• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman (2016) PC performance thread

not out yet

not out yet

battlefront

"PS4 runs the game at 1600x900. Rather than simply opting for a general preset based on the PC version, the evidence suggests that DICE has customised the console versions on a per-map basis. In one map, a variable could match the PC's high setting while, in another map, we'd see something that was lower than low."

Hard to do a fair comparison still the 950 runs the game fine.

black ops 3

no idea about this, not even interested to do my research.

Game runs at 60fps maxed. Can't go higher than that, it's capped. A 950 performs the same as a 980Ti at 1080p.

Ps4? Besides it runs on 40-50fps with lowered settings, not directly comparable again.

Now if I were to play by your rules I could pick "my games" which run double the performance compared to consoles and claim a simple 950 is twice more powerful than a ps4. See how that works?

not out yet

not out yet

"PS4 runs the game at 1600x900. Rather than simply opting for a general preset based on the PC version, the evidence suggests that DICE has customised the console versions on a per-map basis. In one map, a variable could match the PC's high setting while, in another map, we'd see something that was lower than low."

Hard to do a fair comparison still the 950 runs the game fine.

no idea about this, not even interested to do my research.

Game runs at 60fps maxed. Can't go higher than that, it's capped. A 950 performs the same as a 980Ti at 1080p.

Ps4? Besides it runs on 40-50fps with lowered settings, not directly comparable again.

Now if I were to play by your rules I could pick "my games" which run double the performance compared to consoles and claim a simple 950 is twice more powerful than a ps4. See how that works?

Ive not seen any evidence that battlefront on ps4 is lower than low. Have a link? You need a 950 to match the ps4 in battlefront.

A 950 is needed to match the ps4 in SFV per DF.

In which games does a 950 double a ps4?

they are out in a couple weeks. Not sure what youre expecting to chang

dr_rus

hitman
division
battlefront
black ops 3
SFV
RotTR

What's wrong with SFV now? Even your favorite GameGPU don't show anything bad happening with NV's h/w in it:

SF_V_2560.jpg

TheMoon

What? I thought that the beta levels would be included in the first content pack.

They are, obviously. Who would waste this much design effort?

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/hitman-pc-beta

The Prologue features two free-form training hits, which will introduce players to the features and mechanics of the upcoming HITMAN game. The Prologue will also be available as part of the first episode of HITMAN releasing March 11th, 2016.

Really?

SF_V_1920.jpg

Note that "Very High Quality" is higher than what's possible on PS4 in this resolution.

DF played the game more extensively and a 950 is the minimum gpu that can meet the ps4s experience. the benchmark sequence gamegpu used doesnt cover the more demanding scenarios of the game

Saty

Performance Analysis: Hitman beta on PC

Taking a closer look at the two, the PS4 version falls into line with the PC game running with medium quality levels, with texture quality set to the top high setting

And we're pretty convinced that this time it's the GPU that is the major constricting factor, as the beta's CPU utilisation looks not only very low, but well-balanced across all eight threads.

We also tried out the budget-level GTX 750 Ti plus the R7 360, AMD's equivalent. The AMD advantage here is much more impactful as we see a significant increase in the lowest recorded frame-rates here. Even overclocked, the GTX 750 Ti can't match it. The medium quality preset is viable, with one caveat. 2GB graphics cards lock you to the lowest quality textures - significantly lower than PS4's presentation

knerl

Seems to be a trend lately that AMD performance is significantly better than Nvidia.

Based on only Hitman? Not seeing this "trend". This is also from a beta. In a game where the devs partnered with AMD. Wait until it's released and both companies have their respective drivers out.

Akronis

Hopefully this recent trend of lower performing AAA games on NVIDIA GPUs spurs their driver developers to actually fix shit.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
DF played the game more extensively and a 950 is the minimum gpu that can meet the ps4s experience. the benchmark sequence gamegpu used doesnt cover the more demanding scenarios of the game

Nope, DF just says 750ti is not quite as good and then adds "if you go up to a 950 you get better setting and IQ".

Note that vgas way slower than a 950 show the same results with 60 fps as minimum fps on that bench.
Damn, It plays fine on my 660, Never saw a slow down on medium setting (with high texture) in full hd. The PS4 version even show low-setting texture on some objects, I can say it looks better on my pc.

There's a big performance difference between vhq and medium setting (ps4-likes).

dr_rus

So suddenly Gamegpu isn't representative now because it doesn't fit into that "trend" theory of yours. Well, that was predictable.

As bad as it may sound I actually trust Gamegpu more that DigitalFoundry when it comes to performance measurements. DF is using a rather strange option of describing how a game runs with words instead of providing the data and graphs for everyone to see for themselves.

In any case there are two benchmark results now which show different picture. You really can't make anything out of this unless there will be a third one.

So suddenly Gamegpu isn't representative now because it doesn't fit into that "trend" theory of yours. Well, that was predictable.

As bad as it may sound I actually trust Gamegpu more that DigitalFoundry when it comes to performance measurements. DF is using a rather strange option of describing how a game runs with words instead of providing the data and graphs for everyone to see for themselves.

In any case there are two benchmark results now which show different picture. You really can't make anything out of this unless there will be a third one.

The scene they used for the benchmark isnt the most demanding is all.

dr_rus

The scene they used for the benchmark isnt the most demanding is all.

So? A game contains all types of scenes and a player is bound to get all of them at some point. Any benchmark based on just some short part of any game is just a sample of performance which may or may not indicate the game's general average performance. In other words - how do you know that DF's scene selection is a better representation of the game's performance than Gamegpu's? That's why I always look at as many different benchmarks as possible as this is the only way of knowing a game's average performance.

So? A game contains all types of scenes and a player is bound to get all of them at some point. Any benchmark based on just some short part of any game is just a sample of performance which may or may not indicate the game's general average performance. In other words - how do you know that DF's scene selection is a better representation of the game's performance than Gamegpu's? That's why I always look at as many different benchmarks as possible as this is the only way of knowing a game's average performance.

so, it has nothing to do with gamegpu not being representative. their benchmark is perfectly legit when it comes to comparing performance between various pc gpus since the test is the same for all of them. df showed even an overclocked 750ti having to use various low settings to provide 60 fps. the next step up is a 950. how does this not translate into a 950 being required to match the ps4 experience? performance will drop lower than the gamegpu benchmark in various parts of the game. a 950 is not going to be maintaining 60 fps maxed out during these scenarios. that becomes a bigger problem then some mild judder in this game.

dr_rus

so, it has nothing to do with gamegpu not being representative. their benchmark is perfectly legit when it comes to comparing performance between various pc gpus since the test is the same for all of them. df showed even an overclocked 750ti having to use various low settings to provide 60 fps. the next step up is a 950. how does this not translate into a 950 being required to match the ps4 experience? performance will drop lower than the gamegpu benchmark in various parts of the game. a 950 is not going to be maintaining 60 fps maxed out during these scenarios. that becomes a bigger problem then some mild judder in this game.

Why do you think that GPU is the only part which is needed to match PS4 experience? I haven't seen any proper test of SFV yet to arrive to such conclusion.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
how does this not translate into a 950 being required to match the ps4 experience? performance will drop lower than the gamegpu benchmark in various parts of the game.

As the bench shows, there's a big difference between the 950 and the 750ti and many cards in the middle. The card is a generation ahead.

And if DF talks about the 750ti being "almost there with the experience on PS4"...

You will match 60 fps with high settings with that card. Not quite "required to match the PS4 experience" or "minimum".

Why do you think that GPU is the only part which is needed to match PS4 experience? I haven't seen any proper test of SFV yet to arrive to such conclusion.

what do you mean by "the only part which is needed"?

As the bench shows, there's a big difference between the 950 and the 750ti and many cards in the middle. The card is a generation ahead.

And if DF talks about the 750ti being "almost there with the experience on PS4"...

You will match 60 fps with high settings with that card. Not quite "required to match the PS4 experience" or "minimum".

DF mentions you have the ability to push a setting or 2 to high on a 950

Why did you decide that the issue is in 950 and not in the CPU used or the amount of RAM the system had?

in the DF system? All they did was swap out the gpu from what i understand

What's the pc settings in pc that matches the terrible low res dithered shadows on ps4 to compare the performance results?

I think medium according to DF? Ill test it myself shortly.

edit - medium

MaLDo

What's the pc settings in pc that matches the terrible low res dithered shadows on ps4 to compare the performance results?

TheTrain

From the PCGamer event in London:

Hitman will support DirectX 12 at launch

http://www.pcgamer.com/hitman-will-support-directx-12-at-launch/

Here's a slide from the Hitman presentation detailing some of the expected improvements:

p5LXmXO8EuHJ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

• better multithreading
  • increased performance where CPU bound
  • better experiences for laptop gamers
  • asynchronous compute on AMD cards for significant performance gains
  • early days but we will continue expanding and improving on the Dx12 experience in future releases

DF PC seems awful. Searching "insert GPU" and "Game Name" on Youtube always gives way better results with an overlay that shows exactly whats going on with the hardware and far more varied playthroughs.

The 750 Ti seems to do just fine in these types of videos with the games you guys are arguing about.

DF PC seems awful. Searching "insert GPU" and "Game Name" on Youtube always gives way better results with an overlay that shows exactly whats going on with the hardware and far more varied playthroughs.

The 750 Ti seems to do just fine in these types of videos with the games you guys are arguing about.
Usually when DF is using the 750 Ti they're using an entry level CPU as well which is probably the limiting factor.

keep in mind the dx11 results at 1080p are cpu limited on some cards. you get a better idea of gpu perf scaling under dx11 at 1440p. but yeah a fury matching the 2nd fastest overclocked 980ti on the market is a massive win for amd. in dx12 the fury would likely be ahead based on perf scaling over a 390.

Crisium

I'm more interested in screenshot or video comparisons between DX11 and 12. Is it worth it in this title? It seems to have improved performance on the 390 they tested, so that's a good sign, but is there a visual difference?

dr_rus

keep in mind the dx11 results at 1080p are cpu limited on some cards. you get a better idea of gpu perf scaling under dx11 at 1440p. but yeah a fury matching the 2nd fastest overclocked 980ti on the market is a massive win for amd. in dx12 the fury would likely be ahead based on perf scaling over a 390.

In this AMD sponsored title. It's still too early to draw generic conclusions.

UnrealEck

yes, and almost all of them are early launch titles before games started using more compute and more vram
The GTX 950 still matched or exceeded a PS4 in performance in many games even new ones. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the 950 exceeds either console in most games even with its 2GB memory limitation.

dr_rus

PCGamesHw guys have added 280X results. The card is limited by the game to 1080p res and High textures, there are almost no gains from DX12 on it in such conditions.

dr_rus

PCGamesHw benches are updated again and now we can have a more or less complete picture between vendors in DX12 in this game:

YsKb.png

Questions:
A) WTH is happening to Pitcairn/270X in 1080p/DX12?
B) Why is 960 loosing 6% of performance in 1080p?
C) Why is 770 loosing 14,9% of performance in DX12 in 1080p?
None of this should be happening.

Top Bottom