• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLK Day Protesters Block Traffic on the Bay Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The protesters are currently getting arrested it seems.

Frankly, they are living up to MLK Jr's legacy far better than any of us. So I applaud them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
White guys that shut down schools for a whole week, threaten grovement employees, and has human shields

But god forbid a brown person costs somebody an extra 5 minutes on their way to starbucks.

Don't forget theft and destruction of Government Property!

Arrest these idiots.

I hope they do arrest the protestors it just only further proves their point. In honor of MLK Day let my post one of MLK's famous quotes coincidentally enough from his letter from a Birmingham jail

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

I'm beginning to wonder how many times this can be said to the same people. Then again..who the fuck had school on MLK day? Hmmm..

I didn't have to work today
If protesters blocked my route to the mall today, I would be incredibly confused, because I live in the goddamn burbs, and there's like, five people here

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Or people trying to pick up their kids from somewhere. I'm a single father and every time I see these road blocks it makes me anxious about being prevented from reaching him.

I suspect it creates less sympathy for the movement when these actions are taken.

You can bring attention to something and make your voices heard without aggravating the shit out of the people you want on your side.

And yes, I'm aware of the history of protest blockades in relation to the civil rights movement.

I just think there are more effective techniques. Especially in today's information society.

Imagine if every time your kids left the house you were worried that a police officer might shoot them. And no one seemed to give a shit.

It might make you do drastic things to make it stop.

I hope they do arrest the protestors it just only further proves their point. In honor of MLK Day let my post one of MLK's famous quotes coincidentally enough from his letter from a Birmingham jail

Last year (I think last year?) I went to the reading for this the day before MLK day at the Eastern State Penitentiary here in Philly. Real good stuff. It's kind of disheartening seeing how the letter could still apply today without much modification, if any.

lol..Slay Day? Slay Day.

You ain't talking that school shit thought, Iron Fist..

#K'un-LunLivesMatter

Like, I can get being annoyed at a delay in your commute. I absolutely get that. But it's the response to that frustration that I don't understand. It seems that every time I see someone get upset about the obstruction of traffic, it makes them less inclined to support the cause. Which is stupid. I mean, thinking about it in a "What actions can I take to alleviate this problem" manner, supporting these causes is quite likely the only way to stop these sorts of things from happening. Like, if people are blocking traffic because black people keep getting killed by cops, then the best way to stop the traffic obstructions is to throw your support behind the cause of stopping black people getting killed by cops. So even if you were callously unconcerned by people being unfairly persecuted because of the color of their skin, the strictly sociopathic, "fix this problem" mentality still should call for you to get upset at the system that is persecuting people because of the color of their skin.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192596567]If you're in traffic behind these guys, that makes you the victim.[/QUOTE]

The victim of having shitty parents who failed in your moral upbringing, maybe, if you see yourself as the victim in that scenario.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
I don't think I'm very well versed in protests, but what is the benefit of holding up traffic? Is it meant to:

a) bring media attention to the cause

b) bring attention to the people in traffic

c) make people angry and inconvenienced enough that they will start working on a solution just to avoid more similar obstructions in the future

I'm guessing some combination of all 3?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
"Yeah, yeah, yeah I'm for your struggle but don't fucking inconvenience me."

People will sell their fellow citizens out for a chicken sandwich so dont get your hopes up for winning people to your cause by keeping them from getting to or from work for a few hours.

ronito

I don't think I'm very well versed in protests, but what is the benefit of holding up traffic? Is it meant to:

a) bring media attention to the cause

b) bring attention to the people in traffic

c) make people angry and inconvenienced enough that they will start working on a solution just to avoid more similar obstructions in the future

I'm guessing some combination of all 3?
You shut up!

Like, I can get being annoyed at a delay in your commute. I absolutely get that. But it's the response to that frustration that I don't understand. It seems that every time I see someone get upset about the obstruction of traffic, it makes them less inclined to support the cause. Which is stupid. I mean, thinking about it in a "What actions can I take to alleviate this problem" manner, supporting these causes is quite likely the only way to stop these sorts of things from happening. Like, if people are blocking traffic because black people keep getting killed by cops, then the best way to stop the traffic obstructions is to throw your support behind the cause of stopping black people getting killed by cops. So even if you were callously unconcerned by people being unfairly persecuted because of the color of their skin, the strictly sociopathic, "fix this problem" mentality still should call for you to get upset at the system that is persecuting people because of the color of their skin.
Yep!

People like to say activists don't actually do anything, but I've never seen a group that does less than the people who criticize activists that inconvenience them.

People will sell their fellow citizens out for a chicken sandwich so dont get your hopes up for winning people to your cause by keeping them from getting to or from work for a few hours.

Yeah I'll punch these protesters out for some Chic-Fil-A, let's merge these hot-button threads into one megathread

I'd also do it for a Klondike Bar

Wow, fantastic quote. And people complain about the Star Wars movie repeating itself ... Life is a repeat.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RX8dQp5.png

aly

From people I talk to, black or otherwise, all annoyance is generated towards the protesters and things only matter at that time and place because it affects you directly. Just from today, people are asking why they don't protest at government buildings and police stations instead of blocking traffic in an already annoying area for people with important or unimportant things to do. It makes it seems like they are attacking them instead of the problem. Of course, that's not true, but meh what can you do.

Let's say an ambulance gets stuck on a bridge for an hour because of these jokers and some dude with a bunch of stab wounds bleeds out because he couldn't get to the hospital in time. Are the protestors still in the right?

How about all the other worthy causes? Equal pay for women, AIDS awareness, LGBT descrimination, starving children. Why not stick a new chain of people on the bridge every day? It's just exersizing free speech, right? How dare people complain?

Why not just bar doors to people's apartment buildings? I'm sure they'd get plenty of awareness that way.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
At least on the pictures you can see that police is on site. So I'd reckon that people in the traffic jam have formed a rescue lane that would allow emergency vehicles or other people in emergencies to contact the cops, explain their case, and pass, just like in normal traffic jams. I don't think that anyone here is putting anyone else at risk unreasonably.

Protests need to be slightly inconvenient to be heard, and a traffic jam is really at the very low end of inconveniences. I don't see a big issue here.

Dalek

Tremendous quote. Thank you for posting this.

Actually yea when the hell are they going to pull those Dbags out of Oregon. How is that allowed to continue especially when they have threatened violence. I mean I understand Bundy people want the goverment to act to Martyr themselves for an anti government stance. But is there nothing they can do?

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192597641]How about all the other worthy causes? Equal pay for women, AIDS awareness, LGBT descrimination, starving children. Why not stick a new chain of people on the bridge every day? It's just exersizing free speech, right? How dare people complain?[/QUOTE]

This is an appeal to Kant's Categorical Imperative, right?

Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction.

Interesting framework under which to analyze this situation, given the basis for the philosophy as described on wikipedia:

Kant expressed extreme dissatisfaction with the popular moral philosophy of his day, believing that it could never surpass the level of hypothetical imperatives: a utilitarian says that murder is wrong because it does not maximize good for those involved, but this is irrelevant to people who are concerned only with maximizing the positive outcome for themselves. Consequently, Kant argued, hypothetical moral systems cannot persuade moral action or be regarded as bases for moral judgments against others, because the imperatives on which they are based rely too heavily on subjective considerations.

Actually yea when the hell are they going to pull those Dbags out of Oregon. How is that allowed to continue especially when they have threatened violence. I mean I understand Bundy people want the goverment to act to Martyr themselves for an anti government stance. But is there nothing they can do?

I mean, no matter what you do, they'll still be ome form of hero to someone, but everyone is just sitting on their hands, letting these fuckers run the show. It's uh, interesting.

Pork

Banned
Then white people were never allies anyway.

But aren't non-allies exactly the people you want to convert? To have sympathy for you, so that you can get them to be on your side? And make more of a change?

If this is creating more support for the movement/getting more people to be sympathetic to the cause, then yeah, I'd say this is a good move. But if this is generating more support from only the people who were already supporting it anyway, then it'd say it's a bad one.

hokahey

Imagine if every time your kids left the house you were worried that a police officer might shoot them. And no one seemed to give a shit.

It might make you do drastic things to make it stop.

Oh believe me, I have. And I get it. I just disagree with this doing anything to get people on their side.

And it's sad how some people jump my shit without attempting intelligent discourse. I'm on the protestors side. They don't need to win me over. But shit won't change without influencing a lot of people that aren't currently on their side. And I simply disagree that this particular technique is fruitful.

Mother fuck me all you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom