• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Golf game on Switch accessible via feels

No offence to those touched by this, but it seems ludicrous to me that Nintendo didn't bother with cloud saves, achievements or virtual console, but found the time to integrate an NES golf game in to the firmware, that you can only play for one day a year.

No offence to those touched by this, but it seems ludicrous to me that Nintendo didn't bother with cloud saves, achievements or virtual console, but found the time to integrate an NES golf game in to the firmware, that you can only play for one day a year.

I'm like 99% sure that the group that did this are not in charge of anything you're complaining about. Because as you know there is no one hardware team of people at Nintendo. Even if it was the same group that is in charge of one of those things, this is much quicker compared to implementing those.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Adding in that tribute probably took a lot less time than cloud saves, achievements or virtual console.

Raysoul

That's not how hardware development works.

Like, one guy probably did this in a day or two, possibly even outside of normal work hours.

Investment involved is extremely different.

Yep, all of development stopped for months so they could add NES Golf and a motion gesture.

Also, it's not like Nintendo 'didn't bother' to do those things. They chose not to. For whatever reason. It's not like they were sat there choosing between the Iwata tribute and all those other things ffs.

BTA

Is it true that the game has motion controls?

Because that's probably the only thing that'd take any time and even that would be minor.

Comparing it to cloud saves and achievements is ridiculous. This could be easily done; those would take a lot of time and effort.

openrob

tumblr_nrht2dHWrg1qh6zmco1_400.gif

:')

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think they must have been banking on this being discovered.

The real tribute isn't the fact that this game is on the firmware, it's that, on the next anniversary of his death, millions of Switch users will stand up and imitate him in their own homes. I find that an incredible piece of benign social engineering. I can't really think of anything that is even remotely similar.

For the lifetime of the Switch, Iwata will be remembered by millions, every year, on the day he died.
Please stop, I don't want to cry :'(

I kinda teared up a bit when Iwata's name appeared in BotW's credits. It's beautiful to see him immortalized like this.

Deft Beck

And with the way things are going, with all this negativity, we're getting further and further away from that goal. :(

I disagree entirely. I like to think that there's never been more opportunity for constructive and positive games. Nintendo has inspired many creators to make games that bring people together, and more recently has Nintendo made inroads to help them realize this shared vision on their own platforms.

emb

Why did I ever connect my Switch to the Internet T_T

Curse you Splatoon 2, and those 3 or 4 people that nagged me to add them as friends, who I'll probably never play against. :(
:p

AddiF

Wow this is amazing and touching. I miss Iwata and this tribute from Nintendo touches my old beating Nintendo-themed heart. It makes the Switch feel more special now.

Great job, Nintendo. Straight to the feels!

I'm gonna bite.

So, Nintendo decided to honor Iwata in a very meaningful way, a person very dear to Nintendo's history and its employees, yet you found a way to be selfish about it as it MIGHT HAVE taken a few hours from development of features that would have benefitted you as a consumer? It did not have any negative effects on the things you listed as it did not stop work on the rest of the console. It's not like Nintendo skipped achievements, cloud saves and VC for NES Golf and Iwata tribute.

So a new Switch bought today would or would not be able to access this? I imagine factory systems have a later than 1.0 firmware by now?

FinalAres

I'm gonna bite.

So, Nintendo decided to honor Iwata in a very meaningful way, a person very dear to Nintendo's history and its employees, yet you found a way to be selfish about it as it MIGHT HAVE taken a few hours from development of features that would have benefitted you as a consumer? It did not have any negative effects on the things you listed as it did not stop work on the rest of the console. It's not like Nintendo skipped achievements, cloud saves and VC for NES Golf and Iwata tribute.
Yeah but what about all the ram being used.

Buggy Loop

This folks, is a perfect example of why society is turning to shit. Complete lack of empathy combined with entitlement.

The Boat

This is like those posts complaining Iwata was doing Directs instead of making game X or implementing feature Y.

red731

This is just sad.

Smeags

I teared up when his name popped up at the end of Breath of the Wild. To have breathed life into such an incredible game, and paved the way for such success... well its all wonderful to be a part of.

Really amazing to see such a token of gratitude and love embedded in the system. I know he'd be proud of what they're achieving now. :)

I just thought of something...

So NOBODY was messing around with their JoyCons on July 11th of this year and this happened?

Even if you know the exact motion and how to have the joycons orientated, it seems a little tricky to pull off. We do have that one guy who originally claimed to have got it running, but then again he said he did it on the 19th.

I don't think it's about the update per se, it's about having the date set by connection to the internet.

So if I bought a Switch soon, and did not connect to the web but instead set the date manually, I could do this? Or does it only set the date/time via internet?

8bit

Knows the Score
I just thought of something...

So NOBODY was messing around with their JoyCons on July 11th of this year and this happened?

There is an account of one person doing it, they were ridiculed at the time. Think the thread is on GBATemp.

An early leader in the worst take possible, well done.

Nerokis

This folks, is a perfect example of why society is turning to shit. Complete lack of empathy combined with entitlement.

Such "why do this instead of that?" posts almost always reflect an obnoxious mixture of ignorance and entitlement, and yeah, posting one in a thread like this is an especially bad look.

Raiden

Banned
Nothing, I'm just skeptical. It's such an odd thing to leave as a tribute and the method of access, that I don't think it is a tribute and that there must be some other reason behind it. That's all.

It's cool either way though.

Does that not seem extremely odd to anybody else? I think the date is a coincidence.

You would be the worst detective. Oh hey we got matching fingerprints from the suspect on this knife and matching blood from the victim.

"Probably just a coincidence, carry on"

Fireblend

Banned
I commented on this yesterday, but watching that video above and as someone who's into crazy in-code easter eggs like this one, I'm just so floored by its execution and meaning. Iwata's death hit me pretty hard and I still tear up whenever I complete a recent-ish game and he's listed in the credits. This might just go straight to the top of the best code easter eggs ever, in my opinion. It's beautiful, and meaningful, and I honestly think my Switch got a bit more valuable personally because of this. I love it.

I really hope we can play next July.

Top Bottom