• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elephant seal determined to try and cross Northern California highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
WiFQ4hM.jpg

Why do seals always have to be such drama queens?

Jeez, stop overreacting.

cce9cf0a50236df3cd4709ec06e78d31.gif

tumblr_nqa24i6t8j1tlb56zo1_500.gif

Tuck

I'm surprised they were getting so close to the animal without any protective gear. Figured it might have a tasty bite.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Excuse me, I couldn't help but overhear you disparaging sea lions. Could you tell me why you can't 'do without them'? Is there any proof that they are so negative in your mind or is it... something else. I'm just asking questions so please answer promptly thanks.

GO AWAY

Freaking sea lions...

MikeDown

Banned
Police brutality at its finest. Seals pay their taxes, they have a right to public thoroughfares like another 'Merican. #seallivesmatter

jeremy1456

They have a very chill reputation, I don't think they're dangerous to humans.

Do you live in Northern California?

"We've survived by hiding from them, by running from them." /Matrix

Long story short, in Northern California if you see these guys on the beach you do NOT want to get too close.

EDIT: I'm referring to Northern California because that, and in Oregon, are my only experiences with them. You can tell the tourists apart from the locals specifically on if they get too close and get chased away.

Cerium

Do you live in Northern California?

"We've survived by hiding from them, by running from them." /Matrix

Long story short, in Northern California if you see these guys on the beach you do NOT want to get too close.

EDIT: I'm referring to Northern California because that, and in Oregon, are my only experiences with them. You can tell the tourists apart from the locals specifically on if they get too close and get chased away.

But what about this guy?

Or this guy.

And this guy!

jeremy1456

A couple youtube videos does not make the species suddenly not dangerous.

Plus, those are videos of pups. You simply do not approach them on the beach. You could end up like the tourists crying and being like "why are they chasing me?"

Seals are not to be messed with people. In this case it's warranted because she's in danger of being hurt or hurting people.

They DO NOT have a 'chill' reputation. I almost feel bad about posting this because it's so fun to watch people run full blast away from them when they realize it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So the final update:

About 2:30 p.m., the animal swam to the north side of Highway 37 under a viaduct and emerged from the water. Once she was on solid ground, Shawn Johnson, director of veterinary science at the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, ran up and stuck her with a pole-mounted tranquilizer.

Within minutes, the seal collapsed and stopped moving. Other rescuers rushed in, put the unconscious animal on a tarp and carried her to a waiting truck.

Officials immediately took blood and tissue samples, and conducted an ultrasound at the scene that confirmed the seal was pregnant, officials said. The mother-to-be was put on a truck and driven to the Point Reyes National Seashore, where she was to be released Tuesday at Chimney Rock.

JhQxnJD.jpg

uITEauB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom