• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, how come Sony didn't invest in any big 3rd party exclusives?

BigDug13

according to Syphon Filter the PS2 sold 106 m while the PS1 did 72 m.

the billions of dollars generated by the older systems after the start of the new gen are irrelevant because Sony and its partners are filthy rich.

the great games that debuted on the older systems are irrelevant since only early adopters deserve satisfaction.

the fact that the PS3 is thriving at expense of the Wii and its successor is irrelevant because Nintendo's console sold extremely well five years ago.

2008 is relevant while 2013 is irrelevant.

Wii sales collapsed years before the Wii U launch. Nowadays, the Wii U is trailing behind the GameCube.

And the PS3 is partially responsible (360 is doing a good job in NA)

PS3 ~ 2 (Wii + Wii U) YTD 2013

Nintendo is losing the seventh, the eighth generation, and if they don't wake up, they will lose their home console business.

So in pure console sales, the PS3 was a bigger success than the PS1.

Metzhara

I feel in some ways this is the smart move. I don't totally agree with the statement but ultimately Sony knows what its doing.

Why invest in securing a game like "Titanfall" when you A) make your own titles and they sell rather well and B) you let the risk fall on a company you are fairly certain only pays for TIMED exclusives. So basically you get all the success of the first game in your sequel, and you're GARAUNTEED people to buy your game when it's released.

It's a smarter move.

I wish that Microsoft would secure them legitimately or just have a few game studios doing more unique titles. Sure, I LOVE "Spark" but it won't have the appeal that a "RiME" or "God of War" has.
I think Microsoft falls victim to its "we listen to the public" mindset. "CoD" sells big, so they produce more FPS games and make deals for those. Sony sells critically successful games because they make these "almost nuanced" games. It's a shame really. -Adam

BigDug13

What the fuck? Care to try explaining again, I am not high right now.

I think he spread his butt cheeks and stuff started coming out. PS3 sold more consoles than PS1 and sold at least as much as 360 and probably more with how many heavy hitters they've laid out this year. Hardly a failure.

Look I get it ND are awesome but they are awesome precisely because they take time to make their games. The last time they made one within a set time, we got UC3 which is a disappointing follow up. ND even said they didn't give them-self room to breath with that game and it released 2 years after UC2. Having to manage 3-4 teams just seems too much for a studio that has more of a focused approach, it will realistically affect the quality of their work.

I think two teams is large enough for the time being really. ND have only expanded to two teams a few years back, I think they should bide their time with Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us 2 first and find their footing with PS4 development before expanding to another separate development team.

Still not sure why Sony didn't work with Square to keep FFXV exclusive as the rumors were flying.

Well, if Verendus was telling the truth about Sony Japan having at least one major JRPG in development (I think he said two?), maybe Sony would rather put that money into their own developments than pay extortionate amounts for timed exclusives.

Remember though guys, TitanFall is an EA partners game. Respawn owns the Ip. There is a big chance MS could come in and buy the studio and Ip if the game does well.

No, as has been discussed previously that won't happen, because Respawn split from Activision to regain their indepedence and they got a huge payout from Acti, so they don't need the cash and they don't need the funding as they've got EA footing the bills. It's a privately-owned company too, so it's not like MS can just buy the majority stake.

they were too late. the damage was done already over the years. catching up now doesnt matter since a new gen is about to start.

What?! The PS2 continued to sell for about 4 or 5 years after the PS3's release. The PS3 is now completely profit-making and will continue to sell for some time yet (particularly in places like South America, Eastern Europe and the Middle East I expect), while they'll probably struggle to make a profit on the PS4 initially, meaning the PS3 can and will pick up the slack. Claiming it's not longer important just because its successor is about to launch is fucking absurd.

not really.ps2 was a monster and ps3 had a tough time initially.

Yeah, because their strategy with the PS3 was always clouded and elitist (assuming it would sell no matter what they charged), whereas the messaging with the PS4 has been infinitely better from the start. Unless there is some epic fuck-up in the next six or eight weeks, there is absolutely no way the PS4 will struggle like the PS3 did in its early days.

prwxv3

I think he spread his butt cheeks and stuff started coming out. PS3 sold more consoles than PS1 and sold at least as much as 360 and probably more with how many heavy hitters they've laid out this year. Hardly a failure.

Its a failure in making sony a a tone of money but it is a huge success in rebuilding the brand, establishing strong studios and IP's, and establishing good will with the core. The PS4 would not be as hyped and anticipated if it were not for the Sony's great handling of the PS3 post launch disaster.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Its a failure in making sony a a tone of money but it is a huge success in rebuilding the brand, establishing strong studios and IP's, and establishing good will with the core. The PS4 would not be as hyped and anticipated if it were not for the Sony's great handling of the PS3 post launch disaster.

But didn't you hear, last gen doesn't matter. At least I think that is what he means. I am confused still.

Sony has Ubisoft telling us the PS4 is the best way to experience thier next gen titles.

Bungie shows off Destiny during Sony conference.

Blizzard announces support for PS4 (as well as other systems albeit at Sonys conference)

pretty sure they will be fine

Top Bottom