finish it up eventually (after things stop popping up to interrupt me). I do look forward to seeing what you guys have made though. Grats to all those that finished their game.

SkyOdin

I'm pretty disappointed in myself. My brother and I have been working on a project for this contest, but failed to get it anywhere near done in time. I'd say we're probably only 50-60% complete on it; nowhere near close enough for either of us to really be comfortable showing it to the public.

Oh well, we'll just go ahead and finish it. There will be other ways to show it off. I'm just glad this contest came around and gave us the impetus to start this project, since I'm proud of how the concept has been working out.

Dusk Golem

I'm pretty disappointed in myself. My brother and I have been working on a project for this contest, but failed to get it anywhere near done in time. I'd say we're probably only 50-60% complete on it; nowhere near close enough for either of us to really be comfortable showing it to the public.

Oh well, we'll just go ahead and finish it. There will be other ways to show it off. I'm just glad this contest came around and gave us the impetus to start this project, since I'm proud of how the concept has been working out.

Yai, not bad to take time, just submit what you have I'd say~

Dusk Golem

Contest is now over. If anyone submits a game before I wake up in the morning I will accept it before I make the separate thread and update this topic, but once made I won't add anything.

tensuke

Contest is now over. If anyone submits a game before I wake up in the morning I will accept it before I make the separate thread and update this topic, but once made I won't add anything.

Thank you! I've been stuck uploading for a while, I've got like .3 up on a good day. In retrospect, it wasn't a good idea starting a completely new project the day before the contest ended! It's been a hectic day though, lots of fun even if I can't get the darn thing uploaded in time. I've definitely missed RPG Maker.

tensuke

Ok so it FINALLY finished uploading. It kept stopping and restarting so many times. T_T
Thanks so much to Dusk Golem for the competition and the slightly extra time! Anyway, yesterday morning I decided to do something different, quick, and painless. Here it is!

2CcN6Z6.png

Download Link: Zipped Project Folder, 47MB (requires RTP)
Compressed Gamedisk (RTP Included) 229MB
Compressed Gamedisk (RTP Required) 51MB

You play as EviLore, you have to rescue PlanetAGE from the Darkness that is enveloping it. It's...pretty light on content, so it shouldn't take very long to beat.
I really wanted to include a lot more (more members, more jokes, etc.) but I just wanted to have something done, so I can save that for GAF Quest 2.0. :p It does have three endings if you feel like getting them all.

Default RMVXA controls, Arrow Keys to move/choose options, Space/Enter to confirm/talk, Shift to run, and Escape for the menu, plus whatever is configured in the F1 menu. You can also use F5 to switch between full screen and windowed, and F6 changes the scale (It's 480x270, which scales up to 1080p with no black bars).

I've never used the random dungeon generator in VX Ace before, and I didn't feel I had the time to make good ones so I fired it up. They're pretty lacking as a result, I didn't know how bad it was. Make sure you make good use of the Shift key!

Also, because I did this in about a day or so it's probably going to seem rough in places, and I can't exactly speak for the balance! The low resolution will also throw you off because things will be smushed or cut out, but rest assured you don't really need to ever use the menu unless you want to save, so you'll be fine.

Credits:
Music:
Enterbrain
Music by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Graphics:
Enterbrain
NeoGAF
CocoDoco

Scripts:
Acezon, Fomar0153, Zeus81, Yanfly, TDS, FenixFyreX, Fênix

I'm going to bed now, if I forgot anything I'll check it out later today. I do plan to upload stand-alone gamedisk versions but this took like 6 hours to upload so I'll do those later. /snooze

*added two compressed gamedisks (thanks to 4G lol)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thank you! I've been stuck uploading for a while, I've got like .3 up on a good day. In retrospect, it wasn't a good idea starting a completely new project the day before the contest ended! It's been a hectic day though, lots of fun even if I can't get the darn thing uploaded in time. I've definitely missed RPG Maker.
Wow. That's pretty impressive.

You guys are awesome. I fucking FAILED at my attempt due to a sudden rush of contract work and flights :\ I'm going to play your games though.

Copons

Pretty sure both have it. :p

Dunno, every time I try to watch something on Twitch (like several hours after the stream), it always says that the streaming ended and is now offline or something.
I always blamed Twitch, even if secretly I believe is my laughable connection's fault. :D

Yeah both services archive streams - twitch does it up to 14 days now, Hitbox currently does it indefinitely. Both allow for highlights to be created, so I can separate the Streams into a highlight unique for each game. Highlights are currently saved forever on both services.

Copons

Yeah both services archive streams - twitch does it up to 14 days now, Hitbox currently does it indefinitely. Both allow for highlights to be created, so I can separate the Streams into a highlight unique for each game. Highlights are currently saved forever on both services.

Yup, I went to check a couple of minutes ago and I casually noticed a "past broadcasts" page on a random Twitch profile that kinda gave away the possibility of watching past broadcasts. :D

Copons

In case someone is interested, I've uploaded a
hopefully
fixed version of my game and I edited the post again.

I'm not linking this time, I don't want to spam everytime I find a new bug to fix, but I just want to ease Dusk's work for the contest thread! :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Now that the contest has ended, it's time to post a new version:

http://tempy.org/games/MurderMysteryMansion/MurderMysteryMansion.0.3.zip (13MB)

Code:
*** CHANGELOG
   - September 29, 2014
      - Version 0.3
         - Guests will notice something wrong in the murder room.
         - Hallway will be fogged out when entering a room.
         - Add emotion balloons.
         - Add new music from Cinematic Soundtrack pack.

*** TODO LIST   
   - Custom names.
   - More flavor text. Especially alibis.   
   - Portraits need replacing.
   - Replace all borrowed artwork.
   - Add confirmation dialogs.
   - Replace Title image.

bomblord1

Banned
Hey Gaf I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this but a large number of people here have been working in RPG maker and despite a fairly in depth search I couldn't find anything akin to an RPG Maker OT and I had a question about it.

I'm working on a game and I want to make it so after 3 in game days (I have a simple day night script running that tracks the number of days passed) a crop will be considered "grown" and will switch over it's graphic.

Now here's the problem I can't seem to find any way to compare 2 variables.

Basically the script should like this (it's a parallel process)

Set Variable 1 = currentday
Loop
Set Variable 2 = currentday

If variable 2 - variable 1 = 3
stuff happens
End Loop

How can I substract or compare 2 variables to see if 3 days have passed?

Thanks for any replies.

Edit figured it out solution is

Var1 = current day
Loop
Var2 = currentday
Var2 = Var2 - Var1
If Var2 = 3
Do stuff
End Loop

Top Bottom