• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey there poindexter. Read any good books lately?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
81Z6IJKAYFL.jpg

Fantastic biography. I am well versed in this period, but was pleasantly surprised to learn a lot from this book, especially around the complex subject of Islamic poetry.

Highly recommended.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I listened to the first audiobook on a roadtrip a few years back and can comfirm it was fun. Never got around to the others.

Sorry for the double post, but this has to be said.

The Red Rising series is one of those rare series where each new book surpasses the one before it. Some of the action scenes in the sequel books.......lord have mercy........this is some of the best action I've ever read.

Read the rest of them......now!

BigBooper

Sorry for the double post, but this has to be said.

The Red Rising series is one of those rare series where each new book surpasses the one before it. Some of the action scenes in the sequel books.......lord have mercy........this is some of the best action I've ever read.

Read the rest of them......now!
I've had the second audio book on audible for a while, and a long drive next week. Ya'll have convinced me of what I should listen to.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
About halfway through The Miracles of Namiya General Store by Keigo Higashino at the moment. It started out as comfy, light reading, but has been getting increasingly somber as the story has progressed so far.

After that, I'm planning to read Enamu Elish (Mesopotamian creation myth). I heard that the Old Testament borrowed a fair bit from it, so I'm curious to see how they line up. Also, Tiamat is in it, and I'd like to learn about her myth and not just associate her with a summon in Final Fantasy. =p

Tenaciousmo

I finally got around to buy and read Animal Farm. It had been in my saved for later amazon list.

I was a little shook by parallels I was making with current events in and around politics. Quite the interesting read and I don't know if identifying as Benjamin is a wake up call for me or not..

Hot take: the book is fantastic and it's analogy are still on point today, almost 80 years later.

Ordered 1984 just as i finished it.

Currently Still slowly chipping at "The king In Yellow" one story at a time in between books. I find those stories are better suited as intermission rather than continuous reading

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I do a lot of driving, so I’ve been catching up on Audiobooks. I’ve finished a handful. A couple about the console wars of the 90’s. I was in the middle of Console Wars by Blake Harris, but hearing about how cutthroat some of the top executives at Nintendo/Sega acted got a bit disheartening. They were just business men, exploiting their potential. Outside of that, it has a ton of in-depth conversations and stories about Sega and Nintendo. I listed to “All Your Base” and I stopped listening when they talked about the great future of the Kinect. Lol I just recently finished “The Sandman” by Neil Gaiman. It’s dramatized and very good. Each actor played out the story very well. It felt on par (if not better) than the graphic novel.
61CEI+8TpdL._SL500_.jpg

I really like Stephen King. I have a eBook of “If It Bleeds” and I’m in Chapter 4 of “Doctor Sleep” audiobook. I didn’t jump in when Doctor Sleep (the film) was brought up. I’m enjoying it. I enjoy how he speaks through the eyes of an addict, someone with a monkey on their back. His words are clever and they can certainly make me feel like I am the character he’s writing about.

ESPOMAN

I have about 80 pages left in Misery. I hope to be able to finish that tonight though that may be tough. Next I think I will read 11/22/63 then maybe The Stand. I also want to read Dune but I do not have it.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
51BEJ048H8L._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Started this today and I'm about 180 pages in so far. Really enjoying it. Just love how Wodehouse plays with language in it. Its plot revolves around golf-loving American composer George Bevan who falls in love with a mysterious young lady who takes refuge in his taxicab one day. When he later tracks her down to a romantic rural manor, mistaken identity leads to all manner of brouhaha.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
TIL that I am a slow reader.

I just had a lazy Sunday and read for about four hours straight. I probably could have read it in one sitting if I started it a little earlier. I didn’t start it till about 2pm and stopped just after 6pm. Will read the last 100 or so pages tomorrow morning. May start a new book tomorrow night, but may wait a day or two too.

BigBooper

51BEJ048H8L._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Started this today and I'm about 180 pages in so far. Really enjoying it. Just love how Wodehouse plays with language in it. Its plot revolves around golf-loving American composer George Bevan who falls in love with a mysterious young lady who takes refuge in his taxicab one day. When he later tracks her down to a romantic rural manor, mistaken identity leads to all manner of brouhaha.
I'm gonna add this to my shortlist. Already have it on my reader. Thanks

Tschumi

I've recently read to a bunch of John le Carre and Frederick Forsyth books.. ultimately i find i prefer Forsyth.. a bit more cold hard reality... I'm reading through Dogs of War for the second time at the moment.

Aarbron

I recently read again, Astropolitik. It is somewhat rare to find (have two copies here though), but if you can find it or grab it from your local library, please do so!

astropolitik.webp

A no nonsense, dry academic book on space and how geopolitics relates to the space age. I know a lot of Gaffers, judging by the interest in SpaceX and the US Space Force, have an interest in outer space. So you might find it interesting.

I first read this book some 15 years ago. Just recently had another read of it, and amazed me how ahead of its time it was when first published. In essence, it explores the geopolitics of space. Or in the author's own words:

"the study of the relationship between outer space. terrain and technology and the development of political and military policy and strategy."

It does have a realist view of the world. Even if you are leaf leaning in your ideological views, I highly recommend it!

Tesseract

Banned
not a whole lot right now, waiting for the next book club

been flipping through -->

An Architectural Approach to Level Design
Book by Christopher W. Totten

Level Design: Concept, Theory, and Practice
Book by Rudolf Kremers

Level Design: Processes and Experiences
Book by Christopher W. Totten

The Art of Game Design
Book by Jesse Schell

Level Design for Games: Creating Compelling Game Experiences
Book by Phil Co

Preproduction Blueprint: How to Plan Game Environments and Level Designs
Book by Alex Galuzin

Quake Level Design Handbook
Book by Matt Tagliaferri

Tenaciousmo

I just had a lazy Sunday and read for about four hours straight. I probably could have read it in one sitting if I started it a little earlier. I didn’t start it till about 2pm and stopped just after 6pm. Will read the last 100 or so pages tomorrow morning. May start a new book tomorrow night, but may wait a day or two too.
still. maybe it's because most of my reading is at work where i still need to be somewhat conscious of my surroundings, but 180 pages would take me 7-8 hours easily

Last edited:

BigBooper

I've been slowly grinding through Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian, but it's slow going. It focuses heavily on nautical terms from the 1800s and extremely verbose minutiae of daily life. I will keep chipping away at it for now, but I'm not exactly enjoying it at the moment.

I have started the audiobook of Golden Sun. I am about a third of the way through and enjoy it so far. I have another trip next week, so I will save it until then.

On the lighter side, I've read a Peanuts comic and some Cerebus recently.

Tesseract

Banned
anything mind rending out right now?

immediate interests -->

high energy physics, optical cr, endoradiology (spect?), money and investment ...

Tenaciousmo

I've been reading john hersey’s hiroshima at work, had to drop it for a few days because it is horribly well written. now at the last part, I'm looking forward to finishing it tomorrow.

Almost done with "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins. Audiobook version where him and the narrator talk about it in the middle of chapters. Really inspiring stuff. He really puts an emphasis on the mental toughness needed to achieve great things.

I'll probably be starting "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens next.

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

I've been reading john hersey’s hiroshima at work, had to drop it for a few days because it is horribly well written. now at the last part, I'm looking forward to finishing it tomorrow.
Finished it this morning. gonna be reading silver surfer parable/ "the kitchen book-The cook Book" double thing by Nicolas Freeling next.

Is there any tip to read faster or is it a muscle to be trained type thing?

PG Wodehouse's
Is he worth reading ? where should I start at if so? yes spoonfeed me the answer please.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Finished it this morning. gonna be reading silver surfer parable/ "the kitchen book-The cook Book" double thing by Nicolas Freeling next.

Is there any tip to read faster or is it a muscle to be trained type thing?

Is he worth reading? where should I start at if so? yes spoonfeed me the answer, please.

I think if you're a fan of British humour you will like him. This is a very handy guide, and these are fantastic editions to pick up, they're hardcovers that about the size of a standard paperback. Just note that he has written about 90+ books.

GodofWhimsy

"Shoe Dog" by Phil Knight (and Indeed about the rise of Phil Knight), is probably the best autobiography I've read. It's very... Raw. No smoke and mirrors here. It let's you in the head of one of the most successful business guru's of all time.

I especially liked how it exposes that these super successful business people are as vulnerable as you and I (or at least once were). A lot of their success came through luck, restless nights, and life-altering financial risks. Phil Knight especially is super relatable. Just your average over-achieving introvert who struck gold with "Nike".

Highly recommended for wannabe entrepreneurs. It's very mind opening, and taught me a lot whilst entertaining me immensely. Also gave me a weird appreciation for runners...

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm currently reading 12 Rules For Life by Jordan Peterson. I know he has a bit of a reputation and people like to scoff, but honestly, I'll take all the help I can get.

I really need to return that book to the library.

I just bought the new Jim Butcher book called Peace Talks and the Mars Triloly by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Invader Summer and A Wind Named Amnesia by Hideyuki Kikuchi (they're novels, not manga).

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Re-read Nightshift and Everything's Eventual by Stephen King.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Invader Summer and A Wind Named Amnesia by Hideyuki Kikuchi (they're novels, not manga).

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Re-read Nightshift and Everything's Eventual by Stephen King.

I was in my local bookstore the other day and saw a new hardback edition of Watership Down and I was really tempted to buy it, the song Bright Eyes starting playing in my head and I felt uneasy.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I was in my local bookstore the other day and saw a new hardback edition of Watership Down and I was really tempted to buy it, the song Bright Eyes starting playing in my head and I felt uneasy.
Go back in and buy it, mate. It's better than the movie or the song by the band America from the late 70's.
If you want the best of pre-mainstream Stephen King read Nightshift...some of those short stories are gold.

"Jerusalem's Lot" Previously unpublished
"Graveyard Shift" October 1970 issue of Cavalier
"Night Surf" Spring 1969 issue of Ubris
"I Am the Doorway" March 1971 issue of Cavalier
"The Mangler" December 1972 issue of Cavalier
"The Boogeyman" March 1973 issue of Cavalier
"Gray Matter" October 1973 issue of Cavalier
"Battleground" September 1972 issue of Cavalier
"Trucks" June 1973 issue of Cavalier
"Sometimes They Come Back" March 1974 issue of Cavalier
"Strawberry Spring" Fall 1968 issue of Ubris
"The Ledge" July 1976 issue of Penthouse
"The Lawnmower Man" May 1975 issue of Cavalier
"Quitters, Inc." Previously unpublished
"I Know What You Need" September 1976 issue of Cosmopolitan
"Children of the Corn" March 1977 issue of Penthouse
"The Last Rung on the Ladder" Previously unpublished
"The Man Who Loved Flowers" August 1977 issue of Gallery
"One for the Road" March/April 1977 issue of Maine
"The Woman in the Room" Previously unpublished

Strawberry Spring is probably the only boring one in the whole book. Gray Matter and I Am the Doorway should have been made into movies.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Go back in and buy it, mate. It's better than the movie or the song by the band America from the late 70's.
If you want the best of pre-mainstream Stephen King read Nightshift...some of those short stories are gold.

"Jerusalem's Lot" Previously unpublished
"Graveyard Shift" October 1970 issue of Cavalier
"Night Surf" Spring 1969 issue of Ubris
"I Am the Doorway" March 1971 issue of Cavalier
"The Mangler" December 1972 issue of Cavalier
"The Boogeyman" March 1973 issue of Cavalier
"Gray Matter" October 1973 issue of Cavalier
"Battleground" September 1972 issue of Cavalier
"Trucks" June 1973 issue of Cavalier
"Sometimes They Come Back" March 1974 issue of Cavalier
"Strawberry Spring" Fall 1968 issue of Ubris
"The Ledge" July 1976 issue of Penthouse
"The Lawnmower Man" May 1975 issue of Cavalier
"Quitters, Inc." Previously unpublished
"I Know What You Need" September 1976 issue of Cosmopolitan
"Children of the Corn" March 1977 issue of Penthouse
"The Last Rung on the Ladder" Previously unpublished
"The Man Who Loved Flowers" August 1977 issue of Gallery
"One for the Road" March/April 1977 issue of Maine
"The Woman in the Room" Previously unpublished

Strawberry Spring is probably the only boring one in the whole book. Gray Matter and I Am the Doorway should have been made into movies.

Art Garfunkel sang the song Bright Eyes, America did the soundtrack for The Last Unicorn, and I'm a huge Stephen King fan and have been collecting his books since the mid-90s. I actually bought a load of his books in hardback in a car boot sale in South Wales, they were all like £2 or £3 each.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Art Garfunkel sang the song Bright Eyes, America did the soundtrack for The Last Unicorn, and I'm a huge Stephen King fan and have been collecting his books since the mid-90s. I actually bought a load of his books in hardback in a car boot sale in South Wales, they were all like £2 or £3 each.
America was originally going to do some songs for Watership Down but they were passed to someone else. However, Warner Bros. Deutschland were the ones to approach them about making a few songs for the Last Unicorn. They pulled it off fairly well.

Likewise, I've been a Stephen King reader since the 90's. Great that you can find them. I can always point King fans in the right direction toward great novels and such that he wrote. The newer material was feeling flat to me and then he wrote Doctor Sleep...so...he is still gifted in writing.

appaws

Banned
JkNBLpg.jpg

Considered the best book on this era. Tough as an American with no background in Spanish history, even though I have a history PhD. I don’t know a lot of the references. Might try a general history of Spain next. Franco was surprisingly Un-Chad like.

Tenaciousmo

51%2BLbl%2BaZ9L._AC_UL600_SR501,600_.jpg

A co-worker and friend just gifted me this book. It is phenomenal.
-bonus point very fast read and lots of pictures.

They are a collection of pictures with short description of a guy who brought them to a retired children's book publisher. he never followed with any actual stories for it and he straight up disappeared.

I love the premise, I don't know if it is real or not, but I wish there was more.

Ar¢tos

I'm re-reading the Earthsea books, annoyed that there has never been a decent tv/movie adaptation of it.
It would be great as a Netflix production like The Witcher.
It's hard to find time for reading nowadays.

Ar¢tos

It's as hard as you make it to be my friend.
There aren't enough hours in a day for everything. I want to do exercise, study, read, watch tv/play games, have to do chores and cook meals. I'm trying really hard to avoid having to use an agenda and allot time for things, it doesn't feel natural.
I haven't touched my ps4 since I finished Ghost of Tsushima.

Tenaciousmo

There aren't enough hours in a day for everything. I want to do exercise, study, read, watch tv/play games, have to do chores and cook meals. I'm trying really hard to avoid having to use an agenda and allot time for things, it doesn't feel natural.
I haven't touched my ps4 since I finished Ghost of Tsushima.
we all have similar things going on man. You're the one who has to chose where your time goes, I too wish there was more hours to a day.

GodofWhimsy

It's as hard as you make it to be my friend.

*WARNING FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO GAG ON PRETENTIOUSNESS*

I'm not suggesting that our friend is acting as this, but I find that a lot of people I interact with who say they can't find time to read, really mean to say "I'd rather spend that time on Reddit/Facebook". If you have time to sit, you have time to read.

It's a substantial (IMO) issue in the current day that people don't read enough. It's evident by the amount of uninformed opinions that are thrown around in the current political climate. Books are an invaluable tool.

Top Bottom