• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, Microsoft! Re-release The Movies already!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fact: The games are owned by Lionhead
themoviesknj7o.jpg

The Movies (c) 2002-2005 Lionhead Studios Limited

Fact: Microsoft owns Lionhead

Fact: Activision has already done the hard work as far as Steam is concerned due to its now-expired publishing agreement with the then-independent Lionhead
http://steamdb.info/app/7900/
http://steamdb.info/app/7910/

Fact: Microsoft can request access to the existing apps

In closing: do it, and in the interest of window dressing, here is the first screenshot I found on Google, which links to some random dude's review:

MormaPope

Banned
My best friend still has his physical copy.

Such a brilliant game, really fun to manage seriously, really fun to goof off and make hilariously dumb movies.

jakomocha

The Movies and its expansion pack are one of my favorite games of all time. Always wanted a sequel :'(. The custom movie maker is amazing, especially if you're a creative person.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Not sure why I never played this as it reviewed well at release but I'd buy it now. Hopefully MS stick it on GOG or Steam.

JaseC

They need to release Impossible Creatures and Space Simulator first.

Impossible_Creatures_cover.jpg

Relic retained ownership to Impossible Creatures so that ball is in MumboJumbo's court. But that being said, there is hope! MJ suddenly decided to release the uncensored version of SiN Gold on GOG earlier in the year.

Edit: Wait, according to the page I linked to, Nordic owns the game. Odd that this isn't reflected in the search result listing I'm apparently super blind and missed this when I searched for the listing.

Get in line behind Freelancer.

Nuh-uh!

I would buy it for sure. This one and Outrun are my most wanted in Steam.

And, if you can make a deal to make it Steamplay for WIN/MAC I would be even happier.

Courage

OP is referring to an already existing PC version that just needs to be pushed to the Steam store. You guys are advocating for a port which would cost significantly more investment on Microsoft's behalf.

I think more The Movies is a good idea in general.

Nokterian

I still have The Movies played the heck out of it. Don't know what happend to the community but i shared my films also and i loved it. Same goes to Black & White 1 and 2.

JaseC

Speaking of Black and White, what are the status of thos games Jase?

Similar to The Movies, they were published by another party (in this case EA) but have always been owned by Lionhead, so there's nothing preventing their re-release either, assuming they play nicely on modern systems by default.

Grief.exe

Similar to The Movies, they were published by another party (in this case EA) but have always been owned by Lionhead, so there's nothing preventing their re-release either, assuming they play nicely on modern systems by default.

I could go for some Black and White, I never got that far in those games when I was younger.

Same here. To those who've played it, just how much freedom was the player given on what kind of movies they could make?

Eh, not much. It wasn't like you have complete freedom to see your vision come to life. You didn't write a script or anything. You chose from a selection of genres you had available, actors you had on staff, costumes in your inventory, a limited number of sets and animations.

In the end, you're beholden to the movie critics in the game reviewing your movies well so you can take in enough revenue to stay in business.

That's my recollection of it at least. I never had much luck in taking the more custom route with my movies and it's been a couple of years since I've played it.

Top Bottom