• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High budget first party PS3 title canceled - OR NOT See #211

element said:
Ninja Theory is building off of a game mechanic they know, action games. Some of the team came from medieval 1/2, then some went on to work on Kung Fu Chaos. When Ninja Theory started they have many people from the various Argonaut Studios, most of which worked on 3D action games.
So it is just experience and pedigree. Ninja Theory is doing a game in a genre they know, not taking a huge risk and making an MMO or a sports game or something.

That makes a lot of sense but still Incog has experience with multiple genres: fighting, downhill racing, car combat, the project is ambitious but we aren't dealing with some amature developer here. So I think they should be alright

Dave1988

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Well, personally the only reason I come here is to laugh a little bit and to learn the english language with all these discussions.
But I think that who work in the industry shouldn't come here. It is dangerous and UNANWENDBAR.

I mean, this is only the GAF. An amount of fans that care only to their favorite games and favorite consoles. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It is like to found Stephen Hawking in a physics forum: well, the hierarchy still exists.

NeoGAF center of the universe confirmed :lol

Btw what's this Denis Dyack buissness? I wanna know :)

davidjaffe said:
Guys (gals?), just be aware that MANY MANY MANY games- including 90% of the ones I have worked on- go thru growing pains. It's called the creative process. Sometimes those pains are so bad that you don't think you can go on (GOD OF WAR, in my case), sometimes they are not that bad. BUT just because you hear about a game that is (or WAS) struggling thru the process, doesn't mean ANYTHING. That is the process for much of the time. Hell, they KILLED the first draft of HALF LIFE and started again...how many times did they push back ZELDA (which ZELDA? Hell, how about MOST of them)...you REALLY think it was to 'give the game more polish and give gamers the game the deserve'? Well sure it was, but you also never stopped to think that the extra time was needed because the game didn't sail thru the dev. process like butter in the first place?

So just because some disgruntled ex-worker- who thought the game should have been made HIS way- is now getting his 15 minutes by spouting off to some news source, does not mean he is bringing any meat to the table in terms of valid information. It may be TRUE information in terms of a game having been down a tough road, but again- that is par for the course.

David

ahhh very interesting! Thanks for clearing that up! Warhawk lives!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
davidjaffe said:
Guys (gals?), just be aware that MANY MANY MANY games- including 90% of the ones I have worked on- go thru growing pains. It's called the creative process. Sometimes those pains are so bad that you don't think you can go on (GOD OF WAR, in my case), sometimes they are not that bad. BUT just because you hear about a game that is (or WAS) struggling thru the process, doesn't mean ANYTHING. That is the process for much of the time. Hell, they KILLED the first draft of HALF LIFE and started again...how many times did they push back ZELDA (which ZELDA? Hell, how about MOST of them)...you REALLY think it was to 'give the game more polish and give gamers the game the deserve'? Well sure it was, but you also never stopped to think that the extra time was needed because the game didn't sail thru the dev. process like butter in the first place?

So just because some disgruntled ex-worker- who thought the game should have been made HIS way- is now getting his 15 minutes by spouting off to some news source, does not mean he is bringing any meat to the table in terms of valid information. It may be TRUE information in terms of a game having been down a tough road, but again- that is par for the course.

David

Thanks Jaffe for confirming the one part of the rumor. Seriously Sony should let you talk more often on more matters concerning PS3 (but let you speak your mind like you do here).

So now that, that part is out of the way can you tell Incog to NOT PUT IN THE DAMN FOOT SECTIONS PLEASE!?!?!?!

PLEASE Jaffe. Let them know that 80% of the PS3 owners that want this game just want to fly over some beautiful water and fire bombs and missiles at enemies. WE DON'T WANT TO CONTROL NO STINKING FOOT SOLIDERS!!

Oh and 16-32 player online combat and you guys got yourselves a winner. Seriously I would like to do a poll and everything. GAF does agree with me. I can speak for darn near EVERYBODY in here when I say this.

Thanks.

:)

davidjaffe said:

David

Sex-worker would have been cooler. Especially a disgruntled one.

Paladin69

mckmas8808 said:
Single player or multiplayer?

That I'm not sure of. Didn't ask. When I was told all of this yesterday I was in shock & awe. I was more shocked to hear how everyone at Incog is taking this.

Sounds like SCEA wants everything done as fast and cheap as possible now, and a lot of ppl at Incog just want to leave...ppl have no motivation left for their current projects now either. A lot of depression in the air.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
KimiSan said:
Damn, Jaffe got in the thread suddenly everyone are on the sony side and loooove warhawk.

GAF am hypocrites

Are you going to call someone out specifically for being hypocritical in this thread or do you just find generalizations to be a fun way to cause trouble?

davidjaffe said:

David

Yeah, but Zelda is much more then only a game. Anyway, why do you lose time and energy here, I don't understand it. There is no point to convince who is not INSIDE in the industry what it mean to create a game and how it is to have determined condition and times to develop it. Only when you're working with other people and with a chef you understand really that it is not easy at all to create a good AND creative game. But fans will always be disappointed and the Gaffers more then the rest of the world.

So, to come here for amusement, ok. But begin to explain what it means to develop a game...what a suicide !!

Il santo non vale la candela.

mckmas8808

Paladin69 said:
That I'm not sure of. Didn't ask. When I was told all of this yesterday I was in shock & awe. I was more shocked to hear how everyone at Incog is taking this.

Sounds like SCEA wants everything done as fast and cheap as possible now, and a lot of ppl at Incog just want to leave...ppl have no motivation left for their current projects now either. A lot of depression in the air.

Are you sure "LOTS" of people at Incog think this way or is it just 2 or 3 people? :/

mckmas8808 said:
PLEASE Jaffe. Let them know that 80% of the PS3 owners that want this game just want to fly over some beautiful water and fire bombs and missiles at enemies. WE DON'T WANT TO CONTROL NO STINKING FOOT SOLIDERS!!

Eh, I like the idea of seamless transitions from air to ground combat. How was the ground combat received at TGS?

Pimpwerx

An absence of news is not reason to start filling in the blanks randomly. Why not just wait for official info. I honestly don't know how devs wade through some of this shit. I read the title and automatically knew it was an overreaction. Anything with a big budget gets retooled, not cancelled. Beyond a certain threshhold, pubs will want a return on their investment, regardless of how awful the final product may be. This is my opinion as someone who's never been in the game industry, but has been a part of a few multi-billion dollar microprocessor teams. PEACE.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
KimiSan said:
Damn, Jaffe got in the thread suddenly everyone are on the sony side and loooove warhawk.

GAF am hypocrites

One day the kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? It was outta respect.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
There is no point to convince who is not INSIDE in the industry what it mean to create a game and how it is to have determined condition and times to develop it.

Developers hang out on boards, and it can't be good for studio morale to have these rumors going around. I understand why someone close to the studio would want to stem the flow of rumors. Maybe that's not why he's in this thread, but it'd make some sense if this was at least part of the reason why.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Mithos, when I eat lunch I surf the net. There are like 10-20 reg sites I go to, and this is one of them. I like to post here, it's fun! The nice thing about this site is while there may be some total asshats, most folks here seem to be smart; they seem to love games...even if they don't love the games I work on (like that little ****er with the little toy zelda icon)...but hell, that guy has turned me onto a seemingly great GBA dungeon crawler that I would have NEVER heard of...so I owe him one!

David

mckmas8808

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, but Zelda is much more then only a game. Anyway, why do you lose time and energy here, I don't understand it. There is no point to convince who is not INSIDE in the industry what it mean to create a game and how it is to have determined condition and times to develop it. Only when you're working with other people and with a chef you understand really that it is not easy at all to create a good AND creative game. But fans will always be disappointed and the Gaffers more then the rest of the world.

So, to come here for amusement, ok. But begin to explain what it means to develop a game...what a suicide !!

Il santo non vale la candela.

Hey Mithos he likes to connect to the consumers/gamers more than most game creators. And we(Gaffers and thousands of other gamers) love him for this.

I seen some people want to buy GOW II just because they found out Jaffe made GOW 1. But the thing is they never played GOW 1. Some people like to support a person they can connect to. And Jaffe is that perfect guy.

Ploid 3.0

I don't think gaf has ever been like this (doom and gloom news, fanboys at each other's throats, frequent bannings in said threads) since Dreamcast and PS2 was going at it maybe. One thing is for sure, it gives me something entertaining to read during downtime. And yes Downhill Domination was the stuff. Can you imagine it on a next gen console with a more detailed mountain + online /drool.

RumFore

Banned
Oneself said:
Hey Jaffe, if you're still around, I got a quick question for you...

What's the engine used for Calling All Cars?

What makes you think there using a specific engine instead of making the game from the ground up?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
davidjaffe said:
Mithos, when I eat lunch I surf the net. There are like 10-20 reg sites I go to, and this is one of them. I like to post here, it's fun! The nice thing about this site is while there may be some total asshats, most folks here seem to be smart; they seem to love games...even if they don't love the games I work on (like that little ****er with the little toy zelda icon)...but hell, that guy has turned me onto a seemingly great GBA dungeon crawler that I would have NEVER heard of...so I owe him one!

David

The legend continues... :lol

kenta

Has no PEINS
David please remember my icon when you list off people from NeoGAF that love your games to death thanks

:lol

oh well this thread was FUN. Looks like no PS3 first party games are canceled, lets all relax and take a few deep breaths!

Thanks for crushing the rumors Mr Jaffe :D

davidjaffe said:

David
Would that GBA game be Rocket Slime?

Paladin69

mckmas8808 said:
Are you sure "LOTS" of people at Incog think this way or is it just 2 or 3 people? :/

Just relaying what I heard. And that is how it was worded. I could give a name and his position within Incog that leaked this news development but...yeah...heh, not going to do that.

Especially with jaffe around now...lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
davidjaffe said:

David

QFTMFT.

davidjaffe said:

David

Ok. No problems. Of course this is your opinion and I respect it. Have a good time on GAF then !
Well, another thing: I know that these are not my businesses, but I have a question for you and it is not a game-related question. You are free to answer it or ignore it of course. How do you feel when you work ? I mean, you are always appreciated and when you finish at work you feel satisfaited or sometimes you think that to work in this industry is a only a run against the time and that your work is not appreciated even after a lot of hard work ?

Haunted

Dorfdad said:
Killzone 2.............. GAF EXPLODES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
uh oh - damn, I love this thread already. :lol

davidjaffe said:

David
Yeah, that's Mejilan. :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
John Harker said:
The endings of Twisted Metal Black use to creep me out back in the day.

Me too, especially that one black cop guy that got sniped. I still remember how sad I was after seeing that. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DarienA said:
Are you going to call someone out specifically for being hypocritical in this thread or do you just find generalizations to be a fun way to cause trouble?

ROYALTIES PLZ

JB1981

shpankey said:
It's Killzone

Canning Killzone, investing all their resources into Resistance 2 in the hopes it will become Sony's Halo (which in a lot of ways, it already is). It's actually - arguably, of course - an even better all-around game than the original Halo (because of its MP).

Ploid 3.0

Twisted metal 2's endings were even scarier. Spectre's for sure. Crazy 8's (TM:B) due to his screwed up face alone.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
For che's benefit I'd like to go on record as always having been a Warhawk and Incog fan and he's welcome to check my post history for corroboration and in order to catch up on the GAF Warhawk "scene" he's suddenly so interested in. :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Killzone is not getting cancelled. Guerrilla actually made a really solid game with Liberation. Aside from Guerrila not being SCEA, there is no reason to believe they can't make that kind of game...unless you are saying the sheer weight of matching the BS CG caused the director to have a Matsuno style mental breakdown and commit himself.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Twisted metal 2's endings were even scarier. Spectre's for sure. Crazy 8's (TM:B) due to his screwed up face alone.

Twisted metal 2 had the best artistic style and voice overs ever in a game, IMO. The endings and characters were hilarious and scary at the same time...kinda like clowns.

Top Bottom