• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba (Tales) helming new Square Enix studio Studio Istolia, making new RPG

Mr. RPG

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. Some of the key art as well as the studio logo, are drawn and designed by Toshiyuki Itahana. So, at least one long time S-E staffer is somewhat attached to this studio.

Crystal Chronicles Reboot!

I didn't notice this before. Oh my god. I love his art. He's one of my favorite artists. :) No wonder the art is so good.

I want a new Crystal Chronicles so badly. :(

duckroll

Btw, for those interested in more ~Baba Drama~... it seems that for some reason S-E is keeping silent on the Namco connection. 4Gamer's report on this is particularly telling. They're generally one of the more outgoing in terms of journalistic stuff, so it's not surprising they caught on to this. Their report states that the English press release for the studio stats that this "Hideo Baba" has over 18 years of experience in game development, and is the only clue as to the identity of the studio head other than the similarity in name. They got on to say that they have not been able to corroborate on the validity, but it seems likely that he's the ex-producer of the Tales series. They are the only Japanese press who have even made this comment even though it's fucking obvious.

Sandfox

Btw, for those interested in more ~Baba Drama~... it seems that for some reason S-E is keeping silent on the Namco connection. 4Gamer's report on this is particularly telling. They're generally one of the more outgoing in terms of journalistic stuff, so it's not surprising they caught on to this. Their report states that the English press release for the studio stats that this "Hideo Baba" has over 18 years of experience in game development, and is the only clue as to the identity of the studio head other than the similarity in name. They got on to say that they have not been able to corroborate on the validity, but it seems likely that he's the ex-producer of the Tales series. They are the only Japanese press who have even made this comment even though it's fucking obvious.

I don't blame them.

Mendrox

Haha man. How much damage has he done? I mean yeah Zestiria and the thing with Roses Seiyuu were really really bad, but overall...

Even though he fucked Zestiria up for me, I still wish him the best. Excited for a new RPG IP.

Haha man. How much damage has he done? I mean yeah Zestiria and the thing with Roses Seiyuu were really really bad, but overall...

Even though he fucked Zestiria up for me, I still wish him the best. Excited for a new RPG IP.

Honor and shame are huge parts of it.

Except in Baba's case, the meme went too far.

duckroll

It's not about damage. I think this is a Japanese situation the two companies don't want to appear to be an aggressor "stealing" each other's staff. It's funny.

Oh, so it's S-E trying to avoid looking like they've poached off a key talent to lead a new studio and for Bamco to pretend like he never existed in recent years to avoid making Baba look like a huge loss for Tales team.

That makes a whole lot more sense.

kewlmyc

So that's where Baba disappeared to. If he really left Tales, then I hope the best for him. Shame he left on such a bad note though (Zestiria's whole debacle).

mao2

Un9acpT.jpg

Famitsu already posted a tiny photo of him with Matsuda and he's clearly Tales of Baba.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201702/21127419.html

kewlmyc

So this is the second studio in short time to start a new project and advertise it just to see if they can get staff members from the advertisement.

I wonder how common this is going to get.

Ily Rey come to Urouge sometime.

AHAHA I can't believe it. This is too fucking good.

...is this real? Because I have a hard time believing it's real.

Well, Google searching the image seems to confirm it's real. Links back to Namco's websites at least.

Wonder why western companies aren't nearly this aggressive in unpersoning directors who fail them (Other than Yves Guillemot's vendetta against Desilets for wanting to make a new IP instead of continuing to milk the AssCreed cashcow.). Though I guess none of the west's Big AAA really need to when they generally don't let any one individual in their studios rise to Kojima/Baba/Nomura-level stardom in the first place.

Wonder if Baba left a pinky on his way out considering how thorough his removal was.
lol
...Actually considering a significant chunk of Japan's games industry happens to have some degree of Yakuza involvement that's probably not a great joke to be making...

Kain

As a Spanish speaker the name of the studio bothers me for some reason lol

Best wishes to Baba in this new adventure!

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. Some of the key art as well as the studio logo, are drawn and designed by Toshiyuki Itahana. So, at least one long time S-E staffer is somewhat attached to this studio.

Crystal Chronicles Reboot!
Nice to see confirmation! I knew I recognised those shapes. I really enjoy this guy's style and design sensibilities. I think people are most familiar with his work on FF9, which to me is still the entry in the series with the most appealing designs. The way people talk about unique Toads and plain Toads in Mario RPGs, is how I feel about this guy and Moogles. Putting hats on them just boosts their personality tenfold.

Eylos

Banned
As a Spanish speaker the name of the studio bothers me for some reason lol

Best wishes to Baba in this new adventure!

Hehe the first thing that appeared in my mind is a comic character for children in Brazil that when he speaks he changes R for L.

Historia
By
histolia

Heyt

Banned
Can't wait to read that interview.

I honestly think everything around Zestiria was blown out of proportion. Yeah the story was ruined by the heroine shift but the game itself was actually very nice, if not at least interetesting gameplay/system wise. Not perfect, interesting.

It was obvious that Baba struggled to deliver with Xillia 1 and cornered himself with Zestiria but when given enough resources he can really do well. Destiny DC and Hearts DS and Xillia 2 show he can deliver very very good RPGs when he has the right resources. I will follow his new studio closely.

Fukaya taking over Tales is ideal since he has the right priorities: QA, QA and more QA.

Everybody wins. Specially Baba whose new role at Namco was very... undefined? It sounded decorative to me. Not an actual job.

Sure but did he step down? Or did all the negativity make him pursue another opportunity instead? We'll probably never know, so why assume! You are a totally normal person with a Dragon Quest avatar. You can understand that! Unfortunately those with Type-Moon avatars are blighted with an ailment of the soul that makes them different. :(

Saber is garbage.

No shit? Aside from being a mod, I'm also the resident bully of all Type-Moon fans. Lol.

Am I uh, missing something here? He has a Dragon Quest avatar.

kewlmyc

Can't wait to read that interview.

I honestly think everything around Zestiria was blown out of proportion. Yeah the story was ruined by the heroine shift but the game itself was actually very nice, if not at least I retesting gameplay wise.

It was obvious that Baba struggled to deliver with Xillia 1 and cornered himself with Zestiria but when given enough resources he can really do well. Destiny DC and Hearts DS and Xillia 2 show he can deliver very very good RPGs when he has the right resources. I will follow his new studio closely.

Fukaya taking over Tales is ideal since he has the right priorities: QA, QATAR and more QA.

Everybody wins. Specially Baba whose new role at Namco was very... undefined? It sounded decorative to me. Not an actual job.

Honestly, the heroine debacle wasn't the dealbreaker for me. It was the camera angles in dungeons, the weird orb hunt quest the game made you do, and the equipment system that made me dislike the game.

Also, what does QATAR mean? All that comes up is a country.

I love their little mascot. I can see the plushies already. Definitely interested, concept art looks cool. It's been some time since I played a tales games though. I really liked Phantasia and Symphonia, was Baba involved with those?

From the description and Itahana art I kind of get an OG Crystal Chronicles feeling, so I hope to God it ends up being similar (multiplayer included). CC is one of my favorite games of all time.

As for Baba I can only say that while he wasn't involved in my Favorite Tales games and I wasn't a fan of Graces, I liked the Xillia games and what I played of Hearts R. No real opinion on Zestiria since I only got to the first town before other newer games took me away, though since I was playing multiplayer I can't say my impression of the camera was too good.

I love their little mascot. I can see the plushies already. Definitely interested, concept art looks cool. It's been some time since I played a tales games though. I really liked Phantasia and Symphonia, was Baba involved with those?
Nope.

Korigama

?

Not familiar with this. Just the backlash the character got in large part (but not exclusively) for not being Alisha, and angry fans making Fujishima quit Twitter during that time.

Pooya

?

Not familiar with this. Just the backlash the character got in large part (but not exclusively) for not being Alisha, and angry fans making Fujishima quit Twitter during that time.

they made her kneel and apologize to fans, something like that. Really fucked up situation...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is there a chance he was pirated by SE (aka given a better offer than what Namco initially offered him)?

Heyt

Banned
they made her kneel and apologize to fans, something like that. Really fucked up situation...

Sadly this is a common practice of Japanese talent management.

The "interesting" Baba drama part was the suspicion that Baba influenced the development of Zestiria to change Alisha to Rose for Rose's actress to have a bigger role because he liked her/her work/both (?)

Is there a chance he was pirated by SE (aka given a better offer than what Namco initially offered him)?

I don't know but he probably let on his own. Seems Namco was going to keep him (on a very small position, it seems).

But his conditions are surely yo be better now. Namco never put a lot of muscle behind Tales of development. He surely is more resourceful now on this SE Studio. And has agency over the games he develops unlike the Berseria Period.

I may be completely wrong though.

Mendrox

?

People thought Alisha would be the heroine of Zestiria or the female counterpart in that Tales game (according to previews etc.). Game released and suddenly Alisha is sidelined after the begining of the game is almost away the whole time. She also wasn't good for the male heroine (he lost his sight when she made a pact with the spirits and all) , but Rose, a assassin, is able to squire just fine with the spirits and is a bit Mary Sue.

People thought that Baba created Rose (who wasn't previewed at all at the begining) because many things Rose does/likes in the game, is the same as her voice actor (who Baba likes) e.g.

Rose's seiyuu's motto is "I am me." Rose's true name is 'Rose is Rose.'
Rose's seiyuu's favorite film is Detective Conan: Assassin in her Eyes (名探偵コナン 瞳の中の暗殺者). Rose's occupation? Assassin.
Rose's seiyuu looooves Detective Conan. The name of the prince Rose was engaged to is Conan in the JP version. Baba's nickname among his peer is also "Prince."

Game felt unfinished and felt like the just put a puzzle together which doesn't give you the correct picture. Many things from the trailers didn't appear at all and more. So Hideo Baba got a big backlash from fans in Japan and the game (like always) got hash reviews on Amazon.co.jp

Hypebole, but I wouldn't be surprised if that game cost him his job at Namco Bandai.

Korigama

Sadly this is a common practice of Japanese talent management.

The "interesting" Baba drama part was the suspicion that Baba influenced the development of Zestiria to change Alisha to Rose for Rose's actress to have a bigger role because he liked her/her work/both (?)

People thought Alisha would be the heroine of Zestiria or the female counterpart in that Tales game (according to previews etc.). Game released and suddenly Alisha is sidelined after the begining of the game is almost away the whole time. She also wasn't good for the male heroine (he lost his sight when she made a pact with the spirits and all) , but Rose, a assassin, is able to squire just fine with the spirits and is a bit Mary Sue.

People thought that Baba created Rose (who wasn't previewed at all at the begining) because many things Rose does/likes in the game, is the same as her voice actor (who Baba likes) e.g.

Rose's seiyuu's motto is "I am me." Rose's true name is 'Rose is Rose.'
Rose's seiyuu's favorite film is Detective Conan: Assassin in her Eyes (名探偵コナン 瞳の中の暗殺者). Rose's occupation? Assassin.
Rose's seiyuu looooves Detective Conan. The name of the prince Rose was engaged to is Conan in the JP version. Baba's nickname among his peer is also "Prince."

Game felt unfinished and felt like the just put a puzzle together which doesn't give you the correct picture. Many things from the trailers didn't appear at all and more. So Hideo Baba got a big backlash from fans in Japan and the game (like always) got hash reviews on Amazon.co.jp

Hypebole, but I wouldn't be surprised if that game cost him his job at Namco Bandai.
Huh, that's...wow. Yeah, I was familiar with some things, but not all of it (wasn't aware of favoritism theories, but regardless, making her VA apologize is absurd). Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom