• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLK Day Protesters Block Traffic on the Bay Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

MLK Day Protesters Block Traffic on the Bay Bridge

1164427_800x450.jpg

Black Live Matters demonstrators are blocking westbound lanes of the Bay Bridge, bringing traffic to a standstill in the westbound direction.

It appeared the protesters drove onto the bridge, stopped their cars and began chaining themselves across all five lanes.

The action occurred just after police shut down a major freeway off ramp in Emeryville during Monday’s Martin Luther King Jr. demonstrations that began in Oakland and moved into Emeryville.

Chanting, “Hey, hey, ho, ho, police brutality’s got to go,” and “Black lives matter,” a diverse crowd of activists marched peacefully along the streets but expressed outrage over what they called the unfair treatment of African Americans at the hands of law enforcement.

Shortly before 4 p.m., Black Lives Matter protesters formed a line, chaining themselves together to stop traffic in the afternoon commute.

“We’re just trying to make the change we can and take it a day at a time,” said Nkei Oruche, marching with her husband and two children.

On Monday in Oakland, demonstrators started at 14th and Broadway around noon before going through West Oakland and heading into Emeryville.

“I’m just here as a black person representing my family,” Oruche said. “It’s important to start from an early age and let my kids know what’s important.

Victor Guendulain held up a sign that read “migrant workers for black resistance” as he walked coming up from San Jose to “draw attention to the issues that black folks are going through and make the connection to migrant workers who face similar police repression and intimidation.”

The crowd held up signs calling for reparations, black resistance, and black power as local residents looked on at the peaceful demonstration, some watching and welcoming it.

“I really respect how they’re making our rights known,” Olivia Duncan, a Hayward resident, said.

She came to visit her grandfather in West Oakland, joined by her 6-year-old daughter.

Will Delaney, a 71-year-old chess teacher and Vietnam veteran was walking his dogs as the crowd passed through the city, bound for Emeryville.

“I don’t mind that they’re here, but I wouldn’t get in that crowd,” he said. “I don’t believe in protests. “To me it seems like they’re just not effective.”

But as Excell Oliver, 68, watched the crowd with his 1-year-old grandson Leonard he said he was happy to see them.

“I think it’s good to see people walking together and celebrating any type of thing,” he said.

It's fine to protest, but blocking traffic like this is not cool. What of emergency workers, ambulances, fire trucks? Is it even legal to block roadways like this?

hokahey

It's fine to protest, but blocking traffic like this is not cool. What of emergency workers, ambulances, fire trucks? Is it even legal to block roadways like this?

Or people trying to pick up their kids from somewhere. I'm a single father and every time I see these road blocks it makes me anxious about being prevented from reaching him.

I suspect it creates less sympathy for the movement when these actions are taken.

You can bring attention to something and make your voices heard without aggravating the shit out of the people you want on your side.

And yes, I'm aware of the history of protest blockades in relation to the civil rights movement.

I just think there are more effective techniques. Especially in today's information society.

Or people trying to pick up their kids from somewhere. I'm a single father and every time I see these road blocks it makes me anxious about being prevented from reaching him.

I suspect it creates less sympathy for the movement when these actions are taken.

You can bring attention to something and make your voices heard without aggravating the shit out of the people you want on your side.

And yes, I'm aware of the history of protest blockades in relation to the civil rights movement.

I just think there are more effective techniques. Especially in today's information society.

of course you do when you do not have to worry about police brutality. You probably want people to protest in their designated protest zones so you continue to ignore the problems this country has.

Well, I can tell you exactly how this is going to g-

of course you do when you do not have to worry about police brutality. You probably want people to protest in their designated protest zones so you continue to ignore the problems this country has.

Yup, welcome to the Protester Block Something Thread Loop

Enzom21

If being inconvenienced by people protesting to end police brutality makes you less sympathetic to their cause, then you probably didn't care about it all that much to begin with.
"Make sure you protest in a way that I can easily ignore and go about my day."
Would you be less annoyed if they were white?

Slayven

Right on time.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

If your response to "stop killing us!" is "I'd be on your side, but you slowed down my commute," then honestly who fucking needs you?

Not to divert the pile-on attack, but I feel like hokahey is looking at it from the perspective of a dad, where if his son's in trouble and something like this gets in his way, it's probably not going to end so hot

I'm not a father, but if, god forbid, I'm ever in that kind of scenario, you're all moving the fuck outta the way

aly

Thank goodness I missed this, had to pee like crazy today. Good day to protest on though. Think its opened up now though.

Assholes did the same thing at UCSC last year. Then had the balls to yell at cancer patients that told them they were late to class.

Not to divert the pile-on attack, but I feel like hokahey is looking at it from the perspective of a dad, where if his son's in trouble and something like this gets in his way, it's probably not going to end so hot

I'm not a father, but if, god forbid, I'm ever in that kind of scenario, you're all moving the fuck outta the way

No you aren't. Protestors are chained together across the road. You aren't going to get past them.

Vice

Those new methods work best when paired with traditional methods. Look at the Arab Spring as an example. While social media was crucial to spread information, a disruptive boots on the ground campaign really got it going. Regardless of the outcome, it was a very effective example of old school methods and new methods working together.

Interrupting some peoples day will get eyes on the info that are needed for progress.

This will result in maybe a 5 min blurb on the evening news. Im assuming the objective is to keep BLM in the news; then why not picket the Oakland Police Department? Same result, doesnt potentially block paramedics.

Care more about your fellow citizens being brutalized by the police state and maybe your little commute would be better, victim-blamers.

guys you gotta protest off to the side in designated zones so i can ignore you while i go about my day or else i will hate your cause.
I think white people completely misunderstood this joke:

1nmz1bO.jpg

So then you completely understand why black people are so upset?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Arrest these idiots.

Seriously. These BLM protesters showed up unarmed and not threatening to shoot police that try to remove them. These monsters must be stopped!

Meanwhile, send supplies to the white guys holed up on a Government Building for the last three weeks. Cops haven't even blocked off road access for them to keep breaking the law.

I get the emergency reasoning. Kids, medical issues, I get it. I really do.

But seeing how the deaths of black folks on live TV and the internet hasn't amounted to much legally or socially, I think I'm ok with folks forcing people's attention as if it's a crisis.

Which it is. One that has been going on for a very long time.

I will make a deal, if we can go 2 weeks without a fucked up instance of police bullshit I will never speak on it again. Til then stay salty

This is a trap bet

You'd be shocked what a vehicle weighing thousands of pounds will accomplish to a wall of flesh.

Which in the scenario he's describing would be what happens.

That...is the nuclear option..? As in, I'd probably drop a nuke -instead- of doing that?

So then you completely understand why black people are so upset?

I understand that I should probably beat up Slayven for trying to pull a Boy Meets World and getting in my way

Slayven

Seriously. Showing up to a protest unarmed and not threatening to shoot police that try to remove them. These monsters must be stopped!

Meanwhile, send supplies to the White guys holed up on a Government Building for the last three weeks. Cops haven't even blocked off road access for them to keep breaking the law.

White guys that shut down schools for a whole week, threaten grovement employees, and has human shields

But god forbid a brown person costs somebody an extra 5 minutes on their way to starbucks.

If being inconvenienced by people protesting to end police brutality makes you less sympathetic to their cause, then you probably didn't care about it all that much to begin with.
"Make sure you protest in a way that I can easily ignore and go about my day."
Would you be less annoyed if they were white?
I'm beginning to wonder how many times this can be said to the same people. Then again..who the fuck had school on MLK day? Hmmm..

you do have a special talent for being a miserable cunt

I take it that you're not a fan of slayven or protests that obstruct traffic. The latter is a guess since none of your posts have addressed the topic of this thread.

On topic: protests aren't meant to accommodate the people that aren't protesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom