• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiker ignores Warning Signs about fissures-dies in landslide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Point Reyes landslide victim ID’d as S.F. woman

920x920.jpg

920x920.jpg

A hiker who died after a cliff gave way Saturday at Point Reyes National Seashore was identified Monday as a 58-year-old San Francisco woman.

Nancy Blum was hiking with another person on Bear Valley Trail when the two apparently passed several signs warning visitors about a dangerous fissure that had opened up on a bluff at the Arch Rock overlook, said John Dell’Osso, a spokesman with the National Park Service.

Around 6 p.m., part of the cliff crumbled, sending Blum and the other hiker, who was not identified, tumbling some 70 feet down to the beach below, Dell’Osso said.

People in the area worked to free the hikers who were trapped beneath large rocks and rubble. A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office helicopter flew Blum to the Bear Valley Ranger Station, where she was pronounced dead, said the Marin County coroner.

The other hiker was airlifted to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

The sandstone cliffs along the national seashore are notoriously dangerous. The bluffs slowly erode from beneath due to weathering from crashing waves, prompting walls of earth to break off in landslides of rocks and debris.

“The cliffs of Point Reyes are likely to crumble and slide,” a warning posted on the park’s website reads. “Climbing on them or walking near the edge invites catastrophe. Because of falling rocks, walking below cliffs is dangerous.”

Three days before the collapse, several signs were posted along the trail warning visitors about the fissure that was first discovered Wednesday, Dell’Osso said.

Los Altos resident Karen Blasing, who was hiking with her husband and two friends near the cliff, said she saw dozens of people on the bluff Saturday.

“It was clear no one should be on that rock with the huge fissure,” she said. “We stayed back, but many others were unconcerned and dangerously taking chances.”

The Arch Rock Trail has been closed indefinitely due to concern about further crumbling.
“Obviously there is a tragedy and one person didn’t survive, but one person did and hopefully this won’t happen again,” Dell’Osso said.

Sad that this happened-but why do people insist on ignoring these warning signs? It's almost like they feel they're being dared.

stufte

People like this tend to think that the world is their playground and that it would never hurt them. It's a total lack of respect for the inherent dangers of nature.

commedieu

Banned
this and dying in a sinkhole are the 2 ways that I don't want to go.

#1 is fighting some sort of larger predator and getting a few licks in.

Guevara

To be fair, the entire coast in this area looks like it's about to collapse. Even in parts of the Presidio, just a few miles south in San Francisco. It's easy to get complacent; erosion is (usually) a very slow process.

Abounder

Banned
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs. Fuckin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the siiiiign.

RIP

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well the folks that put up the signs seemed to have a pretty good idea of the chances.

The problem is is that companies/park employees/etc have every incentive to always put up signs, no matter how small the risk, in an effort to minimize their legal liability. Often companies will put out a warning "just in case" but, in reality, the risk is extremely small. Therefore, some people tend to think that a company is just being overly cautious and proceed anyway. It's very unfortunate.

Evo X

RIP

No one ever thinks they are gonna be the ones to trigger a freak accident like a cliffside collapse. They just wanted a look at that awesome view.

see5harp

There was a thread recently about what to do in California and I swear I mentioned Point Reyes. I was thinking about heading there later this month for a nice hike. It's beautiful but there's no way in hell I'd walk that far out with the warnings up.

Cat Party

People like this tend to think that the world is their playground and that it would never hurt them. It's a total lack of respect for the inherent dangers of nature.
Yeah this is my guess. Definitely a mindset you see out here in the West quite a bit.

Parch

Surely you can share a few juicy ones with us :p
I was just aircraft maintenance but we'd deploy for some crazy stuff. Just the number of inexperienced mountain climbers getting stuck became routine. No experience, no climbing gear, they're clinging to the side of a cliff with nothing but shorts and t-shirt. Dude, what were you thinking?

There was a missing windsurfer once. We found him several miles off shore on the way to Japan. Man, was he ever happy to see the helicopter.

Hundreds of people get lost, injured, or trapped because of a basic lack of common sense, but thrill seekers are always going to do what they do.

Dalek

I was just aircraft maintenance but we'd deploy for some crazy stuff. Just the number of inexperienced mountain climbers getting stuck became routine. No experience, no climbing gear, they're clinging to the side of a cliff with nothing but shorts and t-shirt. Dude, what were you thinking?

There was a missing windsurfer once. We found him several miles off shore on the way to Japan. Man, was he ever happy to see the helicopter.

Hundreds of people get lost, injured, or trapped because of a basic lack of common sense, but thrill seekers are always going to do what they do.

WHAT

Parch

Just to clarify, he wasn't trying to go to Japan, he just didn't know what he was doing and lost control of the situation. He was completely exhausted when we found him and said he was minutes away from giving up and taking the plunge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom