• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hironobu Sakaguchi Has A New Title To Announce In 2017

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sakaguchi said he's working on a console game and said that he would probably reveal it in a year. This was in January.
https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/27/new-mistwalker-game-consoles-hironobu-sakaguchi/
Actually that was a misreporting:

Hi there. So as stated I'm the guy who was at the talk/Q&A. Just to clarify a few things:

- The art is courtesy of Fujisaka. Part of the reason Sakaguchi wants the game's art to have that sort of sketch 3D look is because of how much of a fan he is of Fujisaka's artwork.
- He didn't state definitively if it was going to be console or mobile. However, an answer to a question seemed to indicate that it was very much a possibility. Unfortunately, I personally don't have a recording of the question (or any). Given that the game will have a 3D art style, that does at least push it a bit more towards the console side (at least in my eyes). Thankfully, my school did record the talk. Hopefully that will be uploaded somewhere soon. In which case, I'll make sure to post a link.
- Beyond that, there was very little actual discussion of the game in question. More than anything it was a question and answer session.

I shot a video of him discussing the artwork (as well as some artwork for some upcoming Terra Battle stuff). In that video you can see an early prototype of what they're trying to go for in the game's look. It's uploading as we speak. It's about 9 minutes long, and the stuff specifically relevant to the new game are in the back half of the video. I'll post a link to that once it finishes uploading.

Trago

Lost Odyssey is great, but I'd rather have a new ip. Whoever needs to bankroll it, just do it!

The more Gooch the better.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The Last Story 2, I believe!

I would scream if it was a sequel to The Last Story :D

I'm with you both. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is indeed a console game and indeed a sequel to The Last Story. One of my favourite RPG's ever. You can do it Nintendo. I was thinking of holding off on a Switch but I'd get one for sure if there was a The Last Story sequel.

Rymuth

Whatever happened to the console port of Terra Battle? Is that still on-going or does he quietly wish we'd forgotten about it?

ReaperXL7

Didn't they say they were working on a console version of Terra Battle at one point? I think that was pretty close to when Terra Battle launched though so I doubt that's still happening.

Edit* beaten.

He didn't care for the PS3 since it was a nightmare to work on out the gate.

I thought he fell out with Sony because of Spirits Within?

This is pretty fucking funny because Matsuno actually did scenarios for Terra Battle.

I might be wrong on this, I haven't played TB but that's what I was told.

As far as I know, it didn't happen, yet it was promised after the 1.5 million downloads milestone.

Duckroll should know. ;)

Did Sakaguchi have a falling out with Sony? He never makes games for them.

I don't think so. It just happens that only MS and Nintendo were more interested that Sony.

And seeing all his bombas they did the right thing

theofficefan99

Why didn't he just stick to The Last Story's art style? :(

That said, pls Sakaguchi you deserve SE's budget and SE deserves your talent. Just get back in there

Byvar

I have been waiting for this ever since he first mentioned it. Just a little bit longer...

For those interested in the video where he revealed that concept art, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDTpXsVrP-g&feature=youtu.be&t=6m1s
As you can see, there is no mention of consoles at all, though he did say he wanted 3D graphics that recreate Fujisaka's art style, with pencil lines and all. Plus, the announcement of their joint development talks about "great graphics" and "the excellent programming technology of Silicon Studio", so that's good news at least.
But as duckroll pointed out to me, it's sadly quite likely that it's a high-end mobile title rather than a console game.

This is pretty fucking funny because Matsuno actually did scenarios for Terra Battle.
Hahaha... ha... ha... :'(
Matsuno World is never coming out, is it.

Why didn't he just stick to The Last Story's art style? :(

That said, pls Sakaguchi you deserve SE's budget and SE deserves your talent. Just get back in there

Well SE kinda pushed him out after Spirits Within. That's why you see SE trying hard recently to get back into his good graces like inviting him to the FF15 reveal and treating him like the legend he is.

I can only hope that their recent efforts are for the purpose of getting the Chrono Trigger team back together for a sequel. Please!!!!!

Ray Down

Banned
Well SE kinda pushed him out after Spirits Within. That's why you see SE trying hard recently to get back into his good graces like inviting him to the FF15 reveal and treating him like the legend he is.

They also had him on a stream where he was clearly drinking to much and "shit talking" Kitase.

theofficefan99

I absolutely would not mind if he became the main producer or director of FF again. I could see it happening. Maybe I'm just being delusional.

But seriously Sakaguchi pls if it's a console game don't use that art style

They also had him on a stream where he was clearly drinking to much and "shit talking" Kitase.
This would definitely happen to me IRL

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think we already saw the IP he's working on, its a new IP Mistwalker is working on with Silicon Studio

7639782_hironobu-sakaguchi-shows-concept-art-for_de626802_m.jpg

And he implied it was not a mobile title and for console, which is interesting. but if its with Silicon, it probably would not be considering their huge shiny console engine.

Yup they'll take whatever he dishes at this point to get back on his good side.

Seems to me they are desperate to be on good terms with him again. I don't really know why a corporation would really care to do this without some financial ulterior motive...

Another surf game, this time on iOS and it uses metal!

Whatevs, Sakaguchi-san. I have no faith in you, although I respect most of your work immensely.

I pray it's something for Switch, though lol. Then I'd totally get it.

theofficefan99

Yup they'll take whatever he dishes at this point to get back on his good side.

Seems to me they are desperate to be on good terms with him again. I don't really know why a corporation would really care to do this without some financial ulterior motive...

I can agree with this. Uncovered, plus he's even in FFXV's credits!

Byvar

According to Gooch himself, that doesn't seem to be what's going on. Glixel had an interview with him last month where he said this:
You were brought on the stage for the Uncovered Final Fantasy XV event this March, which was a surprise. It also seemed like this was sort of a reconciliation between you and Square Enix. Is that how we should read this?
That’s a difficult question. Do you want the honest answer? As a company, it made sense for [Square Enix] to distance themselves from me. Obviously, I had a strong influence on the people who were there and that’s not necessarily a positive thing for a company that needs to carry on and continue growing. I can understand why things played out the way they did. However, 15 years have passed, and the people who are working there now and making Final Fantasy games now are not people I have worked with before, so my influence won’t be as big on them as it might have been in the past.

I wouldn’t say this represents a reconciliation so much as a new era. But I think Square Enix is also afraid that people are going to associate any success of the new Final Fantasy with the my seeming return, as if I have any influence on the game or am involved with the development. So they simply want me to show my face once in awhile as the initial creator of the series.

So it’s more of an endorsement?
Yes, that’s right.
Source: http://www.glixel.com/interviews/final-fantasy-creator-sakaguchi-on-remakes-xv-and-square-w452889
They just want him to tell the people who think FF died when he left Square that their newer games are still good FF games.

I think we already saw the IP he's working on, its a new IP Mistwalker is working on with Silicon Studio

And he implied it was not a mobile title and for console, which is interesting. but if its with Silicon, it probably would not be considering their huge shiny console engine.

so ...
Smirk-On?

wrowa

Readtheopandthreadbeforeposting.gif

Wait, that gif doesn't exist. It should, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The catch here is that it was announced by Silicon itself, who self publishes a bunch of mobile games, but has external publishers for their console work.

It's not impossible they changed business models, but when they IPO'd, it was more as a mobile/technology firm who had some console relations with outside vendors who would presumably control all the announcements.

I mean it's fine if people want to believe this is a console game, but I just feel I should point this stuff out before people get too disappointed.

Top Bottom