• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software Reveals "The Grinder" online co-op FPS vampire killing game

Nicktals

Banned
So, sounds like all 4 characters could be VASTLY different...

When asked about motion plus, they really only mention the japanese assassin. Which leads me to believe that she'll be the only one using swords...I think that's awesome. If they can keep it balanced, and have a fast sword fighter handle decently in first person...Always love a reason to replay a game, and having extremely varied characters is a good reason.

VERY psyched for this game.

Looks nice. I hope it's nice and smooth in motion.

If this and Gladiator A.D. are 2010 releases, does that mean Animales is on track for this year?

Discomurf

62228df1b6886b741b9ac7eb514e65b6.gif

Sounds very... ambitious. I'm definitely more interested in this one then the others. Has IGN seen this (and Gladiator for that matter) in motion yet?

Looks and sounds awesome, but I'm just kinda... I dunno, skeptical. They're basically describing most of the things L4D did and with entirely customizable Wii FPS controls. Maybe 3 years of poor effort from 3rd parties on the Wii has left me jaded about its power, but I almost don't buy that all of this stuff can actually be done on the Wii. It almost seems too good to be true. Prove me wrong HVS. Prove me wrong.

MarkusRJR

sprocket said:
just a rundown ..

- 4 player online co op

- split-screen support

- motion plus support

- swords and guns

- wii speak support

- newer engine version than the conduit ...does more.

- werewolves :D

- vampires

- blood :D

- randomizes stuff for near endless replay value
fixed. ;)

DarkWish

Damn, HVS is seriously upping their game. I mean, I'm pumped for The Conduit and I think it's great that HVS is trying to capture the attention of the gamers... but they're really stepping it up on Wii. All devs should take note of the effort that HVS is putting into their games.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
That whole interview is fucking great. And it'll be playable at E3 too. :D Time to check it out when the time comes.

laserbeam

Banned
sprocket said:
seriously .. maybe they will license this engine for dead risen 2?

I think HVS will keep the engine close to their chest as they have said they intend too. They get to make alot of famous developers look like fools talking out of their ass on capabilities of the Wii with this engine.

Eteric Rice

IAmtheFMan said:
Sounds very... ambitious. I'm definitely more interested in this one then the others. Has IGN seen this (and Gladiator for that matter) in motion yet?

Looks and sounds awesome, but I'm just kinda... I dunno, skeptical. They're basically describing most of the things L4D did and with entirely customizable Wii FPS controls. Maybe 3 years of poor effort from 3rd parties on the Wii has left me jaded about its power, but I almost don't buy that all of this stuff can actually be done on the Wii. It almost seems too good to be true. Prove me wrong HVS. Prove me wrong.

*sigh*

You guys seem to easily forget what was technically possible last generation. :p

Spartan: Total Warrior for instance, had (I think) over 100 enemies on screen at once. This game was on the Xbox and PS2. There were a few games with over 100 enemies on screen last generation, I just can't remember the names.

Also worth noting that even though the Wii is out of date for the year we're in, the Gamecube alone was a badass in it's day. The Wii uses a modified version of the GC's processor with a lot more RAM, etc. So it should be able to surpass most of what was done last generation. The Wii's only real issue against the Xbox is shaders, really.

So yeah, this stuff is technically possible. Hell, they can probably do way better if they had better artists.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i was unimpressed by gladiator, but definitely interested in this. game does seem too early in development, though. not from the screenshots - those look good, but from the 'we'll try this and check that' interview answers and no publisher yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nintendo should just replace their E3 conference with one by HVS, it's over.

laserbeam

Banned
blu said:
i was unimpressed by gladiator, but definitely interested in this. game does seem too early in development, though. not from the screenshots - those look good, but from the 'we'll try this and check that' interview answers and no publisher yet.

They have another 15 months of development time based on their target release period so they should be able to do lots of good stuff with this for sure and graphically its bound to improve like The Conduit.

RyuKanSan

laserbeam said:
I think HVS will keep the engine close to their chest as they have said they intend too. They get to make alot of famous developers look like fools talking out of their ass on capabilities of the Wii with this engine.

There is a sad irony about this though lol.

Teknoman

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I'm glad developers are embrassing the fact that the Wii has online. Yeah, friend codes suck yadda yadda...but imagine if Nintendo is planning a WFC button (like the SD card button) that gives a slight "fix" for Wii's online situation. Not an unrealistic magic cure-all (they're not getting rid of friend codes), but something that possibly makes finding Wii (system code) friends easier online and exchance FC's more fluintly that way? You turn on the Wii, click the WFC button, if your Wii friends are online you can see who is playing what and exchange codes for that game or dirrectly join them if you've already exchanged codes.

I know this is sorta off-topic, but it'd be sweet if Nintendo did this just in time for the Conduit and The Grind.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
yeah who cares about EAD or Retro, we can have HIGH VOLTAGE SOFTWARE showing GLADIATOR and THE CONDUIT

If the past two years have taught us anything, it's that they'd rather hold those off for October. :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Maybe HVS will add DLC to this game. They said they were looking into it near the end of The Conduit's development. Not sure how much they could add given the system, but it seems like a great fit for this kind of game.

Now, where's Animales de la Muerte.

DrGAKMAN said:
I know this is sorta off-topic, but it'd be sweet if Nintendo did this just in time for the Conduit and The Grind.

Is that a new stripping game? Does it come with a stripper pole peripheral? ;p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Um, you want Nintendo to snatch up these guys? Did you even think that through, Nintendo would ruin everything these guys are are attempting to do. I hope they stay far, far away from HVS.

That said, this looks awesome!
And mainly because SPLIT SCREEN CO-OP. This alone puts it higher on the list than Conduit: I'm sad they missed the boat on that one :(. Though in all likely-hood, I'll get both but for entirely different reasons.

Teknoman

DrGAKMAN said:
I'm glad developers are embrassing the fact that the Wii has online. Yeah, friend codes suck yadda yadda...but imagine if Nintendo is planning a WFC button (like the SD card button) that gives a slight "fix" for Wii's online situation. Not an unrealistic magic cure-all (they're not getting rid of friend codes), but something that possibly makes finding Wii (system code) friends easier online and exchance FC's more fluintly that way? You turn on the Wii, click the WFC button, if your Wii friends are online you can see who is playing what and exchange codes for that game or dirrectly join them if you've already exchanged codes.

That actually would be pretty cool. Is that at all possible though?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont really care for these recent announcements being they are for the Wii but if they are truly exceptional games i might consider them.

Amir0x

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:

it would be totally sweet if Nintendo didn't suck ass at online infrastructure but i am preeetty sure that there is no "quick" fix for what you are suggesting here. Even a "small" fix like this, which would require complete redesigning of the way they have everything in place.

This would be much more difficult than even their SD card fix, no question. And they already went the most assbackwards route to fix THAT problem. I'm not even sure it'd be possible without releasing an entirely new type of Wii.

Well, nintendo fanboys are nothing if not big dreamers. Dream on, champ

pakkit

Banned
One of the characters is a female Ninja Assassin who's swordplay will support WiiMotion+.

As much as I didn't really ever get the hatred for The Conduit or Gladiator, this, just at the conceptual stage, has me totally excited. The artwork looks cohesive and well thought out, too, and overall everything I've read or seen in that article seemed just about perfect. We'll see how it runs and plays at E3, but jeezus, this sounds awesome.

EDIT: As for above, I agree with Amir0x, outside of EA just bypassing Nintendo's servers and going with EA Nation, I don't see anyway to address the problem. We'll just have to wait until next generation, when, hopefully, the Wii2 or whatever will have it's own unique FC and you'll only have to enter THAT code to have that person added as your friend across all games.

It doesn't make sense that they didn't do it this generation, though, so I am just hoping that Nintendo stops being stupid and figures it out.

Fine

I don't think I'm going to ride the hype train until I actually see if The Conduit is any good or not. When HVS prove themselves, then I shall believe.

Kevtones

Amir0x said:
Still can't anticipate anything of course until they release something good. A little too early to say that Nintendo should pick them up :lol

Risk/reward. Nintendo would benefit greatly from publishing this.

Amir0x

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Risk/reward. Nintendo would benefit greatly from publishing this.

Well outside of the fact that they have

a.) no proven quality franchises that have sold
b.) nothing but the support of frothing-at-the-mouth nintards who are desperate for platform validation for backup (and we've seen how that goes: *cough* Mad World *cough*)
c.) An engine that tries to emulate the big HD consoles, but does it poorly and married to shit art

again i say... a bit too early for HIGH VOLTAGE GAMES to, uh, be Nintendo's new Retro or Next Level or RARE or whatever the fuck.

Not saying I'm not definitely interested in an L4D clone, just saying the nintendo fans are jumping the gun in their journey to find compelling software support. Let the Conduit launch before Nintendo sees if the "risk" seems a bit more viable :p

sprocket

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well outside of the fact that they have

b.) nothing but the support of frothing-at-the-mouth nintards who are desperate for platform validation for backup (and we've seen how that goes: *cough* Mad World *cough*)

oh come on. The wii has more than enough quality games for a purchase. you are being worse making that statement then the people you are trying to down.

Why would you want HVS to be bought by Nintendo anyway? They'd just rip out their creative souls, cancel every project that wasn't guaranteed to move a million units, and have them churning out first person sequels to Starfox for the next half-decade.

Amir0x

Banned
not sure i said anything relating to the Wii's software offerings (positive or negative), except that regardless of what is actually out on the platform there is zero doubt that the Wii's hardcore fans have a bit of a persecution complex and believe all developers are intentionally trying to doom Nintendo.

As such, the moment any developer seems to take an interest to fill critical "software gaps", regardless of any merit or success or quality, the fans stampede faster than a horny elephant in mating season.

My point is just to have patience before we decide Nintendo needs to buy HIGH VOLTAGE and make them King of Europe.

Top Bottom