• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software Reveals "The Grinder" online co-op FPS vampire killing game

My God High Voltage! Hire some new artists. Their games could look amazing with talented artists at the helm. That saying their games seem to look better with every reveal (The Grinder > Gladiator A.D. > The Conduit) but still with this tech and some skilled artists their games would look amazing.

TheHeretic said:
Still an unproven developer. God only knows how they are making this many games all at once.

150+ team is plenty for 3 games.
Grasshopper has half that and are working on just as many projects.

laserbeam said:
I think HVS will keep the engine close to their chest as they have said they intend too. They get to make alot of famous developers look like fools talking out of their ass on capabilities of the Wii with this engine.
That's not what they said though. They said they will think about licensing in the future but are currently focused on their projects (that was at the time the Conduit was revealed). And looking at the number of projects they have in the pipeline doing engine licensing would probably be way over what they can achieve as a rather small developer atm.

tenritsu

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Still an unproven developer. God only knows how they are making this many games all at once.

The Grinder looks amazing. It reminds us a little bit of one of your earlier games, Hunter: The Reckoning. Is there any relation or are there any influences here?

Kerry J. Ganofsky: Thanks! We are extremely proud of how the game is coming together. We have worked on a number of games throughout our 16-year history and we do draw from them in different ways. A major vision point of this project was to present traditional monsters in new and interesting ways.

Matt Corso: Yes actually. Now that you mention it The Grinder does resemble Hunter just a bit. [Smiles] I happened to be the lead artist on the Hunter Xbox games many full moons ago, and Eric was my Art Director at the time. There are also a few other team members from the Art, Design, and Programming departments that also worked on the original Hunter games. The Grinder is our chance to improve upon the work that we did back in the old days. There are a lot of influences throughout The Grinder's design from the original Hunter games, but there are also many combined years worth of game development experience, and a fully matured technology foundation, to take this game well beyond anything that we ever could have accomplished back in those days.

Hunter TR wasn't too bad of a game actually.

markatisu

TheHeretic said:

Platinum Games has around the same amount of people and were working on MadWorld and Bayonetta. Grasshopper has less people and manage multiple projects.

All 3 games (Conduit, Gladiator, Grinder) are based on the same engine, the latter two games are at least 7-15 months away from being complete. Stop acting like they are all releasing in June

And how does HVS get proven anyway, if the Conduit sells well and receives good reviews (should be around 8's all around) have they arrived? To most of GAF probably not

billy.sea

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
My God High Voltage! Hire some new artists. Their games could look amazing with talented artists at the helm. That saying their games seem to look better with every reveal (The Grinder > Gladiator A.D. > The Conduit) but still with this tech and some skilled artists their games would look amazing.

Agree. Their games would benefit a lot by having some inspiring arts. Grinder looks like an improvement, better than the other two generic-looking games before it.

Kevtones

Amir0x said:
Well outside of the fact that they have

a.) no proven quality franchises that have sold
b.) nothing but the support of frothing-at-the-mouth nintards who are desperate for platform validation for backup (and we've seen how that goes: *cough* Mad World *cough*)
c.) An engine that tries to emulate the big HD consoles, but does it poorly and married to shit art

again i say... a bit too early for HIGH VOLTAGE GAMES to, uh, be Nintendo's new Retro or Next Level or RARE or whatever the fuck.

Not saying I'm not definitely interested in an L4D clone, just saying the nintendo fans are jumping the gun in their journey to find compelling software support. Let the Conduit launch before Nintendo sees if the "risk" seems a bit more viable :p

I'm not saying they're the next Retro but their work ethic and commitment to improve the software landscape are pretty admirable in the current Wii market. Also, like Retro (who had a killer portfolio of zero games made), Nintendo could help HV projects reach greater heights and help blend their talents with some of the things they lack.

Also, this whole NINTARDS NEED PLATFORM VALIDATION thing is getting pretty tired. Sure, the good/great new games this year on Wii have sold pretty poorly but that doesn't change the fact the Wii has had a certifiably kick ass start to the year.

markatisu said:
And how does HVS get proven anyway, if the Conduit sells well and receives good reviews (should be around 8's all around) have they arrived? To most of GAF probably not

If The Conduit recieves good reviews they will most certainly be proven. Its still a developer whose portfolio is heavily based around shovelware. Of course many developers start this way, but the fact remains.

jrricky

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Also, was I the only person on GAF to really enjoy Harvey Birdman?
never new they made that until I checked their official website last night. These guys have a long back catalogue, good and bad, so I dont know why people keep coming in the threads and saying the same thing over and over.

sprocket

Banned
the unproven comment is BS. Every big dev was once a no dev. What did bungie do right before Halo? ONI? WHat did epic do before unreal? pin ball and green rabbits?

The conduit has got some excellent hands on previews. not super awesome. but it doesn't need to be super awesome just a few constantly good games.

benjipwns

Banned
jrricky said:
I dont know why people keep coming in the threads and saying the same thing over and over.
World revolves around them, if they haven't heard of developer/site/game/show/etc., they aren't relevant and nobody has ever heard of them.

Or they don't care.

sprocket said:
the unproven comment is BS. Every big dev was once a no dev. What did bungie do right before Halo? ONI? WHat did epic do before unreal? pin ball and green rabbits?

The conduit has got some excellent hands on previews. not super awesome. but it doesn't need to be super awesome just a few constantly good games.
Marathon.

Meesh

Ho-leeeeeeeey!!!! I'm still reeling from HVS mega-ton punch!

The detail on the guns is sweet, monsters look good, sounds good as far as the interview goes. The name alone, The Grinder, sounds pretty mean :D In a good way!! Hot damn, where the video is?????

Lord Phol

Looks like a mix of Darkwatch and Timesplitters for the PS2.
Can't say I'm overwhelmed by hype, but then again I have a hard time gettting excited for anything wii :/..

bdouble

burst said:
Some of you guys might actually have to purchase the conduit if you want this game published.
Umm not so sure about that mentality. The Conduit was fully financed by HVS even before Sega. Now that it does have a publisher its kind of like a free card. If anything they could drop their other projects. Focus in on the one with the most potential (probably this one) and make a much better game out of it and get it published.

pakkit

Banned
EDarkness said:
I agree with the other two, but Oni wasn't that good. I tried like mad to like that game, too.
I know it's not viewed upon greatly, but I loved the game for its style and unique combat system. Going on runs where all kills were throws was just awesome.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I have a feeling this one could do really well. At least, much better than Gladiator ever could. The Wii crowd freaking lurrrv zombies.
Everyone loves zombies. This game has vampires and werewolves, though. :lol

Looks good.

Good business move by High Voltage. There's no hardcore market on the Wii outside of Madworld/Suda51's games and both the Mature and FPS market are untapped. If their risks pay off and people throw down some cash for these games, HV will be swimming in some mad cash.

It'll be interesting to see how these turn out.

laserbeam

Banned
pakkit said:
I know it's not viewed upon greatly, but I loved the game for its style and unique combat system. Going on runs where all kills were throws was just awesome.

Everyone loves zombies. This game has vampires and werewolves, though. :lol

They say it has undead as well so zombies are in :D

bdouble

Insaniac said:
Fuck all the haters. Wii deserves some LOVIN
fixed. B...bb...but there are no games.
DQ, MH, FFCC,CB, NMH, Rabbids, RE:DS, Dead Space (both pushing light gun games finally) and all the M+ games. Plus a ton on same tier as Muramasa, or ABaHB. Can't deny the big hitters that are getting behind the little console.

I really like HVS, if nothing else they really seem to 'want' to be one of those big developers. So their efforts reflect that.

As apposed to some of the already supposedly big developers who can't be arsed, just say meh *chucks on-rails shooter into a license* and call it a day.

This game looks awesome, I hope they all turn out to play well and people are happy (lol).

Conrad Link said:
I really like HVS, if nothing else they really seem to 'want' to be one of those big developers. So their efforts reflect that.

As apposed to some of the already supposedly big developers who can't be arsed, just say meh *chucks on-rails shooter into a license* and call it a day.

This game looks awesome, I hope they all turn out to play well and people are happy (lol).
It's certainly the way to do it. Really very bold and admirable. Had they tried to do the same thing on the PS3 or 360, they'd have been hung, pilloried and their heads put upon poles to serve as a warning to any with the temerity to pull the same stunt.

As it is though, they have the potential to really be the big fish in the small pond.

I hope it's more of a Left 4 Dead and svencoop style co-op and not a Horde, Killing Floor or Resistance 2 style. Going through a level is so much better than just having a big area where you just survive.

EDarkness said:
I agree with the other two, but Oni wasn't that good. I tried like mad to like that game, too.

Did you play it on PS2? yeah, you probably played it on PS2. PS2 version was ass.

Oni rocked on PC, and I guess Mac seeing as how it is Bungie and all.

Insaniac

Wow, i read the interview, These devs know exactly what I like. light RPG aspects (upgrading weps/chars) Unique weapons for chars (Swords / wiimotion+), optional NPC rescue, unique events/and respawns for replayability, mutiple paths, no load time

I will fully support High Voltage, they are putting EFFORT into their games.

This is one reason i hope the next generation doesn't go overboard in tech. A medium developer like HV can make three relatively unique full games within the time span that a single major game is made by a major studio simply because of the lower tech specs, which i have no problem with.

Neo C.

burst said:
Some of you guys might actually have to purchase the conduit if you want this game published.
Hm, that might be a problem. I don't hate the Conduit, but I never like its concept either. However, Grinder looks and sounds like a day one purchase. :S

Dascu

Regulus Tera said:
Okay seriously what's up with every fucking game being announced the week before E3?
They don't want to get overshadowed by all of the other big guns that are going to be announced at the event itself.

Wow. Seriously. Wow.

A couple of things:

1. HVS is very quickly becoming one of my favorite developers, and so far I only have one of their games (Hot Rod Show).

2. HVS is not only pushing graphics on the Wii (which by itself is appreciated) they're also pushing the online capabilities of the console, which again is more than I can say of most Wii devs.

3. Seeing this game instantly makes the gladiator game more interesting by proxy. Can't wait to see both in motion.

4. Matt (and I assume Bozon) bring yet another Wii exclusive. Wonder how people will twist this one. Say what you will, but they constantly get exclusives because they actually give a shit about what they're covering.

Regulus Tera said:
Okay seriously what's up with every fucking game being announced the week before E3?

Whatever Nintendo, MS, and Sony announce will eclipse third party announcements. This way they all get time in the spotlight.

bdouble

Agreed Deacon. If nothing else you have to respect their effort. Not only that you can only become one of the big boys if you think you are one. They are doing just that and seem to have a plan to go with it. They are jumping all over the Wii and who knows what will happen. It could be a great investment for them.

nightside

sprocket said:

myth.

HVS will get my money. I mostly like everything ive seen on the conduit aside from the framerate, and the gladiator game looks damn nice to me(gladiators that look like gladiators is lulz worthy?). This one seems interesting enough, so Ill be keeping my eye on it. The screens look nice, so hopefully it translates into some nice visual fluidity.

m3k

conduit putting in work... yes yes right now theyre unproven on the wii, but gotdaymn if they pull their 3 games off with a sense of competancy and improve game upon game they would have shamed a few developers

as long as the conduit is above avergae i hope they get paid handsomely, so they can keep improving with games like this

Top Bottom