• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software Reveals "The Grinder" online co-op FPS vampire killing game

bdouble said:
Agreed Deacon. If nothing else you have to respect their effort. Not only that you can only become one of the big boys if you think you are one. They are doing just that and seem to have a plan to go with it. They are jumping all over the Wii and who knows what will happen. It could be a great investment for them.

In NO WAY would this factor into any of my own reviews, but I have to give the company serious, serious credit. They are going all out when nobody (Nintendo included) will push the Wii hardcore angle right now.

They've got my money. It takes serious balls to work mainly as a dev for hire, pile cash, and then bet this big, so I wish those guys all the luck in the world.

Also, I must play Grinder. Damn that looks cool. :)

<------- This Guy: A fan of Darkwatch.

jrricky

Banned
Bozon-IGN said:
In NO WAY would this factor into any of my own reviews, but I have to give the company serious, serious credit. They are going all out when nobody (Nintendo included) will push the Wii hardcore angle right now.

They've got my money. It takes serious balls to work mainly as a dev for hire, pile cash, and then bet this big, so I wish those guys all the luck in the world.

<------- This Guy: A fan of Darkwatch.
Props to HVS!!!

TheHeretic said:
Still an unproven developer. God only knows how they are making this many games all at once.

yeah i feel like they need to just pick one game at a time and work on that only, i dont think they a big team

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Okay, this is definitely their most appealing title.
They should totally drop Gladiator and focus on this.

Ramenman

Ramenman said:
However, The Grinder looks much more interesting. I mean it's offline CO-OP (take notes you stupid online devs) and it has werewolves and vampires.

And I really like the style they're going for, in the creature design and in the graphics (except for those shots where the screen is all red, not sure what's going on). Looking forward to more.

bdouble

Bozon-IGN said:

Yeah like I said they obviously learned something while developing all those games. If nothing else they learned how to hit deadlines and make games efficiently. I mean from the looks of it they have 3 huge projects right now plus some Wiiware titles. Thing is they are just trying to find their specialty. Seems like they are drawn to the very competitive FPS market which can be a double edged sword. Focusing on the Wii though could make it a little less of a challenge though.

The industry is pretty healthy though. There is a huge gamut of different investment opportunities for companies of all backgrounds. From the Apple App Store to the HD twins and PC. Then digital distribution making things an even more even battle field for the little guys. Can't help but think that some people are going to thrive this generation.

laserbeam

Banned
jump_button said:
yeah i feel like they need to just pick one game at a time and work on that only, i dont think they a big team

150 or so people is a substantial development company given they are totally independant of any of the major companies.

The new Wii Platformer from Majesco that has promise is being made by a 7 man Dev team. With the Conduit closing in on release Your looking at 60-70 people working on each of these wii games and Grinder at least is a fall 2010 release so lots of dev time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Outside of how this game looks, and the same for The Conduit and Gladiator A.D, I have massive respect for HVS. This is the fourth Wii game they have in development, and they are at least trying every avenue they can. Four completely different titles targeted towards the core(sic) gamer, while trying to push the engine as far as possible, and including all the bells and whistles like online.

Even if these titles turn out rough, for a company to go from utter garbage to this is certainly a bold statement. Whether you care for the company or the games, for the first time ever they are getting online discussion generated. People are talking about HVS games, and in some cases anticipating them.

So yeah, huge props to HVS. You guys have come a long way in the last 12 months.

As for this game, it looks fuck awesome, sounds fuck awesome, and hopefully plays fuck awesome. Easily my most anticipated of the four.

These guys are starting to remind me of sony...they had a rough(terrible start) from a quality standpoint, but they are slowly maturing into something nice. I remember when sony was completely trash, and then suddenly they had good ideas. The games were still in need of some serious attention, but progress was being made. Now, we get things from them that I would have never given them credit to do...

These guys seem like they just might be going down that road. Im very interested in the three games shown, with conduit on my most wanted list. Great job guys, keep doing what you are doing.

Xav

Can't say I care too much for the other two games they are working on but The Grinder looks awesome.

pakkit

Banned
abstract alien said:
These guys are starting to remind me of sony...they had a rough(terrible start) from a quality standpoint, but they are slowly maturing into something nice. I remember when sony was completely trash, and then suddenly they had good ideas. The games were still in need of some serious attention, but progress was being made. Now, we get things from them that I would have never given them credit to do...
seinfield.gif

Dascu

abstract alien said:
Rough start --> nice ideas --> genuinely good games

Sony when through that, and it seems like HV is going through somewhat of the same thing. Whats wrong with that?
Can't wait to see The Conduit 2 avatars and .gifs in every thread.

pakkit

Banned
abstract alien said:
Rough start --> nice ideas --> genuinely good games

Sony when through that, and it seems like HV is going through somewhat of the same thing. Whats wrong with that?
What's wrong with comparing a publisher and hardware developer that has gone through a bit of a struggle despite dominating the industry for the past decade and had a few exclusives early on in the PS3's era that failed to deliver with a company that has been in the industry for 15 years and made mostly barely-worth-mentioning licensed games?

It just seems like the analogy is a bit out-of-hand, and hyperbolic.

pakkit said:
What's wrong with comparing a publisher and hardware developer that has gone through a bit of a struggle despite dominating the industry for the past decade and had a few exclusives early on in the PS3's era that failed to deliver with a company that has been in the industry for 15 years and made mostly barely-worth-mentioning licensed games?

It just seems like the analogy is a bit out-of-hand, and hyperbolic.
I was speaking strictly from a software standpoint, and it wasn't meant to be taken as an exact duplication of what sony has done. It simply reminds me of the times when sony made shit games, then made mediocre games with nice ideas, then made genuinely good games.

You are taking it too literal. I didnt think I needed to state the entire history of sony and HV in order to draw a thought...I figured most people knew by now.

agrajag

Banned
How is it that HVS is pumping out all these self-funded games within a span of a couple of years and 3D Realms cannot make one game in ten years on a huge budget?:lol

[Nintex]

agrajag said:
How is it that HVS is pumping out all these self-funded games within a span of a couple of years and 3D Realms cannot make one game in ten years on a huge budget?:lol
They're even faster than Retro Studios and RARE. :lol

Gagaman

No publisher? Surely if the Conduit does good Sega will be willing to publish this too?

Oh, and what happened to Animales de la Muerte? I know they changed it from Wiiware to retail, but ever since we heard that we've head or seen nothing else. I hope it's still in development.

I am the only one who also likes a lot Gladiator AD and the ideas they are implemating?
Because in my opinion both of these games they are showing look very good.

zigg

EatChildren said:
Even if these titles turn out rough, for a company to go from utter garbage to this is certainly a bold statement.

I wouldn't ask anyone here to play it—I didn't play it myself—but my young daughter owns one of their licensed titles on Wii, and having seen a lot of what passes for kid-targeted fare these days (hint: it's crap) I found myself rather impressed.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Now this looks cool. Still inconsistencies in the graphics though (the werewolf looks a bit naff, the vampires look awesome and there's bloody loads of 'em) but you know, they've got a year and a half to work on it. Maybe it'll go through stages.

Definitely looks better than that Gladiator game right now. A video or two might change it all around though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SpacePirate Ridley said:
I am the only one who also likes a lot Gladiator AD and the ideas they are implemating?
Because in my opinion both of these games they are showing look very good.

Nah. Gladiator A.D doesn't floor me and I really want to see it in motion, but I'm not on the hate wagon that seems to be passing through GAF. If they can pull of the concept and looks good in motion I'll be hot on its heels.

CTLance

Oy. That sounds great.

This makes me really sad though; why does a comparatively noname dev have to dive in headfirst while all the other richly-funded third party houses are/were sitting on the sidelines and give little more than lipservice? I really hope they will get rewarded accordingly.

...and leave them independent, please. I have little interest in them being bought by Nintendo. Aside from the funding aspect, I mean. I'd prefer them to stay a true 3rd party and lead by example. Show the others how it's done. Incite some competition again. Hopefully rake in some mad cash.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dascu said:
It has zombies. Somewhere in the game at least.
But it's not good enough to say zombies are already covered (while Dead Rising, on the other hand, is).

Garryk

Nintendo needs to throw the checkbook at somebody and get them to develop an online service to support these games people want to play such as Smash and Kart. I have never bothered with the online play with the Friend Codes crap. With The Conduit and Grinder coming out they could make a huge dent in the hardcore gaming demographic if they came out with a great matchmaking system and installed some social service along with it.

I know HVS said that The Conduit users will not have to use Friend Codes but if Nintendo would develop a service that unified all of their games more people would want to dust off their Wiis and more companies would want to develop games for the platform.

Davey Cakes

CTLance said:
This makes me really sad though; why does a comparatively noname dev have to dive in headfirst while all the other richly-funded third party houses are/were sitting on the sidelines and give little more than lipservice? I really hope they will get rewarded accordingly.
The attitude of High Voltage is very refreshing. They're making games that they want to play on Wii, but also have a lot of respect for the fans and are willing to ask for feedback. Their developments are not just interesting because they seem to be solid Wii games, but also because they're being made as a stand against those who are too afraid to put their best games on Wii and back them 100%.

I mean, people look at The Conduit, and they say it looks decent, but nothing special. The game scores an 8/10 in Nintendo Power. It's definitely at least a solid effort, and this is coming from a developer with a less-than-decent track record. Now, just imagine what a high-end richly-funded developer could do with the same level of ambition.

The guys at High Voltage are very talented, and I wish them the best of luck. If they even remotely succeed it'll be a big win.

jrricky

Banned
Vinci said:
Okay, HVS ... This is better. More stuff like this, less stuff like the Gladiator. Thanks.
Wrong. Continue to do everything you can with Gladiator, and whatever else awesome ideas you guys have.

dygiT said:
High Voltage Studios = Dev of the Year.
QFT. If not for this year, next year should be a given.

Azure J

jrricky said:
QFT. If not for this year, next year should be a given.

Very true, especially with where they stand now. If they generate any more buzz, polish their art to the same level as their tech and keep coming up with interesting game ideas, they could really become the Ensemble Darkhorse version of Retro Studios.

Top Bottom