• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Historical eras that haven't been represented enough or at all in gaming

NovumAngel

Banned
Do you really think ACIII's setting was forgettable? Can you mention anything else that better recreates historical settings than the AC franchise?

On topic:
I would really like a lot of settings for the next AC games, like India (any period), Russian revolution etc.

And as it was mentioned before I would love to have games that are set in the 90's and early 00's, when I was a kid/teen. The best I can think of is GTA San Andreas, what I would give to have a sequel to that game...
While they aren't mainline title, Assassin's Creed has dabbled in India, Russia and even China in the Chronicles spin-offs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_Chronicles

Aces&Eights

I'd love a game set at the height of the Aztec empire. Warring factions, the Spanish invasion, playing as either side, really. You have the huge cities and the pyramids but can also jump to Spain and play in the cities there.

I'm surprised there aren't more games based on the Civil War. The only one off the top of my head is North And South. But this was the era in which America legitimately split, effectively becoming two countries. It's odd to me that American devs don't place more games in this timeline. A "brother vs. brother" campaign would be an interesting take.

I'd also like to see at least one game that takes place during the rise of communism in China. From the founding of the Communist Party of China to the rise of the Red Army and events like the Long March and the rise of the People's Liberation Army to Mao Zedong becoming China's leader in 1949 to the disastrous Great Leap Forward from 1958 to 1962 to more "recent" events like the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, this has always been a period that fascinated me, and I'd love to see a digital representation.

NovumAngel

Banned
Thanks, I know those too, but I would like those settings in fully fledged 3D open worlds, like in the main titles.
Yeah I get you, those games and the Vita spin-off Liberation had arguably more interesting settings than a couple of the mainline titles, Liberation even having a female lead. Guess it's just a case of them playing it safe with the big hitters.

I'll with one that has been mentioned a couple of times already but probably World War I/II but from other perspectives besides the frontlines we typically see in FPS, there were so many regions and special op's going on that are never touched upon and they would be very interesting to learn about.

From my own country I would suggest something along the lines of the 1916 Easter Rising or the Troubles with the IRA but i think those might be a little controversial for some people to talk about.

Seraphym

I enjoyed Primal, whilst historical accuracy is moot, I think it's a good place/era to set a game.
I realise that the Total War series has covered most major European conflicts but with the books on the Mongolian empire by Conn Iggulden and the Marco Polo Netflix series there is an opportunity for a rich setting and multiple viewpoints whilst history plays out in the background.

Sailent

Banned
Tired of seeing the american army defeating nazis. What about THE GREAT RED ARMY?! Or the situation seeing through the eyes of a Jew in WWII.

akuda

Thai and Indian culture always gets short shrift. There's always some clever Lara Croft or Nathan Drake running over crumbling temples. A game set back when those temples weren't just a backdrop for tomb raiders would be cool, especially with all the over-the-top color and decadence they have. Just, oodles of gold and flowers and gaudy, gaudy color. Just slap that right up on my 4K tv and I'll be a happy camper.

makaveli60

Yeah I get you, those games and the Vita spin-off Liberation had arguably more interesting settings than a couple of the mainline titles, Liberation even having a female lead. Guess it's just a case of them playing it safe with the big hitters.

I'll with one that has been mentioned a couple of times already but probably World War I/II but from other perspectives besides the frontlines we typically see in FPS, there were so many regions and special op's going on that are never touched upon and they would be very interesting to learn about.

From my own country I would suggest something along the lines of the 1916 Easter Rising or the Troubles with the IRA but i think those might be a little controversial for some people to talk about.
Yes and I'm worried that since those settings were used already they will never make main titles with those. But let's hope... :)

Lucumo

I would be interested in a linear (or story-driven) rpg with a focus on the genocide of indigenous people pre 1940's.

Particularly a game during the time of early colonialism and genocide in the Americas or maybe even specifically following certain people that are being celebrated to this day without many people knowing about the dark sides of them.
Good luck getting an "anti-American" media piece like that out there.

More games set in the middle ages, particularly the HRE. Such an interesting political construct and too many stories to tell.

the Korean war hasn't been widely covered in gaming i think
Would never happen with historical accuracy. I mean, there are good reasons why North Korea wants the US nuked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom