• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elephant seal determined to try and cross Northern California highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

SURGEdude

about as natural as an asteroid hurtling out of deep space and colliding with earth.

Nah man. God prefers flooding as his method of whiting out his mistakes. This seal planned ahead for that.

Brannon

Elephant seals are cute. But sea lions? I could do without sea lions.

Excuse me, I couldn't help but overhear you disparaging sea lions. Could you tell me why you can't 'do without them'? Is there any proof that they are so negative in your mind or is it... something else. I'm just asking questions so please answer promptly thanks.

2cSPcN0.jpg

"I just wanna swim over there, guys...."

What a beautiful, magical lady! I want to hug her!

You cross paths with Determined Seal!

Code:
Check           Call Wildlife Control
Hug             Deploy Shield

You decide to hug the seal...when you get down to her height, she backpedals and slaps you with her fin! Ouch!

The seal covers her mouth and gasps. She apologizes profusely.

You explain to the seal that there's nothing for her on the other side of the road, and there's no need to risk her life.

She says she trusts your judgement...but she looks a little sad too. The seal hops back into the water.

YOU WON! You got 0 EXP and 30 Gold

Pretty funny stuff. I wouldn't have let it close the freeway though, when it gets close to that point, just sedate the seal. I would have been laughing my ass off trying to corral that beast though lol.

Cerium

Pretty funny stuff. I wouldn't have let it close the freeway though, when it gets close to that point, just sedate the seal. I would have been laughing my ass off trying to corral that beast though lol.

I think they probably didn't want to sedate her because she's pregnant.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Man, I drove Hway 1 from San Diego to Bodega Bay, and even without seals it was the best road I've ever seen. This seals the deal as GOAT road

Excuse me, I couldn't help but overhear you disparaging sea lions. Could you tell me why you can't 'do without them'? Is there any proof that they are so negative in your mind or is it... something else. I'm just asking questions so please answer promptly thanks.

oh goddamnit get off

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
are you insinuating it's an anchor baby? I won't have that. it's un-American. it's wrong.
Seal-Americans deserve rights just like all other American citizens.

Maybe he's trying to say the elephant seal wants to give birth on American soil and have an anchor baby.

Also, update:

Animal experts were hoping to end a standoff with a wayward elephant seal on Tuesday afternoon by luring the 900-pound beast onto land next to the North Bay highway she blocked on Monday, knocking her out with a sedative and carting her out of harm’s way.

A rescue team was waiting for high tide around 3:30 p.m. to set their plan in motion, but success will depend a lot on what the seal will do.

“She’s a 900-pound elephant seal and we’re not. She pretty much does what she wants,”
Barbie Halaska, a research assistant at The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, said after failed attempts to get the creature to skedaddle by blowing air horns, yelling at her and nudging her with a kayak.

The new plan is to wait for high tide, which is when the seal attempted to cross the road on Monday, and hope that she again climbs onto dry land where experts from the mammal center could sedate her, load her onto a truck and take her to a suitable release location, likely in Point Reyes.

“The plan is predicated on her coming back out of the water and that’s really up to her,” said Dave Zahniser, a rescue and response manager from the mammal center.

Said plan will commence around half an hour from now.

Update also means new photos:

ESTMq1d.jpg

FIJNHEl.jpg

10wAUr7.jpg

Omg yes...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
are you insinuating it's an anchor baby? I won't have that. it's un-American. it's wrong.
Seal-Americans deserve rights just like all other American citizens.

we need moderate seals to exclaim they reject this ideology of birth tourism within the seal community

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You cross paths with Determined Seal!

Code:
Check           Call Wildlife Control
Hug             Deploy Shield

You decide to hug the seal...when you get down to her height, she backpedals and slaps you with her fin! Ouch!

The seal covers her mouth and gasps. She apologizes profusely.

You explain to the seal that there's nothing for her on the other side of the road, and there's no need to risk her life.

She says she trusts your judgement...but she looks a little sad too. The seal hops back into the water.

YOU WON! You got 0 EXP and 30 Gold

A sequel would so work.

Yeah, the underlying point of the title won't work again, but the humor still would.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Facts about Elephant Seals:

"Northern elephant seals return to their terrestrial breeding ground in December and January, with the bulls arriving first. The bulls haul out on isolated or otherwise protected beaches, typically on islands or very remote mainland locations. It is important that these beach areas offer protection from the winter storms and high surf wave action. The bulls engage in fights of supremacy to determine which few bulls will achieve a harem."

So basically they live in an anime world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom