• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I gotta say, I’m loving the game and the art direction is great, but the image quality leaves a lot to be desired on Series X.

Feels like 1080p/60 if I had to guess.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone got a list of how many and which full length movies are in this ?

They said on twitter it's more than one.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not even a bit lol

"I'm going to fucking kill all you pieces of shit."

Season 3 Episode 301 GIF by Rick and Morty

Beechos

Man can the rick and morty creators sue themselves for this game. As much as i like rick and morty and the overall game is really good and well made. I cant just shake i dunno if you want to call it "jank" with the gameplay.

Topher

Gold Member
Started playing on PC but performance is ridiculously bad. Downloading on XSX now to compare. Sucks because I really prefer playing FPS with keyboard and mouse. May have to wait for some patches.

Top selling on steam. Lesson for The Callisto Protocol.

Yeah, it is. Good rating on Steam too. I'm guessing it is just the PC Game Pass version that sucks then.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Started playing on PC but performance is ridiculously bad. Downloading on XSX now to compare. Sucks because I really prefer playing FPS with keyboard and mouse. May have to wait for some patches.

The Xbox version has mouse and keyboard support !

Last edited:

adamsapple

I do wish there was a chromatic aberration toggle on console. The only thing there is motion blur, which, yes, I will always turn off for 60 FPS things.

twilo99

I thought the Xbox has solid mouse and key support?

twilo99

Plays like a dream on XSX. They really gotta fix their PC game pass version. Horrible. Game is legit fun. Still has some nagging bugs. Some dialogue bugs out and lips move but no sound. But I'm enjoying it overall.

What’s wrong with the PC version? I have it downloaded for tomorrow so I guess I’ll find out

Roberts

Comedy is super hard to pull off and it really pays off the creators of this have an experience in television. Don't want to say there are no funny games (Deathloop, for example, is legit funny when it wants to be and guys like Gilbert or Schafer have a long history in writing hilarious stuff), but mostly games are written by eager nerds that have watched a lot of comedy films and stand-up and want to emulate that. And this here is the big difference between High on Life and most comedic games. It just comes off naturally in here (VA is so fucking perfect) and I really appreciate that despite knowing that the tone will not work for everybody.

I would have given it a pass on that alone even if it had mediocre gameplay, but surprisingly it also plays really, really well. Everything is made for you to have pure unadulterated fun and that doesn't happen often these days.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its also fixed on PC?
It still has ue shader compile for everything new you see on screen.

The slowdowns are not are severe as callisto tho.

Leaving that aside, performance are basically perfect for what it looks like a proper AAA sometimes.

But i'm on the windows store version of the game, maybe on steam or epic it works better.

Last edited:

MarkyG

I'm seeing massive frame loss when in the more populated areas (main town) on PC. Quite jarring but still a lot better since the patch. Hope they can fix it.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Amazing game but they really need to up the ante and compile shaders on first load. How come all devs don't do something that obvious? Are they retarded?

b0uncyfr0

Amazing game but they really need to up the ante and compile shaders on first load. How come all devs don't do something that obvious? Are they retarded?
Is that interrupting game play or is loading too long? I didn't notice anything at all.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Yeah, it is. Good rating on Steam too. I'm guessing it is just the PC Game Pass version that sucks then.

Mines running fine on gamepass outside of the odd shader stutter, but I do have a high end PC.

I guess the negative reviews were all performance, which was fixed day one patch. Maybe reviewers should put a tag on the reviews or re review it in this situation. Game is legit awesome.

Seems to be doing very well on steam so I guess they are making bank.

Ozriel

M$FT
Mines running fine on gamepass outside of the odd shader stutter, but I do have a high end PC.

I guess the negative reviews were all performance, which was fixed day one patch. Maybe reviewers should put a tag on the reviews or re review it in this situation. Game is legit awesome.

Seems to be doing very well on steam so I guess they are making bank.

Performance would take it down a notch or two, but that’s all. The really negative reviews were from people who hated the humor. Like that clown at ButWhyTho

GymWolf

Gold Member
This might honestly be my game of the year so far. I don't give a fuck about how much of it is 'basic', I'm having an absolute blast whilst laughing my ass off constantly. Can't even remember the last time a game gave me enjoyment of this kind.
The game feels like a rated M first person ratchet but with less weapons and actually good and fun writing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom