• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey there poindexter. Read any good books lately?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Get a chance to check out Stormlight Archive yet? If so, what did you think?
Not yet. I just finished Between Two Fires. I'll be starting it next. I'll try and give some first impressions soon.

I really dug between two fires. It not only reminded me of Berserk but Devilman in a few ways. The basic gist of the story is that its set during the black plague and the people feel like God has abandoned them. It turns out he has! Because of that demons have been able to walk amongst mankind. Where is God? Why has he abandoned his people? I'll say no more than that. It's also a pretty simple read. A small cast of well-fleshed-out characters.

EDIT: I should add that the main thrust of the plot of between two fires isn't clear until about a quarter of the way through the book. The author really sets the stage with his world-building of how shitty everything is. People are starving. Corpses line the streets. Rampant crime. Our main female character is nearly gang-raped at the beginning. Very dark and brutal stuff. Give it a read IDKFA IDKFA

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not yet. I just finished Between Two Fires. I'll be starting it next. I'll try and give some first impressions soon.

I really dug between two fires. It not only reminded me of Berserk but Devilman in a few ways. The basic gist of the story is that its set during the black plague and the people feel like God has abandoned them. It turns out he has! Because of that demons have been able to walk amongst mankind. Where is God? Why has he abandoned his people? I'll say no more than that. It's also a pretty simple read. A small cast of well-fleshed-out characters.

EDIT: I should add that the main thrust of the plot of between two fires isn't clear until about a quarter of the way through the book. The author really sets the stage with his world-building of how shitty everything is. People are starving. Corpses line the streets. Rampant crime. Our main female character is nearly gang-raped at the beginning. Very dark and brutal stuff. Give it a read IDKFA IDKFA

I swear man, it's on my TBR list. It was really hard to get a physical copy of it, so I paid for the Kindle version.

I'm itching to start it. As soon as I'm done with Lord of the Silver Bow I'll get on it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Recently finished Brothers: Karamazov by Dostoevsky. For those that don’t know - It’s a 800 page behemoth and considered to be the best novel of all time by many literary critics and intellectuals.

It was a good book. Amazing in parts but VERY LONG WINDED. Not what if call a “fun read”. Holy shit. Also it had a very unsatisfying ending. I’m glad I read it - I learned a lot about Russian life in the 1800’s and how Christianity impacted the culture, and how deeply spirituality was embedded into Russian life.

There’s parts of the book that are transcendent in their beauty and their existential brilliance. I just wish it didn’t take 800 uneven pages to get there.

Anyone else read it?

Golgo 13

This is the current read (listen). Been interested in psychology and biology lately, especially how they interact.

What is your main activity while listening to Audiobooks? Driving, etc? I can’t absorb them effectively if I’m busy doing something else

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
What is your main activity while listening to Audiobooks? Driving, etc? I can’t absorb them effectively if I’m busy doing something else
Same here pretty much. Can't work while I'm listening. I can while driving if it's on an empty country road or something either, but definitely not in a busy area.

Things I CAN do while listening are:
  • Working out (weights and treadmill runs)
  • Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Eating
I've been working out a lot lately, and I live by myself, so I've been getting through 3-5 hours of an audiobook on most days just doing those things. I also sometimes just sit and listen. I've been a lot better about staying on top of dishes and cleaning since I picked up the audiobook habit.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Mountain in the Sea , Ray Nayler. Sci-fi. In the near future, hyper intelligent cephalopods are discovered throughout an archipelago. They are advanced enough to have developed their own language and culture. The story follows a scientist hired by a big corpo to study the octopuses, along with a few others in tow - including the world's first android. Various entities then begin competing over how to best exploit them and their advances.

Not only is it very well written and fascinating, but it's actually as much of a meditation on the nature of consciousness as it is typical sci-fi fare.

4/5. Near greatness for a literary debut.

The Mountain in the Sea , Ray Nayler. Sci-fi. In the near future, hyper intelligent cephalopods are discovered throughout an archipelago. They are advanced enough to have developed their own language and culture. The story follows a scientist hired by a big corpo to study the octopuses, along with a few others in tow - including the world's first android. Various entities then begin competing over how to best exploit them and their advances.

Not only is it very well written and fascinating, but it's actually as much of a meditation on the nature of consciousness as it is typical sci-fi fare.

4/5. Near greatness for a literary debut.
That sounds right up my alley. I am going to check this out.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Have begun the Gaunt's Ghost series from games workshop. I'm on Book 3 and its INSANELY good. Book 1 is "First and Only".

517Q+zRxfWL.jpg

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I'm thinking of getting into the books. Is The Horus Heresy a good starting point? I never got into any of the Warhammer stuff. I always wanted to though
I am an absolute 40k Lore Whore and even I can't tell you where to start. I would google "Warhammer reading order" if you want an outside opinion on the starting point.

If it was me I would direct you to a few different YouTube channels as a starting point to get you acclimated before you start spending money. But that is just me.

I am an absolute 40k Lore Whore and even I can't tell you where to start. I would google "Warhammer reading order" if you want an outside opinion on the starting point.

If it was me I would direct you to a few different YouTube channels as a starting point to get you acclimated before you start spending money. But that is just me.

Just looked it up

I was just told to jump in whatever storyline interest me the most

I guess I'm gonna to start with The Horus Heresy than :p

Thanks for the info!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Just looked it up

Thanks for the info!

I remember Vinny from Giantbomb / Nextlander gushing about that storyline back in the day, and he never struck me as a huge reader, so I always wanted to give that one a try as well. This thread just reminded me of that.

Nobody_Important

Just looked it up

Thanks for the info!
Good luck! Just be wary of Wiki dives. You could spoil some bombshells.

Its worth the wait otherwise!

Nobody_Important

Yeah I'm aware

I just looked up where to start with Warhammer and Warhammer reading order. The setting always interested me. Always seemed like a darker more adult version of Star Wars
You are in for what is in my opinion one of the best trips of lore in sci-fi fantasy.

Genuinely PM your thoughts. I would love to talk shop and would happily give context or answer questions without spoilers.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Recently finished Brothers: Karamazov by Dostoevsky. For those that don’t know - It’s a 800 page behemoth and considered to be the best novel of all time by many literary critics and intellectuals.

It was a good book. Amazing in parts but VERY LONG WINDED. Not what if call a “fun read”. Holy shit. Also it had a very unsatisfying ending. I’m glad I read it - I learned a lot about Russian life in the 1800’s and how Christianity impacted the culture, and how deeply spirituality was embedded into Russian life.

There’s parts of the book that are transcendent in their beauty and their existential brilliance. I just wish it didn’t take 800 uneven pages to get there.

Anyone else read it?

I agree. I will say though that the book gains with memory, and something just clicks.

A friend of mine loved all 300 pages of the trial scene.

Have you read The Devils? Great ending.

Golgo 13

I agree. I will say though that the book gains with memory, and something just clicks.

A friend of mine loved all 300 pages of the trial scene.

Have you read The Devils? Great ending.
I haven’t read The Devils, although at some point I might. From Dostoevsky I’ve read Crime And Punishment, Notes from Underground, and Brothers. I’d say out of all of them I liked Crime And Punishment the most. Strange thing though, for someone who’s so heralded in literature, none of his books are “enjoyable” to consume. They’re incredibly dark and complex and have great characters, but I think of his Dostoevsky like medicine - I’m consuming his work because I know it’ll be good for me, but there’s nothing enjoyable about the process.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I haven’t read The Devils, although at some point I might. From Dostoevsky I’ve read Crime And Punishment, Notes from Underground, and Brothers. I’d say out of all of them I liked Crime And Punishment the most. Strange thing though, for someone who’s so heralded in literature, none of his books are “enjoyable” to consume. They’re incredibly dark and complex and have great characters, but I think of his Dostoevsky like medicine - I’m consuming his work because I know it’ll be good for me, but there’s nothing enjoyable about the process.
Strange, I really enjoyed most of Dostoyevsky. BK and The Idiot were work though, as was the first part of the Devils. The end is pure fire though.

If you like Crime and Punishment make sure to check out The Trial by Kafka.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Currently reading The Wild Hunt by Emma Seckel (2022)

ruanrXb.jpg

The synopsis sounded interesting

The islanders have only three rules: don’t stick your nose where it’s not wanted, don’t mention the war, and never let your guard down during October.

Leigh Welles has not set foot on the island in years, but when she finds herself called home from a disappointing life on the Scottish mainland by her father’s unexpected death, she is determined to forget the sorrows of the past—her mother’s abandonment, her brother’s icy distance, the unspeakable tragedy of World War II—and start fresh. Fellow islander Iain MacTavish, a RAF veteran with his eyes on the sky and his head in the past is also in desperate need of a new beginning. A young widower, Iain struggles to return to the normal life he knew before the war.

But this October is anything but normal. This October, the sluagh are restless. The ominous, bird-like creatures of Celtic legend—whispered to carry the souls of the dead—have haunted the islanders for decades, but in the war’s wake, there are more wandering souls and more slaugh. When a local boy disappears, Leigh and Iain are thrown together to investigate the truth at the island’s dark heart and reveal hidden secrets of their own.

Rich with historical detail and a skillful speculative edge, Emma Seckel’s propulsive and pulse-pounding debut The Wild Hunt unwinds long-held tales of love, loss, and redemption.

Still early on but it's really good so far. Seckel can paint a picture using few words. I opted for the Audible integration since after a sale they were only about $9 together, and the voice acting on the audiobook is terrific. I am learning how to pronounce so many Scottish words I've been sounding out in my head incorrectly for years.

Last edited:
This book had a great premise, but horrible execution. This book was boring, poorly written, and worst of all, preachy. It takes forever to get started and then becomes chapter after chapter of juvenile musings on life and consciousness.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This book had a great premise, but horrible execution. This book was boring, poorly written, and worst of all, preachy. It takes forever to get started and then becomes chapter after chapter of juvenile musings on life and consciousness.

Shame you didn't like. It has a 4.18/5.0 rating on Goodreads with over 1,000 reviews. First time I've heard someone consider it "preachy", that's interesting.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Currently reading The Wild Hunt by Emma Seckel (2022)

ruanrXb.jpg

The synopsis sounded interesting

Still early on but it's really good so far. Seckel can paint a picture using few words. I opted for the Audible integration since after a sale they were only about $9 together, and the voice acting on the audiobook is terrific. I am learning how to pronounce so many Scottish words I've been sounding out in my head incorrectly for years.

I am halfway through and the story has stalled a bit. Losing interest, but persevering in the hopes the potentially supernatural aspects kick back in....

IDKFA

I keep forgetting about this thread. Next year I'm going to post every book I read.

Anyway, half way through this astrobiology book. It's......okay? If you're expecting a deep dive into possible alien biology then you might end up disappointed.

The theory of the book is that just like there is a law of physics, there is also a law of nature. This means that life on Alien worlds should evolve the same way as on Earth. The book then looks at different aspects of life on Earth, and looks at how this works on Earth and how it would be applied to different Alien environments. The book is okay, but it's more about the evolution of life on Earth than actual astrobiology. 6/10 so far.

RhKuA7a.jpg

About 247 pages into La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust Book 1) by Philip Pullman

About past halfway through the book

I had to put it down since my eyes were hurting. I'll be finishing this book in 1 to 2 days

So far it's fantastic

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Hey, book readers. Got any recommendations for me? I'd like to read the wisdom of some historical deep-thinkers but not sure where to start. Something that's got life advice that's applicable no matter the century. Stuff that's actually applicable to real life (i.e., miss me with Hegelian dialectics or whatever).

I've never read Marcus Aurelius or Teddy Roosevelt's stuff--would those fit? What should I start with?

The Secret Commonwealth: A+ (The Book of Dust Volume 2)

Fantastic book. The Book of Dust Trilogy is turning into a much darker adult read than I expected. Also reading about Lyra in her 20s was something that I had to get used to at first. I can't wait for the third book.

BmM6Uhv.jpg

These are my 2023 Plans when it comes to reading

BOOKS/MANGA/COMICS

1. Remembrance of Earth's Past (2006-2010) by Cixin Liu
2. Star Wars The Thrawn Trilogy
3. Full Metal Panic! Series
4. The Wind Through The Keyhole By Stephen King
5. Horus Rising (Book 1 of The Horu Heresy, Warhammer 40k)
6. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams
7. The Kingkiller Chronicles
8. The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time Book 2)
9. Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse Book 1)
10. Gardens of The Moon (Book 1 of Malazan)
11. The Orc King (Transitions Trilogy Book 1)
12. The Pirate King (Transitions Trilogy Book 2)
13. The Ghost King (Transitions Trilogy Book 3)
14. Les Miserables
15. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier And Clay
16. The Talisman By Stephen King
17. Black House By Stephen King
18. Devil In The White City
19. Serpentine
20. Special Topics In Calamity Physics

1. Berserk
2. Blood On The Tracks
3. Bone Collection
4. Boruto
5. Chainsaw Man
6. Choujin X
7. Dandadan
8. Dr Stone
9. Gigant
10. Gleipnir
11. Hunter x Hunter
12. Kouishou Radio
13. Made In Abyss
14. My Hero Academia
15. One Piece
16. Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai
17. Redo of Healer
18. Rent A Girlfriend
19. Spy X Family
20. The Land Of The Lustrous
21. To Your Eternity
22. Welcome To The Ballroom
23. Yomi no Tsugai

1. Alien Omnibus
2. Fantom
3. XO Man O War
4. Monstress
5. Star Wars Legacy
6. Star Wars The Old Republic

Jaybe

Hey, book readers. Got any recommendations for me? I'd like to read the wisdom of some historical deep-thinkers but not sure where to start. Something that's got life advice that's applicable no matter the century. Stuff that's actually applicable to real life (i.e., miss me with Hegelian dialectics or whatever).

I've never read Marcus Aurelius or Teddy Roosevelt's stuff--would those fit? What should I start with?
8al1gY5.jpg

IDKFA

I would highly recommend the writings of Marcus Aurelius. As you can see from my avatar, he is somebody who has been extremely influential in my life and was my gateway into studying philosophy.

In terms of giving you life advice, well that depends on how you interpret his writings. You need to remember these are the internal thoughts of a Roman Emperor from over 1800 years ago. Marcus Aurelius never intended this to be a published collection of his thoughts. Some of the lines are easy to understand and apply to the 21st century, some however make little to no sense and are difficult to unpack.

My personal favourite line comes from book 9, line 33:

All things you see will quickly perish; and those, who behold them perishing, will themselves also quickly perish: and he who died in extreme old-age, will be in the same condition with him who died early.

Enjoy and I hope you get as much joy from it as I did and still do.

started "Perfume: The Story of A Murderer" yesterday. i'm about 45% through it. just at the start of Part 2.

discovered it because of that Nirvana song. it's been on my to read list for a while but kept seeing it mentioned recently so got more interested to read it. got gifted some money at christmas and it was one of the kindle books i bought.

so far i'm liking it. at times it's creepy and disgusting but it's a good read. didn't realise there was a movie based on it so i'll watch that after i finish the book. there is also "The Perfumier" on Netflix which says it's inspired by it but I don't know if it's a full on adaptation of the book or it's a kind of spin off.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Just finished this and it was surprisingly very average considering Dan Jones is normally on point for his history books. I didn't like how it ended at Richard II, with the last five Plantagenet Kings get a very brief overview in the conclusion section. Also, some of it is out of date, such as the reputation of Edward of Woodstock.

6/10

Would only recommend if you know absolutely nothing about this period of English History.

X8CTMLE.jpg

IDKFA

DRkYp5t.jpg

After reading a Dan Jones history book, I thought I'd dive into his first novel. A story about a group of soldiers called the Essex Dogs who fight in Crecy campaign (1346) for England during the Hundred Years War.

This is, without a doubt my favourite period in history and with Dan Jones being such a medieval expert, I was expecting big things. I was expecting something on level of Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest series, which is one of the greatest stories I've had the pleasure of reading.

How wrong I was. This was absolutely shite.

First, Dan Jones has clearly been playing too many video games. The first 250 or so pages are just the main characters doing random fetch quests from different towns and cities. Early in the book they're told to go to a town and clear out some rebels, then once that's complete their told to go to another town to collect some heads from the walls, then to another town to do xyz......you get the point. It's last and unimaginative story telling that I'd expect in a western RPG.

Then there are the plot holes. Some of them are bizarre. The Dogs have a Scottish member who's originally called Scotsman. In the first few pages he's told to keep his voice down around the nobles because if they hear he's Scottish then they'll hang him. That's completely forgotten about later in the book where this Scottish guy is talking to English lords like they're best mates!

The battle scenes are boring and short. The battle of Crecy should be the main action set piece of the book, but it's far to short and about as exciting as getting sucked off by a homeless bum.

There's a odd story line of two of the characters getting hooked on some form of medieval cocaine, which is just nonsense. One character gets hooked by having it rubbed on his gums a few times. He then goes feral when the cravings set in, acts like a dog and chews some guys nose off! It's supposed to be dramatic and shocking, but just came across as comical and bizarre.

Dan Jones does the Black Prince dirty. He's made the Black Prince out to be an absolute basic bitch. A pure evil, vindictive, selfish drugged up beta male. Absolutely no evidence of this at all and something Dan Jones admits he made up for shits and giggles.

I could go on, but I don't have the energy.

Essex Dogs is dog shit. I'll give it 2/10 because some of the dialogue made me chuckle.

Billbofet

Not sure why, but I picked up my copy of Cujo a couple weeks back and I'm almost done.
It's not top-tier King, but I am digging it again. It's one of those books with pics from the movie in the middle, so I like to look at the movie characters and picture them as I read.
Don't think I've read the book ever prior to seeing the movie, so I always associated Dee Wallace as the mom and the kid from Who's the Boss as Tadder.
Treating myself to a rewatch of the movie when I'm done.

Lasha

I just finished Chessays: Travels through the world of Chess. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63943467-chessays

I found the book to be quite enjoyable. Burton thoroughly skewers the chess orthodoxy in his exploration of the game. Burton overuses footnotes. Most of them are just snarky asides or commentary that heavily dates the book to it's era. Nevertheless I recommend it highly as a well-paced enjoyable outsiders look at Chess.

My next book is Carnage and Culture. https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/177766

I heard that the author chose the battle of Roarke's drift as one of the major engagements. I'm a sucker for any media about the Zulu war.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
4yGlsmH.jpg

On chapter three. As he often does King spent an entire chapter and a half writing setup that may serve as foreshadowing, or may not factor into the story at all - time will tell. But here in chapter three something is finally happening. The premise sounded pretty good. Fingers crossed.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I just finished The Devils of Loudon by Aldous Huxlex. Never read Huxley before. He took an interesting story and made it very tedious.

Nobody_Important

Just going to throw this out there for anyone Warhammer fans on the fence about the Arks of Omen books.

They.

Fucking.

ROCK.

60030102026_ArksOmenBook1.jpg

Just going to throw this out there for anyone Warhammer fans on the fence about the Arks of Omen books.

They.

Fucking.

ROCK.

Sometime ago I read about the augmentations and things in Warhammer on a GAF post and it really got me into it based on my love for Spartans in Halo. Badass, might have to check this out.

98 pages in and the book is good so far

I've been reading on Kindle

I'm 7% through this book and think you might like it - "The Thrawn Trilogy 3-Book Bundle: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy - Legends)" by Timothy Zahn.

Start reading it for free: https://a.co/9YSHqVh

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
4yGlsmH.jpg

On chapter three. As he often does King spent an entire chapter and a half writing setup that may serve as foreshadowing, or may not factor into the story at all - time will tell. But here in chapter three something is finally happening. The premise sounded pretty good. Fingers crossed.
Could you let me know how this turns out? I'm curious but not to the point of bumping one of the other books out of my backlog.

Top Bottom